What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

History books and podcasts (1 Viewer)

Other podcasts I like are

Another one is The History of England by David Crowther. Covers a long period of time, starting from the early Anglo Saxon period (from memory) doesn't get too bogged down, and has some of the dry English Monty Python-y humour. Puts the boot into the French regularly as well, which most of the world enjoys.

The Ancient World is one that covers prehistory up until about 500BC, so pre Greek and Roman eras which are less common topics to hear about. He's completed that section, and is now telling the family history of some tangential type characters through early Imperial Rome, which is more interesting than it sounds.

History of England is really good. Unfortunately Crowther appears to be losing interest in it. Hope he continues because we're coming up on the Wars of the Roses which I'd like to hear him talk about.

Recently started on the Ancient World on your recommendation and its been pretty good. It really takes these guys 15-20 podcasts to get the hang of things but I've learned a lot.

Okay, here's a project I am working on - cross-referencing History of Rome style podcasts in the Byzantine era.

I'm trying to figure out what years are covered by each episode of:

• History of Rome
  • History of Byzantium
  • Bulgarian History
  • History of Islam
  • History of the Crusades
  • History of the Mongols
  • History of the Ottoman Empire
  • Russian Rulers History
  • Norman Centuries
I started to include the Papacy one, but the guy's voice drove me insane.  I don't think I'll work in the Franks or Germany - too tangential and I can't find the right type of podcast.

My goal is to listen to these at the proper time.  So, when Muawiya is besieging Constantinople, I want to listen to it from the Byzantine, Arab, and Bulgarian perspectives to see it from different angles.

I'm getting there - if people are interested, I can throw the spreadsheet up somewhere.

Some problems I've run into:

• Bulgarian History has terrible episode descriptions - hard to figure out the dates.  I have it through episode 14, though, which is where Byzantine is at right now.
  • Russian has huge gaps.  Oh well.
  • Islam is way behind - still on Muhammad.
  • I can't find a decent Persian history podcast - the History of Iran one is dormant.  
  • I didn't think of this before starting - I wish I had.  I might have to go back and listen to Norman Centuries again at the proper times when they interact with the Byzantines.

A lot of good Presidential podcasts going these days... I assume most are aware of Washington Post's Presidential, and I mentioned Slate's Whistlestop (with John Dickerson) earlier. I'm also listening to the DC Improv's The Other Side podcast, which is getting a bit less buzz, but is currently running a series on Presidential humor.  It has some pretty interesting guests, such as talking to a Futurama writer about Nixon, a Parks & Rec writer about William Henry Harrison, and joke writers for Clinton and Obama.

Just saw this thread, love this stuff. Carlin got me started on podcasts and it was revolutionary for me. His Blueprint For Armageddon is a must listen for anyone interested in WWI.

A couple of podcasts I ran across that I thought were phenomenal but probably don't get a lot of attention because they are short and only about 10 episodes:

Caliphate. A Times reporter investigates who we are fighting in the war on terror and isolates on a ISIS recruit that went to Syria, fought there and then came back to Canada, Abu Huzayfah.

Martyrmade Podcast w/Darryl Cooper. Specifically, Fear & Loathing in the New Jerusalem. A very Carlinesque narration of the history that gave rise to Britain sectioning off part of Palestine for the Jews after WWII. Fascinating history.

Users who are viewing this thread