What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Happy Steve Bartman 10th anniversary day (1 Viewer)

Gone are the days he can go to Wrigley. Gone are the days he can walk around Chicago in fear that someone will notice him.
If he shaved his head, grew a goatee and wore sunglasses, it would be next to impossible to identify him at Wrigley. Furthermore, it's been ten years. What kind of a POS would you have to be to hassle him even IF you did recognize him?

Gone are the days he can go to Wrigley. Gone are the days he can walk around Chicago in fear that someone will notice him.
If he shaved his head, grew a goatee and wore sunglasses, it would be next to impossible to identify him at Wrigley. Furthermore, it's been ten years. What kind of a POS would you have to be to hassle him even IF you did recognize him?
It only takes 1 guy and you know someone would do it.

As a fan of a fellow long-suffering franchise, I can't say just what I would do in a similar situation. Lets say the Jets made the superbowl, only to have their starting QB get injured in a car accident the week before the game. The other driver was probably at fault, but it obviously wasn't malicious. The Jets lose with their backup QB and the other driver's name and picture gets plastered all over the internet.

I'd like to think I'm a good enough person not to confront that guy if I ran into him at the grocery store or something, but when you've suffered for so long, only to get so close, you just never know.

I am not a bully. Never even close. But this guy, sitting there in his his stupid turtle neck and headphones to tune into the AM call of the game -- well, he represented, and looked like, everything like a very compassionate friend of mine said, "this guy deserved it. What a ####### pud."

It's terrible. It's not the correct position to take. But there's something so weirdly human about the whole scene. Mob justice ruled. And Alou had a ton to do with it. RIP, Barts.

*BTW, Dwight Evans always had a ton of class. Just a ton. Love that clip of him with Damon before the 2004 WS. "Just win it," he said, "just win it. Win it." Good for him.

eta2* I'll never forget being in a bar in Spfld., MA when the Sox played their 2003 seventh game against the Yankees. Some ####### -- knowing what just happened in Chicago -- yells out "five more outs!" He's wearing a Cubs hat. Pedro folds, and the bar is just furious. True story.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been 10 years so my memory is a little foggy...but I thought that was the 8th inning of game 6..the Cubs would have been out of the inning but made an error on a DP ball after the Bartman incident.

Then the Cubs also lost game 7..who was to blame for the game 7 loss?

It has been 10 years so my memory is a little foggy...but I thought that was the 8th inning of game 6..the Cubs would have been out of the inning but made an error on a DP ball after the Bartman incident.

The guy sitting next to Bartman. Did you see the way he was staring at Kerry Wood?

The guy sitting next to Bartman. Did you see the way he was staring at Kerry Wood?
I just looked it up. Chicago ace picher Kerry Wood gave up 7 runs in 5 innings of Game 7..Chicago scored 6 runs....is Wood allowed back at Wrigley?

As a fan of a fellow long-suffering franchise, I can't say just what I would do in a similar situation. Lets say the Jets made the superbowl, only to have their starting QB get injured in a car accident the week before the game. The other driver was probably at fault, but it obviously wasn't malicious. The Jets lose with their backup QB and the other driver's name and picture gets plastered all over the internet.

I'd like to think I'm a good enough person not to confront that guy if I ran into him at the grocery store or something, but when you've suffered for so long, only to get so close, you just never know.
:rolleyes:

Not saying I'd hit the guy or anything, but it would be hard to stop myself from giving him a hard time

It still amazes me that Bartman has not been heard from at all. Unless I missed some random report, the guy simply disappeared.

Whatever he is doing, I hope he is doing well. Marriage? Family? Job transfer? Name change? The guy vanished like a fart in the wind. If criminals were only as smart as him.
Pretty sure Bartman's findable.
You want Bartman's address? I can get you Bartman's address, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
I believe he's in financial services, so he's got to be licensed which means you can look him up and likely find his work address.

Still, who cares?

Not saying I'd hit the guy or anything, but it would be hard to stop myself from giving him a hard time
Keep your green fire helmet on, Tony. :rolleyes:

It still amazes me that Bartman has not been heard from at all. Unless I missed some random report, the guy simply disappeared.

Whatever he is doing, I hope he is doing well. Marriage? Family? Job transfer? Name change? The guy vanished like a fart in the wind. If criminals were only as smart as him.
Pretty sure Bartman's findable.
You want Bartman's address? I can get you Bartman's address, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
I believe he's in financial services, so he's got to be licensed which means you can look him up and likely find his work address.

Still, who cares?
Still lives in Chicago, and is still a Cub fan.

I can honestly say I wouldn't give the guy any crap. And I'm a huge fan of my teams. I'd also be blown away and bothered if I saw him and saw that other people were giving him crap.

I can honestly say I wouldn't give the guy any crap. And I'm a huge fan of my teams. I'd also be blown away and bothered if I saw him and saw that other people were giving him crap.
:goodposting:

TheIronSheik said:
TLEF316 said:
Raider Nation said:

That's the thing, the couple douches who would still give him trouble 10 years later would be outnumbered by the thousands. Anyone giving him a hard time would be put in their place.

TheIronSheik said:
TLEF316 said:
Raider Nation said:

That's the thing, the couple douches who would still give him trouble 10 years later would be outnumbered by the thousands. Anyone giving him a hard time would be put in their place.
That's not my experience at all. Most people don't speak up when they see bullies. They "don't want to get involved".

This broke my will to love baseball. I agree that I *just knew* we would lose after the incident. You could just feel how Moises' tantrum negatively impacted the entire attitude of the team. I just knew we wouldn't get out of any jam, that something terrible would happen next, and that there was *no* way we were winning a Game 7.

Follow this up with watching the Marlins beating the Yankees (that could have been us) and then the Red Sox getting theirs shortly afterward, I just gave up. :sadbanana:

I finally got over it and watch again this year actually, just isn't the same.

Da Guru said:

Just like Game 6: The Curse.

(duh)

This broke my will to love baseball. I agree that I *just knew* we would lose after the incident. You could just feel how Moises' tantrum negatively impacted the entire attitude of the team. I just knew we wouldn't get out of any jam, that something terrible would happen next, and that there was *no* way we were winning a Game 7.

Follow this up with watching the Marlins beating the Yankees (that could have been us) and then the Red Sox getting theirs shortly afterward, I just gave up. :sadbanana:

JFC dude. Take a Xanax.

TLEF316 said:
T Bell said:
TLEF316 said:
Raider Nation said:

:lmao: What is the matter with you people?

JFC dude. Take a Xanax.
:(

:lmao: What is the matter with you people?
:goodposting:

Say what you want about Alex Gonzalez, but every Cubs fan out there felt the moment the air came out of the balloon, and that was when one unfortunate fan touched a foul ball that could have been caught. I'm not mad at Bartman—well, I was at the time—but Cubs fans feel these things on a level most sports fans will never understand. That moment is the moment the fear started. What if we blow it? What if that was where it all starts? And then subsequent events turned that fear into reality. And it was almost like some part of every fan wanted it to keep happening, so the sports world would pity us and this horrible unfair thing that had happened. I'll admit it. I've become addicted to the rage.
Agree that the air did come out of the balloon at that moment and I've always blamed Alou who over-reacted and put that team in full choke mode.

Users who are viewing this thread