What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Honestly, do yall really think Chesta Taylor (1 Viewer)

I really do believe they might gamble and draft Deangelo if he is there. Or even Maroney...But your guess is better than mine at this point...I do believe he will be in some sort of rbbc in some sort of fashion....

Thoughts??

Im sure they signed him to a 4 yr, $14m + nearly $6m in guarantees to be a backup to a 1st rounder.

Youre likely scenario will be the Vikings taking a bigger RB with one of their 2nd or more likely 3rd rounders to compliment Taylor.

Im sure they signed him to a 4 yr, $14m + nearly $6m in guarantees to be a backup to a 1st rounder.

Youre likely scenario will be the Vikings taking a bigger RB with one of their 2nd or more likely 3rd rounders to compliment Taylor.
Thats NOT alot of money for a starting rb, that would break down to 2mil per year if he got a 6mil signing bonus....if thats the case he made close to that as a backup in Baltimore...Just really really wondering....I may be looking at things to hard.

Im sure they signed him to a 4 yr, $14m  + nearly $6m in guarantees to be a backup to a 1st rounder.

Thats NOT alot of money for a starting rb, that would break down to 2mil per year if he got a 6mil signing bonus....if thats the case he made close to that as a backup in Baltimore...Just really really wondering....I may be looking at things to hard.
:no: $6mil guaranteed? Please show me any backup or part-time RB that has signed for such a large amount to be a backup.

Absolutely he's the starter, and I love his prospects for success this year.

Bennett is gone, SOD will be gone, Fason is nothing special and Moe is in legal trouble (not that he's a huge factor, anyway).... no more cluttered backfield, and no more Tice.

Taylor could yield the same production as some 1st rounders at a cheaper price.

Absolutely he's the starter, and I love his prospects for success this year.

Bennett is gone, SOD will be gone, Fason is nothing special and Moe is in legal trouble (not that he's a huge factor, anyway).... no more cluttered backfield, and no more Tice.

Taylor could yield the same production as some 1st rounders at a cheaper price.
Yeah, things are falling in line for them and may not be RBBC for a change.Mewelde has looked good at times but not always and he's young. He's a decent backup.

:no: $6mil guaranteed? Please show me any backup or part-time RB that has signed for such a large amount to be a backup.
This is the first year of the new CBA with a much larger cap amount. I don't think it is really that high for a part-time RB with the new CBA, and the fact that Minny had boat loads of cap space just waiting to be used.My guess is that if the RB they covet in the 1st round falls to them, they will take him, but are not banking on it as they have Taylor for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

doesn't 20million divided by 4yrs= 5mil per year?? :confused:

I think its 14 million with 6 million of it being guaranteed.

Im sure they signed him to a 4 yr, $14m  + nearly $6m in guarantees to be a backup to a 1st rounder.

It is. And its not backloaded at all. This years base is 600k, and every year afterwards is a reasonable base salary for a starting runner. Only way the Vikes draft a 1st round RB is if someone falls drastically. And with the help they need at LB, DB, RT, TE, QB, and WR, dont expect that to happen.

Barring injury, Chester Taylor is ABSOLUTELY the #1 RB in Minnesota both before and after the draft. Unless Reggie Bush falls to #17.....LOL. I like DeAngelo Williams a lot myself, but the Vikings brought in Taylor to be the feature back in the new offense....then got Steve Hutchinson and FB Tony Richardson to block for him. I think he could even be in the RB12-RB15 territory this year, which is why I worked my tail off to get him in dynasty leagues LAST season!

Seriously, Taylor is the guy in Minnesota unless things change. No question in my mind right now.

It is. And its not backloaded at all. This years base is 600k, and every year afterwards is a reasonable base salary for a starting runner. Only way the Vikes draft a 1st round RB is if someone falls drastically. And with the help they need at LB, DB, RT, TE, QB, and WR, dont expect that to happen.
Ok what other starting rb make 600k this upcoming year....that ridiculous...He is worth more than that IMO... :(

Seriously, Taylor is the guy in Minnesota unless things change. No question in my mind right now.
:lmao: Seriously, Domanick Davis is the guy in Houston unless things change. No question in my mind.

Ok what other starting rb make 600k this upcoming year....that ridiculous...He is worth more than that IMO... :(
Im guessing we arent at all familiar with the NFL salary cap or how contracts are structured, correct?

