What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

have you had covid ? (1 Viewer)

have you had covid ?

• yes - had no shots

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • yes - had shots

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • no - had no shots

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • no - had shots

Votes: 95 59.0%

• Total voters
Would you have taken a polio vaccine back in the day?  How about smallpox?

Polio 

In 1935 Maurice Brodie, a research assistant at New York University and William Hallock Park of the New York City Department of Health, attempted to produce a polio vaccine, procured from virus in ground up monkey spinal cords, and killed by formaldehyde. Brodie first tested the vaccine on himself and several of his assistants. He then gave the vaccine to three thousand children. Many developed allergic reactions, but none of the children developed an immunity to polio.

If someone would have taken Brodie's vaccine, it'd have been a big failure. Right?  Smallpox is a bit different in discussions, the way people knew long ago to get a little sick vs a lot sick and all that. 

History is filled with vaccine failures https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/  

I'm not sure I'd have taken the vaccines as an adult with a choice. We force it on kids and have for so long nobody really questions it. 

In researching polio and smallpox, it was decades and centuries of research that results in those vaccines - covid was what, 9 months ? that's scary to me. It depends on how scared I was of whatever breakout was happening I suppose

Let me ask you this - in what scenario's can you imagine yourself not trusting a released vaccine and saying no, you didn't want that in your body ? Do you just trust whatever is told to you by the Govt ? 

Not at all.  Reports are it was hidden behind the cure for cancer on the shelf.  Glad they found it :thumbup:  

same question to you -  in what scenario's can you imagine yourself not trusting a released vaccine and saying no, you didn't want that in your body ? Do you just trust whatever is told to you by the Govt ?  

Would you have taken a polio vaccine back in the day?  How about smallpox?

let me reiterate this because I've said it often but its forgotten - if I were 65 or older, if I was not in good shape, if I was not in great health I'd take the shots and I think people in the above categories should. Why? well they're 65 ... this covid virus is what, 85% deaths of people 65 and older? it hits them hard - and, if there are 10-20 year side effects, they'll be 80-85 years old.... does it really matter much at that age? that's how I see it

if the next variant hits 45-50 year old men in good physical health with no compromised conditions etc hard (my age/profile) it would impact how I see these experimental vaccines I'm sure. If a variant starting hitting kids 0-12 and I had kids in that age group, it'd really impact how I saw things I'm certain of it. 

same question to you -  in what scenario's can you imagine yourself not trusting a released vaccine and saying no, you didn't want that in your body ? Do you just trust whatever is told to you by the Govt ?  
There's a million scenarios I can list, none of which have anything to do with doing what the government told me.  I don't listen to the government for medical advice.  I don't know why anyone would honestly, but you do you.  The most popular scenario(s) would be any that didn't have sufficient testing or documented results.  The second most popular would be one where company X came out and said "look at all our data...it's completely safe, let's go!!!!" and then a litany of other studies came out saying the exact opposite providing all their research and data to the contrary.

You'll notice neither of those has anything to do with the government.

There's a million scenarios I can list, none of which have anything to do with doing what the government told me.  I don't listen to the government for medical advice.  I don't know why anyone would honestly, but you do you.  The most popular scenario(s) would be any that didn't have sufficient testing or documented results.  The second most popular would be one where company X came out and said "look at all our data...it's completely safe, let's go!!!!" and then a litany of other studies came out saying the exact opposite providing all their research and data to the contrary.

You'll notice neither of those has anything to do with the government.

this covid vaccine is tied directly to the Govt - from Trump having to emergency allow the vaccines to the comments from Democrats on not trusting Trump and his vaccines to a big part of Biden's platform being fighting covid to Biden forcing mandates, all the shutdowns and forced mask wearing that came down from Govt and then being told it'll take 55 years for the FDA to release all the information on the vaccines ..... how do you not see this as tied to Govt telling us what to do ?

this covid vaccine is tied directly to the Govt - from Trump having to emergency allow the vaccines to the comments from Democrats on not trusting Trump and his vaccines to a big part of Biden's platform being fighting covid to Biden forcing mandates, all the shutdowns and forced mask wearing that came down from Govt and then being told it'll take 55 years for the FDA to release all the information on the vaccines ..... how do you not see this as tied to Govt telling us what to do ?
I listed above how I make my decisions, which is what you asked.  If you allow the things like what you list here come into your equation, that's on you.  Not all of us do.  Stop shoving goalposts around.

I listed above how I make my decisions, which is what you asked.  If you allow the things like what you list here come into your equation, that's on you.  Not all of us do.  Stop shoving goalposts around.
He does it in every conversation, that’s why he’s on my ignore list.  He doesn’t debate in good faith.   

SoBeDad said:
So far 8/9 with no shots have had covid (89%) and 17/61 with shots have had covid (28%)
Updated.

73% (8/11) with no shots got COVID.

30% (24/80) with shots got COVID.

Fisher exact test, p=.014 

So, get your shot if you want to avoid COVID. Useful data would also include severity and behavior, such as masking, family size, etc. Maybe those who got shots were more cautious. Or maybe not. 

Thanks to you two for pointing out these %s, because the OP's past posts make me think they might have focused more on the # with shots who got it vs the # without who got it.

Double vaxxed.  Tested positive two weeks ago, kicked my ### and still lingering fatigue and breathing issues.  I’m a very healthy 42 year old.  No medical issues to speak of, in good shape, smoked for a long time but quit ten years ago.  
Weird

This is me exactly except I’m a little older and quit smoking 5 yrs ago 

Yeah, I know...I normally don't engage, but I had a moment of weakness :bag:  
It’s disappointing really every time I have to put somebody on ignore.  I’d love a bit of honesty from the right instead of just regurgitating talking points ad nausea.  What makes a person support a guy like McConnell who so publicly lies and double deals? 

But all we get is talking points, weird gotchas, and goalposts moving around like it’s the Daytona 500. I’d love to have an actual open honest conversation with some MAGAs.  It’s fascinating to me.  I don’t get wrapped up in politics too much anymore.  I don’t understand given another man such a huge part of your own identity.   :shrug:

interesting - you seem almost angered of my points in how the Govt has shoved these vaccines - why ? you can't disagree that's what happened - I mean the radio waves, media outlets and billboard signs for the last year have hammered us with "get the shot" propoganda

but you don't see the Govt as giving advice on medical decisions? I mean they mandated them - right? It might not have affected you but it affected millions, myself included

the equation was and has been impacted by the Fed Govt, you disagree ?  

It’s disappointing really every time I have to put somebody on ignore.  I’d love a bit of honesty from the right instead of just regurgitating talking points ad nausea.  What makes a person support a guy like McConnell who so publicly lies and double deals? 

But all we get is talking points, weird gotchas, and goalposts moving around like it’s the Daytona 500. I’d love to have an actual open honest conversation with some MAGAs.  It’s fascinating to me.  I don’t get wrapped up in politics too much anymore.  I don’t understand given another man such a huge part of your own identity.   :shrug:
engage more with dimich, jm192, fairwarning, etc.....I know there are a few others that I probably missed, but this is a good group of dudes.

Still haven't had it yet. Double vax, getting booster mid-Feb. take several supplements and although I am against the mask mandates, I do where a mask in stores. We have been around several neighbors and family members that have gotten it. Tested for anti-bodies a year ago (negative) when I donated blood, but they stopped testing for anti-bodies earlier this year.

Weird

This is me exactly except I’m a little older and quit smoking 5 yrs ago 
Weird 

This is me except I quit smoking 15 years ago.  :lmao:

Im double vaxed and had it over the holidays pretty sure with a few days of taste/smell being off after being sick. 

Not sure how to answer 

I have had it (April 2021)

I came down with symptoms the day I got my first shot, so I obviously contracted it prior to getting the shot 

have not had it (that I know of) since I’ve gotten full shots.  Have not gotten a booster 

My cousin died of the Vid yesterday.  He was overweight, unvaxxed, and most dangerously living in Arizona.  RIP cousin Mark. He just turned 40. Three daughters.  So senseless.  

Very sorry to hear this and for your loss, man.  :( :(

To answer the initial question, I have had three shots.  I have never tested positive for COVID, although I still think I had it in January 2020 before it exploded, as I had a week or so where I was a little short of breath at times and very minor chest pressure, both of which I still get on occasion.  

I think this is an interesting poll but it might be more useful if there was some way to judge the severity of the illnesses among groups.  If vaxxed people are getting mild versions of Covid and unvaxxed are getting it much worse, that seems highly relevant.
well mine was so mild i found it hard to believe i actually had it

After three years of avoiding it, my whole vaxxed family just got CRUSHED with it. No hospitalizations yet (hopefully ever), but it is kicking our butts. I am having a rough time breathing and my wife can't keep most food down. This has been NO JOKE. Wait, this thread is in the political forum? WTH? Just found it on search.

After three years of avoiding it, my whole vaxxed family just got CRUSHED with it. No hospitalizations yet (hopefully ever), but it is kicking our butts. I am having a rough time breathing and my wife can't keep most food down. This has been NO JOKE. Wait, this thread is in the political forum? WTH? Just found it on search.

I had covid a second time a few weeks back (vax) as did my GF (not vax) and my son (military and double vaxxed triple boosted)

the virus doesn't care if you've had the shots

I got over it fast as did my son - my GF not as much but her BMI/health isn't as good as ours and I think that's a huge contributor

I had covid a second time a few weeks back (vax) as did my GF (not vax) and my son (military and double vaxxed triple boosted)

I got over it fast as did my son - my GF not as much but her BMI/health isn't as good as ours and I think that's a huge contributor
As someone with a preexisting condition I am grateful I was vaxxed. It would have been so much worse I suspect. And it's pretty bad.

The poll results say otherwise

I had Covid in Dec 2020. Got noth does of the vaccine in mid 2021. Had Covid for the second time last week. The second time felt like a bad cold or flu but was a walk in the park compared to the the first time. The first time included days of fever, headaches, sore throat and body aches that made even sleeping difficult.

I may or may not get boosted in the future. Depends on severity of the illness and effectiveness of the boosters. Feels like the boosters are not real effective now.

Good luck dude. Hope everybody feels better soon.

Sorry to hear that, Pik. Were you able to get Paxlovid? When I had it recently I think that helped.

I had Covid about a month and a half ago for the first time. It had me in bed for 48 hours and left me with a cough/phlegm for about a week after I tested negative. It took 10 days before I got a negative test.

Two weeks afterwards I ended up getting the flu, rocking a 103 fever for 4 days and a nasty cough that I finally just kicked last week.

I was vaccinated for both and am glad I was because if the symptoms were much worse it would have totally sucked

Sorry to hear that, Pik. Were you able to get Paxlovid? When I had it recently I think that helped.
I'll be ok. Just gotta tough it out a few more days hopefully. Appreciate the positive words.

of the 88 that said no, I bet most of them has had covid

understand at this point everyone has been exposed to the virus to some degree and the shots didn't do anything to stop you from getting the virus

Id guess every American has "had" covid by now

understand at this point everyone has been exposed to the virus to some degree and the shots didn't do anything to stop you from getting the virus

:shrug: my wife has been maybe a couple dozen times now. Nobody of our 7 in our family has ever had symptoms. We’re all boosted. It’s possible we’ve had it and it just fell in a time she and our daughter weren’t tested but that seems unlikely and would have been almost perfect timing.

:shrug: my wife has been maybe a couple dozen times now. Nobody of our 7 in our family has ever had symptoms. We’re all boosted. It’s possible we’ve had it and it just fell in a time she and our daughter weren’t tested but that seems unlikely and would have been almost perfect timing.

right, showed symptoms .... but after 3 years and covid having different strains etc. I'd bet my 401K ya'll have been exposed, your bodies have had the virus and your bodies fought the virus off well

vaccine/boosted doesn't stop infections, we know that now right ?

right, showed symptoms .... but after 3 years and covid having different strains etc. I'd bet my 401K ya'll have been exposed, your bodies have had the virus and your bodies fought the virus off well

vaccine/boosted doesn't stop infections, we know that now right ?
No doubt we’ve been exposed to the virus, many friends have been sick. That’s not the same thing as actually having the illness. Again, the wife has been tested fairly consistently monthly. She’s never tested positive. That doesn’t mean none of the rest of us had it, but we’ve had no symptoms and our daughter is immune compromised. She gets seen at st Jude’s regularly.

And yet…not knowing they had covid likely while vaxxed…shows the vaccine is effective.

And yet…not knowing they had covid likely while vaxxed…shows the vaccine is effective.

no, many asymptomatic people didn't have the vaccines, it shows how healthy human bodies, natural immunity etc is effective

remember - the vaccines ONLY STOP serious illness ... that's the current selling point anyway

no, many asymptomatic people didn't have the vaccines, it shows how healthy human bodies, natural immunity etc is effective

remember - the vaccines ONLY STOP serious illness ... that's the current selling point anyway
I hear what you’re saying but I’ve known far too many seemingly very healthy people who got sick badly with the virus to think this always works. Your odds are better if you’re healthy, just like your odds are better after you’ve had the vaccine. Having the vaccine and being healthy is the best course. we’re all still playing the odds, just some odds are better than others.

That is what a lot of vaccines do. Like say...the flu vaccine.
Sure...Im sure some asymptomatic people did not have the vaccine. What we have seen overall during this...is vaccinated typically (statistically) are less likely to develop severe reactions to the virus. And have been better off. That a large majority of those with severe illness with covid and death have been unvaccinated. Do you agree with that?

I'd like to see a poll of how many people have proper Zinc, Vit D and Vit C uptake in their diets/lifestyles. No vax here. Have been around Covids regularly since Dec 2019. No positive tests here either, despite taking many dozens of them by now, at least, in the last couple years. Zinc (w/proper ionophores) and D were identified in early 2020 as having plentiful positive effects in protecting against severe illness, but were hardly ever emphasized by the mainstream. Shame.

I'd like to see a poll of how many people have proper Zinc, Vit D and Vit C uptake in their diets/lifestyles. No vax here. Have been around Covids regularly since Dec 2019. No positive tests here either, despite taking many dozens of them by now, at least, in the last couple years. Zinc (w/proper ionophores) and D were identified in early 2020 as having plentiful positive effects in protecting against severe illness, but were hardly ever emphasized by the mainstream. Shame.
Congrats on your unprecedented matrix-like ability to avoid COVID -- lucky you -- Maybe those things you listed had something to do with it --but I doubt it

This study doesn't include vitamin D, but indicates vitamin C and zinc don't offer protection.

Question Do high-dose zinc, high-dose ascorbic acid, and/or a combination of the 2 reduce the duration of symptoms of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)?

Findings In this randomized clinical trial of 214 patients with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection receiving outpatient care, there was no significant difference in the duration of symptoms among the 4 groups.

Meaning These findings suggest that treatment with zinc, ascorbic acid, or both does not affect SARS-CoV-2 symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread