What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help GM Get His Dream Job - PA Announcer for the Hillsboro Hops (1 Viewer)

Don't know how helpful this will be, but since I've been listening to more college baseball broadcasts lately (LOOK AT ME! MY SON PLAYS DIII BASEBALL IN COLLEGE AND SOME OF THE SCHOOLS THEY PLAY LIVESTREAM THEIR GAMES!!!), I'm noticing a few things that they generally all do:

(in no specific order)

-use the time-honored euphemisms, i.e., when a pitcher sets up to pitch, he 'toes the rubber', and when announcing the starting pitcher for the home team, say he 'takes the bump'. The plate is 'the dish', occasionally call a lefty--pitcher or hitter--a 'southpaw', etc.

-you can get away with calling any pitch that doesn't look like a straight up fastball a 'breaking ball'.

-it's okay to use all the stats on a player during their first at-bat; that frees you up to reference their last at-bat and/or any notable plays they were in earlier in the game.

-also, FWIW I think that a sense of objectivity portrays a more overall understanding of the game, instead of just being a homer for your team. Shows you're either more than a homer and/or a more polished broadcaster.

Good luck!

1st serious idea: What are your strengths & weaknesses (other than just bein' GM)?
I'll field this one for you, GM: 

1. The amount of carbon based matter he can comfortably fit into his oral cavity

2. Motility

I'll leave it up to the eye of the beholder to decide whether those are strengths, weaknesses, or both.

bring the corndog video
If this wasn't our boy's "resume" for the cattle call for this thing, then he did it wrong.

Don't know how helpful this will be, but since I've been listening to more college baseball broadcasts lately (LOOK AT ME! MY SON PLAYS DIII BASEBALL IN COLLEGE AND SOME OF THE SCHOOLS THEY PLAY LIVESTREAM THEIR GAMES!!!), I'm noticing a few things that they generally all do:

(in no specific order)

-use the time-honored euphemisms, i.e., when a pitcher sets up to pitch, he 'toes the rubber', and when announcing the starting pitcher for the home team, say he 'takes the bump'. The plate is 'the dish', occasionally call a lefty--pitcher or hitter--a 'southpaw', etc.

-you can get away with calling any pitch that doesn't look like a straight up fastball a 'breaking ball'.

-it's okay to use all the stats on a player during their first at-bat; that frees you up to reference their last at-bat and/or any notable plays they were in earlier in the game.

-also, FWIW I think that a sense of objectivity portrays a more overall understanding of the game, instead of just being a homer for your team. Shows you're either more than a homer and/or a more polished broadcaster.

Good luck!
He's doing PA, not play by play.

I do college play-by-play (got a doubleheader this afternoon), and I have done quite a bit of PA too.  Two things. One: be 100% confident in every word you utter.  Any holding back/restraint will cost you.  Two:  I don't know if they will do the audition at an actual ballpark or in an  office, but if it's at the stadium on the actual PA system, be prepared for a lot of delay and echo of your own voice coming back at you.  It's very easy to get distracted by it.  Do not listen to what's coming back, only to what you are saying live.

You’re not actually calling a game right?  Just introducing players and wishing people a Happy birthday in between innings and things like that?

i’d try Strip Club D.J. shtick.  “Coming up next to the plate it’s Jorge!  Give it up for Jorge everybody!”

Steal the Bob Uecker schtick. Make fun of your athletic and baseball abilities, humor is always good.

Has anyone mentioned developing a catchphrase yet?  If not, do that.  Something like "BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!", but better.

Homerun:  "I'd buy that for a dollar"

Strikeout:  "...and there he goes on the walk of shame"

Popfly:  "There goes a Ritz to shallow left center."

Umpire spotty call: "That umpire shuked that one"

It's minor league.  They don't want competent announcers.  They want shtick.  I honestly think you go full GM.  Be yourself.  If they wanted uptight, baseball announcer, they wouldn't be holding open auditions.
I'm pretty sure they don't want schtick... I've never heard that at any ball bark, only in movies.

GB Bob Uecker. 

i'm not sure people know the difference
PA (over the speaker in the stadium): "Now batting Number 12, Shuke Shovelmouth"

Play by Play (over radio or TV): "Batting cleanup will be #12 Shuke Shovelmouth. Shovelmouth is batting a putrid .045 on the season with 62k's in 70 plate appearances. Speaking of plate appearances, it's Hoppers night at El Margarita this Tuesday night. If you can finish the 48oz 'El Gigante' burrito in 8 minutes, you'll keep the commemorative plate with Shuke Shovelmouth's picture on the bottom, a Hoppers TShirt, and your framed photo displayed forever on El Margarita's Pared de Gordo."

Tecumseh said:
PA (over the speaker in the stadium): "Now batting Number 12, Shuke Shovelmouth"

Play by Play (over radio or TV): "Batting cleanup will be #12 Shuke Shovelmouth. Shovelmouth is batting a putrid .045 on the season with 62k's in 70 plate appearances. Speaking of plate appearances, it's Hoppers night at El Margarita this Tuesday night. If you can finish the 48oz 'El Gigante' burrito in 8 minutes, you'll keep the commemorative plate with Shuke Shovelmouth's picture on the bottom, a Hoppers TShirt, and your framed photo displayed forever on El Margarita's Pared de Gordo."
Shovelmouth leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair. When this guy sneezes, he looks like a party favor.

Dan Lambskin said:
You’re not actually calling a game right?  Just introducing players and wishing people a Happy birthday in between innings and things like that?

i’d try Strip Club D.J. shtick.  “Coming up next to the plate it’s Jorge!  Give it up for Jorge everybody!”
Bonus points if he asks "Where my horny handclappers?!" incessantly.

Users who are viewing this thread