What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harrington wants out of Detroit (1 Viewer)

Moving forward with this...what's KC's situation? I recall them being rumored to be very interested in Joey during the season....I haven't heard their name mentioned once since FA started period....

I was curious about the KC situation as well. Not sure, but wasn't it Vermeil & Saunders that liked Joey and thought he'd be a good fit with their offense? Not sure how the new regime/offense will view him.

I was curious about the KC situation as well. Not sure, but wasn't it Vermeil & Saunders that liked Joey and thought he'd be a good fit with their offense? Not sure how the new regime/offense will view him.
Yeah, I was thinking that... and now Saunders is in Washington and they appear committed to Campbell as their future guy.I can't see Harrington really having any trade value given that he still has a good-sized contract. I think he's more likely to be released.

I still feel like Harrington can be a good quarterback in this league in the right situation, but I'm not going to shed any tears if he moves on from Detroit.

No McCown is still available.

Not sure, but that Oakland thing is just a rumor that is not confirmed.
Again
Who's site it that?I cant find it anywhere like ESPN,KFFL, NFL.com, etc.

Not saying they are wrong, but if McCown signed, I think it would be all over by now.
BSS,FFlivewire is another site that a few of their writers/owners have been flooding places like the FBGs.com forums with self-serving links....trying to cyphen-off traffic on Joe and David's dime. Kinda makes me :hot: , although if they get too big for their britches, folks can do a little lookey-lookey to see how well they are adhering to US Copyright Law with their articles/summaries. Goodness-knows that they aren't following the rules when they are cutting and pasting full articles from media outlets without so much as giving them credit (and linking to their own site instead of the media outlet's site to boot!)

Repeatedly poking the sleeping bear with a stick isn't very smart, but some people out there just don't know when to stop poking...... :ph34r:
I dunno, until FBG's starts reporting all the news themselves, isn't any place short of the local newspaper "stealing" from here? Heck, the links to ESPN are probably worse, right? I mean, fflivewire has a forum and they have football stats but other than that what's the problem? They don't offer fantasy advice, which is what this place does. ESPN could be seen as direct competition to FBG's since they both sell similar services yet you're not complaining about them?Personally, I enjoy livewire because it rounds up every bit of news for me, trivial or not in one place. I choose what I read and Moose now credits the original source. I don't get the hate-it compliments this place well, it doesn't compete with it.

No McCown is still available.

Not sure, but that Oakland thing is just a rumor that is not confirmed.
Again
Who's site it that?I cant find it anywhere like ESPN,KFFL, NFL.com, etc.

Not saying they are wrong, but if McCown signed, I think it would be all over by now.
BSS,FFlivewire is another site that a few of their writers/owners have been flooding places like the FBGs.com forums with self-serving links....trying to cyphen-off traffic on Joe and David's dime. Kinda makes me :hot: , although if they get too big for their britches, folks can do a little lookey-lookey to see how well they are adhering to US Copyright Law with their articles/summaries. Goodness-knows that they aren't following the rules when they are cutting and pasting full articles from media outlets without so much as giving them credit (and linking to their own site instead of the media outlet's site to boot!)

Repeatedly poking the sleeping bear with a stick isn't very smart, but some people out there just don't know when to stop poking...... :ph34r:
I dunno, until FBG's starts reporting all the news themselves, isn't any place short of the local newspaper "stealing" from here? Heck, the links to ESPN are probably worse, right? I mean, fflivewire has a forum and they have football stats but other than that what's the problem? They don't offer fantasy advice, which is what this place does. ESPN could be seen as direct competition to FBG's since they both sell similar services yet you're not complaining about them?Personally, I enjoy livewire because it rounds up every bit of news for me, trivial or not in one place. I choose what I read and Moose now credits the original source. I don't get the hate-it compliments this place well, it doesn't compete with it.
MKB4 aka Moose Knuckle Ball Four was banned for, among other things, posting articles w/o links and claiming them as his own at FFtoday when it was UNMODERATED. Slimey.

At least wehn he posts here he has the original author, but no link to verify its authenticity.

Last edited:
What happened to all the Martz - Harrington Love that was being thrown around?
File it under "Things the new coach is supposed to say even if it isn't true".
Martz went a little beyond what he had to say. He first said he saw some positives in Joey and that would have been enough, but then he got in to that whole Oregon Gunslinger bit.I don't doubt that Martz likes Harrington. It appears that Harrington doesn't like Martz. Which is pretty stupid on Joey's part, because he's not going to find another situation where he'd be given the chance to start and be mentored by an offensive genius.

