What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has K. Boller figured it out? (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night but his numbers look good. He seems to be turning it on lately, but I've yet to see him play. Has he been named the official QB of the Ravens (this year and beyond)? And is he the real deal? Or did Green Bay make it easy for him?

He looked like he was figuring it out last year, and then faded into (below) mediocrity in the past.I think he'll have a good game from time to time, although I don't see him getting to that next level.

I thought he played well in the second half of last season and thought he could be a sleeper this year with his improvement and the improvement of the offensive players around him. The injury hampered his early season but he has been coming around. People forget that he is a young QB who hasn't gained alot of experience yet. I think Baltimore will bring in a veteran QB but at least make it an open camp competition.

I would not think that one game meant he figured anything out.He had plenty of time to throw the ball in most cases. WRs had seperation and Green Bay could not cover Heap. In addition Green Bay could not stop the running game making it even worse.I would not take much out of yesterday's game except that Heap is still a monster, Clayton may end up very very good...and Boller could not hit Clayton on the deep routes.

If the question is, "Has Kyle Boller figured out how to crush the 2005 Packers?", then the answer is "yes".

he has one ugly delivery
Yes, but so did many other QBs, including Favre and Gannon.I doubt he's ever a stud, but he may be able to convince the GM to draft something other than a QB in the 1st round with 2 more games like this.

(Not to mention save Billick's job)

Last edited by a moderator:
he has one ugly delivery
Yes, but so did many other QBs, including Favre and Gannon.I doubt he's ever a stud, but he may be able to convince the GM to draft something other than a QB in the 1st round with 2 more games like this.

(Not to mention save Billick's job)
Favre's delivery at least looks (and is) strong - frankly it doesn't look any less conventional than Elway's did. Gannon's looked more conventional than Boller's and he ended up using his ability to change his delivery to his advantage by sidearming when he needed to in order to find a throwing lane.

I see none of this with Boller. It looks to me like Tedford emphasizes holding the ball high and a quick release, even if it's at the expense of power. I see the same traits in Rodgers.

It seems that no one is sold on him yet. :unsure:
one meaningless game against one of the worst teams in the league doesn't change my opinion one bit (nor should it). He's had a bunch of chances in games that have meant something over the couple years and he's shown no real flashes to indicate that there is something better around the corner. I think he's seeing his last few games as a starter so he better do something good.

Boller faces a Minnesota team that usually plays pretty bad on the road. Yes they've won their last 3 road games but they were vs GB, DET and NYG. The NY game was a fluke, 3 DEF TDs....Given that TEs have a high FF output vs MIN and the emergence of Clayton I can easily see Boller going for 250/2 next weekend

Didn't GB have the NFL's #1 pass defense coming into last night?
Yes...but last night's team was not that same Packer team that I have seen play defense all year.That team was awful...Barnett was nowhere to be seen, no pressure, Harris and Carrol both getting toasted...Not too many QBs would have had trouble vs. that defense last night.

Boller faces a Minnesota team that usually plays pretty bad on the road. Yes they've won their last 3 road games but they were vs GB, DET and NYG. The NY game was a fluke, 3 DEF TDs....

Given that TEs have a high FF output vs MIN and the emergence of Clayton I can easily see Boller going for 250/2 next weekend
Agreed.. he's available in some 2 QB leagues, but you gotta have some nuts to start him. I might.. :unsure:

he has one ugly delivery
So does Rodgers. I have no clue what Tedford is teaching these guys at Cal.
I don't think it's reasonable to call Boller a Tedford product. Tedford coached him for one year; he was under Tom Holmoe for three years at Cal, and now has been in the pros for three years. Unless Tedford has some kind of Vulcan mind-meld that wipes out all other past and future coaching.My projections for Boller this year were 3150/21 passing, 200/1 rushing. On an annualized basis, he's now at 3106/18 passing, 139/2 rushing; in other words, he's performing about as I expected. His completion percentage is up (59.2% from 55.6%), as is yards/attempt (6.1 from 5.6). And in fact, in the last four weeks he's near the top 5 in fantasy scoring. Having real receivers on the team has made a big difference; if he hadn't been injured, he would have been at this point earlier in the season, but it's taken him some time to find rapport with the new corps.

Edit to add: I started him this week, and I'm now in the Super Bowl. I'm also very likely to start him weeks 16 and 17.

Boller faces a Minnesota team that usually plays pretty bad on the road. Yes they've won their last 3 road games but they were vs GB, DET and NYG. The NY game was a fluke, 3 DEF TDs....

Given that TEs have a high FF output vs MIN and the emergence of Clayton I can easily see Boller going for 250/2 next weekend
Agreed.. he's available in some 2 QB leagues, but you gotta have some nuts to start him. I might.. :unsure:
Since Warner went down I may picking up Boller and starting him instead of Bledsoe so maybe I am trying to make myself feel better about it. :unsure:

It seems that no one is sold on him yet. :unsure:
one meaningless game against one of the worst teams in the league doesn't change my opinion one bit (nor should it). He's had a bunch of chances in games that have meant something over the couple years and he's shown no real flashes to indicate that there is something better around the corner. I think he's seeing his last few games as a starter so he better do something good.
hes only 24 years old- the same age as a Philip Rivers who hasn't even seen the field yet. He'll have plenty of chances ahead even if its not with the Ravens.

Didn't GB have the NFL's #1 pass defense coming into last night?
Yes...but last night's team was not that same Packer team that I have seen play defense all year.That team was awful...Barnett was nowhere to be seen, no pressure, Harris and Carrol both getting toasted...Not too many QBs would have had trouble vs. that defense last night.
You have to give some credit to the Ravens for making the #1 pass defense look so bad. It can't be all on them.

I hope that performance saved Billick and Boller for at least one more year. LOVE having those two down in Baltimore...LOVE IT!

I was so big on this guy this preseason. He really needed the time to learn this season but instead he got hurt. He has all the weapons and hopefully Baltimore hasn't given up on him all ready. We will see how well he does against an NFL defense....I drafted this guy in my dynasty league!

I'm not really high on the guy, but it's way too early to write him off like some people have.He typically struggled as a rookie, and last year he played most of the year without anything close to a threat at WR and without Heap. A 2nd year starting QB was bound to struggle, but people pick and choose when they blame the supporting cast and when they don't.This year, he faced a much improved Colts defense in week 1 and struggled, and then got hurt. It's taken him some time to find a groove with his new weapons, but he looks a lot more comfortable right now. He struggled in his first start back from injury against Jacksonville.However, in his last 5 games he's 98-167-1,076. He's thrown 8 TDs and 5 INTs over thos 5 games. That's 6.44 YPA and 215 yards per game, and there's reason to believe that he can improve as he gets more comfortable.

I hope that performance saved Billick and Boller for at least one more year. LOVE having those two down in Baltimore...LOVE IT!
Because PIT has dominated BAL so much this year? :P

At one point last night we were having fun in the stands calling out the name of who the passes were going to (before they were thrown) based on whoever Boller stared at right after the snap. He still seems incapable of looking off a receiver or reading a defense.

redman said it best! Against the 2005 Green Bay Packers, Kyle Boller figured it out!

I hold out little hope that this means the same when Kyle faces other teams who can put real Defenses out there!

redman said it best! Against the 2005 Green Bay Packers, Kyle Boller figured it out!

I hold out little hope that this means the same when Kyle faces other teams who can put real Defenses out there!
Agreed, it's the same as Joey Harrington looking like a pro bowler vs. the Arizona Cardinals this year in week 10. He was 22/32 for 231 yds + 3 TDs and zero picks. He looked great, but it was against 'Zona. He looked like garbage in every other game this year.Boller looked decent against a terrible GB team. But I honestly think Harrington is a better QB than Boller, and that's not saying much. Boller is awful. He is worse than awful. It's just too bad these guys can't play GB and Arizona every week.

he has one ugly delivery
So does Rodgers. I have no clue what Tedford is teaching these guys at Cal.
I don't think it's reasonable to call Boller a Tedford product. Tedford coached him for one year; he was under Tom Holmoe for three years at Cal, and now has been in the pros for three years. Unless Tedford has some kind of Vulcan mind-meld that wipes out all other past and future coaching.My projections for Boller this year were 3150/21 passing, 200/1 rushing. On an annualized basis, he's now at 3106/18 passing, 139/2 rushing; in other words, he's performing about as I expected. His completion percentage is up (59.2% from 55.6%), as is yards/attempt (6.1 from 5.6). And in fact, in the last four weeks he's near the top 5 in fantasy scoring. Having real receivers on the team has made a big difference; if he hadn't been injured, he would have been at this point earlier in the season, but it's taken him some time to find rapport with the new corps.

