What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High Class Worry - Birthday Gifts (1 Viewer)

Keerock

Footballguy
So my wife and kids are asking what I want for my birthday (2 weeks away) and I'm at a loss what to ask for.  I typically get myself what I want/need when I want/need it.  What are some non-clothes, non-sex related ideas for gift suggestions that I might enjoy?

So my wife and kids are asking what I want for my birthday (2 weeks away) and I'm at a loss what to ask for.  I typically get myself what I want/need when I want/need it.  What are some non-clothes, non-sex related ideas for gift suggestions that I might enjoy?

My b-day's in about 2 weeks, too, and I'm just gonna let my wife and kids get me whatever.  If it's nothing but a card, I'll be OK with that.  They got me a lot of great items for Father's Day last month... they should have just saved a few of those things for my b-day!

Meater

Bluetooth meat probe that measures ambient temperature in your grill/smoker as well as meat temperature.   Connects to an app that lets you control your cook and alerts you as you want.   You can customize a particular cook so if you're doing something involving stages/different temps it will alert you at each stage

Works really well.

-fish- said:
Meater

Bluetooth meat probe that measures ambient temperature in your grill/smoker as well as meat temperature.   Connects to an app that lets you control your cook and alerts you as you want.   You can customize a particular cook so if you're doing something involving stages/different temps it will alert you at each stage

Works really well.
Agreed - I love this thing.

I told my kids a while ago to not buy me anything anymore. So my daughter who is 24 will now give me a gift card to some cool bar and we’ll schedule up a drink together. Best present ever.

-fish- said:
Meater

Works really well.
On the list... thanks!

For people who have everything, I tend to prefer a service or something consumable. I would rather have money spent on a really nice meal, bottle of liquor or something like a massage. I don't really want more stuff. Stuff that probably sits in a closet or pantry and hardly gets used. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask 'em to order some top-shelf George's Bank sea scallops from Sayle's on Nantucket.  They'll ship fresh.  And they're a really good treat!  Sorry, the bay scallops aren't in season until November, but I'm sure they have those frozen, too.  https://www.saylesseafood.com/

While we're on the subject of chairs, I was at an outdoor concert last week and saw a rocking camp chair for the first time.  No idea if these are any good, but they look pretty cool.
they are overall real nice... but you have to be a bit careful where you set it as those back legs tend to slide a bit if you are not on a nice level spot. 

Some really nice flavored wood for smoking is probably neat if you're into that kind of BBQ.

I, in a similar spot of first world problem, tend to buy what I want/need when I want/need it. So holidays and gifts I try to make stuff that is a total luxury to me or that I wouldn't get. For example, I really wanted a saucier for cooking, but there was no real reason to buy one over a saucepan that I could justify so I kept it on a gift list.

Golf equipment if you gold is one where there's always some upgrade or accessory that I think would be neat but isn't critical to me. Tons of books out there.

Stuff that's consumable tends to be nice as a gift too, or a treat or dinner at a place I wouldn't normally go.

-fish- said:
Meater

Works really well.
Thanks for this idea (birthday in about a month).  Been looking at the Fireboard but will check out the Meater too.

As I'm allergic to shellfish, I'm sure my wife would take me up on this if I asked for it...
Well, hell, I thought that was a pretty good gift idea...  a special treat, within your dollar range, that you generally wouldn't get every week, or every month, for that matter.  How was I supposed to know you're allergic to shellfish?!?

While we're on the subject of chairs, I was at an outdoor concert last week and saw a rocking camp chair for the first time.  No idea if these are any good, but they look pretty cool.
A walk through our local park on baseball or softball night looks like a commercial for these chairs.  80% of the people have the GCI chairs.

Wife’s birthday - bar crawl and a pedicure. 

my birthday - probably pool party with the same group except we’ll include the kids and a massage (Not Watson style).  Considered renting a pontoon for the day. 

I must admit, I am jealous. I rarely get asked from wife/kids what I want for birthday. Mine is in about 45 days and I will get either a Tshirt of some sort or a pair of slippers. Occasionally I will get a Broncos item that they see on Fanatics (ie desktop calendar, plush toy, pen set, etc.)

OK, here's another food-related gift idea.  I hope you're not allergic to coffee, too.  I toured this coffee farm on the Big Island of Hawaii when I was there a few years ago.  Ask for 1-lb of 100% Kona coffee from https://buddhascup.com/collections/shop.  This stuff is really good coffee.  One pound runs $60, but you can take 10% off now.  But they do charge for shipping, so you're back to $60 for a pound.  

Pretty much in the same camp.  I like to buy the things I want for myself. Time spent together is really the only gift I want.

Last few years my daughters have got tickets to a Tiger or Lions game and we spent the whole day together for my birthday present.

One year they rented an Airbnb in Grand Rapids and we hit a bunch on breweries.   Pretty sure they did it as much for themselves as me.  By the end of the I was paying for everything but that is OK as we had a great time.

Spend day at The Hub Stadium in Novi. Curling, ax throwing, cornhole, foiling. Good food and drink.  Went there last week with a big group and had a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread