What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

have you had covid ? (1 Viewer)

have you had covid ?

• yes - had no shots

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • yes - had shots

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • no - had no shots

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • no - had shots

Votes: 95 59.0%

• Total voters
Appreciated.  We just don't visit because of the risk to my wife.  My son would welcome us with open arms.  Not his refusal, but ours.  We'll still visit in their garage with the windows up but that's all for now.  Thanks!
Yeah, I get that. What you're doing is completely reasonable. Your son has made a choice. If he wanted to prioritize seeing his ill mother (and allowing her to see her grandkids), he could get a safe, effective vaccine that would also benefit him, his family and his surrounding community.

Anyway, that's just how I feel. I know he's your son and you have the right to feel however you want about him. I wish all of you the best. 

My belief is way more people have had it than we think. I look at sports teams or health care workers who test for it frequently and the numbers of positive, asymptomatic cases and think while maybe because of close quarters in those environments you can't just extrapolate it to the whole public, you can safely say there are way, way more people who've had it but never got recorded as a positive test. 

So, I'd guess I have had it but haven't been sick. (3 shots)
Very true.  I had COVID in March 2020, but my symptoms (lost taste, mild cold) did not justify testing.  I had several friends, who I had spent time with in close proximity in mid-March, who got very sick with one needing the ongoing care of cardiologist. I only found out I had COVID in the summer when I tested positive for antibodies as part of a study. I was not alone as the study showed the actual infection rate in our community, as shown by antibodies, was MUCH higher (23%) than the reported rate (3%). I attribute this to the lack of testing available at the time.

I was tested again as part of this study in January 2021, and tested negative for antibodies, so they were gone 10 months post-infection.  I have since been vaccinated twice and received one booster.  I may have answered the poll question wrong as I "had covid" but also "had shots".  At the time I caught COVID though, I was unvaccinated as no vaccine existed.

Last summer, my cousin died of COVID.  She was 61 and unvaccinated. A good friend with early Parkinson's just died of COVID Monday night.  He too was unvaccinated due to the Parkinsons and was 64. 

You have expressed zero desire to get vaccinated since the beginning, have you not? Curious how you getting covid changed that thinking?
I was skeptical or hesitant off the bat for sure.  I had not ruled out the vaccine though.  Once I learned I had the antibodies and read about natural immunity I moved to the camp of I don't need this vaccine. 

I think anyone (over roughly 25) who is unvaccinated without a prior infection should get vaccinated. 

I was skeptical or hesitant off the bat for sure.  I had not ruled out the vaccine though.  Once I learned I had the antibodies and read about natural immunity I moved to the camp of I don't need this vaccine. 

I think anyone (over roughly 25) who is unvaccinated without a prior infection should get vaccinated. 
Nice to hear. That seems like a solid change of heart. Kudos

Vaxxed, boosted and I have to assume the Cron variant at end of December  I was pretty sick for 7-10 days but I am immunocrompromised. 

Here's the thing though. While natural immunity seems to provide more protection than vac immunity at some point your natural immunity will end. You will have yo get a vac at some point, no?

Here's the thing though. While natural immunity seems to provide more protection than vac immunity at some point your natural immunity will end. You will have yo get a vac at some point, no?
What are you basing this on? The drop in antibody count doesnt mean your protection is gone. 

Natural immunity and the vaccine both protect well against severe illness. 

Getting sick with covid again is the booster. 

I dont understand why someone would go get the Omicron variant booster if they already had Omicron.

Had both shots March-April last year -- got COVID in August -- lost taste for a couple of weeks and mostly just tired over that time.  Got booster a couple of months ago.  

My one daughter had COVID Jan 2021 --then vaxxed, then got it again Jan 2022.  Minor symptoms.

Somehow my wife never tested positive (fully vaxxed and boostered)

All shots (boosted) with Pfizer. I don’t think I’ve had it, but there was a time back in March 2020 that I felt like crap after a quick trip to Atlanta (no shots yet). It lasted more than a week. Nothing since then. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you basing this on? The drop in antibody count doesnt mean your protection is gone. 

Natural immunity and the vaccine both protect well against severe illness. 

Getting sick with covid again is the booster. 

I dont understand why someone would go get the Omicron variant booster if they already had Omicron.
I'm basing it on the history of all the existing coronaviruses in our history 

I'm basing it on the history of all the existing coronaviruses in our history 
What are those numbers at? How many people were dying of coronavirus before 19 came along and what was the treatment plan for them?

Studies showed natural immunity from sars1 provided 80% protection against sars2 20 years later. That seems pretty darn good. 

So far 8/9 with no shots have had covid (89%) and 17/61 with shots have had covid (28%)
Updated.

73% (8/11) with no shots got COVID.

30% (24/80) with shots got COVID.

Fisher exact test, p=.014 

So, get your shot if you want to avoid COVID. Useful data would also include severity and behavior, such as masking, family size, etc. Maybe those who got shots were more cautious. Or maybe not. 

I said no (vaccinated and boosted) but I believe a lot of vaccinated people had covid but didn't get tested or didn't know they had it because for the most part they were asymptomatic. I think most of my friends have had covid and many of them twice.

But I shut down personally. Our pool team decided not to play in league last year, watched Mass line, I am self employed, told my poker friends no poker for about a year etc. Still got out a bit almost always masked.

No vid, as far as I know......got the vax.....never been tested.  I know multiple people who get a test with every sniffle.....as you can imagine, most of the time they come back negative.

jobarules said:

but the shots also lose their effectiveness too (thus the boosters) right ?

I mean are we living in a world of continual shots every 3 months? because we never ever have in the history of humanity 

I mean are we living in a world of continual shots every 3 months? because we never ever have in the history of humanity 
Yep, shots lose effectiveness as well.

I'm guessing we will be on a once a year schedule similar to the flu. 

SoBeDad said:
So, get your shot if you want to avoid COVID. Useful data would also include severity and behavior, such as masking, family size, etc. Maybe those who got shots were more cautious. Or maybe not. 

good point - behavior is something we can't really gauge/poll either ....... I work pretty much alone. I am not in close contact with many people ... unlike some people who work in a busy place with lots of employee's or have large families etc. Then like you said, the masking and cleanliness (washing hands etc) 

my GF was getting over covid (she tested positive 8 days ago) and last night she regressed bigly .... coughing/fever, maybe her worst night but she'd had a busier day that normal too. I just asked her and she said no, she'd not have gotten the shot because in her mind, it woudn't have kept her from getting covid and she's not bad sick (hospitalized) which is what the shots are supposed to do anyway right ?

which is another good poll - how many without shots have had covid - and not been hospitalized? because now, that's what the shots are built up to be, shots to keep you from being hospitalized, right ? 

Yep, shots lose effectiveness as well.

I'm guessing we will be on a once a year schedule similar to the flu. 

The problem is that none of this figured out yet.  Will future shots prevent people from catching covid?  Will they all be MRNA based?  

Have we officially moved to a point where we can compare covid to the flu?  That was frowned upon in 2021.

I will never get the shot again I don't think. I was bullied by my company and I don't ever want to be that again
Military is kicking around mandating boosters.  I think it will be a big mistake if they go that route.  Too many people got it and saw no benefit.  Our policies have become so convoluted they don't make a lot of sense anymore.  

Military is kicking around mandating boosters.  I think it will be a big mistake if they go that route.  Too many people got it and saw no benefit.  Our policies have become so convoluted they don't make a lot of sense anymore.  

the military kinda owns a person - with all the mandatory this/that and its non-negotiable for the most part

employee's/businesses don't run that way - or shouldn't IMO

if a business can force a shot, they can for other medical decisions too - do we really want that in society ?

I've never taken a covid test (believe it or not), so I can't say for sure. I'm going to say 50/50 that covid has run through our house.

We had various cold-like symptoms a couple of times in the last few months that could have been covid. Kids have never tested positive, despite being in the same daycare classes as other kids that have tested positive over the past few months. But since my wife and I are up to date on vaccinations, the kids have never tested positive, and my own symptoms have been extremely mild, I've never gotten tested. 

The problem is that none of this figured out yet.  Will future shots prevent people from catching covid?  Will they all be MRNA based?  

Have we officially moved to a point where we can compare covid to the flu?  That was frowned upon in 2021.
Agreed. I never said it was. That's why I said I was guessing.

Wife and I both got covid in January 2021, pre-vaccine. Both with mild symptoms, with the loss of taste/smell being the worst of it.

Kids get all kinds of shots weeks/months apart. Tetanus shots follow a similar schedule to the Covid shots, two shots four weeks apart followed by a 3rd shot six months later and then we get boosters every 10 years after that.

Flu shots are an annual thing.  Dogs gets booster shots every year.

I don’t understand why you think this is some new phenomenon. 

Kids get all kinds of shots weeks/months apart. Tetanus shots follow a similar schedule to the Covid shots, two shots four weeks apart followed by a 3rd shot six months later and then we get boosters every 10 years after that.

I think hes talking about getting a COVID booster every 3 months forever (which I dont understand where 3 months came in when the current recommendation is 6 months I think).

I think hes talking about getting a COVID booster every 3 months forever (which I dont understand where 3 months came in when the current recommendation is 6 months I think).
CDC dropped it to 5 months mRNA and 2 months after J&J.

Israel is at 3 months I believe. 

I don’t either. He and others on here act like booster shots are this new thing, but they’ve been around as long as vaccines themselves and each vaccine has its own booster schedule. Most vaccines require boosters

I don’t either. He and others on here act like booster shots are this new thing, but they’ve been around as long as vaccines themselves and each vaccine has its own booster schedule. Most vaccines require boosters
The concern is boosters every 3-6 months could damage your immune system.  We really don't know the answer yet.  Understanding the risk vs reward of getting 4+ shots really needs to discussed openly and honestly.  I'm not sure we're there right now. 

The concern is boosters every 3-6 months could damage your immune system.  We really don't know the answer yet.  Understanding the risk vs reward of getting 4+ shots really needs to discussed openly and honestly.  I'm not sure we're there right now. 
There are people who have probably gotten 30+ flu vaccines in their lives. It doesn’t matter how openly and honestly the risk/reward is discussed because you and others will ignore it anyways and just continue to come up with more excuses. 

What is the technical theory behind this concern?
My non-technical lay person answer.  Constant boosters could weaken the body's overall immune response.  One way I've heard it phrased is that these boosters are essentially giving the body the answer to a test.  The body can grow accustom to it and may have a more difficult time fighting off other diseases naturally.  

Per the bloomberg article...

Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune response and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency. Instead, countries should leave more time between booster programs and tie them to the onset of the cold season in each hemisphere, following the blueprint set out by influenza vaccination strategies, the agency said. 

Boosters “can be done once, or maybe twice, but it’s not something that we can think should be repeated constantly,” Marco Cavaleri, the EMA head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy, said at a press briefing on Tuesday. “We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

There are people who have probably gotten 30+ flu vaccines in their lives. It doesn’t matter how openly and honestly the risk/reward is discussed because you and others will ignore it anyways and just continue to come up with more excuses. 
One of the knocks on the MRNA vaccines was that they were never intended to be a reoccurring thing. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate concern that is shared by some of the regulatory agencies. 

those shots have decades of testing/results ... these covid ones are brand new and except for the initial shots given to babies/kids, i can't think of a single one that we for kids to get - even annual flu shots are not mandated 

yes - its a new phenomenon 

What is the technical theory behind this concern?
My non-technical lay person answer.  Constant boosters could weaken the body's overall immune response.  One way I've heard it phrased is that these boosters are essentially giving the body the answer to a test.  The body can grow accustom to it and may have a more difficult time fighting off other diseases naturally.  

Per the bloomberg article...

Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune response and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency. Instead, countries should leave more time between booster programs and tie them to the onset of the cold season in each hemisphere, following the blueprint set out by influenza vaccination strategies, the agency said. 

Boosters “can be done once, or maybe twice, but it’s not something that we can think should be repeated constantly,” Marco Cavaleri, the EMA head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy, said at a press briefing on Tuesday. “We need to think about how we can transition from the current pandemic setting to a more endemic setting.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says
Not really what I was asking for....was trying to understand the scientific concern.  I hadn't heard this before but.....

So, it's true that a person's immune system can become overwhelmed.  And it's true that we need to be thinking about switching from pandemic thought to endemic thought.  What does that mean?  It means that we need to move from "keeping the body on high alert at all times" with frequent boosters (pandemic thought) to "waking the body up and getting it ready for "covid season" with a yearly booster (endemic thought).  

As to this argument that it will weaken the immune system, I'd have to understand more what they mean.  In general, that's wrong.  I recommend reading about the "complement process" (yes, with an "e") our bodies use to maintain immune defense.  When you read about that, you realize our immune systems never really take a break.  They are constantly going.  You'll also realize that the more the immune system is exposed, the more robust it becomes.  Not only does the body take the time to figure out how to get rid of the specific antigen expressed, it goes to it's catalog of already fought antigens to see if it already has something in the arsenal that might help.  If something is there, the immune system will use it.  If not, new entries are created to fight the new antigen.  Sometimes existing answers are pretty close but need tweaking and the body will do that too.  It's the exact opposite of weakening.  Now, if the immune system is going strong because you are fighting multiple things at once and then you get a vaccine shot and add to the stresses of the immune system, then I can see why one might thing it overwhelms the immune system.  That vaccine might very well push a person to the brink because it's already busy with other things.  This is why they ask about other aliments you are dealing with or have dealt with in recent past. 

To the bold, and I can't stress this enough......a booster is only introducing a protein.  There is ZERO instruction in the shot on how the immune system is to attack it.  The body is completely unaware if this protein was introduced via vaccine or came into the body naturally.  So, to believe this "giving answers to a test" explanation, you'd also have to buy into the "there's only so many times you can catch the flu before it kills you" narrative as well.  You can insert whatever antigen/protein/virus you want into that statement.  Both those statements would have to be true and we know the second one isn't.  

What do you mean by this?
This was one of Dr. Malone's claims in a podcasts he was a guest of.  mRNA technology wasn't rolled out prior to covid-19 because there were safety issues with receiving multiple mRNA injections.  There were less safety concerns with taking 2 or 3 mRNA shots as the vaccine was initially intended for, so thats why they used it. 

A better long term plan would be to boost with Novavax which uses a more established technology than mRNA.

I guess the blood donation people stopped testing for anti bodies when vaccines rolled out.  As of Feb 2021 (last time they reported results) no evidence of Covid antibodies.  Since then one negative test when Covid was within the walls of the house.   Original vaccines in March and then booster beginning of December.  Except for routine seasonal allergy symptoms (which historically has masked colds and the flu) no Covid symptoms.

This was one of Dr. Malone's claims in a podcasts he was a guest of.  mRNA technology wasn't rolled out prior to covid-19 because there were safety issues with receiving multiple mRNA injections.  There were less safety concerns with taking 2 or 3 mRNA shots as the vaccine was initially intended for, so thats why they used it. 

A better long term plan would be to boost with Novavax which uses a more established technology than mRNA.
It wasn't rolled out because people were convinced that mRNA was too sensitive and to fragile to work.  That was resolved (obviously).  So now, this doctor is suggesting that it's "safer" to inject yourself with things like aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, etc plus the antigen instead of things that are already found in every single person in the world plus the antigen.  Just stop and think about that for a minute.  Does that make any sense?

It would REALLY benefit you to dump this guy as a source.  He's been wrong at every single turn....every one.  And every single claim is based in nothing but his opinion.  This is why he uses words like "may" and "perhaps" and "possibly".  They are assertions that have not been vetted and just ramblings of someone salty because he feels he wasn't given the credit he is due.

It wasn't rolled out because people were convinced that mRNA was too sensitive and to fragile to work.  That was resolved (obviously).  So now, this doctor is suggesting that it's "safer" to inject yourself with things like aluminum, mercury, formaldehyde, etc plus the antigen instead of things that are already found in every single person in the world plus the antigen.  Just stop and think about that for a minute.  Does that make any sense?
Is your claim that MRNA vaccines are safer than traditional vaccines?  That there are things in traditional vaccines (or novavax specifically) that aren't safe? 

It wasn't rolled out because people were convinced that mRNA was too sensitive and to fragile to work.  That was resolved (obviously). 

it doesn't strike you as odd that for 20-30 years they couldn't get mRNA where they wanted it to be and then BAM!!  with covid virus its now good and "resolved" ?

of course, the emergency authorization makes Moderna/Pfizer etc not liable for anything that goes wrong - which is another big problem for some people

and to me? we don't know long term effects and won't until 10-20 years from now

Is your claim that MRNA vaccines are safer than traditional vaccines?  That there are things in traditional vaccines (or novavax specifically) that aren't safe? 
I gave you an ingredient list common in traditional vaccines. We all have our own thresholds, so if youre ok with those things go for it.  My opinion on them is irrelenent and the disconnect is for you to resolve. 

Users who are viewing this thread