What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has Desean Jackson hit the rookie wall? (1 Viewer)

I am curious as to how he was used in the Seattle game... Was he the 3rd Wr- in for only a portion of plays like a few weeks ago when Brown came back and Reid was pissed Jackson made some route mistakes? Or was Jackson the starter with Curtis on the other side?

I am curious as to how he was used in the Seattle game... Was he the 3rd Wr- in for only a portion of plays like a few weeks ago when Brown came back and Reid was pissed Jackson made some route mistakes? Or was Jackson the starter with Curtis on the other side?
I sold high on him after the first few weeks - had a feeling his touches may decrease with the return of the other Philly Wrs - just grabbed Curtis for cheap - he looked very good yesterday. Have a feeling that many of those D Jax touches will now go to Curtis.

He was "in the rotation" for most of the game. The problem is that with Curtis back, he will get most of the possession looks that DeSean was benefitting from when both Curtis and Reggie Brown were out. The majority of the targets that he saw were down the sideline, big gainer, type plays. Those will be hit or miss unfortunately. McNabb did target him in the endzone but that was picked off, and probably should have never been thrown. The Eagles get cute with their wideout formations. Yesterday I even saw Buckhalter lining up as a receiver. DeSean will probably have another big game or two, but I think Week 8's stat line of 3 for 72 is very reflective of what you will see from here on out, and they will be difficult to predict.

Week 9 targets @ Seattle

Kevin Curtis PHI (starter) 11 6-83-0DeSean Jackson PHI (starter) 7 2-20-0Greg Lewis PHI 3 2-16-0Hank Baskett PHI 1 1-25-0Reggie Brown PHI 1 1-22-1
For anyone who did not see the game, the Seahawks were inspired early, played very good D the first 20 minutes of the game. McNabb began the game 3-13 and was knocked down/sacked 4 times early on. KoRo had a 90 yard TD on their first offensive play. It all went down hill from there, with 11 straight punts (and probably more than half of those possessions were 3 and out).It was an odd game plan from Andy Reid; seemingly no effort to establish the run, at least not until McNabb was in a rhythm. The Eagles first 4 possessions were 3 punts and an interception.DeSean ran a reverse, got 50 yards on 5 punt returns, and was an active part of the offensive scheme throughout. Didn't do much damage, but he was definitely seeing plenty of primary targets.

He was "in the rotation" for most of the game. The problem is that with Curtis back, he will get most of the possession looks that DeSean was benefitting from when both Curtis and Reggie Brown were out. The majority of the targets that he saw were down the sideline, big gainer, type plays. Those will be hit or miss unfortunately. McNabb did target him in the endzone but that was picked off, and probably should have never been thrown. The Eagles get cute with their wideout formations. Yesterday I even saw Buckhalter lining up as a receiver. DeSean will probably have another big game or two, but I think Week 8's stat line of 3 for 72 is very reflective of what you will see from here on out, and they will be difficult to predict.
Only 12 of McNabb's 28 completions went to the WRs. With the Seahawks missing Tatupu, the Eagles worked the middle of the field a lot with much success. To me it looked like they started with an attempt to get the ball to the WRs, but McNabb just didn't start the game out that accurately, so they went to the RBs and TEs more. That being said, I think Andy Reid week in and week out is making a conscious effort to get the ball into DeSean's hands, whether it be through the receiving game, end arounds, or returns. Expectations do have to be tempered though with the return of Curtis and the large number of personnel Andy likes to rotate in and out of the offense. I don't believe he has hit a wall, I just think that 3-5 catches for 60-70 yards will be the norm, with a couple TDs sprinkled in and the big play potential always there. He should be a solid #2-3 WR for fantasy the rest of this season.

Jackson was in the perfect situation to blow up early: talented rookie with a good QB in a WR corps decimated by injury. It was pretty predictable that he would come back to earth to some degree as the other WRs got healthy.

He has still played well enough to stay a starter, which was by no means a guarantee 4 weeks ago, and he's their most explosive WR. He'll continue to be a big part of their gameplan on a team that always seems to have a 60/40 ratio in favor of passing.

I think the best move was to sell high before the inevitable drop-off, but if you didn't he's a hold b/c he'll have more big games as long as McNabb doesn't sustain his annual season-ending injury.

If he's still being targeted a fair amount- 7 times- then I don't think there is much to worry.. I don't know if this game being Brown's 1st game back is a good guage, but as long as Jackson is the "starter" next to Curtis, he should be fine.... Brown can't seem to stay in the lineup due to injury anyway, so he might not be much of a threat.

???? Curtis and Brown are back. How could you not forsee a dropoff in targets and production?

Users who are viewing this thread