What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High upside flyers that could win your league (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Didn't see this thread this year, but it's usually a fun one annually. 

Who are the guys that you are targeting at the end of your draft with huge upside potential that could be league winners?

I'd look at some of the unsettled RB situations.

Indy - Is Mack really the answer? I could see Wilkins or Michael being the starter by the end of the season.

GB - Who's the guy here? Jamaal Williams seems like the favorite. Jones showed flashes last year. I think Mays has as much potential as either, though he's been missing training camp practices with an injury and could even be cut.

Oak - Lynch looks like the favorite, but with his age/mileage, you could take a punt on Chris Warren. Warren has some Michael Bush-like qualities.

Sea - If the Seahawks thought Carson was lead back material, would they have used a first rounder on Penny? Penny isn't really cheap enough to qualify as a flyer, but he seems like the best RB on the roster for a team that loves to run the ball. We saw what Rawls did in this spot a couple year ago and it could be similar.

I don't think Chubb is likely to have redraft value because Hyde/Johnson are decent players, but you could do worse if he's there in the late rounds for you and you want a high-ceiling RB to stash.

Gallup.  So far I've been able to get him in almost every single mock, as he's going undrafted otherwise (10 & 12 team leagues).  Might start creeping up as he shows more in preseason but he looks like a pretty polished receiver for only a rookie, he's dirt cheap, and somebody has to be the WR1 in Dallas...it's not going to be Beasley...

Josh Gordon. 

Look at the receivers being drafted around his ADP, none of them can do what he is capable of doing. Not one. WR#1 overall ability at a 3rd/4th round price.

That's a league winner right there ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a rush but the guys I’m targeting late are John Brown, Keelan Cole and Ryan Grant. 2’s on teams that like to throw the ball. Also agree with Wilkins in Indy, have been scooping him up where I can. Maybe not league winners but could be single week winners if they get hot. 

Gallup.  So far I've been able to get him in almost every single mock, as he's going undrafted otherwise (10 & 12 team leagues).  Might start creeping up as he shows more in preseason but he looks like a pretty polished receiver for only a rookie, he's dirt cheap, and somebody has to be the WR1 in Dallas...it's not going to be Beasley...
Allen Hurns?  

I'll take a chance on:

DJ Moore - I tend to avoid rookies in redraft unless they fall further than expected, but Cam can throw the rock, Moore seems like he can take advantage. Olsen will probably be there most targeted and McCaffery will get his, but Moore can easily be the top WR.

Taywan Taylor - picking him up almost everywhere. Most will look to Corey Davis but I'll take TT a lot later. 

I would say Matt Brieda, but he's injured too. Still, possibly if/when McKinnon doesn't live up to the hype and looks like a time share RB.

Jared Goff

Matt Ryan

Sony Michel

Matt Breida

James Conner

Spencer ware

Marquise Goodwin 

Tyler Lockett 

John brown

Michael Gallup 

Christian Kirk

Taywan Taylor 

George kittle 

Austin Hooper

That team could win some games

In a rush but the guys I’m targeting late are John Brown, Keelan Cole and Ryan Grant. 2’s on teams that like to throw the ball. Also agree with Wilkins in Indy, have been scooping him up where I can. Maybe not league winners but could be single week winners if they get hot. 
I like all 3 of these guys this year, but Cole and Brown can't be league winners. Neither one of those teams (Ravens and Jags) are going to throw that much and game scripts won't favor them either. Bad qbs, maybe the 2 best defenses in the league, and great running games.

Shelton Gibson he's a backup WR for Philly. Dude is a big play receiver who's made some crazy contested catches. Jeffery possibly to the PUP? What's going on with Agholor's injury? This dude just needs to see the field and he'll put up some solid numbers with Went slinging it. Got him in all my dynasty leagues and on my watchlist in redraft

Great topic. I believe good teams are drafted in the first five to seven rounds but championship teams augment that with a lottery ticket late in the draft or in free agency. My contributions: Aaron Jones, Derek Carr, Jimmy Graham (not sure of ADP for Graham and Carr), James Washington. (Edit: Graham not a flier—can’t believe his ADP is so high but I like him this year)

I'd look at some of the unsettled RB situations.

Indy - Is Mack really the answer? I could see Wilkins or Michael being the starter by the end of the season.

GB - Who's the guy here? Jamaal Williams seems like the favorite. Jones showed flashes last year. I think Mays has as much potential as either, though he's been missing training camp practices with an injury and could even be cut.

Oak - Lynch looks like the favorite, but with his age/mileage, you could take a punt on Chris Warren. Warren has some Michael Bush-like qualities.

Sea - If the Seahawks thought Carson was lead back material, would they have used a first rounder on Penny? Penny isn't really cheap enough to qualify as a flyer, but he seems like the best RB on the roster for a team that loves to run the ball. We saw what Rawls did in this spot a couple year ago and it could be similar.

I don't think Chubb is likely to have redraft value because Hyde/Johnson are decent players, but you could do worse if he's there in the late rounds for you and you want a high-ceiling RB to stash.
What has Penny done to make you think he is the best back on the roster? Because he was a 1st round pick? He hasn't done squat yet.

John Ross - Elite talent.  Doubters have his ADP depressed.  Playing across AJ green.  Bengals want to look smart for drafting him at 1.9 last year.  He will get his chances.  

Dede Westbrook - might be the most gifted wr on the roster.  Flying under the radar in redraft.  Bottles trusts him.  Cream rises.  

Nyheim Hynes - could get lots of work as a wr in an Andrew luck led offense.  Potential there.   

Jordan reed - a guy who has the ability to be the TE1 this year, with a qb who made Vernon Davis and Travis Kelcz into household names?  And can be had in the 8th round and beyond?  As platoon TE with potential to be my every week started, Sign me up!

Jax D - the one defense I might be willing to draft in single digit rounds.  The advantage they give you every week at def/st is similar to what Gronk gives you at te.  No other defense even comes close. 

Matt Ryan - can be had in double digit rounds, and has potential to be top 5 QB.

Tyler Eifert - looks healthy, and we know he is a TD machine when healthy.  Can be had in the late rounds of drafts as your TE 2 and could become your te1 quickly.  

I like all 3 of these guys this year, but Cole and Brown can't be league winners. Neither one of those teams (Ravens and Jags) are going to throw that much and game scripts won't favor them either. Bad qbs, maybe the 2 best defenses in the league, and great running games.
I get your point and don't really disagree, but Cole's weeks 13-15 last year as your wr3 or 4 could easily have won some games for you.

For the Bears I really like the value that Anthony Miller and Trey Burton offer.  Here are some other players I like:

Allen Hurns

Kerryon Johnson

Corey Clement

George Kittle

Robby Anderson

There are a lot of QBs being drafted very late that could finish in the top 3 and help win your league.  Huge reason to wait on QB.

W. Gallman - the way they plan to use Barkley is good.but he's hurt.they're cautious with him...Gallman looks good in preseason.yeah it's just preseason..but..

C. Ridley is going to be slick this year.

I agree that Mack won't cut it as the starter in Indy..

one of the rookie QBs will put together a nice season - J. Allen, Rosen, or Mayfield.

Doug Martin - beat writers salivating over just how good he looks in practices and camp..Warren is a nice story, he's a 3rd stringer.forget about him. Lynch is 60 yrs old and running in reverse.Martin has juice left.lots of it.his ADP is what, 17th round ?? take a flyer on him.you've got the best o-line in football blocking for him

For the Bears I really like the value that Anthony Miller and Trey Burton offer.  Here are some other players I like:

Allen Hurns

Kerryon Johnson

Corey Clement

George Kittle

Robby Anderson

There are a lot of QBs being drafted very late that could finish in the top 3 and help win your league.  Huge reason to wait on QB.
Agree with Clement.  Ajayi's ADP (PPR) is 4th round, Clement's 11th+ and will be involved in Philly's RBBC as the 3rd down back and more.  Possibly the GL back as well.  Great value deep in the draft.

I think a lot of us have different definitions of league winners.

When I think of league winners, I think of guys like Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, Cam Newton his rookie year, Gronk his 2nd year, Peyton Hillis. Guys that come out of no where and are bonafide studs that year. 

Guys like Brown, Cole, Clement, Kittle, Goodwin are value guys because they are already known or have low adps. 

James Washington certainly looked the part.  He could be a better version of Martavis Bryant, and if Brown or JuJu went down sky is the limit.

James Washington caught 5-of-7 targets for 114 yards and a pair of touchdowns in Thursday's preseason game against the Packers.

One of Washington's scores was a fierce contested catch in the end zone. The explosive night comes three days after Ben Roethlisberger said Washington was "getting better every day." The second-round rookie is setting himself up well to claim the "Martavis Bryant role" in the Steelers' offense.

-OZ- said:
Allen Hurns?  

I'll take a chance on:

DJ Moore - I tend to avoid rookies in redraft unless they fall further than expected, but Cam can throw the rock, Moore seems like he can take advantage. Olsen will probably be there most targeted and McCaffery will get his, but Moore can easily be the top WR.

Taywan Taylor - picking him up almost everywhere. Most will look to Corey Davis but I'll take TT a lot later. 

I would say Matt Brieda, but he's injured too. Still, possibly if/when McKinnon doesn't live up to the hype and looks like a time share RB.
I would agree with this depending on where he's going, but he may be priced out of the "flier" territory now.  I am of the mind he could be a better FF scorer than Davis had he just been drafted by a team that didn't use a top 5 pick on ... Davis.

Golloday is my other crush.  Gunslinger QB that can get the ball anywhere on the field and other WR that are trustworthy but not elite, if Stafford fixates on the kid he could end up blowing the lid off.

irish eyes said:
What has Penny done to make you think he is the best back on the roster? Because he was a 1st round pick? He hasn't done squat yet.
What has Barkley done to make people think he is the best in New York?

No rookies have "proven" anything yet. You have to assess their chances based on what they showed in college, where they were picked, and what the rest of the roster looks like. I like the way Penny looked in the first game before he got injured. It's only a few touches, but he looked solid. He was a first round pick. First round RBs historically have a pretty good hit rate. Moreover, I think the Seahawks taking him that high suggests that they liked him a lot and that they weren't thrilled with their other backs. Carson looks serviceable, but if you're handicapping this situation then I think you'd favor Penny to leapfrog him by October or November.

Dr. Octopus said:
Now you’ve done it.
Yea, I can't really believe Christine Michael is still in the NFL since he's been jettisoned by so many teams, but here we are. He's on yet another team with scraps at RB, where you can make an argument that he's the most gifted RB on the roster. Mack looks decent. He's like a bigger, less dynamic version of LeSean McCoy. I think Wilkins has a chance as well. Late pick, over-aged, and mediocre combine numbers, but he has a good combination of power and agility.

I think any one of those three can be the starter by the end of the season. I'd be inclined to avoid the situation, but if Wilkins and Michael were there in the really late rounds or on waivers then I'd consider kicking the tires.

I would agree with this depending on where he's going, but he may be priced out of the "flier" territory now.  I am of the mind he could be a better FF scorer than Davis had he just been drafted by a team that didn't use a top 5 pick on ... Davis.
Yeah he might have risen a lot in the last week or so. 

Fwiw, just a month ago I took him as the 252nd player in a dynasty startup. (IDP)

I'd add Courtland Sutton to this list.   

Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas are 31 years old, and this young fella has just been sensational in practice and now in games.  

He abused Josh Norman in the matchup vs. the Redskins.  The future is NOW... 

I'd add Courtland Sutton to this list.   

Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas are 31 years old, and this young fella has just been sensational in practice and now in games.  

He abused Josh Norman in the matchup vs. the Redskins.  The future is NOW... 
If Sanders or DT get hurt, Sutton could be pretty damn good. 

Not all necessarily fliers...