Yeah....if what is being reported is true, you can't pin this on marinelli or Martz at all....sounds like Joey didn't like being yelled at after a week of QB school with Martz. :shrug:

Yeah....if what is being reported is true, you can't pin this on marinelli or Martz at all....sounds like Joey didn't like being yelled at after a week of QB school with Martz. :shrug:
Bingo. :cry: :rant:

Bingo. :cry: :rant:
How'd Orlovsky take it? :Dynastyowner: :hey:
Same here, and I'm guessing Orlovsky is just A. happy to be on an NFL team

B. happier to see Joey whining = opportunity!

C. If he's smart, he sees what Martz has done with other unheralded QBs and wants to work.

How'd Orlovsky take it?  :Dynastyowner:  :hey:
If I had to make a guess right now I'd say the QB situation will be.Kitna

Cutler/Young

Shawn King

Orlovsky to the PS.
here is my list1. Jon Kitna

2. Omar Jacobs (2nd Round Pick)

3. Orlovsky

Shawn King will not be on this team come september.

Omar Jacobs:

Positives: Size (6-4 and 224 pounds), strength, and athleticism. ... Strong arm, large hands. ... Puts plenty of zip on deep outs and is able to get the ball into tight spaces ... Wonderful accuracy and touch on short and intermediate throws.

Negatives: Tends to pull down the ball and run too soon; needs to become more comfortable working from the pocket. ... Throwing mechanics require work. ... Field vision, ability to read defenses.

How'd Orlovsky take it?   :Dynastyowner:  :hey:
If I had to make a guess right now I'd say the QB situation will be.Kitna

Cutler/Young

Shawn King

Orlovsky to the PS.
here is my list1. Jon Kitna

2. Omar Jacobs (2nd Round Pick)

3. Orlovsky

Shawn King will not be on this team come september.

Omar Jacobs:

Positives: Size (6-4 and 224 pounds), strength, and athleticism. ... Strong arm, large hands. ... Puts plenty of zip on deep outs and is able to get the ball into tight spaces ... Wonderful accuracy and touch on short and intermediate throws.

Negatives: Tends to pull down the ball and run too soon; needs to become more comfortable working from the pocket. ... Throwing mechanics require work. ... Field vision, ability to read defenses.
I could see that, I just think the ability to put Orlovsky on the practice squad and the King's former Buc ties will work in his favor.

Another QB signed does look like Joey is on his way out the door. Cutler or V.Young could be wearing a Lions jersey very soon, learning the ropes this year behind Kitna.

I reported this yesterday...but OK.
I remember that... we were all asking for sources or a link which we never got.Curious, do you have connections within the league or was this just speculation that ended up true?
Got it from a friend who is very informed ...I couldn't however provide any credible links at the time. So, I just let it go as I figured everyone would just call :bs: Can I also just add that the Kitna signing is very telling to me. Kitna was widely praised for how well he helped and mentored Palmer. This would indicate to me that Detroit has plans to bring in someone who is less expereinced that would still benefit from Kitna's mentoring.

Kitna.. imo....is not a good fit to be in a 1a/1b QB type of situation (ala the Harrington/Garcia merry-go-round). Kitna is much better suited to being the "2" QB.

As the Lions are now where close to contending for anything serious, bringing in another veteran presence in front of Kitna doesn't make much sense. Many are speculating that they are looking at Kerry Collins. This makes little to no sense to me.

To me...Josh McCown is the likely choice, however I would not be surprised by Ramsey or taking a QB at 9.

Possible dark horse: Patrick Ramsey

Haringon is gone and will save the Lions some cap room.

Just my 0.02.
If i may say so..... :goodposting:

Another QB signed does look like Joey is on his way out the door.  Cutler or V.Young could be wearing a Lions jersey very soon, learning the ropes this year behind Kitna.
I doubt this. McCown and Kitna will be #1 and #2. I think McCown or Orlovsky might be their "future" guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't see Orlovsky as their "future". I think this makes it more likely they go for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1st - OL (assuming Justice is still there)

2nd - CB or QB

3rd - QB or CB

I just don't see Orlovsky as their "future". I think this makes it more likely they go for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

2nd - CB or QB

3rd - QB or CB
I don't see them drafting another QB at all. Why would they?Kitna, McCown, King and Orlovksy

I think they have enough to get by and possibly even be fairly good.

Harrington likely cut by Monday

Tom Kowalski confirms that, yes, Joey Harrington is expected to be cut by Monday morning. Before off-season workouts begin, as had been rumored by a couple outlets since yesterday's story that he asked to be released.

The release will be accelerated if another QB signs.

If, for some reason, Harrington is not released by then he is expected to not attend the workouts. One reason could be that the Lions are working out trade details that will send him elsewhere.

Source

I think Orlovsky will be cut. Martz would probably rather find his own late-round QB project, who would then have to beat out King for the 3rd spot.

so where does harrington end up? oakland?
KC should be and used to be interested ...
But the people who were interested (Vermeil, Saunders) aren't in charge there anymore.
Carl Peterson is still there and he controls all personnel moves ... Trent Green is old, and Dmon Huard is not a legitimate No.2 and is certainly not a Qb of the future ...

IMO, Kitna & McNown are no better than Harrington. If Detroit wants to use Harrington as the scape goat then thats fine but they havent done any upgrade to the Position. Just swapped some players around.

