What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has Matt Ryan become a good buy low? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Julio is out, Roddy nicked, on a bye. Atlanta's D is not stopping anybody. Running game iffy. Ryan will have to air it out. Shouldn't he put up 300 yards by default now through sheer volume? He's still very accurate, so he'll spread it around to whomever is open.

The guy in our league with Ryan was looking to make trades. I asked him to look at my roster and make an offer, he said it would cost me LeVeon Bell, Josh Freeman and a Wide Receiver like Garcon, TYHilton or Cecil Shorts. I said I would have to pass.

Julio is out, Roddy nicked, on a bye. Atlanta's D is not stopping anybody. Running game iffy. Ryan will have to air it out. Shouldn't he put up 300 yards by default now through sheer volume? He's still very accurate, so he'll spread it around to whomever is open.
Who exactly is he going to throw it to?

I expect the Falcons to do something in the way of a trade because Roddy is out several games now too. Douglas is their main guy now

I expect the Falcons to do something in the way of a trade because Roddy is out several games now too. Douglas is their main guy now
Link? Everything I've seen is maybe one game after bye
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24057082/report-roddy-white-could-miss-multiple-games-with-hamstring-injury
Not sure how you came up with several
Title says multiple games at the top of the page of the article so maybe thats the writter's take on it. Its a glass half empty glass half full scenario IMO. I dont think he will miss just one game with a hamstring issue but I dont think they will shut him down either. I think he will miss at least a couple games though.

I guess my point is I consider Ryan an elite passer. Can make all of the throws and is extremely accurate. While Julio Jones is a stud, it's not as if Julio Jones makes Matt Ryan. He's not some clown throwing up bad passes or jump balls hoping his receiver can overcome it with great plays. If he throws 40 times, he should have 300+ yards and probably a couple TD's by default. Whether that's Gonzales, White, Douglas, RB's out of backfield, etc.

That line of theirs is awful, especially if Baker is out and Baker is mediocre/average.

They're having confidence problems too, the season's crumbling on them.

Unless Roddy comes back 100%, Ryan will struggle. Harry Douglas isn't the type of receiver to catch the ball in tough coverage and the rest of the receivers are unproven.

With that said, Atlanta will probably be passing from behind most of their games. I see more 18-42 for 250 yard type games for Ryan though. That's totally a 'pull it out my butt' prediction.

Who exactly is he going to throw it to?
I think Roddy is going to play all the games, if anything to continue to be a decoy. As for Ryan, when SJax it should help a little but that O-Line is bad and the defense is terrible. I think he'll have plenty of 300+ / 2 TD but will also comes with a load of sacks and multi INTs (not good if your league hits you for sacks and multiple picks). Ryan is going to have many games where he only has 150 yards and down by 14 or more points by the 4th Q and racks up a ton of garbage yards. I know in FF all that matters is stats put you don't want to depend on garbage yards every week.

So good buy but wouldn't give up every much

I think Steven Jackson is the buy low, especially in PPR. I could see Ryan having take the short passes with teams doubling Gonzalez and possibly White if he returns to form.

Opposite IMO, he's someone I'd try to sell to someone thinking that they're buying low. More of a sell while you can IMO. He won't totally suck, but if it's true that Roddy White will miss games too then he isn't someone you can trust in your lineup until Roddy is back and healthy. Tony G alone isn't enough.

He isn't a buy low at all IMO. You'll be paying a low end QB1 price for a low end QB1. Until Ryan tosses a couple clunkers, he is still a name brand.

I guess my point is I consider Ryan an elite passer. Can make all of the throws and is extremely accurate. While Julio Jones is a stud, it's not as if Julio Jones makes Matt Ryan. He's not some clown throwing up bad passes or jump balls hoping his receiver can overcome it with great plays. If he throws 40 times, he should have 300+ yards and probably a couple TD's by default. Whether that's Gonzales, White, Douglas, RB's out of backfield, etc.
I completely disagree with these statements and pretty much everything you've just said. I do not consider Ryan elite. Sure he can put up elite numbers, but he's a product of the people around him. They make him, he does not make them.

I think we see just how good Ryan isn't while Julio and Roddy are out. He does not have an elite arm and while he's somewhat accurate, he completely misses guys quite often. For instance, the ALMOST game winning pass to Roddy 2 weeks ago against the Pats to tie it up. If he makes that pass, they likely tie and go to OT... but he completely misses him. Shocker. Again, Ryan has no elite attributes in my eyes. Arm... meh, Accuracy... meh, Strength... meh, Touch... meh, Toughness... meh, Mobility... mega meh, Pocket Awareness... meh. List goes on. Without the elite WR Julio and likely Roddy missing, I think he's going to flounder.

They're going to be lucky if they're a 5 win team this season and I highly doubt they ever win a championship with him at the helm. Mediocrity does not win championships. Ask the Texans.

ETA: To answer the question in the title... He's a solid fantasy QB when he has his weapons. If you're already giving up on your season and think they'll give him more weapons (like an RB) next season, sure. I want nothing to do with him though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan was QB10 the year before Julio came into the league. Roddy was WR1 that year (2010).

I'm not sure Ryan is a buy low because you'll still pay a QB10 price for him. But Roddy is definitely a buy low.

I have Roddy on my team. I was thinking that he would possibly be healthy after the bye week? I mean god....how many more weeks does he need?

I am running out of patience. Him and Joqiue Bell are pretty much not doing anything for me on my bench.....makes it hard to add players.

TwinTurbo said:
Ryan was QB10 the year before Julio came into the league. Roddy was WR1 that year (2010).

I'm not sure Ryan is a buy low because you'll still pay a QB10 price for him. But Roddy is definitely a buy low.
In 2010 they also had a 1300 yd rusher who the defense actually had to worry about.

Remember? When Turner could still run?

werdnoynek said:
I completely disagree with these statements and pretty much everything you've just said. I do not consider Ryan elite. Sure he can put up elite numbers, but he's a product of the people around him. They make him, he does not make them.

I think we see just how good Ryan isn't while Julio and Roddy are out. He does not have an elite arm and while he's somewhat accurate, he completely misses guys quite often. For instance, the ALMOST game winning pass to Roddy 2 weeks ago against the Pats to tie it up. If he makes that pass, they likely tie and go to OT... but he completely misses him. Shocker. Again, Ryan has no elite attributes in my eyes. Arm... meh, Accuracy... meh, Strength... meh, Touch... meh, Toughness... meh, Mobility... mega meh, Pocket Awareness... meh. List goes on. Without the elite WR Julio and likely Roddy missing, I think he's going to flounder.

They're going to be lucky if they're a 5 win team this season and I highly doubt they ever win a championship with him at the helm. Mediocrity does not win championships. Ask the Texans.

ETA: To answer the question in the title... He's a solid fantasy QB when he has his weapons. If you're already giving up on your season and think they'll give him more weapons (like an RB) next season, sure. I want nothing to do with him though.
As a Ryan owner I pretty much agree with this and I'm very concerned about him moving forward in redraft. IMO Ryan is a slightly above avg NFL QB who was a potential top 5 FF QB simply b/c of the weapons around him.

Now that those weapons have been seriously diminished and the offensive line has proven to be poor, you have a very very avg FF QB. I'm trying to move him or at least trade for another viable starting QB but it's not going to be an easy task.

And by no means would I by looking to buy on Ryan in redrafts right now. He will still have some decent games but this offense is going to struggle to sustain drives. I think the time to buy on Ryan was during drafts were I think he was a relative bargain. But now that his situation is changed for the worse, you are looking at a low end QB1, and I don't see the attraction at all.

The odds are not in his favor to be more than an average FF QB with limited upside. He was drafted with a loaded WR core on the most pass happy team in the league. The O line is worse than we thought. It'll be short passing game to RB's and Gonzalez working the field as much as he can. I'm going to try to trade him but might just end up dropping him to keep PHI QB's and Pryor, way more upside in my eyes.

He definitely fits the bill of a buy low. If you drafted a qb like Kap, Luck, Palmer, Schaub, etc...than Ryan is an upgrade. He still has targets in Quizz, Gonzo and Roddy, and whoever else that will see an increase in opportunities. The Falcons can't turn to a ground game, so Ryan is going to throw the ball 50+ times per game. That in and of itself makes him a valuable fantasy football qb. He also is very accurate and not prone to turnovers...that increases his fantasy value. Other factors in his favor - the Falcons defense gives up points, so you are looking at shootouts or at least high scoring games. They play on a fast track and still have to think they have a chance to make the playoffs...at least they aren't going to sit Ryan for a young kid to give him experience.

He is a great guy to target.....even when Jackson comes back, they are going to throw the ball more than they run.

Users who are viewing this thread