What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Theater speaker/sub replacement - now also receiver (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
Recently I had water in my basement and as a result I'm in the market for some new floorstanding speakers and a subwoofer.  Insurance is giving me $700 towards the floorstanding speakers, and $520 towards a sub, replacing Klipsch stuff.  My center channel is still an old Klipsch R-35, I think.  Hoping you guys can help me out with a few things:

1. Does it matter if I match the brands between center speaker and front ones?

2. I am also currently running a Mirage S10 subwoofer - would it make sense to run dual subs or just get a new good one and put that one aside? (I haven't had anybody ever perceive that that S10 wasn't putting out enough bass, for what it's worth.)

3. Any suggestions on what would be the best speakers to get for the fronts in that range?

4. I've also asked the adjuster if I can use all the money (subs/fronts) in whatever way I want rather than in the amounts listed.  If I get the green light there, what would be the best option for me?

5. Are there good Black Friday/Christmas specials I should wait for while figuring out what to do?  I feel like Best Buy usually runs Klipsch deals around that time but could be wrong.

Recently I had water in my basement and as a result I'm in the market for some new floorstanding speakers and a subwoofer.  Insurance is giving me $700 towards the floorstanding speakers, and $520 towards a sub, replacing Klipsch stuff.  My center channel is still an old Klipsch R-35, I think.  Hoping you guys can help me out with a few things:

1. Does it matter if I match the brands between center speaker and front ones?

2. I am also currently running a Mirage S10 subwoofer - would it make sense to run dual subs or just get a new good one and put that one aside? (I haven't had anybody ever perceive that that S10 wasn't putting out enough bass, for what it's worth.)

3. Any suggestions on what would be the best speakers to get for the fronts in that range?

4. I've also asked the adjuster if I can use all the money (subs/fronts) in whatever way I want rather than in the amounts listed.  If I get the green light there, what would be the best option for me?

5. Are there good Black Friday/Christmas specials I should wait for while figuring out what to do?  I feel like Best Buy usually runs Klipsch deals around that time but could be wrong.
1. Yes, it makes a difference.

2. Dual subs are great but can be overkill especially for smaller rooms.

3. I'd look at Klipsch, the RP-280F looks similar to the RF-35 line.

4. I'd still look at Klipsch so you can match the center.

5. Not sure honestly.

Adjuster said no go on combining the dollar amounts unless there is an actual package deal.  Can't imagine I'll find a package on just fronts and a sub, so I'm stuck at $700/$500 for the amounts.  Any recommended subwoofers in that budget?

WhatDoIKnow said:
Huh?  Aren't they just giving you a check for an amount?  ETA:  That's how our insurance handled items in a flooded basement 20 years ago.
The way it works is they are giving us cash value (actually, already gave us) cash value for what remains of items after depreciation.  But anything that we want to replace that was depreciated, they'll reimburse us up to the scheduled amount as long as we provide an invoice showing we bought it.  Since these speakers were pretty old, they are mostly depreciated already.

How would you choose between those different models?  This isn't really for music listening - some TV (pretty much sports), 80% of usage is movies, and a little bit of video games (for the kids).
SVS is very highly rated.  I'd go that route personally.  For me, I like ported boxes (PB) for movies/games, and SB (sealed) for music, so for your use, I'd go with the PB.  I went sealed in-wall in my current theater, and I'm missing the ported sound.

SVS is very highly rated.  I'd go that route personally.  For me, I like ported boxes (PB) for movies/games, and SB (sealed) for music, so for your use, I'd go with the PB.  I went sealed in-wall in my current theater, and I'm missing the ported sound.
I'd agree with Nick on the ported vs sealed, the only time sealed works well IMO is if there is a passive radiator. In regards to which to go with I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd probably lean towards the SVS PB 1000. Both have very similar performance and specs, the SVS has a better warranty, free shipping and 45 in home trial.

OK, so I went with SVS PB-2000 (paid $180 out of pocket for it), and got Klipsch RP-280F for the L/R replacements (fully covered by insurance).  One was damaged in shipping so the replacement for that should arrive tomorrow.  Then once that is hooked up I guess I have to run the equalizer thingy on my receiver again to set it all up right.  Correct?  Hopefully I can find that microphone wherever the hell it is.  

Do you guys think there is any concern that my center channel is going to be overpowered now or should I be good?  I can get the RP-450C on ebay today (refurb) for about $360 delivered from OneCall which isn't too shabby of a price.  Or, if I hold out I can wait until I get enough incentive points from my company to get the newer model of that speaker (RP-504C) for free.  I just have no idea how long it might be until I get those points.  

You definitely need to rerun your setup.

Rerunning your setup will help with the center but I would probably upgrade imo.

You definitely need to rerun your setup.

Rerunning your setup will help with the center but I would probably upgrade imo.
Thanks, figured I might need to do that.  Any insight on the 450C vs 504C?  

Also, see you are in South Jersey ... want to buy my old floorstanding speakers and subwoofer?  ?

Thanks, figured I might need to do that.  Any insight on the 450C vs 504C?  

Also, see you are in South Jersey ... want to buy my old floorstanding speakers and subwoofer?  ?
Like I said earlier, the most important piece of L/C/R is the mid and tweeters are as close to identical as possible. This helps with sound transition.

Like I said earlier, the most important piece of L/C/R is the mid and tweeters are as close to identical as possible. This helps with sound transition.
With that being the case, it would seem that going with the "older" 450C would be better as that was the same generation as the L/R; the 504C is the newest generation and sound might be off.  Thanks!

