What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help out a FBG!Need 14 team leagues DOs & Don'ts (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
Did a search but came up with nothing....Lend your strategies and helpful hints..Startup dynasty non-idp

25 rounds 14 teams pts per reception...(1.5 points per TE rec) :popcorn:

Don't know draft position yet..should now soon

What are some lessons you've learned?

Grab a K ASAP. It will throw off everyone's cheat sheet and allow the best players to drop right into your lap.

You know, the best advice I can offer is to make sure you have a solid QB by Rd. 3. In our initial draft (jaWs 2002) we thought it'd be cute to let Brady fall to us later only to be stuck with the starting tandem of Plummer and Fiedler. Ugh.

I was thinking of jumping on a young signal caller early..but not too early(Palmer,Manning)

:popcorn:

All help is appreciated!! No links??

Don't do 14 shots of whiskey immediately prior to the draft to commemorate each of the teams in the league.

Build a team that can win today. Don't get too caught up in player age, especially at positions like RB that have a lot of turnover and injuries.

Otherwise, a lot of it should be similar to preparing for a redraft. Find the value of players in this scoring system and rank them accordingly. Then go through your rankings and look to see what kind of choices you'll likely have at each of your picks, and see what your team looks like depending on which choices you make.

Check out my BADL league at MFL (don't have the league ID since I am out of town right now). Like a 12-team league, RBs are key and more so since there are more teams. You almost have to go RB/RB in the first two rounds. You want RBs that catch the ball. I would also focus on #1 WRs and probably go for a top TE in round 4. So my first five picks would be RB, RB, WR, TE, WR. Normally I don't slot positions prior to a draft because I like to see who will fall to me. But if you don't go RB/RB then you HAVE to get your second RB before the 4th round and you might end up with a rookie or someone who is in a RBBC system. Remember a minimum of 28 picks will be gone before your third pick - it is possible 20 of them will be RBs.

BTW, I would not take a QB before the 7th or 8th round in this format.
I completely disagree with this. I think that the problem with waiting in Dynasty leagues for a QB by committee is that the eligible QB's for QBBC change every year. So your switch off situation may be useless in a year or 2. I would rather draft a top notch QB and wr(smith, Fitz, Lohnson, Boldin) early (first 1-3 rounds) , suck the first year, and get one of the first rookie rb in 2007. I would draft Manning in late 1 without reservation. I would reach on Brady, Palmer or Big Ben. Get someone you really believe in, rather than draft someone and try to convince yourself they are going to be OK.

Bad advice.I'd need to know the scoring for QB (4 or 6 pts per passing TD?) But, having a top 5 QB that is an instant play every week without thinking twice about it is a luxury that is worth having.

QB's are productive long into their mid-late 30's...so if you have a young top QB that can be a staple of your lineup than you are already ahead of the game. It frees yourself up to focus on the positions that have much greater turnover from year to year.

Top QB's get very taken for granted in Dynasty Leagues....they are not sexy, but if you plan on winning a competitive dynasty league you better have a good QB.

Build a team that can win today. Don't get too caught up in player age, especially at positions like RB that have a lot of turnover and injuries.

Otherwise, a lot of it should be similar to preparing for a redraft. Find the value of players in this scoring system and rank them accordingly. Then go through your rankings and look to see what kind of choices you'll likely have at each of your picks, and see what your team looks like depending on which choices you make.
:goodposting: This is a mistake that I have made in the past. Chasing the future = you need to prognosticate longevity in a league that maims players every week. IF you can get three good years out of a player you should be ecstatic. In virtually every Dynasty draft some veterans fall drastically further than you would anticipate. Be patient, but don't pass on players that have been in the league for awhile.

I also agree with those that suggest QB early, but don't go too early. The sixth round is a nice time to start looking. This year in particular there are a ton of qb's in good situations. I do try to draft my second qb before there is a run on them, but always make sure I have a minimum of 2 solid RB's (hopefully 3), a good TE, and one solid WR 1 and a WR 2 with upside prior to going for QB.

I agree and disagree.In redrafts, I fully agree with this. Wait on QBs...almost always!!

In dynasty, however, it is much nicer to have a solid qb since they typically play for many more years than RBs.

With that said though, I would not jump on one early. Think about it this way. 40 passing tds is rare, right? It has only been done four times - Manning, Marino, Marino, and Warner (someone can correct me if I am wrong). Now, if this is a 4pts for a passing td league (as opposed to 6) - then even if you had a qb throw for 40 tds (which as previously stated is beyond rare), overall the difference is not as big as it may seem at first compared to a qb who throws 24.

40 tds - 24 tds = 16 extra for QB1

16 extra tds over the course of 16 regular season games = 1 extra td a game.

In a 4 pt passing td league, that is only an extra 4 fantasy pts a week.

Now personally, having to grab Manning in the first round of a dynasty league just to have the hope of coming close to 40 tds a year is not worth it.

In another light, if you went Manning (rd1), RB (rd2), RB (rd3) - as opposed to RB (rd1), RB (rd 2), QB (rd3) - the two 2nd round RBs cancel each other out. Now what's left is Manning (we'll pretend he will always get 40 tds) and a 3rd round RB -versus- a QB that we will pretend will only get 24 each year and a 1st round RB.

Don't you think that 1st round RB will average well more than 40 extra yards per game over the Rd3 RB? Likewise, don't you also think that the 1st round RB should get several more tds than a 3rd round RB (and those are presumably at 6 pts a piece).

(Did that make sense? It makes sense in my head. Hopefully I explained it alright.)

I was considering taking one of the top 10 qbs...planned on waiting till 6 were gone till I addressed it
When drafting I think it is important to consider worst case scenarios.How many Qbs (or other position) do you expect to be gone by your next pick?

While your Qb ranking may tell you that waiting until 6 Qbs are off the board you need to take into consideration that 2 more teams are drafting than you may be used to. If you wait until 6 teams have a Qb then there are still 8 more that need one. Not just 6 teams. If you are in round 4 and only 4 Qbs have been taken your not neccessarily safe to assume that only 2 more will be taken by your next pick. Because after 3 rounds there are allready 42 players taken compared to 36 in a 12 team league. Other teams will be seeing fewer viable options at Rb and the best Wrs and TEs will allready be gone by then as well.

Its a subtle difference but it grows with each round.

By round 4 your looking at half of the players you would normaly project to be taken in a 12 team league being allready gone.

Once round 7 rolls around it is equivilent to round 8 in a 12 team league.

You need to build your team on a solid foundation. The 1st 3 rounds are key because these will be for the most part the players you win or lose with. Much more so than a 12 team league.

Finding deeper player value is a lot more important as well.

In 12 team leagues I ushualy will be able to deviate from early Rb picks more than in a 14 team league as allready pointed out. This format unless your scoring awards points for receptions leads me to sluff the Wr position more than I would normaly.

A draft that begins RB RB QB is ushualy the strongest begining and the core players you need to be successful and carry your team.

I can be a lot more flexible in a 12 team league.

Bad advice.I'd need to know the scoring for QB (4 or 6 pts per passing TD?) But, having a top 5 QB that is an instant play every week without thinking twice about it is a luxury that is worth having.

QB's are productive long into their mid-late 30's...so if you have a young top QB that can be a staple of your lineup than you are already ahead of the game. It frees yourself up to focus on the positions that have much greater turnover from year to year.

Top QB's get very taken for granted in Dynasty Leagues....they are not sexy, but if you plan on winning a competitive dynasty league you better have a good QB.
I'm fine with this advice. I'm not so sure he was referring to Peyton but probably everyone but him.According to his other post he wanted RB, RB, WR, TE so that plus 2 more before QB(except Peyton) is fine.

14 team highly competitive dynasty league, IDP w/ 5 ppTD passing.

Top teams' QBs for the past 3 years:

Carson Palmer

Mark Brunnell

Matt Hasselbeck

Duante Culpepper

Byron Leftwich

Trent Green

Doug Flutie (yes, seriously)

Jeff Garcia

Marc Bulger

There are better places you can spend high draft picks than at QB, still get a serviceable to very solid guy there, and put up a good record in dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a search but came up with nothing....Lend your strategies and helpful hints..Startup dynasty non-idp

25 rounds 14 teams pts per reception...(1.5 points per TE rec) :popcorn:

Don't know draft position yet..should now soon

What are some lessons you've learned?
You WILL be surprised how fast players are gone.I think some in this thread have already underestimated this.

FFWebmasters is a 14 team league if you wanna look at some past drafts.

I believe there are some spots in the draft that it's best to draft a commodity even if you don't need it. I drafted TEs back to back because I felt one would get me a better WR or QB in trade than was "on the board" then. Similarly but far later, you can consider a 3rd QB or K or D. It's hard to word. Pickings are slim and 14*2 is 28, 32 NFL teams....ask yourself if "this QB" will be good trade bait and the best way to know is to monitor the toher teams' rosters during the draft.

Don't be too concerned with the dynasty/youngster aspect til later in the draft. Many will be fooled and (again) be surprised how fast players are gone. You can always trade for youth when they need your sure fire starter.

I would guess 2 or 3 teams will be able to start 3 WR each week with little thought/worry. The rest will begrudge that 3rd WDIS question every week. You MAY feel the value of NOT having that headache each week outweighs having one extra spot for a young WR with potential.

Summarize:

You WILL be surprised how fast players are gone, others will be too. Plan on it and be very aggressive on draft day

Clearly I disagree with this. I agree you want to have a top quarterback every year but I disagree with the need to take one early at the expense of other more important positions. Using FanEx scoring (which mirrors the WCOFF format) look back over the past three years. The top 10 QBs in each year varies enough that drafting a top QB early is useless.

Culpepper 331.15

Manning, P 326.55

Hasselbeck 306.50

Green 306.45

Brooks 295.60

McNair 294.60

Bulger 290.25

Kitna 281.15

Favre 280.75

Johnson, B 280.55

Culpepper 439.45

Manning, P 419.05

McNabb 350.05

Green 331.35

Plummer 320.05

Favre 315.80

Delhomme 312.60

Brooks 305.50

Bulger 297.20

Brady 286.10

Palmer 321.20

Brady 310.70

Manning, P 294.85

Manning, E 284.10

Hasselbeck 278.35

Bledsoe 276.05

Brees 271.70

Green 269.50

Vick 266.70

Collins 266.25

So of these the only players to make the list all three years are Peyton Manning and Trent Green. To get Manning, you will have to invest at least a second round choice (early) and probably a first rounder.

Now the question comes down to what are you willing to give up to get Manning? Personally I would give up a third rounder (WR/TE) but not a first or second rounder. Last year, Manning was the third rated QB in the league. Yet he was outside the top 12 quarterbacks 5 times in the first 12 weeks (Wk 2, 3, 5, 8-Bye and 12). That is nearly half the time he didn't DESERVE to start in most leagues. Still, for the year, he finished as the third best scoring QB. Take it a step further. If your championship was in week 16, Manning scored 5.80 points. That ranked 35th in the league. On your championship day - your stud QB wasn't good enough to start for ANY of the other 31 games (because of the Colts clinching - I am aware but it doesn't change his numbers in your biggest game). He didn't score at all in week 17.

So what did people give up to get him last year? Guys like LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander and Tiki Barber. Manning was a top three pick in a LOT of leagues because of his record breaking 2004 season.

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/fflnet.../draft_analysis

My point is that you could have gotten Trent Green a LOT later in your drafts and he is still as consistent (though not as good) as Peyton Manning. And every year there are new players emerging.

I play to win THIS year EVERY year. I don't throw a season in the hopes of getting a top player in next year's draft. So say you took Manning last year. Who would you have taken in this year's draft? Reggie Bush? DeAngelo Williams? Joseph Addai? None of them are assured of ANYTHING. Deuce McAllister is not going to sit back and let Bush take his job. Williams may not do more than back Foster up this season. And Addai might be the best of the bunch but so was Carnell Williams last year and what did he end up doing?

