What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greetings (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34

Footballguy
Let me start by saying that I have a lot of respect for a lot of posters on this board. I have been reading these boards for 2 years now and have used a lot of the knowledge I have acquired during those years to win myself the FF championships the last 2 years.

I am one of those that have moved from the FF Today boards, but I hope this is not held against me in any way :X (Are those boards ever going to be back up?). I noticed quite a few posters from there have migrated here too (Portis26, MKB4 etc)

I am hoping to enjoy my stay here by contributing more rather than simply reading it. As my name suggests, I am a huge Da Bears fan of course :thumbup:

I understand this is the shark pool so let's get down to business. Here are some of my random thoughts about the upcoming football/fantasy football season:

Random Thought #1:

In non PPR redraft leagues (12 team), drafting a Gates early (probably will require 2nd or 3rd round pick) will be a mistake IMHO. While he will get catches & yardage thanks to his talent and being the release valve for a "rookie" QB, I really do not believe he will get the TDs that would justify that high a selection. There are so many good TE sleepers this upcoming year that I would just wait and get my TE late. I can count 12 TEs (not in any particular order but see list below) who will all be bunched up really close this year so I would not go early on TEs and instead get a stud WR or RB early with that pick.

Gates

Gonzalez

Witten (with TO and a better OL than last year, Witten will do very well)

Jeremy Shockey (no explanation needed)

Crumpler (still #1 target)

Heath Miller (Will be gold with Bettis gone/less rushing TDs, Ben getting better)

Todd Heap (he did very well 2nd half of last year; if Kerry C gets there as back up to Boller, Heap will be solid again)

Dallas Clark (No Edge.....and Peyton can still throw....there will be chances)

Chris Cooley

Randy Mcmichael (will be very solid if Culpepper starts in that O)

LJ SMith (no TO means more red zone opportunities in a throw first O)

Ben Watson (no Givens, iffy running game, Brady will throw to him a lot)

And I have not even counted in my 12 TEs above:

Vernon Davis (great talent....depends on where he goes but can be good)

Jeremy Stevens (in a great O with great QB with less WR options than last year)

Ben Troupe (TE focussed O and one more year in it)

Alex Smith (2nd year in Gruden's offense.....no real #2 WR after Galloway gives him opportunities)

Kellen Winslow II - if he gets healthy, can be solid this year

In short, do not draft a TE early.....there is lots to choose from, especially in TD driven leagues where #s should be really stacked close together.

Random Thought #2:

Qbs like Bledsoe (TO, Glenn, JJ, MBIII, Witten), Kurt Warner (Boldin, Fitz, Edge, maybe Vernon Davis?) and Jake Delhomme (Keyshawn will add TDs in red zone in addition to what Steve Smith gets him) could have lots of value this upcoming year in redraft leagues, provided they stay healthy.

Random Thought #3:

I bet SNF or MNF will have the Cowboys at Eagles game this upcoming year....TO's coming back party

Random Thought #4:

Target the Bears, Seahawks & Patriots defense next year. Since the AFC East, NFC North and NFC West have some of the worst QBs next year and these will be 3 quality defenses that will take advantage of this.

For eg: If Favre retires, Bears will be playing no real QB in their division, and then they get to play against the 49ers, Jets and Bills too.

Last edited by a moderator:
In non PPR redraft leagues (12 team), drafting a Gates early (probably will require 2nd or 3rd round pick) will be a mistake IMHO.
Agreed
In short, do not draft a TE early.....there is lots to choose from
Agreed
Qbs like Bledsoe (TO, Glenn, JJ, MBIII, Witten), Kurt Warner (Boldin, Fitz, Edge, maybe Vernon Davis?) and Jake Delhomme (Keyshawn will add TDs in red zone in addition to what Steve Smith gets him) could have lots of value this upcoming year in redraft leagues, provided they stay healthy.
Agreed. This is the year of the RB becaue of the parity at QB and TE. QBs should be waited on because of the healthy amount of QB sleepers this year...you have mentioned just a few.

