What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Head Coach Vacancies (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabasco Red

Footballguy
KnownMIN - Tice is outGB - Sherman is outDET - Mariucci fired mid-seasonSTL - Martz is outKC - Vermeil retiresNO - Haslett, goneHOU - Capers, goneProbableOAK - Norv TurnerBUF - GM Donahoe likely gone according to ownerPossibleBUF - Mularkey, poor performanceRumorDAL - ParcellsNYJ - Herm EdwardsIt looks like the rest of the NFL is sticking with what they've got.ETA: Looks like Haslett is officially done, and a couple Bills sites have Mularkey out, just not official.Looks like Capers is official too.Now seeing reports that GM Donahoe is likely gone by the end of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep hearing a buzz about Edwards going to KC, but he maintains that he's the Jets coach and he's not going anywhere.I'm the minority that actually thinks Edwards is a good coach. I wouldn't want to see him go. It would be tempting for him to make the switch though considering the situation he'd be stepping into in KC and what he's in the middle of right now in NY.We'll see...

This could make for a lopsided NFL next year. There can't possibly 7-9 worth head coaching canidates, right? :unsure:

This could make for a lopsided NFL next year. There can't possibly 7-9 worth head coaching canidates, right? :unsure:
Keep in mind some of those fired or leaving the HC spots will likely fill other empty HC spots.Some of the fired guys will kink of replace those asst coaches who move into HC spots also.

Worthy depends on the team you are talking about. Say Haslett leaves NO then they will likely take anyone they can get almost while say SD can be more picky because of the talent on the team. Just an example.

Dennis Green has had some rumors of leaving too.
I haven't heard that even once......where are you getting that from?
Various sources. Mostly columnists looking for something to talk about. Rumors that he might look for a buyout. Rumors that owners aren't happy with the progress of the team.He'll probably be back, but not definite.

Known

MIN - Tice is out

GB - Sherman is out

DET - Mariucci fired mid-season

STL - Martz is out

KC - Vermeil retires

Probable

HOU - Capers is on the block (ESPNews is reporting pending a press conference)

OAK - Norv Turner

Possible

BUF - Mularkey, poor performance

NO - Haslett, didn't he ask for full control of the team?

Rumor

DAL - Parcells

NYJ - Herm Edwards

It looks like the rest of the NFL is sticking with what they've got.
I think Parcell's will be back for atleast one more year. This is HIS team now. He built it and he will make it even better this off season. With Flozell Adams back and another bookend tackle, this team could make some noise next season. I wouldn't mind seeing Norv Turner back in Dallas. Sean Payton is the worst offensive coordinator in football. Turner sucks as a head coach but he is a great offensive coordinator when he has nothing else on his plate. I know this would never happen though.I think Herm Edwards is one of the best coaches in the NFL. His team was dismantled by injuries and they will start rebuilding from the ground up next year, he wont want any part of that. KC is ready to win right now. Herm could be the differences in them going to the super bowl next year.

No way in hell Haslett is back in NO next season. If I were him I would resign. Aaron Brooks should be shown the door as well. Matt Lienart will be the next NO quarterback, unfortunatley for him. Haslett has mismanaged this team for long enough. I think New Orleans may trade this pick to the Titans so that Norm Chow can be reunited with Lienart. I love McPherson, I would like to see them give him a chance. With all the uncertainty of New Orleans, it would be hard for them to attract a big name coach and big name free agents in my opinion. Could be interesting to see what they can figure out.

I think Mularky gets a pass this year but next year he will be done if this continues. He has talent and Losman has some skill. I think he will make some big progress next year and have the Bills competing.

Capers was replace weeks ago by Dan Reeves. Reeves will have Houston in contention next season, mark my words, and it will be WITHOUT Reggie Bush.

Mike martz seems like a great fit in Minnesota to me. He could have that offense scoring 50 points a game with that talent. They could make some trades and grab Bush......maybe......or when the Whizzinator comes back he could make some noise. Either way, Martz has made Pro Bowlers out of worse QB than C-Pepp.

The Rams need a defense coach, maybe Greg Williams from Washington. The offense can pretty much run on autopilot. I would like to see a fresh face in there. Maybe Shula from Alabama? I could see them bringing in a hot young college coach.

The Packers must know Favre isn't coming back all ready. Favre already said that Sherman coming back was a stipulation of his return if I rememeber correctly. Expect the Pack to be 2-14 or something next year as they start building for the future. Reggie Bush could be in their future as well. Rodgers/Walker/Bush would be a nice start for the future.

Detroit could use Mike Martz as well becuase he can take any no name and make them a great QB. The Lions also play in a dome like the Rams and he loves that. Could be interesting what Martz could do with that lazy receiving corp. I think the Lions need some discipline and someone who can light a fire under them. They will also be in the market for a QB so that could be a really interesting situation to watch. With the right QB and Coach this team could be really scary.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: This is going to be a great offseason......

Dennis Green has had some rumors of leaving too.
I haven't heard that even once......where are you getting that from?
Various sources. Mostly columnists looking for something to talk about. Rumors that he might look for a buyout. Rumors that owners aren't happy with the progress of the team.He'll probably be back, but not definite.
Wow, that is news to me. I thought he was making some nice progress. He needs a RB there pretty bad. The offense is nasty. Two receivers with 100 receptions? That is pretty impressive if you ask me. If they did let him go, he would be unemployed for about 10 seconds. The Rams and Chiefs would be a nice fit for him..... I agree, he will probably be back.

I wouldn't expect Capers to get a HC job somewhere else this year - but he's a great addition to a staff as a DC. That would be a great hire.Who are the rumored OC/DC's for a HC spot this year? Ron Rivera should get strong consideration but I'm not sure he's ready and I think he would prefer not to go to one of the Bears rivals but he probably wouldn't turn it down.

Gregg Williams is definitely a HC next year -- likely KC or STL, although I keep hearing HOU rumors here locally.I do think there is something to the Herm/KC deal.I also like Martz to the Vikes.I think Jim Schwartz -- Titans DC -- goes somewhere as HC or other. When done, I'm wondering who will come to Tennessee as DC, maybe Jerry Gray at BUF.

Hey, Texas, I thought Joe Gibbs was going to quit in disgust when the Redskins lost their last two games and missed the playoffs. :P Oh, and mark my words, Gregg Williams will still be the ###'t Head Coach-Defense for the Redskins in 2006. Dan Snyder and Gibbs will make it worth his while to spend another season in Washington. When his defense wins a Super Bowl next season, he'll be able to write his own ticket.

Known

MIN - Tice is out

GB - Sherman is out

STL - Martz is out

KC - Vermeil retires

Probable

OAK - Norv Turner

Possible

Rumor

DAL - Parcells

NYJ - Herm Edwards

I think Herm Edwards is one of the best coaches in the NFL. His team was dismantled by injuries and they will start rebuilding from the ground up next year, he wont want any part of that. KC is ready to win right now. Herm could be the differences in them going to the super bowl next year. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: This is going to be a great offseason......
Toilet Bowl maybe. Hermie is a dope. He is clueless on Sundays and plays not to lose rather than his infamous "you play to win". All of this talk about being some kind of mystic motivator, yet the Jets come out flat all too often, like against KC in the opener.

Known

MIN - Tice is out

GB - Sherman is out

STL - Martz is out

KC - Vermeil retires

Probable

OAK - Norv Turner

Possible

Rumor

DAL - Parcells

NYJ - Herm Edwards

I think Herm Edwards is one of the best coaches in the NFL. His team was dismantled by injuries and they will start rebuilding from the ground up next year, he wont want any part of that. KC is ready to win right now. Herm could be the differences in them going to the super bowl next year. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: This is going to be a great offseason......
Toilet Bowl maybe. Hermie is a dope. He is clueless on Sundays and plays not to lose rather than his infamous "you play to win". All of this talk about being some kind of mystic motivator, yet the Jets come out flat all too often, like against KC in the opener.
They were indeed flat in that opening game (and a few others), but Herm had them playing hard down the stretch when nothing was at stake except pride.I agree that Herm's playcalling and game management still need some work, but I have no doubt that his teams play hard for him.

I'm not as down on him as some of my fellow Jets homers, especially considering his track record of getting the team into the playoffs. I don't think any coach could have gotten much more out of this decimated team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Known

MIN - Tice is out

GB - Sherman is out

STL - Martz is out

KC - Vermeil retires

Probable

OAK - Norv Turner

Possible

Rumor

DAL - Parcells

NYJ - Herm Edwards

They were indeed flat in that opening game (and a few others), but Herm had them playing hard down the stretch when nothing was at stake except pride.I agree that Herm's playcalling and game management still need some work, but I have no doubt that his teams play hard for him.

I'm not as down on him as some Jets homers, especially considering his track record of getting the team into the playoffs. I don't think any coach could have gotten much more out of this decimated team.
:goodposting: I think the majority of Herm bashers are those who just regurgitate the opinions they hear on sports talk shows rather than to formulate their own.

As for the NO job, it's high risk high-reward. low expectations ina crappy situation. But there is a big golden ticket brewing. Matt Leinert and the Los Angeles Saints. Instant fan base, instant hero, instant glut of money from new owners... An experienced coach with eyes 2-3 years down the road might see massive opportunity in the NO job.

As for the NO job, it's high risk high-reward. low expectations ina crappy situation. But there is a big golden ticket brewing. Matt Leinert and the Los Angeles Saints. Instant fan base, instant hero, instant glut of money from new owners... An experienced coach with eyes 2-3 years down the road might see massive opportunity in the NO job.
Very interesting, I hadn't thought about it that way. :thumbup:

Hey, Texas, I thought Joe Gibbs was going to quit in disgust when the Redskins lost their last two games and missed the playoffs. :P

Oh, and mark my words, Gregg Williams will still be the ###'t Head Coach-Defense for the Redskins in 2006. Dan Snyder and Gibbs will make it worth his while to spend another season in Washington. When his defense wins a Super Bowl next season, he'll be able to write his own ticket.
Let's not get too carried away with the Redskins just yet. I will admit, they ended the season far better than I predicted but they wont make it past the first round. Don't start shining up your super bowl ring just yet. The Cowboys, Giants and Eagles will all be better next year and that is going to make it tough on them. The two easy wins everyone got over Philly wont be there next year. I have to agree with you on one thing. Snyder and Gibbs may convince Williams to stick around becuase that will more than likely be his job once Gibbs steps down again. That would be a pretty good spot for him to stay. He is a great d-coach, that is for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread