What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harrington wants out of Detroit (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
Just got into work, I was listening to am 1130, they had Lions beatwriter/ insider Tom Kowalski on the air.

#1 - says joey wants out and is as good a gone. Lions will look to trade, if not cut him. joey is due a 4 million roster bonus in June

#2 - Lions are still in talks with Josh McCown and are looking for a #2 QB.

#3 - If the Lions do not sign McCown or someone else, look for them to draft a QB at 9 if one of the big 3 slip

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't they just sign Kitna?

If so then they have a viable option to take over til a rookie QB is ready to start.

Just got into work, I was listening to am 1130, they had Lions beatwriter/ insider Tom Kowalski on the air.

#1 - says joey wants out and is as good a gone. Lions will look to trade, if not cut him. joey is due a 4 million roster bonus in June

#2 - Lions are still in talks with Josh McCown and are looking for a #2 QB.

#3 - If the Lions do not sign McCown or someone else, look for them to draft a QB at 9 if one of the big 3 slip
:bye: Didn't McCown sign with Oakland?

If Joey's cut, any chance he signs in Minnesota?

I actually wouldn't mind him coming to KC as the new backup and possible heir to Trent.

Why all the love for McCown around here? What did he do in Az with Boldin and Fitz to warrent thinking he could do something anywhere else? I don't like our QB situation here and think it would only get worse with either McCown or Ramsey. As Lions fans I think the general population wants a qb change so bad they have blinders on to think these other guys put them in a better situation.

Why all the love for McCown around here? What did he do in Az with Boldin and Fitz to warrent thinking he could do something anywhere else? I don't like our QB situation here and think it would only get worse with either McCown or Ramsey. As Lions fans I think the general population wants a qb change so bad they have blinders on to think these other guys put them in a better situation.
I dont love him.Just tellin ya what Killer Kowalski said.

He's no better than a career backup at this point. If Harrington thinks he's a starting NFL QB, he may want to rethink that position and just be glad that he has an NFL job anywhere.

Who's site it that?

I cant find it anywhere like ESPN,KFFL, NFL.com, etc.

Not saying they are wrong, but if McCown signed, I think it would be all over by now.
I have not seen anyplace else that McCown has signed with Oakland. All I know is that he visited with the Raiders yesterday and it appears Tui is now listed as the #1 QB (for now).
Former Cardinals quarterback Josh McCown arrived in New Orleans on Tuesday for a visit with the Saints, only to find they had just signed Drew Brees to be their starting quarterback.

So McCown quickly changed course, literally, and was catching a flight to Oakland on Tuesday evening to talk with the Raiders.

He also could sign with Detroit, even though the Lions signed Jon Kitna on Tuesday. McCown visited the Lions on Sunday.

Other teams, including Chicago and Minnesota, reportedly are interested in him as a backup. Minnesota traded Daunte Culpepper to Miami on Tuesday for a second-round pick.
LINK

I will cry if the Lions end up with anything but a OL, DB, DE, LB in the draft.

I will no longer be a Lions fan if they end up with VY... I've supported the team through years of misery but that would be the straw right there.

I reported this yesterday...but OK.

The Lions went hard at McCown, I now fully expect Detroit to look at Cutler at 9.

No McCown is still available.

Not sure, but that Oakland thing is just a rumor that is not confirmed.
Again
And above on the ticker is this.http://www.fflivewire.com/article.asp?id=nlf6137lgn7165k
Yeah I haven't seen any articles on FFlivewire about McCown and they are really good about posting evidence so I would imagine that they just made a mistake putting him on there.
That leaves Collins, Brian Griese, Josh McCown, Jamie Martin and Gus Frerotte as the top available free-agent quarterbacks. McCown reportedly met with the Raiders on Tuesday after Kitna signed. Where it leaves the Raiders is anyone's guess.
ContraCostaTimes, or the article re-posted above

I'm no expert on Detroit, but it seems like the team is setting itself up to draft the best available QB with their first round pick. It kinda makes sense that Martz would want to mold someone from scratch. However, Vince Young does not seem like the kind of QB that Martz would gravitate towards.

I'm no expert on Detroit, but it seems like the team is setting itself up to draft the best available QB with their first round pick. It kinda makes sense that Martz would want to mold someone from scratch.
Now or neverHe's got a complicated O. He'll have to dumb it down for the Lions in 06 but I'd expect he works more wrinkles in every week. A rook could learn as the team learns.600+plays in St. Louis=way way more than any college QB had in their playbook.

I'm no expert on Detroit, but it seems like the team is setting itself up to draft the best available QB with their first round pick.  It kinda makes sense that Martz would want to mold someone from scratch. 
Now or neverHe's got a complicated O. He'll have to dumb it down for the Lions in 06 but I'd expect he works more wrinkles in every week. A rook could learn as the team learns.

600+plays in St. Louis=way way more than any college QB had in their playbook.
What might Martz's take on Orlovsky be? Any possible lovin' there? :confused:

Column:Unhappy Harrington might be ready to move on

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- Joey Harrington has grown disenchanted with his situation as the Detroit Lions quarterback.

This is not surprising. What would really be newsworthy is if Harrington was delighted with what happened during his week-long quarterback school with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

Think about it. For the last four years, when Harrington has been under attack from all fronts, he fought his way through it by clinging to the belief that all he had to do was stick with the program and work harder. Now he's being told by a coach with an superb resume that, in essence, he just wasted four years of his life.

That has to border somewhere between unsettling and devastating and, considering Harrington's temperament, I'd suggest the latter.

Martz has repeatedly said that he wants to tear down Harrington and build him back up. Martz wants to make wholesale changes in how Harrington approaches the job of playing quarterback and even, apparently, suggested to a national football writer that he'd like Harrington to change his uniform number. Not exactly an ego booster, eh?

There was a recent rumor that there was a rift between Martz and Harrington, but this has almost nothing to do with Martz and everything to do with Harrington. Martz believes Harrington can be successful in Detroit: the question is whether Harrington wants to be in Detroit.

This has to be crushing to a player who stood strong against all the criticism he has received because he believed in himself and believed that he was going in the right direction. This is a player who arrived early, stayed late and put in all the extra work he felt he needed. Now, he's being told that the bulk of that work and those painstaking strides were all a waste of time and effort.

For all the abuse Harrington took in his first four years, he's about to find out just how bad it can get. And we'll also see what Harrington's really made of. He'll probably get to the point where he despises Martz, who has a history of being harsh on his quarterbacks. But that's not the point. Will Harrington stay strong and fight through it and finally, perhaps, be the quarterback he could have been a couple of years ago? Or will he knuckle under and simply take his football and go play somewhere else?

Maybe Harrington is just too far gone and nothing is going to get him mentally back on board again.

The allure of starting over has to be exciting and refreshing to Harrington, but he also has to understand that, if he goes to a club with solid coaching, he's in for the same nightmare. Nobody's going to pat him on the head and said "there, there." They're going to do the same tear-down, build-up strategy that Martz has employed. They might say it a little nicer, but it'll be the same process.

Harrington has suspected this all along, but he might -- for the first time -- truly understand what he was up against in the last four years. He received lousy coaching from men who didn't want him around in the first place. Then, he was surrounded by overrated talent that did nothing more than hike the expectations and make the subsequent dive all the more painful.

The irony is that now Harrington really has coaches who want him to succeed, but it's going to be a painful process.

Look, new head coach Rod Marinelli said himself that defensive tackle Warren Sapp hated him for the first year and a half they were together in Tampa. Sometimes, it takes a little time for a player to understand that a coach, despite his seemingly intolerable approach, is doing everything to make the player better.

When will Harrington understand this? Will he ever? Those are questions the Lions have to be asking themselves. Their off-season workout program begins next week and then they have a minicamp coming up in April. We'll have a better idea of where the situation stands after that.

The Lions aren't necessarily in a time crunch here. There's no financial issue because the deadline on Harrington's $4 million roster bonus isn't until June 15. As far as replacing Harrington, the Lions weren't viable options anyway for quarterbacks like Drew Brees or Daunte Culpepper.

Instead, it's possible that moves of Brees (to the New Orleans Saints) and Culpepper (to the Miami Dolphins) have altered the landscape of the draft, allowing one of the top three quarterbacks to slide to Detroit's ninth overall position. Then comes another decision. The Lions could take Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler or Vince Young and then let recently signed Jon Kitna run the show until the rookie is ready to take over -- just like Kitna did with Carson Palmer and the Cincinnati Bengals.

If the Lions aren't sold on Harrington's stability in moving forward, it appears he might not be the only one who'll be starting over.

So, to sum it up

Fans = disenchanted

Joey = dienchanted

Martz = looks less than impressed

Kitna = starting caliber (at least for a year)

1.09 = possible Young/Cutler

Seems to add up to me.

I wonder if Detroit could trade up to 1.02? Probably take a lot, would Joey (Brees shoulder injury is a concern), 1.09 and a 07 1st be enough?

:lmao: at the thread last month where people were insisting that Harrington was "the man" just because Martz gave him a compliment after watching game tape. How quickly things can change.

So, to sum it up

Fans = disenchanted

Joey = dienchanted

Seems to add up to me.

I wonder if Detroit could trade up to 1.02? Probably take a lot, would Joey (Brees shoulder injury is a concern), 1.09 and a 07 1st be enough?
I don't think this city can take another rebuilding mode. If this is their plan, I would have rather them signed Brees or traded for Pepper or Charles Shwab.

He's no better than a career backup at this point. If Harrington thinks he's a starting NFL QB, he may want to rethink that position and just be glad that he has an NFL job anywhere.
I happen to disagree. Yes, I have said openly on this site that I think he is a failure and the Lions need a change. However, I think that is all Joey needs as well. He has the talent, if he could get a fresh start he has the potential to turn his luck around.I only hope its not with a team the Lions play twice a year.

Killer WDFN Notes: Harrington's likely done in Detroit

In his column this morning Tom Kowalski says Joey Harrington may be ready to jump ship because of Mike Martz's rough personality. He goes further on Sports Radio 1130 Detroit. Much, much further. He thinks Joey Harrington wants out, badly. The Lions know this, and may finally be willing to accomodate.

Joey's not happy? Killer says he's not. This goes way back. This has more to do with Martz than Harrington. This goes back to the Dre Bly thing where he was made a scapegoat. It's clear that Harrington doesn't want to be in Detroit, and he wants nothing to do with the Lions. Even though they signed Jon Kitna they're still talking with Josh McCown.

Brady gives Killer serious man-love. "Thank God Lions fans have you." He goes on, "You're an innovator. You are a trailblazing, ground-breaker for information. And you're right about Josh McCown." Killer says they're talking to him, they may not sign him. Brady responds, "Well, nevermind then."

As for the talk that the Saints don't need a QB now that they got Drew Brees, Kowalski says that's not necessarily so. Brees signed what is essentially a one-year contract. The Lions could move up to get one of those young stud QBs in the draft. And if they get Josh McCown, then Harrington is definitely gone.

"From what I'm hearing right now, I would be stunned if Joey Harrington is on the roster June 15. That's when they have to pay him a $4 million roster bonus, and I don't think that's going to happen."

Has Joey asked to be traded? Tom says there's no question that he's made it clear that he doesn't want to be in Detroit. The new coaches knew that coming in. During whole QB school last week, it was important for Martz and Harrington to have a dialogue. "That did not go well." There is an element of truth to the rumors out there that it didn't work out, but the rumor said there was a rift between Harrington and Martz. That's not true. This is more about Harrington than Martz.