[

For eg: If Favre retires, Bears will be playing no real QB in their division, and then they get to play against the 49ers, Jets and Bills too.

Brad Johnson has a Superbowl ring. finished 7-2 last year.

Saying that, the Bears defense wll be drafted very high bcause of the aboved mentioned reasons and don'tforget the Cardinals game. If it is late in the season and Warner has been broke in half by then it could be ugly.

[

Brad Johnson has a Superbowl ring. finished 7-2 last year.

Saying that, the Bears defense wll be drafted very high bcause of the aboved mentioned reasons and don'tforget the Cardinals game. If it is late in the season and Warner has been broke in half by then it could be ugly.

I see the Bears D having no problems with a Johnson led offense with no real WRs & an average starting RB at best.

In non PPR redraft leagues (12 team), drafting a Gates early (probably will require 2nd or 3rd round pick) will be a mistake IMHO.
Agreed
In short, do not draft a TE early.....there is lots to choose from
Agreed
Agreed. This is the year of the RB becaue of the parity at QB and TE. QBs should be waited on because of the healthy amount of QB sleepers this year...you have mentioned just a few.
I am seriously thinking of going 3 RBs firs 3 rounds this year....with all of these RBBC around the league, I would rather get a Willis Mcgahee or Brian Westbrook in the 3rd round and then get the rest. WR value can be had late too.....look out for these values at WR after 4th round:

Muhsin Muhammad will rebound significantly. The guy is the #1 target in the offense, #1 redzone target in the passing game and now he has 2 good/solid Qbs in the wings.....so no issues if one goes down.

Andre Johnson will be better than last year with Reggie Bush there to make the O better and give him more redzone opportunities.

Roy Williams in the Martz offense.

Don't agree with your assessment of the Vikings WRs Sweetness

Koren Robinson is a decent WR - and between Williamson and Marcus Robinson, potentially Burleson they can find another. Wiggins could feature as well in the passing game.

Johnson is a decent game manager at this point in his career and if Childress wants as advertised to go to a power running game then they won't need star quality at either WR or QB positions - they will beed it on the OL and at RB.

To go to a power running game they need a defense that can stop the less than fantastic offenses in check in the NFC North.

Can Grossmann last a season (can Griese?), who will be Martz' darling (and will he be effective), Kitna or McCown? Is Martz a genius or was he blessed with great talent?

Big questions in NFC North - other than will Favre retire...

Welcome! Quick question, what do you think about Thomas Jones as a keeper? I got him in the 7th round last year!

oh by the way.....

-The Packers went 18-2 against Chicago from 1994-2003. On only four occasions in NFL history has a team enjoyed a better 20-game stretch against a single opponent.

Funny how Favre made your random thoughts.

I am seriously thinking of going 3 RBs firs 3 rounds this year....with all of these RBBC around the league, I would rather get a Willis Mcgahee or Brian Westbrook in the 3rd round and then get the rest.
I'm trying to understand what league you'd be able to get either one of these guys in the 3rd round. It would have to be 10 teams or less. In a 16 team, 1 ppr survivor league that we just started drafting for yesterday, they were both gone by the 11th overall pick. I agree with a lot of your points regarding strategy but talent like McGahee or Westbrook will not be available as late as you might think unless it's a very small league.

I am seriously thinking of going 3 RBs firs 3 rounds this year....with all of these RBBC around the league, I would rather get a Willis Mcgahee or Brian Westbrook in the 3rd round and then get the rest.
I'm trying to understand what league you'd be able to get either one of these guys in the 3rd round. It would have to be 10 teams or less. In a 16 team, 1 ppr survivor league that we just started drafting for yesterday, they were both gone by the 11th overall pick. I agree with a lot of your points regarding strategy but talent like McGahee or Westbrook will not be available as late as you might think unless it's a very small league.
I thought the same thing.......good theory but you're more likely in the Reuben Droughns, Willie Parker territory...........still a good theory. Guessing you meant to get the Westbrook types as your first.

Welcome Sweetness 34! My old username was rebel34, because of the greatest RB of all time- Walter Payton! You bring some great insight with your posts, welcome to the Shark Pool!

Welcome Sweetness 34! My old username was rebel34, because of the greatest RB of all time- Walter Payton! You bring some great insight with your posts, welcome to the Shark Pool!
Payton is my favorite player of all time when you factor in ALL of his attributes.

I think Devery Henderson is a sleeper at the WR position.
why, is horn out of there? I drafted him in the rookie draft, i'm hopin you're right

welcome sweetness 34. Darn good random thoughts for a rookie poster. lol It is not often a poster can make 4 comments and I can agree with all 4 at same time. We must think a like!

My guts on TE this year is GONZO will reclaim his 1 rank. But it's a dice roll call. So many coaching/QB changes it's a hard year to predict TE'S.

I am on GATES bandwagon. He has earned it. Just not Rivers! He has earned nothing yet!

Welcome aboard Sweetness 34! Some excellent thoughts, keep those coming, and you'll fit right in. :thumbup:

RW

Welcome! Quick question, what do you think about Thomas Jones as a keeper? I got him in the 7th round last year!

oh by the way.....

-The Packers went 18-2 against Chicago from 1994-2003. On only four occasions in NFL history has a team enjoyed a better 20-game stretch against a single opponent.

Funny how Favre made your random thoughts.
Ouch.....I guess I had it coming with the Favre vs Bears record..... :no: :rant: Thomas Jones as keeper this year.....hmmmmm......I see a RBBC but I also see Benson getting more and more carries, especially goal line, but I also have fears of Benson's health. If you have deep rosters, I would keep TJ stashed away. If he continues to start and/or Benson gets hurt, you are really set with our OL and run first mentality.

I have heard rumors (again rumors) on other Bears boards that if Jerry Angelo gets good compensation, he will trade Thomas Jones at the draft. If that happens and say he goes to the Colts or something, you will strike a jack pot. Stay tuned......

Some more sleeper WRs that have me intrigued since Devery Henderson was brought up are:

Mark Clayton - Balt (2nd year.....he came on well 2nd half of last year.....maybe Boller does get good finally this season?)

Mike Clayton - If he is healthy, he has to be pure value this year when he slips past the 7th round or so

(Are those boards ever going to be back up?).
yeah, they're back up now :ph34r: What about the falcons defense? the new additions of abraham and milloy have me intrigued :o
That is a good one too. On the turf, with John Abraham now on the other side of Kerney, they will be a FF point production dream.The only downside I see is that they do not have as easy a schedule as say the Pats, Bears or Seahawks do (all 3 of which have D talent too BTW).

Falcons schedule:

NO twice - If Brees starts/gets healthy & McAllister being back, that O will not be like last years Saints O (now if they get a Leinart/Vince YOung and start him this year, this will be a very good match up for the Falcons). I got a gut feeling though that Brees will start making this not such a good match up.

Car twice - Solid O that got better. Falcons weakness is against the pass, and Keyshawn + Steve Smith will bring it.

Bucs twice - this could be a solid match up if Tampa's OL stays weak and Simms does not develop much.

NFC East - Not really good match up at all (All 4 teams - Skins, Dallas, Eagles, Giants will have O)

AFC Central - Some good match ups (Browns, Ravens), some not (Cincy, Steelers). Even the Ravens and Browns may have much much better offenses this year (Mark Clayton, Heap healthy, Jamal + Mike Anderson, Derrick Mason for Ravens) and if Edwards, Droughns, KWII are back for Browns & they have done very well on the OL front in FA.

Arizona & Detroit - Depends on if Warner stays healthy and is starting or not when they play and depends on how far along the Kitna-led Martz O is at that point.

I guess a mixed bag of match ups.

Wow the Shark Pool must be feeling good today. No bashes yet? :eek:

Oh yea almost forgot... welcome Sweetness!

Users who are viewing this thread