What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me figure out my health insurance situation. Prizes! (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Big changes at my company in terms of our health insurance.  Would be ever so grateful for some advice, which I will actually take, unlike Otis.

Basically, it is unaffordable for the company to provide health insurance directly, so we are going toward a monthly reimbursement system.

We can pick a plan on the marketplace or directly/through a broker.

I have me and my daughter and possibly my spouse (we have gone back and forth over the years depending on her work situation).

How do I get the best rates/coverage?

Are there any brokers/services that are particularly helpful with this?

Any way to use tax free money to pay the premiums?

Other things to exploit and avoid?

@matttyl batsignal

Big changes at my company in terms of our health insurance.  Would be ever so grateful for some advice, which I will actually take, unlike Otis.

Basically, it is unaffordable for the company to provide health insurance directly, so we are going toward a monthly reimbursement system.

We can pick a plan on the marketplace or directly/through a broker.

I have me and my daughter and possibly my spouse (we have gone back and forth over the years depending on her work situation).

How do I get the best rates/coverage?

Are there any brokers/services that are particularly helpful with this?

Any way to use tax free money to pay the premiums?

Other things to exploit and avoid?

@matttyl batsignal
Do have some questions which I'll ask here publicly.  How big of a company (I'm guessing under 50 employees)?  No real way to pay premiums tax free, as this route isn't "employer sponsored health insurance", they'll just give you money (which is taxable income just like salary) to buy whatever you want with it.  Generally speaking, if you were here in Virginia, this would be bad news - the policies available on the exchanges are much worse than those generally available through your employer (network differences mainly, but also are a bit more expensive with higher out of pockets).  As such, if coverage is available through your spouse's employer (thus putting the entire family one plan with one deductible rather than several), that's likely the best way to go.  I'm assuming here, of course, that as a FBG, you're income is high enough to disqualify you from any subsidized coverage on the individual exchange (which I believe your wife's ability to obtain employer sponsored coverage already does).

Sorry for this.

Over 50 employees, but barely.

This is in PA.

I would like to PM you once I get some more info.

My wife is actually my daughter's stepmother, so not sure if we would be able to put my daughter on her insurance (if her insurance is even feasible in other ways).  

Do have some questions which I'll ask here publicly.  How big of a company (I'm guessing under 50 employees)?  No real way to pay premiums tax free, as this route isn't "employer sponsored health insurance", they'll just give you money (which is taxable income just like salary) to buy whatever you want with it.  Generally speaking, if you were here in Virginia, this would be bad news - the policies available on the exchanges are much worse than those generally available through your employer (network differences mainly, but also are a bit more expensive with higher out of pockets).  As such, if coverage is available through your spouse's employer (thus putting the entire family one plan with one deductible rather than several), that's likely the best way to go.  I'm assuming here, of course, that as a FBG, you're income is high enough to disqualify you from any subsidized coverage on the individual exchange (which I believe your wife's ability to obtain employer sponsored coverage already does).

Sorry for this.

My wife is actually my daughter's stepmother, so not sure if we would be able to put my daughter on her insurance (if her insurance is even feasible in other ways). 
Language with most groups...this is actually from my own group:

"Eligible dependents:  Children up to age 26.  Dependent children include natural children, legally adopted children, step-children, and children form whom the employee has been appointed guardian."

More than likely not an issue.  PM me when you get some more details if you have additional questions.  Happy Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread