What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help GM Get His Dream Job - PA Announcer for the Hillsboro Hops (1 Viewer)

General Malaise

Footballguy
Fellas and Gals - 

Our local minor league baseball team - The Hillsboro Hops (how great is that name!) - are holding an open audition for their PA Announcer.  This....this is my dream job.  I know, I know, "REACH FOR THE STARS, GM!".  Well, this is what I lay in bed and fantasize about. :oldunsure:

A few years back, I grabbed an open mic and tried out for a local sports talk radio position and, well, I wasn't asked back for a 2nd audition, so my expectations here are low considering my past failures.  But that's where YOU the FFA steps in to help.  Having virtually nothing in the way of experience, I need tips, advise, tricks and as always, schtick greatly appreciated.

The open audition is May 1, so I don't have too much time.  I submitted an application and have been approved to attend along with I'm sure plenty of other schmos like me who share the same silly dream.  I have already printed out the roster and have been practicing Latin American names in the shower, as you do.  But if you - the greatest collective mind on the internet - can help me, well....I'd be in your debt forever.  

Your pal,

GM

Last edited by a moderator:
My non schtick advice would be to bone up on all the current players.  I'm not saying you need to know their life history or stats, but if you knew the names to the current players I'm sure it would go over well.

I just pray they don't have anything "presented by Best Buy" in the audition script.  Could get ugly. 

Just have a good, strong voice, clear diction :-)snicker:), and a good time.

ETA: ...oh...and make sure you get the phrase "I'm shuked" worked into it at least once.

1st shtick idea: Pick one or two vowel or consonant sounds - no more - and pronounce them incorrectly. Not just a little wrong, but a lot wrong. Play it totally straight. NEVER let on that you act'n - make em believe that you don't understand your errors. This has worked for me in the past (e.g. gettin' outta jury duty, gettin' off on insanity pleas, etc.) 

1st serious idea: What are your strengths & weaknesses (other than just bein' GM)? Anyways, you can go 3 routes here:

1) Practice to play to strengths

2) Practice to improve weaknesses

3) Both

I think #1 is the best; as it is the least time consuming for the May deadline.

You already have the "in front of an audience" skills down pat - plus humor, timing & creativity. Use that.

I still wanna post more shtick too - l8r.

1st practice idea: This, you most likely already know - video record yourself while you practice. This is sooooo helpful.

2: Don't rely on your natural voice if you don't want or need to. Experiment with a unique sound. This can often be a deciding factor. If you are unique - in a good way - BINGO!

3: Even tho its an mic job - focus also on your facial expressions. This will be something the audition team will not be able to avoid noticing (unless they only want a tape or stick ya in a booth with no window.)

4) If they have given you a script, practice it - but, don't be afraid to alter from it - most times (if the guy is good - you are) this will impress. BUT - if they appear to be hard asses - stick to the script. Hard to know until you meet audition team.

5) If no script is given - write one yourself. It does not need to be word-for-word. A general outline will do. It all depends on what you prefer & are most comfortable with.

6) If ad-lib/improv is required (i.e. they will give you the scenario at time of audition with no hints of what it will be) - practice on fly. Give yourself scenarios, and hit record & GO! No prep.

OK - I may think of more later.

If you think you'll be one of the front-runners (even if only because few people apply) then play it safe and just be as competent as you can.  Practice.  Get feedback.  Learn the players' names.

If you think you're a longshot (lots of competitors for the job) then be different.  Take risks.  Maybe learn a borderline-creepy level of detail about their players and team history.  Maybe do something distinctive like rolling all your Rs.  Maybe mix song lyrics in with your announcements. 

Anything distinctive is good in a large field...either they love it (and you get the job) or they hate it (and you don't).  Play it safe, and you're on even footing with 20 other people. 

If you think you'll be one of the front-runners (even if only because few people apply) then play it safe and just be as competent as you can.  Practice.  Get feedback.  Learn the players' names.

If you think you're a longshot (lots of competitors for the job) then be different.  Take risks.  Maybe learn a borderline-creepy level of detail about their players and team history.  Maybe do something distinctive like rolling all your Rs.  Maybe mix song lyrics in with your announcements. 

Anything distinctive is good in a large field...either they love it (and you get the job) or they hate it (and you don't).  Play it safe, and you're on even footing with 20 other people. 
👍

My non schtick advice would be to bone up on all the current players.  I'm not saying you need to know their life history or stats, but if you knew the names to the current players I'm sure it would go over well.

Maybe bring a box of Little Debbie and stuff them in your mouth while auditioning?
Combine these two into a single schtick!  Talk up a current player's stats and offer to shove whatever food is nearby into your piehole every time a stat is achieved.

"Jimmy here averages 3 SB every game in this series!  Let's test that stat!  I'll eat an entire <insert food item here> every time he steals a bag tonight!  I'm willing to put my body on the line for this team!  Go Jimmy Go!"

Practice PA Announcer things - all the players names of course... But also:

Write some scenarios and have them ready for things like:

Between Inning Contests:

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the 4th inning entertainment is sponsored by The Hillsboro Police Department. The first fan to swig three bottles of our world famous Hillsboro Hops beer and walk straight down the first base line wins 2 tickets to the policeman's ball. Complete with ride home from Hillsboro's finest after the event.

Great idea!

Mix it up by inning.  1st inning is straight-laced announcer.  2nd inning is with an accent.  3rd inning you only speak in song lyrics.  4th inning you rhyme like Dr. Seuss!  Oh imagine the places you could go!!!

Practice!

Im not a huge baseball fan but here’s what I’d do:

DVR a major league game. 

Make yourself very familiar with both team’s roosters.

Play the game back on mute.  Imagine you’re calling/announcing the game. :shrug:

OH, you’re also FB friends with an FBG that is a local sports announcer guy.  Chris C in GA.  

Practice!

Im not a huge baseball fan but here’s what I’d do:

DVR a major league game. 

Make yourself very familiar with both team’s roosters.

Play the game back on mute.  Imagine you’re calling/announcing the game. :shrug:

OH, you’re also FB friends with an FBG that is a local sports announcer guy.  Chris C in GA.  

good advice, but I was hoping for more Vin Scully shtick

I tried this once.  For the Houston Rockets back in the early 'aughts. Everyone (including myself) thought I would be great at it. I did great in the early rounds and made the finals. I proceeded to get up on stage and was instantly hit by a full blown panic attack for the first and only time in my life.  Cotton-mouth from Hell...couldn't even open my jaw.  I just stood there staring with wide open terrified eyes at the audience.  I went full Kaufman.  Don't do that.

Good luck and go get 'em!

Bone up on the infield fly rule and when it's in effect say, "and that catch is just a formality" as nonchalantly as you can muster.

Always have a fat ump joke ready.

Mimic Harry Carey when he would say, "time for an ice cold BUD-weis-errrrrrr", but substitute the local hops craft beer your team represents---

"time for an ice cold IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-PPPPPPPPPP-YAYYYYY!!!"

Watch a couple episodes of Brockmire and develop your own shtick. Heck just be like you are in here but watch the foul language.

I tried this once.  For the Houston Rockets back in the early 'aughts. Everyone (including myself) thought I would be great at it. I did great in the early rounds and made the finals. I proceeded to get up on stage and was instantly hit by a full blown panic attack for the first and only time in my life.  Cotton-mouth from Hell...couldn't even open my jaw.  I just stood there staring with wide open terrified eyes at the audience.  I went full Kaufman.  Don't do that.

Good luck and go get 'em!
Weird that the made you get up on stage. Is that typical for these types of gigs?

Never PA'd but news anchored and VOed professionally on radio and was in training as a race-caller (no good). Like singing, announcing is notes, tone & swing. I still talk to my television in announcer voice. Your TV almost never makes fun of you. Make every comment that comes into your head to it as though it can't hear you unless you speak announcer voice but try to be as unidiotic as possible doing so. Once you are fluent that way, then you can do your visual work. Read the backs of books, toothpaste tubes, whatever, like you have to sell them to someone with the sound of your voice and keep doing it until you can single-glance 20-syllable portions. And never forget, everything is special in Announcerland. GL -

Pretend you are an ex-MLB'er. Make up an entire history (stats & all) - and in-game, reference your history, stats, anecdotes, etc.

Be sure to criticize the players for makin' mistakes that you never did - and be sure to offer advice on everthing - better if it is bad advice.

Wow, you guys didn't disappoint!  Some great stuff in here.  

Is Brockmeyer the play by play guy?  Think PA announcer is a lot different.  I'm going to watch all the same. 

Thanks friends.  I'll keep this thread updated. 

Fellas and Gals - 

Our local minor league baseball team - The Hillsboro Hops (how great is that name!) - are holding an open audition for their PA Announcer.  This....this is my dream job.  I know, I know, "REACH FOR THE STARS, GM!".  Well, this is what I lay in bed and fantasize about. :oldunsure:

A few years back, I grabbed an open mic and tried out for a local sports talk radio position and, well, I wasn't asked back for a 2nd audition, so my expectations here are low considering my past failures.  But that's where YOU the FFA steps in to help.  Having virtually nothing in the way of experience, I need tips, advise, tricks and as always, schtick greatly appreciated.

The open audition is May 1, so I don't have too much time.  I submitted an application and have been approved to attend along with I'm sure plenty of other schmos like me who share the same silly dream.  I have already printed out the roster and have been practicing Latin American names in the shower, as you do.  But if you - the greatest collective mind on the internet - can help me, well....I'd be in your debt forever.  

Your pal,

GM

Can I show up and watch?   

Dont forget to list your low fantasy baseball scores and overvaluation of bad Padres second basemen over the years.

Is there a large hs near you with a decent baseball team?  Go to a gm and take notes.   Sit down one of the foul.lines and announce things to yourself.

You been listening to me shower or is Amazon recording me?
there's an app, Soakt, that plays unidentified shower sounds picked up by home devices. i've judged contests in 3 categories on there - Tarzan Yells, suicidal moans and erotic gurgles and i'm doing a male Taylor Swift covers contest this weekend. fun for the whole family.

Maybe bring a box of Little Debbie and stuff them in your mouth while auditioning?

Use two different voices and pretend to be both the play-by-play and the color guy.  Make sure they interact with each other regularly.  

Great idea!

Mix it up by inning.  1st inning is straight-laced announcer.  2nd inning is with an accent.  3rd inning you only speak in song lyrics.  4th inning you rhyme like Dr. Seuss!  Oh imagine the places you could go!!!

And make sure to argue enough where fans are thinking that "one of those guys are going to get fired ".
OK, I thought of a way to combine all of these most excellent suggestions.

1) Get the box of Little Debbies or whatever you may prefer

2) Use the two different voices (play-by-play & color) - interact as described - BUT - interact with the Little Debbies (or whatever ya choose) as if they are the other guy. When it time for the Little Debbies ta speak - act like you doin' ventriloquism - but do it bad.

3) Mix up the innings "personality" as Peak describes - and be sure to mix it up for the Little Debbies too - maybe even change the food type each inning.

4) Argue with the Little Debbies, as Leroy describes

5) Once the argument reaches its zenith - BAM - that's when ya stuff em in yer mouth

6) Next inning - new food partner - repeat process - but vary the details.

Post yer practice vids here, so that we can assure you are ready for ya new careeer!!!

Gllllll

there's an app, Soakt, that plays unidentified shower sounds picked up by home devices. i've judged contests in 3 categories on there - Tarzan Yells, suicidal moans and erotic gurgles and i'm doing a male Taylor Swift covers contest this weekend. fun for the whole family.
Just imagine if one knew one of the voices. Good times at the next family reunion.

Users who are viewing this thread