What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heat movie (1 Viewer)

Chicks don't understand the beauty of a well-executed heist that still goes to hell and turns into a lead-slinging, full-auto firefight in the streets of downtown.

I don't understand the appeal of "Fried Green Tomatoes".

We're just different.

Chicks don't understand the beauty of a well-executed heist that still goes to hell and turns into a lead-slinging, full-auto firefight in the streets of downtown.

I don't understand the appeal of "Fried Green Tomatoes".

We're just different.
:goodposting: :lmao:

Heat is about a half hour too long.

They should have totally eliminated the love interest of DeNiro - as it was pointless in the plot.

They should have totally eliminated the love interest of DeNiro - as it was pointless in the plot.
I disagree. It gave him a chance to live up to his words regarding the heat around the corner.

I disagree. It gave him a chance to live up to his words regarding the heat around the corner.
Absolutely. It provided the emotional foundation of the film and was balanced nicely by the relationship between Val Kilmer and Ashley Judd's characters. Michael Mann is an incredible filmmaker and in his best films (and he doesn't make many bad ones IMO) he realizes that every aspect of the film, however minute it appears, reflects on the story as a whole. The same applies to the Dennis Haysbert character who despite minimal screen time and "importance" is fleshed out extremely well. He's a small character but we understand everything about his motivation which leads to the right level of pathos when he dies (and his sister sees the news about it on TV).

The same applies to the Dennis Haysbert character who despite minimal screen time and "importance" is fleshed out extremely well. He's a small character but we understand everything about his motivation which leads to the right level of pathos when he dies (and his sister sees the news about it on TV).
Yeah that part sucked. :sadbanana:

The same applies to the Dennis Haysbert character who despite minimal screen time and "importance" is fleshed out extremely well. He's a small character but we understand everything about his motivation which leads to the right level of pathos when he dies (and his sister sees the news about it on TV).
Sister? I thought it was his girlfriend. Don't they kiss?

You don't kiss your sister?

What sister?

What sister?
You don't have a sister to kiss?

What sister?
You've lost me. Anywho, they kiss on the lips in the movie. They're not related, I don't think.

My wife liked it. That may have more to do with the fact she is quite the Val Kilmer fan though than anything else.

What sister?
You've lost me. Anywho, they kiss on the lips in the movie. They're not related, I don't think.
It's his girlfriend/or wife.

I couldn't disagree more. Get rid of De Niro's love interest and he then looks like another typical movie bad guy who is just all bad, bad, bad. His relationship showed another side of his character and also demonstrated his attempt at having a 'normal' relationship in the midst of living a very 'abnormal' life. It also helped showed how similar the Pacino and De Niro characters were when it came to putting their jobs before their relationships. In other words, even though one character was a good guy cop and another was a bad guy killer, they are more alike than you think.

One of my favorite movies of all time. Great acting, fantastic story, great direction, and amazing action.

Loved it up until the end...it just ended so lamely.

Deniro is playing such a sharp guy...but he doesn't realize he's going to cast a freaking shadow when those lights come blaring up? He doesn't lay flat on the ground and just lie in wait for Pacino? It just bugs...no way does MY Deniro die at the end of that movie. My version has Pacino spitting blood and sihtting lead...with Deniro walking away clean.

Deniro is playing such a sharp guy...but he doesn't realize he's going to cast a freaking shadow when those lights come blaring up?  He doesn't lay flat on the ground and just lie in wait for Pacino?  It just bugs...no way does MY Deniro die at the end of that movie.  My version has Pacino spitting blood and sihtting lead...with Deniro walking away clean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In MY ending, they both shoot each other in the head at the same time and fall forward identically. Then Waynegrow comes in clutching his head and chest, steals their wallets and runs away pumping his fist.

Deniro is playing such a sharp guy...but he doesn't realize he's going to cast a freaking shadow when those lights come blaring up?  He doesn't lay flat on the ground and just lie in wait for Pacino?  It just bugs...no way does MY Deniro die at the end of that movie.  My version has Pacino spitting blood and sihtting lead...with Deniro walking away clean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In MY ending, they both shoot each other in the head at the same time and fall forward identically. Then Waynegrow comes in clutching his head and chest, steals their wallets and runs away pumping his fist.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll allow it.

the main problem with this movie is that the ending is just not believable. there's no way DeNiro's character risks everything to go back after Waingro.

the main problem with this movie is that the ending is just not believable. there's no way DeNiro's character risks everything to go back after Waingro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Waingro actually says it himself.Waingro: Well, he's probably busy right now. But he's real thorough. He ain't gon' forget about you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My feeling's exactly.People are talking about how he's committed to the mantra he's spitting about how he'll leave...he'll just walk away from the chick when the cops come knocking...and how it's such an integral part of the movie to see him do it at the end...but then that same logic flies in the face of why is he even there in the first place? No way he'll risk everything for the broad...but he'll risk it all for revenge?

Hell...revenge can be served up long distance via a cell phone on a remote island while sipping umbrella drinks and snorting coke off the bottom's of naked island girls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My feeling's exactly.People are talking about how he's committed to the mantra he's spitting about how he'll leave...he'll just walk away from the chick when the cops come knocking...and how it's such an integral part of the movie to see him do it at the end...but then that same logic flies in the face of why is he even there in the first place? No way he'll risk everything for the broad...but he'll risk it all for revenge?

Hell...revenge can be served up long distance via a cell phone on a remote island while sipping umbrella drinks and snorting coke off the bottom's of naked island girls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the original script Bobby D made it to the airport and got away, but Bobby D didn't like that ending. "I need to whack Waingro before I leave the city. What Waingro did was wrong." Michael Mann responded, "You'll get caught, Bobby. Al is too good." Deniro insisted and ultimately it was his downfall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the original script Bobby D made it to the airport and got away, but Bobby D didn't like that ending. "I need to whack Waingro before I leave the city. What Waingro did was wrong." Michael Mann responded, "You'll get caught, Bobby. Al is too good." Deniro insisted and ultimately it was his downfall.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At times...I can be smart enough to resist those types of urges...but ultimately...I'd probably slice Waingro from his crotch to his ears as well...but no freaking way am I going down like that...

from the script:

INT. HYATT HOUSE, LOBBY - SERVICE DOOR: NEIL - NIGHT

enters and crosses to the elevators.  He glances to his

left.

NEIL'S POV: DESK CLERK

talks on his police radio.  TILT DOWN.  A 9mm.  Beretta is

under the counter top.

NEIL

continues to the elevators. It says he KNOWS Waingro is a

trap. He knows the LAPD are here. He's come for him

anyway.
this dude is smart and completely unemotional about everything he does. he supposedly falls in love with this chick and talks her into flying away with him. He can get away clean if he just goes to the airport, but instead he decides to turn around and goes to this hotel. He gets into the hotel and KNOWS its a trap but still decides to go through with it just to get revenge.if revenge was that important to him, he could get the dude back some other time down the road. no need to do it now while all this heat was on him. ending tarnished what was otherwise a very good film.

from the script:

enters and crosses to the elevators.   He glances to his

left.

talks on his police radio.   TILT DOWN.   A 9mm.   Beretta is

under the counter top.

NEIL

anyway.
this dude is smart and completely unemotional about everything he does. he supposedly falls in love with this chick and talks her into flying away with him. He can get away clean if he just goes to the airport, but instead he decides to turn around and goes to this hotel. He gets into the hotel and KNOWS its a trap but still decides to go through with it just to get revenge.if revenge was that important to him, he could get the dude back some other time down the road. no need to do it now while all this heat was on him. ending tarnished what was otherwise a very good film.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Michael Mann yelled action, Bobby D was suppose to drive straight to the airport, but he didn't. He took the exit to the hotel and Mann had no choice but to keep rolling. If you listen closely as Deniro gets out of the car you can here Mann saying (very matter-of-factly), "Al is going to be there, he's going to catch you. You throwing it all away." Deniro didn't listen and the rest is cinematic history.

When Michael Mann yelled action, Bobby D was suppose to drive straight to the airport, but he didn't.  He took the exit to the hotel and Mann had no choice but to keep rolling.  If you listen closely as Deniro gets out of the car you can here Mann saying (very matter-of-factly), "Al is going to be there, he's going to catch you.  You throwing it all away."  Deniro didn't listen and the rest is cinematic history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:lmao: way to go Bobby :thumbdown:

I think the ending was good and very realistic. You have to remember that as cold and ruthless as Neal was, his relationship with Eady unwittingly make him think of things on a more emotional level, and considering Waingro was ultimately responsible for the deaths of all of his friends (except for Nate and Chris), the thirst for revenge was too much for him to resist at that moment, so he made an emotional decision, rather than a calculated one. Plus, you get the idea that he wanted to start a new life with Eady, but if the Waingro thing was still up in the air, he would still feel that pull to his "old life,' so he decided to take care of business now (and make no mistake about it, HE wanted to be the one to kill Waingro, rather than having someone else take care of it). Like has been said, it was the risk vs. reward thing. And he lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
from the script:

enters and crosses to the elevators.  He glances to his

left.

talks on his police radio.  TILT DOWN.  A 9mm.  Beretta is

under the counter top.

NEIL

anyway.
I hated how the movie ended, personally, but it was the correct way to end it. I think the whole entire point of the movie was about DeNiro and Pacino not having relationships that got in the way of their work. That is why both were so successful; one at commiting crimes, the other at solving them. It was DeNiro's relationship with his crew, his loyalty, that got him caught in the end. He could not get over the fact that he was screwed over by a former accomplice, one that killed his friend (Danny Trejo). If he had that much love for the girl, he might have been able to walk away. he couldn't let it go.

Val Kilmer, on the other hand, could. He couldn't in the beginning, but when it mattered, he was able to continue driving.

Notice the scene when the guys take their ladies out to dinner, not realizing they're being watched? You can see how empty DeNiro felt, being the only one there without a partner. He soon takes off to meet Amy Brenneman. Pure genius by Michael Mann to put in that scene. Subtle, but it set the tone for the rest of the movie.

Overall, if what you say is correct, it proves DeNiro's weakness. He was smart, brilliant, in fact, but his emotion got in the way. He stressed not having emotional attachment, but in the end, it was his attachment that did him in.

Possibly one of my favorite movie lines ever when Al Pacino says, "She's gotta great ###, and you've got your head all the way up it."

How does Chris get through that roadblock at the end? They had all the goods on him which would include at least his mug shots. I know he cut his hair and it was dark but comon.

Also, why couldn't they go in on the prowl on that final job?

Users who are viewing this thread