What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has a team ever won 3 consective road games? (1 Viewer)

DrJ

Footballguy
Been looking back, haven't found any. Does anyone know of a team that pulled this off?

There have been a ton of teams to win 3 consecutive road games. At least 100 teams have done this.

New England Patriots, 1985.
Weren't they home against the Jets in the wildcard?
No.
Patriots are the only team to win three on the road to get to the Super Bowl.From http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/nengalnd/patriots.html

"Needing a win in the final week the Patriots beat the Cincinnati Bengals 34-23 to earn a Wild Card spot. However their 11-5 record was only good for the 5th seed meaning the Pats would not have a game at home. The Patriots began their playoff journey in the swamps of New Jersey in the wild card game against the New York Jets. Led by 4 Tony Franklin Field Goals the Patriots would win their first playoff game in 22 years 26-14. One week later the Patriots were on the road again facing the Los Angeles Raiders. In the game the Pats forced 6 turnovers and stunned the heavily favored Raiders 27-20 to set up an AFC Championship Game showdown against the Miami Dolphins. However if the pats were going to beat the Dolphins they need to end their 19-year losing streak at the Orange Bowl. Turnovers would again play a key role as the Patriots forced 6 turnovers again and stunned the Dolphins 31-14, behind the running of Craig James to advance to Super Bowl XX."

There have been a ton of teams to win 3 consecutive road games. At least 100 teams have done this.
I don't mean 3 road games that have a home game between them - I mean road games in back to back to back weeks.This is something the Panthers will have to do to win this week, and something the Steelers and Redskins would need to do to get to the Superbowl.

I don't mean 3 road games that have a home game between them - I mean road games in back to back to back weeks.This is something the Panthers will have to do to win this week, and something the Steelers and Redskins would need to do to get to the Superbowl.
Washinton was on the road in week 17, so they would also have to do it this weekend to win.

Washinton was on the road in week 17, so they would also have to do it this weekend to win.
I think you are missing the point. Has any team during the post season had to win three on the road to get to the Super Bowl? Maybe I understood what he was asking since the Pats were the only team to do it during the post season. I remember it well...good trivia! :D Week 17 is regular season.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are missing the point. Has any team during the post season had to win three on the road to get to the Super Bowl? Maybe I understood what he was asking since the Pats were the only team to do it during the post season. I remember it well...good trivia! :D Week 17 is regular season.

Nah, I'm counting regular season games. It just doesn't seem like winning 3 in a row on the road is an easy feat in the NFL and two teams are going to have to do that against teams that got byes/rested starters in the final game.

WRONG!Broncos did it in 98. @Jags @KC @Pitt, on to win the SB.

I think you are referring to 97, and the Broncos were 12-4, Jags 11-5. Broncos were home in that first one...

Nah, I'm counting regular season games.
Since the start of the 16-game schedule, 49 16 teams have won 3 straight road games. Jacksonville did it in 2005, running a brutal Tennessee/Arizona/Cleveland gauntlet.EDIT to correct an error.

Since the start of the 16-game schedule, 49 16 teams have won 3 straight road games. Jacksonville did it in 2005, running a brutal Tennessee/Arizona/Cleveland gauntlet.EDIT to correct an error.
:goodposting: "brutal"...lol

what about the Raiders,1980, when they beat Philly in the SB? they were the first wildcard tem to ever win a SB..all of their playoff games must've been on the road, no?

what about the Raiders,1980, when they beat Philly in the SB? they were the first wildcard tem to ever win a SB..all of their playoff games must've been on the road, no?
I beleive your right. Jim Plunkett was the QB for them.

I beleive your right. Jim Plunkett was the QB for them.
They hosted Houston in the wildcard game

I think you are referring to 97, and the Broncos were 12-4, Jags 11-5. Broncos were home in that first one...
Ummmm, no. Their first SB, January of '98. Beat the Jags to avenge their loss the year before. Then went on to win the SB. I've loved the Broncos since '85, I lived through the agonizing years of SB losses, and the years of SB wins. They are the only team to have ever done this. Here is a link if you don't believe me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1997-98
Reading comprehension down?Wild Card playoffs

December 27, 1997

AFC: Denver Broncos 42, Jacksonville Jaguars 17

Quarter 1 2 3 4 Tot

Jaguars 0 7 10 0 17

Broncos 14 7 0 21 42

at Mile High Stadium, Denver, Colorado

Game time: 4:00 pm EST

Game weather: 42 °F (Clear)

TV announcers (ABC): Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf

Denver ran over the Jaguars with 310 rushing yards and 511 total yards of offense.

Ummmm, no. Their first SB, January of '98. Beat the Jags to avenge their loss the year before. Then went on to win the SB. I've loved the Broncos since '85, I lived through the agonizing years of SB losses, and the years of SB wins. They are the only team to have ever done this. Here is a link if you don't believe me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1997-98
:confused: Your own link reflects that Denver was the home team in the playoff game vs the Jags.

:confused: Your own link reflects that Denver was the home team in the playoff game vs the Jags.
Looks like I'm the clueless one. :cry:

Looks like I'm the clueless one. :cry:
I'm a Jags fan and I'm not sure if they won 3 road games back-back-back in the playoffs, but I do remember it was either 1996 or 1997 when they had that impressive run (it may have only been 2 road games) but they went on the road and beat Buffalo in Buffalo (still during the Jim Kelly era) and then they proceeded to go on the road and beat Denver in Denver (yes, Elway was still the man.) That is when J-ville had Natrone Means and he went crazy running the rock during that stretch. Back in the good ol' days when they had one of the best O-lines in the league and Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell were pups.

Agreed, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, I guess it's not as big of a feat as I had suspected.

Actually I think Jacksonville has done it the last two times it has happened. This year and ... I can't recall, but it was several years ago. When the Jags did it this season it came up in the local press that the Jags had done it both of the most recent two times it had happened in the NFL. Regular season of course.

Agreed, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, I guess it's not as big of a feat as I had suspected.
If you're going to count the regular season, then sure it is an "easy" feat. I'm sure the 72 Dolphins won at least 7 road games in a row. And the Colts won many to start this season.Play-offs have... well play-off caliber teams. And, as the road team, you most likely aren't as good as the hosting team. So, in the play-offs, it is rather significant.

Poor attempt at trying to discredit the Panthers I see. Got you worried a bit so you must go to this?Too bad they only need to win 2 in a row to have beaten the Bears.

If you're going to count the regular season, then sure it is an "easy" feat. I'm sure the 72 Dolphins won at least 7 road games in a row. And the Colts won many to start this season.Play-offs have... well play-off caliber teams. And, as the road team, you most likely aren't as good as the hosting team. So, in the play-offs, it is rather significant.
And the fact that it's only happned once ('85 Pats) makes that run even more impressive and significant.

Poor attempt at trying to discredit the Panthers I see. Got you worried a bit so you must go to this?

Too bad they only need to win 2 in a row to have beaten the Bears.
bitterpackerfansayswhat?

Not very often does a team go on the road for 3 straight games during a regular season. I did not check the 72 dolphins, but this years Colts did not.This year

JAC was @TEN, @ARI, @CLE won all three

SF was @SEA, @JAC, @STL won 1

TB was @NO, @CAR, @NE(lost)

CAR and WAS were on the road the last week of the season and 1st week of playoffs with wins. This week will be 3 in a row.

Poor attempt at trying to discredit the Panthers I see. Got you worried a bit so you must go to this?

bitterpackerfansayswhat?
truthhurtssayswhat?Nothing to be bitter about. Lets see...one bad season in the past 14...vs 2 good seasons in the past 20 years. Yup...I must be bitter.

Poor attempt at trying to discredit the Panthers I see.  Got you worried a bit so you must go to this?

bitterpackerfansayswhat?
truthhurtssayswhat?Nothing to be bitter about. Lets see...one bad season in the past 14...vs 2 good seasons in the past 20 years. Yup...I must be bitter.
I'm going to guess it's the fact that you don't expect them to have a realistic shot for another 14 that has you bitter.

I'm going to guess it's the fact that you don't expect them to have a realistic shot for another 14 that has you bitter.
That would be a very poor guess. As they will again be good before the Bears have a season like this one again.

That would be a very poor guess. As they will again be good before the Bears have a season like this one again.
:lmao:

Actually I think Jacksonville has done it the last two times it has happened. This year and ... I can't recall, but it was several years ago.
You are correct. Before the 05 Jags, the last team to accomplish the feat was the 01 Jags, who beat Cincy (6-10), Cleveland (7-9), and Minnesota (5-11) consecutively on the road. The Jags were only 6-10 that year.Before that, you have to go back to the 97 Packers. It happened 4 times in the 90s.

Since 1978, there have been 214 teams that have played three consecutive road games. If you make the admittedly very crude assumption that the road team always has a 46% chance of winning a given game, then you would expect 20 or 21 of those 214 to win all three. So the actual figure (16) is pretty close to what we should expect.

See...only had to win 2 in a row to run DrJ off...Sad that someone talks so much smack only to run once his team loses.

Users who are viewing this thread