The bottom line is that QB is the most injury prone position in the NFL and due to the fact that they DO have longer careers, getting one is easier than getting a top back. Go with the backs and receivers early and take some chances on emerging QBs later. You can almost always get a rookie QB late. So if you can get Matt Leinart in the seventh round of your draft, you probably will already be set at RB, WR, TE and even have a decent starting QB.

In drafts at MFL this year, here is where the QBs are going:

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2006/d...NONKEEPER&TIME=

The thing to note is the AVERAGE Draft Position. Guys like Drew Bledsoe and Trent Green are going between picks 88 and 104. In that very same range you have Jake Plummer, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger. You can wait even longer to get the rookies, Brett Favre, Aaron Brooks and Chris Simms.

There is a reason RBs are king in FFLs. I tried bucking the trend for years and only had ONE season that was successful when I did not take a RB in the first round. That was when I won the CBS Expert's League with Randy Moss as my first round pick. And I was fortunate that it was Brian Westbrook's first breakout season as well or I probably would not have won the league.

The key to winning dynasty leagues is to merge older players with younger players. And getting stars at all positions is impossible IF the other owners in your league have any knowledge at all about the game. To get Manning this year takes about the 10th pick overall. You can do that, but your core will likely be QB/WR rather than RB/RB. And that is very dangerous indeed.

And whether a QB scores 4 points or 6 is really irrelevent. Read Joe's VBD article about value between positions. The key is how much separation there is between the top QBs and the ones you will end up with if you draft them late. That is all that really matters.

Do not trade for 2007 draft picks. Pick to win now.

The problem with building for the future is, if a player has a rough start, his value drops to nil. If you draft McCardell, and he gets off to a so-so start, teams near the top will still trade for him for some FF playoff insurance.

So if you're 0-8, then trade for 2007. You'll have lots of people willing. But don't go into a league, planning to suck for the first 2-3 years while you "build".

As for QBs, there are advantages to locking up that spot. Lets say you get Manning in the 2nd/3rd round. You don't have to draft another QB until the 20th round. You only ever have to keep 2 QBs on the roster. You don't have to draft QBs in the rookie draft.

So the roster spots saved is huge (esp 25). Then get a stud TE, and do the same. Stud TE, one backup. Then never draft QBs/TEs. Focus all your extra roster spots/draft picks on WRs/RBs.

Another thing, 25 roster spots doesn't let you develop a ton of talent. You need starters, and you need solid bye week guys, and solid backups. You can't have 4 rookie RBs on your roster. Aim for 3-4-5 rookies at most. If you have 10 guys under 24 on your roster, you'll be tossing in fliers in the bye week. When you could have Galloway/Moose/Kennsion/McCardell who all make great WRs, and some of them WR2.

If you haven't drafted by now, give some serious thought to convincing the rest of the League to go with an auction format...

...I've posted previously in other threads my opinion that when starting up a Dynasty, or when playing in Leagues with more than 12 teams, an auction is a much more equitable and appropriate way to distribute players. It's my opinion, but the swings in a serpentine over 12 team are just too far apart. Especially Dynasty, where teams are being built from scratch, for the long haul, you need to give each owner a chance to imprint whatever blueprint he chooses to run the present and future of his organization from the ground up by giving him access to every possible player available, and letting the market determine where they wind up, and how that spending affects each team forward...

With a 14-teamer, I'm going to guess that you're going with 2 Divisions of 7 teams each. While some Leagues mix up Divisions from year to year, I'd imagine that the majority of Dynasty Leagues have set Divisions that do not change members from year-to-year. With 6 other teams to fight with year in, year out for a Division Title, or possible wild-card berth, it's my opinion and strategy that you HAVE to keep one eye on how everyone esle in your Division is drafting, and do whatever you have to to keep pace with their strengths, be strong where they are weak, and foil their attempts at gaining depth wherever possible while building your own team. In a big Division, you not only have to keep up with the Jones', you've got to pass most of 'em by to have continued success year in, year out...