Even if Harrington goes to another team, no one is going to bring him in saying "Hey, listen, we loved your work in Detroit, those four years. God, you know, you're doing everything right." They're going to tear him down, too. "You really gotta feel bad for Harrington. It looks like he was put in an impossible situation in Detroit. He didn't get good coaching. He had overrated talent around him, which did nothing but hike expectations. And when they fell he was a bigger scapegoat." Tom says this should happen quickly with Harrington depending on negotiations with McCown.

Will the Lions try to trade him? What would they get for him? What would happen to the cap if they cut him? Kowalski says they will get cap room. They thought they'd pay him a $4 million June 15 bonus. Now that they don't have to pay him, it's free to use anywhere. If he was traded, the team that gets him would assume the $4 million. Jamie asks "So he's not tradeable." Killer says he doesn't think so, but all it takes is one team to like him.

Brady asks if Vince Young fall to No. 9? Tom says the Brees contract in New Orleans is really only a one-year deal, so they may still draft a QB. He will get a $12 million roster bonus after this season, and they will likely cut him. So the Saints could still draft a QB that high. The Lions may not want to wait that long. If they go into the season with Josh McCown and Kitna they'll be pleased. Not perfect, but pleased. The story here seems to be Harrington's done in Detroit, and he wants to leave. The question is how long until it happens.

Why would McCown come here if they have Kitna? Is it simply that both believe they're better than the other guy, and would battle it out? Killer says yes, exactly. The Lions would want a healthy competition. McCown is six or seven years younger than Kitna, and they'd hope he takes over. But, Kitna's comment [to the Cincinnati Enquirer] about "they haven't sorted it out yet" with Harrington just says everything. He knows Harrington wants out, Tom believes. He must know that they're going to bring in McCown, and have confidence he can beat him out. Or they'd draft someone he'd help groom. He wouldn't come here with a solid No. 1.

I remember that... we were all asking for sources or a link which we never got.Curious, do you have connections within the league or was this just speculation that ended up true?

I remember that... we were all asking for sources or a link which we never got.Curious, do you have connections within the league or was this just speculation that ended up true?
Got it from a friend who is very informed ...I couldn't however provide any credible links at the time. So, I just let it go as I figured everyone would just call :bs: Can I also just add that the Kitna signing is very telling to me. Kitna was widely praised for how well he helped and mentored Palmer. This would indicate to me that Detroit has plans to bring in someone who is less expereinced that would still benefit from Kitna's mentoring.

Kitna.. imo....is not a good fit to be in a 1a/1b QB type of situation (ala the Harrington/Garcia merry-go-round). Kitna is much better suited to being the "2" QB.

As the Lions are now where close to contending for anything serious, bringing in another veteran presence in front of Kitna doesn't make much sense. Many are speculating that they are looking at Kerry Collins. This makes little to no sense to me.

To me...Josh McCown is the likely choice, however I would not be surprised by Ramsey or taking a QB at 9.

Possible dark horse: Patrick Ramsey

Haringon is gone and will save the Lions some cap room.

Just my 0.02.

:lmao: at the thread last month where people were insisting that Harrington was "the man" just because Martz gave him a compliment after watching game tape. How quickly things can change.
:bag: I'm not sure I posted anywhere in support of Joey as QB1 in Detroit, but count me among those who was fooled by Martz' faint praise.

What's Kowalski saying when he mentions Joey's "temperament" (in regards to recent developments being "devastating" rather than merely "unsettling" for him)? Is he saying Joey is soft? Fragile? Lacking in self-confidence? Or is it something else?

:confused:

:NTTAWWT:

The Lions went hard at McCown, I now fully expect Detroit to look at Cutler at 9.
Thanks, Bankerguy, for the early scoop yesterday. Just because you didn't have a link available didn't mean I wasn't listening closely to what you were saying.Keep 'em coming!

Well if you remember Millen and Rod came out and said Joey was their guy, then turn around and sign Kitna.

Can't blame Joey, he's a class guy who has been in a bad situation.

No talent around him, horrible o-line, and a clear lack of vision and direction from the top of the orginization .

I would want out as well.

I wish him luck.

So, to sum it up

Fans = disenchanted

Joey = dienchanted

Seems to add up to me.

:yes: I lobbied for Joey for a few years, but last year was the final straw for me. I've had it with him. I'm ready to move on, as apparently EVERYONE (including Joey now) is. Release him, trade him, whatever. I don't care... DOO EEEET!

blah blah blah....

This has more to do with Martz than Harrington.

....blah blah blah....

This is more about Harrington than Martz.
You guys do realize that for an insider, Kowalski is wrong an awful lot right? and the above is a perfect example of how the twit constantly changes his tune and covers all his "i told you so" bases. it's laughable.that said, i think trade wise the most probable target is the Jets, but we'll see....

blah blah blah....

This has more to do with Martz than Harrington.

....blah blah blah....

This is more about Harrington than Martz.
You guys do realize that for an insider, Kowalski is wrong an awful lot right? and the above is a perfect example of how the twit constantly changes his tune and covers all his "i told you so" bases. it's laughable.that said, i think trade wise the most probable target is the Jets, but we'll see....
I'm just posting what somebody asked for......IF you're talking to me.

I'm not adressing anyone specifically, just letting everyone know that Kowalski is wrong more than he's right, and he flip flops all the time. he had the Lions winning 10 games, then 4, then 8, then 7, etc etc last preseason. he borders on being a joke as far as his "inside" info is. he is scooped on everything (he isn't the first to be reporting this either)

Look, new head coach Rod Marinelli said himself that defensive tackle Warren Sapp hated him for the first year and a half they were together in Tampa. Sometimes, it takes a little time for a player to understand that a coach, despite his seemingly intolerable approach, is doing everything to make the player better.
Reminds me of Bledsoe and Parcells. I remember Bledsoe bitterly hating the way Parcells treated him but he ended up a better QB and when on to play for him again with the Cowboys.

I will no longer be a Lions fan if they end up with VY... I've supported the team through years of misery but that would be the straw right there.
reminds me of when Philly drafted McNabb...

reminds me of when Philly drafted McNabb...
I think he's singling out VY, not just any QB. Young would never be able to function as a Martz QB and the Lions would draft Cutler over VY.

No McCown is still available.

Not sure, but that Oakland thing is just a rumor that is not confirmed.
Again
Who's site it that?I cant find it anywhere like ESPN,KFFL, NFL.com, etc.

Not saying they are wrong, but if McCown signed, I think it would be all over by now.
BSS,FFlivewire is another site that a few of their writers/owners have been flooding places like the FBGs.com forums with self-serving links....trying to cyphen-off traffic on Joe and David's dime. Kinda makes me :hot: , although if they get too big for their britches, folks can do a little lookey-lookey to see how well they are adhering to US Copyright Law with their articles/summaries. Goodness-knows that they aren't following the rules when they are cutting and pasting full articles from media outlets without so much as giving them credit (and linking to their own site instead of the media outlet's site to boot!)

Repeatedly poking the sleeping bear with a stick isn't very smart, but some people out there just don't know when to stop poking...... :ph34r:

Per Wash Times:

I am paraphrasing:

Reporting that Ramsey to the Jets is close. Prolly for a 4th. This eliminates my darkhorse of Ramsey to the Lions.

McCown will be off the market very quickly after a possible Ramsey trade.

Classic "Killer" from his chat just now on MLive...

"Tom - isn't it true that less than 48 hours ago on Stoney and Wojo you said the exact opposite of what you're saying today"

WHEN I WAS ON STONEY AND WOJO, I DANCED AROUND THE KITNA-HARRINGTON QUESTION BECAUSE I KNEW WHAT I WAS WRITTING TODAY....I DID SAY THAT KITNA COULD BE THE STARTER "IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TO JOEY"

Users who are viewing this thread