OK, so the fronts and sub have been replaced, the setup has been rerun, and things seem good.  Even the center isn't drowned out by the others so that upgrade can wait for now.  However, I'm going to be upgrading the projector in the next year and that will cause me to need replace my old receiver.  I'm willing to spend anywhere up to $1000, but want to make sure I'm getting the best value for the money and future proofing as much as I can in the budget.  One of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade is that they old receiver doesn't even have HDMI inputs, and I want to be able to funnel my cable, the kid's XBOX, and whatever else I need through one system without degrading the signal.  Any projector I get now will be HDMI, obviously (my current one has component and DVI) so I want to streamline this and maintain quality.  Assume that I will be getting a 4k projector, if that matters.

The speakers I'm running are pretty much shown in the posts above, so not sure how much that matters in figuring out the right receiver.  Any recommendations on what I should be looking for as I scour deals?  Anything to specifically avoid?

OK, so the fronts and sub have been replaced, the setup has been rerun, and things seem good.  Even the center isn't drowned out by the others so that upgrade can wait for now.  However, I'm going to be upgrading the projector in the next year and that will cause me to need replace my old receiver.  I'm willing to spend anywhere up to $1000, but want to make sure I'm getting the best value for the money and future proofing as much as I can in the budget.  One of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade is that they old receiver doesn't even have HDMI inputs, and I want to be able to funnel my cable, the kid's XBOX, and whatever else I need through one system without degrading the signal.  Any projector I get now will be HDMI, obviously (my current one has component and DVI) so I want to streamline this and maintain quality.  Assume that I will be getting a 4k projector, if that matters.

The speakers I'm running are pretty much shown in the posts above, so not sure how much that matters in figuring out the right receiver.  Any recommendations on what I should be looking for as I scour deals?  Anything to specifically avoid?
IMO nothing can touch Denon in the under 1k price point. I'd recommend the AVR-X3500H. If you are ok with certified refurbished you can grab an AVR-X5200W for a great deal.

Another vote for Denon.  It's what I have but mine would be considered a upper mid tier.  I think it was 500. Of course that was a long time ago so it's probably low now :)

I’m looking at upgrading my receiver as about to get a new 4K TV. Present receiver is an Onkyo RT—160 and have been happy with it.  You guys still think Denon over Onkyo?

Need to support a 7.2 setup with high fronts. Mostly TV, sports and movie watching.  Hoping around $500. 

If the TV comes with a soundbar, is this needed? 
Eh is it “needed”...no.  But also a soundbar isn’t needed either as the tv has speakers. It’s just a matter of how much better you want the sound to be. A soundbar is better than tv speakers, and a receiver and individual speakers are better than a soundbar. 

Anyone ever purchased used speakers from CL?  If so what do you look for on used speaker?  Sorry for hijack. 

Anything at all I should be cautious about with buying this receiver? Or is it pretty good to go?
It’s the exact one I got and perfect condition. Electronics without moving parts is all good as certified refurbished.   Actually from some research you can get even better than new because they are being so focused on making sure all in great working condition.  There may just be a minor surface scratch or something (none that I could see on mine) but for $500 savings totally worth it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever purchased used speakers from CL?  If so what do you look for on used speaker?  Sorry for hijack. 
I have not but I have sold some on CL. I'd would look at the driver surrounds and make sure they are in good condition. Make sure that they will hook them up so you can listen to them as well.

Are these high end used speakers?

I have not but I have sold some on CL. I'd would look at the driver surrounds and make sure they are in good condition. Make sure that they will hook them up so you can listen to them as well.

Are these high end used speakers?
Yes.   I’m just worried about fakes. Don’t know enough to confidently tell the difference. 

Last edited by a moderator:
need new surrounds.  Have Paradigm Studio series front.  Budget is probably $1500 for the pair. Looks like Paradigm discontinued the Studio series, so all brand suggestions welcome.

joffer said:
need new surrounds.  Have Paradigm Studio series front.  Budget is probably $1500 for the pair. Looks like Paradigm discontinued the Studio series, so all brand suggestions welcome.
Paradigm still has the monitor series, I'd probably look at those instead. The Studios would have fit in between the Prestige and Premier, so you could look at those as well.

How would you choose between those different models? This isn't really for music listening - some TV (pretty much sports), 80% of usage is movies, and a little bit of video games (for the kids).
SVS is very highly rated. I'd go that route personally. For me, I like ported boxes (PB) for movies/games, and SB (sealed) for music, so for your use, I'd go with the PB. I went sealed in-wall in my current theater, and I'm missing the ported sound.
I'm thinking of going dual subs in my rec room. Really want SVS, maybe the PB-2000 Pros, but they are pricey. Hoping to score one or two on Craigslist.

How would you choose between those different models? This isn't really for music listening - some TV (pretty much sports), 80% of usage is movies, and a little bit of video games (for the kids).
SVS is very highly rated. I'd go that route personally. For me, I like ported boxes (PB) for movies/games, and SB (sealed) for music, so for your use, I'd go with the PB. I went sealed in-wall in my current theater, and I'm missing the ported sound.
I'm thinking of going dual subs in my rec room. Really want SVS, maybe the PB-2000 Pros, but they are pricey. Hoping to score one or two on Craigslist.

They have a deal going on right now where you can get 5% off from their outlet store if you go dual:

My entire 7.1 theater is SVS. Very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread