What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help me figure out this Amazon package scam (1 Viewer)

AcerFC

Footballguy
Since December, we have been getting amazon packages for people we have never heard of. We usually pile them up and bring them to the post office. It stopped for a little while, however this past week we got five. 2 were addressed to Dan Hendrickson, 2 were addressed to some guy who I forget (first time seeing his name) and 1 to the lady who started it all off, Lynn Forcier. 

Now this is where it gets weird. I finally called Amazon yesterday. After speaking with Nick from India, the end result was he didnt know, they will investigate, BUT, we can keep the packages for our inconvenience. 

So being nosey and interested, we opened up the stuff. it is basically garbage like plastic wedding bands for men. 

BUT the odd part is that the two packages for Dan and new guy are THE EXACT SAME. 

What is the game here. TIA, will answer yours if you leave a link

https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/

‘Brushing’ scam hits couple’s doorstep

We’re seeing reports that Amazon customers are the targets of this hot new package delivery scam.

It all started innocently enough for a Massachusetts couple named Michael and Kelly Gallivan when a phone charging hand warmer showed up unannounced last year. The only problem was the Gallivans didn’t order it, CBS News reports.

So the couple called Amazon hoping to return the wayward package. But with no order number and no return address on the rogue delivery, Amazon couldn’t help them.

After that, more packages they didn’t order started showing up once or twice a week. Subsequent shipments included everything from a humidifier, flashlight and Bluetooth speaker to a computer vacuum cleaner and LED lights.

The end goal in many cases is for the seller to be able to pose as a verified purchaser and write a glowing review of their own product. Gaming the reviews system in this way pushes their products up higher in Amazon search results — regardless of whether the product is “good” or not.

(Editor’s note: FakeSpot.com is a free website that will help you double check for any fake reviews.)

Amazon told CBS News that it investigates all customer reports of unsolicited packages like those made by the Gallivans. If vendors or reviewers are found abusing the review system, Amazon will shut their accounts down.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/567488/beware-amazon-packages-you-didnt-order-ecommerce-scam

That brings us to the bad news. If you’re the victim of a brushing scam, that means your personal information—your name and shipping address, at the very least—have likely been compromised. Secondly, many of these “phantom sellers” don’t include a return address or order number on the package. If they were to mail an illegal product such as drugs or weapons to your doorstep, you could find yourself in some legal trouble. The best thing to do is to report unordered merchandise to Amazon to make them aware of the problem.

Since December, we have been getting amazon packages for people we have never heard of. We usually pile them up and bring them to the post office. It stopped for a little while, however this past week we got five. 2 were addressed to Dan Hendrickson, 2 were addressed to some guy who I forget (first time seeing his name) and 1 to the lady who started it all off, Lynn Forcier. 

Now this is where it gets weird. I finally called Amazon yesterday. After speaking with Nick from India, the end result was he didnt know, they will investigate, BUT, we can keep the packages for our inconvenience. 

So being nosey and interested, we opened up the stuff. it is basically garbage like plastic wedding bands for men. 

BUT the odd part is that the two packages for Dan and new guy are THE EXACT SAME. 

What is the game here. TIA, will answer yours if you leave a link
Isn't it a very serious crime to open mail addressed to another person's name?

My wife just asked a question 

Why would the seller not just deliver it to themselves if it brushing

My wife just asked a question 

Why would the seller not just deliver it to themselves if it brushing
My guesses would be:

1. It would only work for a time or two before Amazon would be able to (if they bother to to it) detect that activity and remove those comments.

2. Fakespot presumably looks for reviews sourced from the same "person" for other products by that same company, as well as other  bogus behavior by that "person" and counts that against the review integrity calculation it creates.

Users who are viewing this thread