James Conner if Bell goes down.

Godwin looks legit.

Burton could be the guy in Chicago.

Lamar Jackson if he gets his shot...

Patterson, especially in leagues with long TD bonuses.

Golladay

Josh Gordon. 

Look at the receivers being drafted around his ADP, none of them can do what he is capable of doing. Not one. WR#1 overall ability at a 3rd/4th round price.

That's a league winner right there ladies and gentlemen.
I stand by this assessment.  Got him as my WR2/3 with pick 6.12 and immediately followed that up with Jimmy Smith at 07.01 (WR/TE are combined in this league) in my 12 team, ppr, super-flex redraft yesterday.  The WRs available around then were Tate, Robinson, Marvin, Jordy, Edleman, Hogan, Cobb, Sanders etc. I'll take Gordon's upside over any of those guys six days per week and twice on Sunday.

I stand by this assessment.  Got him as my WR2/3 with pick 6.12 and immediately followed that up with Jimmy Smith at 07.01 (WR/TE are combined in this league) in my 12 team, ppr, super-flex redraft yesterday.  The WRs available around then were Tate, Robinson, Marvin, Jordy, Edleman, Hogan, Cobb, Sanders etc. I'll take Gordon's upside over any of those guys six days per week and twice on Sunday.
Jimmy Smith still plays? Wow

I'd take marvin over Gordon. Dude was a stud last year and he's only getting better. 

I'll take Hogan as one of only 3 WRs on a the roster for Brady to throw to.

Are you calling Cole a 2 because his QB is "trash" or....?

Not sure exactly what the OP means by "fliers that could win your league". As I read it, "flier" means someone in the later rounds, and "win your league" means more than just "outperforms ADP". So, looking at last year, Gurley wasn't a flier and Engram wasn't a league winner, but Kamara (and arguably Wentz and JuJu) were both. Obviously, this is highly subjective.

Based on those criteria, I think the lower-tier rookie RBs -- Penny, Chubb, Michel -- are the most obvious candidates. Among QBs, I think Mayfield and Jackson are the most likely. Not sure if I see any WRs making that kind of impact as rookies.

RB: Peyton Barber if he is really considered a flier.

WR: Marquise Goodwin should get his share of throws from Jimmy G.

TE: Trey Burton will be the security blanket for Trubisky.

QB: Mitchell Trubisky has Allen Robinson, Burton, and Anthony Miller.

Live in San Diego. Watched Penny's entire career. He's beyond special. Don't worry about his weight or broken digit. He's gonna open a lot of eyes.

QB Goff - I think he's 35+ TD capable

WR Enunwa - #2 WR for Jets behind a Robby Anderson who's constantly in trouble

TE Vannett - Baldwin dinged, big TE, can catch

RB  Jeremy Hill - forgotten until recently, the Patriots resurrect players sometimes .... Burkhead hurt, Michel hurt .... opportunity is there

Jimmy Smith still plays? Wow

I'd take marvin over Gordon. Dude was a stud last year and he's only getting better. 
Yeah, didn't you know? Guppy.

Graham, but you probably got that already. Jones is the only one I seriously considered but I think we have seen his ceiling (or very close to it), Golladay seems to have a similar game and I really think they are going to run more this year. I also think Gordon is better as an athlete and WR. HOWEVER Jones QB situation is light years better than anything happening in Cleveland this year.

I'll take Hogan as one of only 3 WRs on a the roster for Brady to throw to.
Did Gronk die? And Edelman comes back in week 5. And Hogan has still never put it all together for any length of time. Moss was an exception. NE doesn't produce WRs with Gordon type upside. The good ones are all volume plays (Weller, Edelman...and that's  it). And typically they limit each other. Cooks produced fine but ultimately was a huge disappointment relative to where we drafted him. Sure they can cross into WR1 territory in PPR leagues but NE is the Gronk show.

Gordon is a force of nature and you can't say that about any WR in NE.

FTR fully healthy with no suspension I would have take Edelman over Gordon because he is reliable. 

Users who are viewing this thread