Edit to add: I started him this week, and I'm now in the Super Bowl. I'm also very likely to start him weeks 16 and 17.
Link to ESPN's 2003 Draft page on Kyle Boller
Notes: Father was a nationally ranked high jumper. Went from being an unknown backup to the top high school QB prospect on the West Coast, as he completed 290-of-454 passes for 4,838 yards with 59 touchdowns and three interceptions in his senior year in high school. Started eight games as a true freshman at California before suffering a separated shoulder vs. Oregon. Started every game in 2000 and eight games in '01, when he missed two games with a back injury. Had poor stats on a poor team for his first three years, never completing 50 percent of his passes. Was just 100-259-1,303-9-15 (38.6 percent) in 1999; 163-349-2,121-15-13 (46.7 percent) in 2000; and 133-271-1,741-12-10 (49.1 percent) in '01. Played for different offensive coordinators at Cal, but in '02 got to play for a new head coach, Jeff Tedford, who worked wonders with the quarterbacks he coached at Oregon and worked more wonders with Boller. Tedford turned Boller into one of the best quarterbacks in the country by completely overhauling his mechanics -- making them much more compact -- and by rebuilding Boller's confidence and putting him in a truly QB-friendly offense that generally required him to read only half the field. The result was Boller completed 225-421-2,815-28-10 (53.4 percent) and Cal had a winning season. Made general managers take notice at the Senior Bowl, when he displayed improved accuracy and fine footwork. A 40 time in the 4.6-range at the Combine solidified his status as a first-round pick.
Any more questions?

Yeah, your superior team really handled the Ravens this year when you played them. :unsure: Well, at least there was last year when you guys went 15-1 before choking in the playoffs. Surely, you must have dominated them then, no?

Oh wow...you mean the Ravens outscored the Steelers both years? Wow, I'm :shock:

LOL at all the "it was only the Packers" talk. THE PACKERS WERE THE BEST PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE GOING INTO LAST NIGHT'S GAME. This is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard.

redman said it best!  Against the 2005 Green Bay Packers, Kyle Boller figured it out!

LOL at all the "it was only the Packers" talk. THE PACKERS WERE THE BEST PASS DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE GOING INTO LAST NIGHT'S GAME. This is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard.
If opposing teams have leads and simply run the ball against you to retain their lead, your pass defense stats are going to look good. Interesting that they're the next to last team in pass attempts against them, no?

redman said it best!  Against the 2005 Green Bay Packers, Kyle Boller figured it out!

If opposing teams have leads and simply run the ball against you to retain their lead, your pass defense stats are going to look good. Interesting that they're the next to last team in pass attempts against them, no?
If the Packers had gotten blown out a lot and thus teams were trying to kill the clock, your point would make sense. But the Pack were in nearly every game! In fact, if anything this would be the one game where the opposing team would be running a lot with a big lead.Date Opponent Time/Result DIRECTV® Channel SIRIUS Radio

Away Home

Sep 11 @Detroit Lost 3-17

Sep 18 Cleveland Lost 24-26

Sep 25 Tampa Bay Lost 16-17

Oct 3 @Carolina Lost 29-32

Oct 9 New Orleans Won 52-3

Week 6 BYE

Oct 23 @Minnesota Lost 20-23

Oct 30 @Cincinnati Lost 14-21

Nov 6 Pittsburgh Lost 10-20

Nov 13 @Atlanta Won 33-25

Nov 21 Minnesota Lost 17-20

Nov 27 @Philadelphia Lost 14-19

Dec 4 @Chicago Lost 7-19

Dec 11 Detroit Won 16-13

Dec 19 @Baltimore Lost 3-48

So please tell me: Which game(other than vs Baltimore) do you see here where their opponents ran a lot because of a big lead?

So please tell me: Which game(other than vs Baltimore) do you see here where their opponents ran a lot because of a big lead?
They ran a lot because GB has a sucky run defense so teams never felt the need to pass. They were comfortable that they could run effectively against the Pack. The point is that opponents never got far behind where they would be forced to pass for clock management reasons, not that they necessarily had big leads.And if you saw that game, it was clear that GB could not cover anyone or anything in that game. The whole team looked like it had quit.

The pass defense ranking is based on passing yards allowed. But the Green Bay defense has given up 20 TDs through the air and only has 8 picks. Darren Sharper by himself has 8 picks.

Boller faces a Minnesota team that usually plays pretty bad on the road.  Yes they've won their last 3 road games but they were vs GB, DET and NYG.  The NY game was a fluke, 3 DEF TDs....

I am starting Boller next week in my championship. Drafted mcnabb. Had a merry go round of QBs this year. mcnabb/collins/Carr/boller. I think Boller has the best matchup this weekend. plus he is on Christmas night when we go to the bar after family parties. Come on Boller.

jwvdcw,

Their entire defense is extremely suspect! Many teams went to the run instead of the pass because it was so easy.

In 9 out of 14 games they have given up over 30 carries.

In 9 out of 14 games they have given up more than 100 yards rushing.

In 5 out of 14 games they have given up more than 150 yards rushing.

In 8 out of 14 games they have given up 2 or more receiving TD's in a game.

Just because their average for receiving yards is one of the lowest in the NFL does not indicate that they are a good defense.

To further clarify this, opposing Offenses have averaged 33 carries for 155 rushing yards [4.6 yards per carry] and 1 TD in each of the last 7 games! Why pass when you can run against them.

If one looks at the 6 games where opposing Offenses chose not to exploit the run, they managed 247 yards per game and 2 TD's!

One way or another they also are a lock for over 300 yards of total Offense and 2 TD's in each game.

jwvdcw,

Their entire defense is extremely suspect! Many teams went to the run instead of the pass because it was so easy.

In 9 out of 14 games they have given up over 30 carries.

In 9 out of 14 games they have given up more than 100 yards rushing.

In 5 out of 14 games they have given up more than 150 yards rushing.

In 8 out of 14 games they have given up 2 or more receiving TD's in a game.

Just because their average for receiving yards is one of the lowest in the NFL does not indicate that they are a good defense.

To further clarify this, opposing Offenses have averaged 33 carries for 155 rushing yards [4.6 yards per carry] and 1 TD in each of the last 7 games! Why pass when you can run against them.

If one looks at the 6 games where opposing Offenses chose not to exploit the run, they managed 247 yards per game and 2 TD's!

One way or another they also are a lock for over 300 yards of total Offense and 2 TD's in each game.
To look even further...that was the worst defense the Packers have played all year long. Not one guy on defense played with anything resembling heart or talent. Both Carrol and Harris were nowhere near WRs...nobody could cover Heap...no pressure out of Kampman and KGB...Jamal freakin Lewis ran like he was good again.This game was a blip on the screen for Boller. Looked good that one night...but hardly signs of him figuring anything out...or a sign that the Packer defense is as bad as it was that night.

Exactly. Regardless of how they played the rest of the year, the Packs defense was clearly thinking about their golf games in the off season.

Bump for tonights game. As much as I am shocked to type it, Boller has looked good! Tonight's stats so far (4-ish mins left in this game):24 for 34, 289 yards, 3TDs and 1 INT. 2 weeks in a row just a fluke? Anyone starting to sip the kool aid yet? :popcorn:

I think so. I thought all along that he had the tools but he's always hurt or coming back from injury. He's an NFL QB to me.

I would have to say that Boller has improved. And I am a person who has been very doubtful of him ever doing that.However the Vikings defense is not good against the pass so take it with a chunk of salt.I think it is fair to say that if Boller sucked with weapons like Mason Heap and the emerging Mark Clayton against a subpar Vikings pass coverage unit that he would always suck.He didn't so there is some hope for him in the future I think.I dont expect him ever to be a top 10 Qb but he may be servicable for QBBC next year.The direction the Ravens offense goes after this year will have a lot to do with it. They seem to be moving away from a total ball control offense to one that is more balanced.

Bump for tonights game. As much as I am shocked to type it, Boller has looked good!

Tonight's stats so far (4-ish mins left in this game):

24 for 34, 289 yards, 3TDs and 1 INT.

2 weeks in a row just a fluke? Anyone starting to sip the kool aid yet? :popcorn:
The kool aid is tasting good so far. :football:

For those of you saying Boller has improved, do you think it is his maturation OR a combination of:Boller finally getting healthyUtilizing Mason the way he needs toEmergence (and health) of ClaytonI do not think Boller has "improved" that much, but rather the above three factors.

Users who are viewing this thread