Until Detroit does something to show that they realize they need to protect ANYONE that is the QB they will be nothing more than a .500 team at best.

Millen has provent time and time again in the drafting of players and free agent moves that he doesnt recognize that the OLine is the weakest point of this team. I was hoping to see him going after some Free Agents in this area but all I have seen is once again signing offensive players thinking that is the place that needs adjustment.

Lets look at the signings so far:

Corey Bradford - WR -

Shawn Bryson - RB -

Dan Campbell - TE

Eddie Drummond - WR

Kalimba Edwards - DL

Shaun King - QB

Jon Kitna - QB

Victor Rogers - OL

How do any of these signings solve their number one problem of protecting the QB and giving the recievers time to get open? Also, the defense wasnt all that great if i remember right as well. I would think they would want to look at addressing that in the Draft as well.

I would think that if Martz is going to develop the QB's into the Pass first model of the old Rams, that you would at least like to have your QB be able to pass instead of picking himself off the ground every play.

so where does harrington end up? oakland?
OkalandTampa

Baltimore

Jets?

All of the above need a QB.

Possibly some teams that have aging QB's as well but who knows what type of Money Joey will want so cap room could be a problem.

Arizona could also use someone behind Warner.

If Detroit wants to use Harrington as the scape goat then thats fine...
Maybe you have not been keeping up...This (so far) appears to just as much Joeys decision to leave as Detroits decison to let him go. Maybe other facts will shake out in the days and weeks to come, but so far this is NOT simply Detroit dumping on Joey.

Maybe you have not been keeping up...This (so far) appears to just as much Joeys decision to leave as Detroits decison to let him go. Maybe other facts will shake out in the days and weeks to come, but so far this is NOT simply Detroit dumping on Joey.
I disagree, by signing Kitna and Josh it looks to me like they now dont have the confidence in Joey. They did this last year to him as well with the signing of Garcia.If Garcia doesnt break his leg then i think the drama would have been greater. The media, the Fans, and everyone has been down on Joey since he hasnt won games.

I would say he was forced out. It would be different if Joey had the backing of the coaches and was the team leader and knew his role. If he had the job, and they brought in Kitna as the backup, and Joey said he wants out, then i would agree with you.

It just seems to me like they forced his hand rather than Joey not being a team player.

I disagree, by signing Kitna and Josh it looks to me like they now dont have the confidence in Joey. They did this last year to him as well with the signing of Garcia.If Garcia doesnt break his leg then i think the drama would have been greater. The media, the Fans, and everyone has been down on Joey since he hasnt won games.

I would say he was forced out. It would be different if Joey had the backing of the coaches and was the team leader and knew his role. If he had the job, and they brought in Kitna as the backup, and Joey said he wants out, then i would agree with you.

It just seems to me like they forced his hand rather than Joey not being a team player.
Not sure where you're getting your news. Joey WANTS OUT and the new Lion coaches also want him gone.It's mutual--but make no mistake: Joey made his feelings known loud and clear.

I just don't see Orlovsky as their "future".  I think this makes it more likely they go for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

2nd - CB or QB

3rd - QB or CB
I don't see them drafting another QB at all. Why would they?Kitna, McCown, King and Orlovksy

I think they have enough to get by and possibly even be fairly good.
Because none of those QBs are the answer?

Carl Peterson is still there and he controls all personnel moves ... Trent Green is old, and Dmon Huard is not a legitimate No.2 and is certainly not a Qb of the future ...
No need for Harrington in KC. Casey Printers to Samie Parker in 2008 will be HUGE. :yes:

No need for Harrington in KC. Casey Printers to Samie Parker in 2008 will be HUGE. :yes:
I do know the Chiefs were high on 7th round pick James Killian, QB, Tulsa at one time.

Latest tidbit from Kowalski

The delay in cutting HarringtonWhile the Lions would still like to get something out of Joey Harrington in a trade before releasing him, the real reason for the delay is that the Lions are trying to restructure his contract.According to a source close to the situation, Harrington was so adamant about leaving the Lions that he told team officials he would agree to whatever contract terms he had to in order to gain his release. It's unknown exactly what the Lions could do to reduce the cap hit for this season and/or next.

If he had the job, and they brought in Kitna as the backup, and Joey said he wants out, then i would agree with you.
From my understanding, that's exactly what happened.
:goodposting:
No, I don't think that's what happened. It seems to me that his teammates probably said something along the lines of "at least we have a good QB here now" either to Harrington or he heard it. The bottom line is that he wasn't liked by his teammates and he was right in saying that it would never work for him there.

FWIW- from xpersports.com

The AP reports that the Detroit Lions parted ways with Joey Harrington on Monday after four turbulent seasons during which the quarterback went from franchise savior to franchise goat.Coach Rod Marinelli declined to say whether Harrington was released. "I've decided to move in a different direction with the quarterback," he said.

Users who are viewing this thread