Clearly I disagree with this. I agree you want to have a top quarterback every year but I disagree with the need to take one early at the expense of other more important positions. Using FanEx scoring (which mirrors the WCOFF format) look back over the past three years. The top 10 QBs in each year varies enough that drafting a top QB early is useless.

Culpepper 331.15

Manning, P 326.55

Hasselbeck 306.50

Green 306.45

Brooks 295.60

McNair 294.60

Bulger 290.25

Kitna 281.15

Favre 280.75

Johnson, B 280.55

Culpepper 439.45

Manning, P 419.05

McNabb 350.05

Green 331.35

Plummer 320.05

Favre 315.80

Delhomme 312.60

Brooks 305.50

Bulger 297.20

Brady 286.10

Palmer 321.20

Brady 310.70

Manning, P 294.85

Manning, E 284.10

Hasselbeck 278.35

Bledsoe 276.05

Brees 271.70

Green 269.50

Vick 266.70

Collins 266.25

So of these the only players to make the list all three years are Peyton Manning and Trent Green. To get Manning, you will have to invest at least a second round choice (early) and probably a first rounder.

Now the question comes down to what are you willing to give up to get Manning? Personally I would give up a third rounder (WR/TE) but not a first or second rounder. Last year, Manning was the third rated QB in the league. Yet he was outside the top 12 quarterbacks 5 times in the first 12 weeks (Wk 2, 3, 5, 8-Bye and 12). That is nearly half the time he didn't DESERVE to start in most leagues. Still, for the year, he finished as the third best scoring QB. Take it a step further. If your championship was in week 16, Manning scored 5.80 points. That ranked 35th in the league. On your championship day - your stud QB wasn't good enough to start for ANY of the other 31 games (because of the Colts clinching - I am aware but it doesn't change his numbers in your biggest game). He didn't score at all in week 17.

So what did people give up to get him last year? Guys like LaDainian Tomlinson, Shaun Alexander and Tiki Barber. Manning was a top three pick in a LOT of leagues because of his record breaking 2004 season.

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/fflnet.../draft_analysis

My point is that you could have gotten Trent Green a LOT later in your drafts and he is still as consistent (though not as good) as Peyton Manning. And every year there are new players emerging.

I play to win THIS year EVERY year. I don't throw a season in the hopes of getting a top player in next year's draft. So say you took Manning last year. Who would you have taken in this year's draft? Reggie Bush? DeAngelo Williams? Joseph Addai? None of them are assured of ANYTHING. Deuce McAllister is not going to sit back and let Bush take his job. Williams may not do more than back Foster up this season. And Addai might be the best of the bunch but so was Carnell Williams last year and what did he end up doing?

The bottom line is that QB is the most injury prone position in the NFL and due to the fact that they DO have longer careers, getting one is easier than getting a top back. Go with the backs and receivers early and take some chances on emerging QBs later. You can almost always get a rookie QB late. So if you can get Matt Leinart in the seventh round of your draft, you probably will already be set at RB, WR, TE and even have a decent starting QB.

In drafts at MFL this year, here is where the QBs are going:

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2006/d...NONKEEPER&TIME=

The thing to note is the AVERAGE Draft Position. Guys like Drew Bledsoe and Trent Green are going between picks 88 and 104. In that very same range you have Jake Plummer, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger. You can wait even longer to get the rookies, Brett Favre, Aaron Brooks and Chris Simms.

There is a reason RBs are king in FFLs. I tried bucking the trend for years and only had ONE season that was successful when I did not take a RB in the first round. That was when I won the CBS Expert's League with Randy Moss as my first round pick. And I was fortunate that it was Brian Westbrook's first breakout season as well or I probably would not have won the league.

The key to winning dynasty leagues is to merge older players with younger players. And getting stars at all positions is impossible IF the other owners in your league have any knowledge at all about the game. To get Manning this year takes about the 10th pick overall. You can do that, but your core will likely be QB/WR rather than RB/RB. And that is very dangerous indeed.

And whether a QB scores 4 points or 6 is really irrelevent. Read Joe's VBD article about value between positions. The key is how much separation there is between the top QBs and the ones you will end up with if you draft them late. That is all that really matters.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread