What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Holmgren leaves Seattle in style (1 Viewer)

Frenchy Fuqua

Footballguy
I always thought Holmgren was a bit overrated as a coach but I'm suprised he received this reception at his farewell game in Seattle.

Tacoma, WA - December 24, 2008

Snowball barrage sullies Holmgren’s farewell moment

DAVE BOLING; THE NEWS TRIBUNE Published: December 23rd, 2008 12:05 AM

And what a nice going-away present it would have been if Mike Holmgren had gotten nailed by any one of the dozens of snowballs cast in his direction and had to give his farewell press conference with a bloody nose.

I know it’s a bit trite to have to remind everybody, but he could have had “an eye put out.”

How would that have looked? Maybe a broken nose, a shiner, a fat lip. Worse would be the indignity.

There are many issues of greater significance than the snowball barrage from a group of fans. And at just about any other game it might not have set me off enough to expend precious and dwindling newsprint.

But Sunday was a special day. This was a legitimate poignant moment. This was a feel-good day in a year of persistent athletic gloom. This was the final time Holmgren would coach the Seahawks at Qwest Field.

Everybody knew he had taken the team to a Super Bowl and to a level of division dominance. And despite the losing season marred by a plague of injuries, Holmgren coached the team up for a nice win over the New York Jets.

As the snow fell and deepened the piles already heaped around the stadium, signs popped up: “We love you Mike.”

Clearly, it was a time to honor a coach whose contributions to the community have extended outside the ballpark. The first person I saw when I walked into Qwest Field on Sunday was Holmgren’s wife, Kathy, collecting money to aid Congolese refugees.

The entire family spends time and money helping feed and clothe the homeless of the area.

And after the win, after he shared some emotional moments with his players on the sidelines, and with former player/friend Brett Favre at midfield, Holmgren took a lap of the field to wave at the fans and thank the folks in the stands.

At this point, some donkeys decided it would be great fun to thank him for his efforts on the field and in the community by chuckin’ a barrage of snowballs his way.

Holmgren is used to fans throwing things out of the stands in his direction. Usually it’s harsh comments about his employment of the draw play on third-and-long.

But snowballs are different. I can hear the offenders now: Oh, it’s just a little bunch of fluffy snow … who’s that going to hurt? Wa-wa. Would a little snow hurt the big guy?

Well, yes, it certainly could have.

The most vivid example came in 1995 at the Meadowlands, where the notably genteel and respectful fans of the New York Giants nailed a member of the San Diego Chargers’ staff with an iceball that knocked him out cold.

After a couple of warnings over the loudspeaker, the pelting continued. Eventually, 175 fans were ejected and stadium authorities used closed-circuit cameras to identify as many violators as possible and threaten them with the revocation of season tickets.

I am certain scholars would analyze this type of behavior as an example of the frustration of the common man over his diminishing influence in a world controlled by governmental and corporate entities. The societally disenfranchised then seek release in anonymous and pseudo-violent acts of snowball terrorism.

But I tend to think it’s mostly just a buncha guys who got liquored up and started acting like hyenas.

It wasn’t just Holmgren. The security people and cops had to dodge heavy incoming ordnance through much of the fourth quarter. They’ve been freezing out there, too. They don’t deserve that.

I’d be tempted to suggest that the snowballs were coming from Jets fans who were taking out their frustrations over the loss on the stadium workers, Seahawks fans, and, finally, Holmgren. But surely there were way too many for that.

Besides, Jets players and staff took a heavy shelling on their way toward the tunnel. At one point, one of the Jets players broke off an iceberg-sized chunk and heaved it into the stands in retaliation.

See how these things escalate?

Holmgren graciously kidded about it after the game, acting as if his security people – like the president’s Secret Service – had dived into the line of fire to take “snowballs” meant to strike him.

Monday, he downplayed it again, saying that much snow was a novelty around here, and that he was just thankful nobody got hurt.

If it didn’t bother him, I guess it shouldn’t bother me. But even though it’s a small thing, it seemed so disrespectful, so out of concert with the moment.

I’m just glad he didn’t get hit. It would have given everybody a black eye.

dave.boling@thenewstribune.com">dave.boling@thenewstribune.com

Holmgren graciously kidded about it after the game, acting as if his security people – like the president’s Secret Service – had dived into the line of fire to take “snowballs” meant to strike him.

Monday, he downplayed it again, saying that much snow was a novelty around here, and that he was just thankful nobody got hurt.

If it didn’t bother him, I guess it shouldn’t bother me. But even though it’s a small thing, it seemed so disrespectful, so out of concert with the moment.
This is such a non-story. Boling is trying way too hard to make a story where one doesn't exist. He's working overtime to represent outrage when Holmgren is laughing off the actions of a person or two.

It's not such a big deal. Seattle rarely gets snow, so the fans were just having a little fun. Or at least, like my mother said, it's fun until someone gets an eye poked out.

This is such a non-story. Boling is trying way too hard to make a story where one doesn't exist. He's working overtime to represent outrage when Holmgren is laughing off the actions of a person or two.
Welcome to the life of the the typical Eagles' fan. It's always fun when the whole lot gets tainted by the actions of a few jerks. Be happy Seattle isn't getting national press for this incident.

I always thought Holmgren was a bit overrated as a coach
You consider a head coach with a career winning % of .607, who molded 3 of the best QBs of all time (Montana, Young & Favre), who made the Playoffs 12 out of 17 years, and won 3 Championship games and 1 Super Bowl as overrated? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the life of the the typical Eagles' fan. It's always fun when the whole lot gets tainted by the actions of a few jerks. Be happy Seattle isn't getting national press for this incident.
:goodposting: Example #463 of the national double-standard. This would be the lead on SportsCenter for the next two days if it happened in Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:

:lmao: Example #463 of the national double-standard. This would be the lead on SportsCenter for the next two days if it happened in Philly.
I'm sure TO was somehow involved with throwing the snowballs. I'm looking forward to Ed Werder's take.

So, the fans were just having a little fun? What? Bad enough some idiots would do this, but then to be excused for it... :bag: :shrug:

You consider a head coach with a career winning % of .607, who molded 3 of the best QBs of all time (Montana, Young & Favre), who made the Playoffs 12 out of 17 years, and won 3 Championship games and 1 Super Bowl as overrated? :goodposting:
That fat, bloated, crybaby ******* had nothing to do with Montana. He didnt get to SF until 87.I agree with the post above, he's overrated and road off of Favre's stardom.

It's not such a big deal. Seattle rarely gets snow, so the fans were just having a little fun. Or at least, like my mother said, it's fun until someone gets an eye poked out.
Just imagine if those scamps in Philly throw some snowballs at Andy. That would be a hoot. Gotta love the double standard.

You consider a head coach with a career winning % of .607, who molded 3 of the best QBs of all time (Montana, Young & Favre), who made the Playoffs 12 out of 17 years, and won 3 Championship games and 1 Super Bowl as overrated? :porked:
That fat, bloated, crybaby ******* had nothing to do with Montana. He didnt get to SF until 87.
:rolleyes: He was the 49ers QB coach from '86-'88 and the OC from '89-'91. While Montana was certainly established, he had plenty to do with Young's success.

I agree with the post above, he's overrated and road off of Favre's stardom.
:porked: Good one.

He was a great coach but hes been over the hill for a few years. His playcalling is so timid its painful to watch.

wadegarrett said:
Frenchy Fuqua said:
You consider a head coach with a career winning % of .607, who molded 3 of the best QBs of all time (Montana, Young & Favre), who made the Playoffs 12 out of 17 years, and won 3 Championship games and 1 Super Bowl as overrated? :lmao:
:unsure: Mike Holmgren has NFL Hall of Fame credentials as a head coach. The numbers clearly support that. I think that there are 18 head coaches currently in the Hall of fame and Holmgren ranks more than favourably against at least half of them. I think he even outranks Vince Lombardi in division title winning percentage.

wadegarrett said:
Frenchy Fuqua said:
You consider a head coach with a career winning % of .607, who molded 3 of the best QBs of all time (Montana, Young & Favre), who made the Playoffs 12 out of 17 years, and won 3 Championship games and 1 Super Bowl as overrated? :eek:
:no:

Users who are viewing this thread