:lmao: Seriously, Domanick Davis is the guy in Houston unless things change. No question in my mind.
:rolleyes: Yes, but there isn't a 99.9% chance of the Vikings landing Bush, while only some type of off-the-field discretion, MONSTER trade offer for the 1.01 or some type of Vince Young love-fest is going to keep Bush from joining Mr. Davis in the Texans backfield in about three weeks.... :statestheobvious:

Im guessing we arent at all familiar with the NFL salary cap or how contracts are structured, correct?
Honesty cant say i do know too much about it.....but from what most other starting make i would think this is kinda low for a guy they want to be the MAN. I know Ricky makes less than this....But your opinions on this is well recieved...so what he makes alot? :eek:

they need plenty of other positions
This is pretty much all that had to be said. The Vikes have so many issues to answer that I can't see any possible way that they take a RB with either of their first two picks.

This is pretty much all that had to be said. The Vikes have so many issues to answer that I can't see any possible way that they take a RB with either of their first two picks.
Not sure I agree with the "so many issues to answer" statement, as other than QB and LB, I'm not sure I'm seeing it :vikingshomer:, but I DO agree that it is highly doubtful that the Vikings will be going RB until their second #2 (and only if that were a "value" pick) or either #3 pick....ESPECIALLY if they decide to give Onterrio Smith another shot.You got a line on a lot more holes on the Vikings starting 22 than I do? Personally, I just hope they draft "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", etc. the whole stinkin' draft..... :popcorn:

Honesty cant say i do know too much about it.....but from what most other starting make i would think this is kinda low for a guy they want to be the MAN. I know Ricky makes less than this....But your opinions on this is well recieved...so what he makes alot? :eek:
Im not sure I even know how ot respond to this. I would expect someone with absolutely no knowledge of anything about money or football to think this, but obviously you found this board, so we know that isnt true.Base salaries are always lowest in the first year of a contract, and have absolutely nothing to do with how much the team values him.

Not sure I agree with the "so many issues to answer" statement, as other than QB and LB, I'm not sure I'm seeing it :vikingshomer:, but I DO agree that it is highly doubtful that the Vikings will be going RB until their second #2 (and only if that were a "value" pick) or either #3 pick....ESPECIALLY if they decide to give Onterrio Smith another shot.You got a line on a lot more holes on the Vikings starting 22 than I do? Personally, I just hope they draft "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", etc. the whole stinkin' draft.....

:popcorn:
What CBs on the roster are you excited about other than Antoine Winfield? Dont even say Fred Smoot. Whos going to play RT? Mike Rosenthal? Is Jermaine Wiggins really the answer at TE? Who is going to play S when Tank Williams gets hurt?

Not sure I agree with the "so many issues to answer" statement, as other than QB and LB, I'm not sure I'm seeing it :vikingshomer:, but I DO agree that it is highly doubtful that the Vikings will be going RB until their second #2 (and only if that were a "value" pick) or either #3 pick....ESPECIALLY if they decide to give Onterrio Smith another shot.You got a line on a lot more holes on the Vikings starting 22 than I do? Personally, I just hope they draft "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", "BPA", etc. the whole stinkin' draft.....

I was very high on their defense going into 2005 given all the free agents they brought on board. I don't know if it's team chemistry or not, but there can be some improvements there. I think their offensive line CAN be a lot better than it showed last year. Better coaching or just one more player is the question, but they have a nice young backbone to work off of.

I like the Vikes but it just seems like they have many more positions to address other than the RB position within their first couple of picks since they paid out that much for Chester. That said, I'm not a huge C. Taylor fan but in 1 ppr leagues he should get a huge boost because he'll be used quite a bit in that way.

Im not sure I even know how ot respond to this. I would expect someone with absolutely no knowledge of anything about money or football to think this, but obviously you found this board, so we know that isnt true.Base salaries are always lowest in the first year of a contract, and have absolutely nothing to do with how much the team values him.
Look, do you have anything more than an attitude to back this up? Like maybe, how many other starting running backs in the NFL make LESS than CT this season? That might be a place for you to start showing off your massive football intellect.

What CBs on the roster are you excited about other than Antoine Winfield? Dont even say Fred Smoot. Whos going to play RT? Mike Rosenthal? Is Jermaine Wiggins really the answer at TE? Who is going to play S when Tank Williams gets hurt?
Alrighty, I'll play:1. CB. Fred SMOOOOOOO (er wait, you said I couldn't say a certain player's name)2. RT. I assume that'll work itself out between the guys on the roster (along with some shuffling that will occur with the addition of Hutchinson, the addition of Whittle for depth and 1-2 draft picks).3. Yes. Wiggins, Kleinsasser in the "slot" on occasion, and MAYBE a mid-round draft pick or lesser-known commodity for BLOCKING help post-June 1 or camp cuts.4. Hmm......let me see......Willie Offord?! :shrug: :popcorn:

Holy smokes. I agree with Diesel. Good posting D! :thumbup:

3 things to consider.

1. Childress has been a fan of Taylor since he was in college (go to website, they mention a story about Childress and Taylor's college coach being buddies), and if I'm not wrong I think Childress hired some of Taylor's old college coaches to work on his staff.

2. When the deal was annouched, Taylor answered the media with comments of "It'll be nice being the main guy instead of a backup" and "I came here to get playing time" - these are not conjector but actual quotes from the guy (go to the Vikings website).

3. Childress gushed about how Taylor can ran and catch extremely well and how he's capable of getting the ball 20-25 times a game - pretty good indorsement from the head coach.

Remember Tice is gone and there's a new regime so the old way of looking at Minny's backfield is totally different. Taylor did well last year in spot duty for Lewis and out performed him, but how do you bench Jamal (2000 yard season) Lewis? The only guy I was really worried about stealing carries from Taylor was Onterio (who they just released). Taylor will have about 1200 yards and 8-11 TDs (not great, but not bad either). His receiving totals should be around 300-500.

Wow, to be honest this has been a great thread. I was originally pegging him in the late second, but I really think his stock will move up throughout the summer especially in 1 ppr leagues. The draft could clarify things a bit, but I don't expect them to do anything that directly affects their running game within their first two picks. I could be wrong though.

I was very high on their defense going into 2005 given all the free agents they brought on board. I don't know if it's team chemistry or not, but there can be some improvements there. I think their offensive line CAN be a lot better than it showed last year. Better coaching or just one more player is the question, but they have a nice young backbone to work off of. I like the Vikes but it just seems like they have many more positions to address other than the RB position within their first couple of picks since they paid out that much for Chester. That said, I'm not a huge C. Taylor fan but in 1 ppr leagues he should get a huge boost because he'll be used quite a bit in that way.
I hear you.....BELIEVE me. 2005 was a h-u-g-e let-down for everyone here in Minnesota who roots for the Purple! Honestly though, you could have given me the exact same roster if the team had only made one change this off-season: HEAD COACH, and I would have had a much more optimistic outlook on the 2006 season. Tice was a 200-pound boat anchor around the Vikings' necks, as his "one of the guys" coaching style and lack of player discipline made this team a laughing-stock. The jury is still out on Childress, but I like what I am seeing/hearing down at Winter Park so far. Losing Brian Williams, Culpepper and Burleson hurts, but if the Vikings can address the QB position early in the draft and bolster their LB corps....sprinkling in CB, OL and DL prospects in the draft, they should at least be a contender for a wildcard berth in 2006. My :2cents:

I agree that the direction a team makes can show a huge difference. Also, a coach's influence on an entire organization can be underrated ( at least in the case of Minny. A lot of times, I think it is very overrated).

The Vikes have tons of issues and RB (given the Chester Taylor signing) is not one of them imo.

Look, do you have anything more than an attitude to back this up? Like maybe, how many other starting running backs in the NFL make LESS than CT this season? That might be a place for you to start showing off your massive football intellect.
Years of actually paying attention to the NFL and knowing the CBA and salary cap in and out?

Years of actually paying attention to the NFL and knowing the CBA and salary cap in and out?
I'll take that as a "no" then. . .The guy asked a good question--not for some holier-than-thou "guess you don't know NFL contracts" schtick. :rolleyes:

Look, do you have anything more than an attitude to back this up? Like maybe, how many other starting running backs in the NFL make LESS than CT this season?  That might be a place for you to start showing off your massive football intellect.
I'll take that as a "no" then. . .The guy asked a good question--not for some holier-than-thou "guess you don't know NFL contracts" schtick. :rolleyes:
Maybe if everyone involved wasn't in a pissing contest, more information and better content would be shared.

I do see all indications that Chester Taylor will be given every opportunity to be the feature Rb for the Vikings.

With a lot of emphasis on fortifying the Oline as well as signing Richardson to play FB which adds blocking ability to what they allready have in Kliensasser I think Chester has been really set up for success.

I think Chester has shown that he can be a versitile feature Rb in the NFL. There is just one naging question that follows him.

Can he stay healthy?

Thomas Jones had shown a lot of promise when the Bears drafted Benson too. Many seem to think this was a wasted pick by the Bears. But the fact remains that they did not feel comfortable with Jones being able to stay healthy through a whole season. Which he never did until after they drafted Benson who pushed him (Jones still missed a couple games).

I see the Vikings being open minded throughout the draft and I expect them to pick BPA. If D. Williams is still on the board when the Vikings pick @ 17 I certainly think they might take him despite thier willingness to give Chester Taylor all the carries he can manage. Williams is an awful good Rb and player that the Vikings may not be willing to pass on no matter how much they like Chester. And then we have a compitition once again.

But I doubt Williams will be available when the Vikings pick. I do not see Maroney being in the same level of talent as Williams and I can see them passing on him or any other Rb besides williams for another player with pick 17.

If Williams is available and the Vikings pick him I see the move being good for the Vikings as a team but a mess for FF owners of these 2 players. Sooner or later I think Williams would beat Chester out for the lead Rb role.

sure whatever, but you've taken this thread completely off topic. i don't think THE UNDERCOVER BROTHA's main concern was about RB salaries ... he's trying to get discussion going about chesta's chances this year and half the thread is an argument about something irrelevant that you keep fueling!

To that point, I think it's Chester's job to lose and I think he'll keep it long term. He'll be the starter for this year and if he performs, the Vikes won't worry about RB for years (barring injury). If he struggles though, I'd bet the Vikes look for a RB in the middle rounds of the draft next year. This would give Taylor some young competition, but still give him the chance to be the starter.

Basically, I think he's on a shorter leash than other more established RBs because he hasn't proved himself in a Vikes uniform yet. I'm thinking that was Undercover's point in the original post.

Look, do you have anything more than an attitude to back this up? Like maybe, how many other starting running backs in the NFL make LESS than CT this season?  That might be a place for you to start showing off your massive football intellect.
Maybe if everyone involved wasn't in a pissing contest, more information and better content would be shared.
:goodposting:

That was my point.....actually im doing my start up dynasty draft and he looks interesting to m but i keep getting a red flag in my head....I dunno know why but something scares me about him and with nothing but 3rd tier rb's left he is probaly as good as most thats left...but whos to say he's any better than lets say....Tatum Bell or D.Foster...they both are at the top of the depth charts right now but that could change quickly come late this month.

That was my point.....actually im doing my start up dynasty draft and he looks interesting to m but i keep getting a red flag in my head....I dunno know why but something scares me about him and with nothing but 3rd tier rb's left he is probaly as good as most thats left...but whos to say he's any better than lets say....Tatum Bell or D.Foster...they both are at the top of the depth charts right now but that could change quickly come late this month.
I'm pretty high on CT, I traded FWP and my 5.10 pick for him. We've seen what he can do as a backup but now he has a chance to start, he'll do fine. He has a coach that's going to give him a chance to produce and that's exactly what you want. A player of skill with an oppurtunity to produce. It doesn't get any better than that.

These are the type of players sharks jump on, right before the hype starts............jump on it.

childress is also a guy who loved to use a RBBC format in philly..Westbrook caught oodles of passes yet ran for very few yards as a 'featured' back.

I think you'll see the same from Taylor this year, as Childress will use him and Fason and Moore as a three headed monster...

Taylor will get the bulk of the Vikings carries in '06, but I don't see any more than 275 carries, 1,200 yards, and maybe 6-8 tds..but I'd look at this as the extreme high end of Taylor's possible stats in '06...With the other Rb's on the roster (Fason, Moore) and a potential draft pick used for yet another RB, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor get only 200 carries..

he has never been a starter in the NFL and that has to be a big factor here..can he carry the full workload as a featured back?

just not sure Childress has it in him to give the ball to a RB 20-25 times per game..he didn't do that in Philly, but was that his fault , or was it Reid's philosophy?

Taylor could be this year's overhyped pick just like Lamont Jordan was last year's.

This is getting a little silly.Try rereading thread, comprehending it's content, then speak to it - don't react to what you think is going on.

Crib notes in case you lack time...

T.U.B. poses a question suggesting Chester Taylor is not the #1 in Minny or is in Minny's plans to be the #1.

diesel (and others) have pined that his contract does not pay him like a backup.

Based on T.U.B.'s commentary, it is clear he is not familiar with how contracts in the NFL work.

diesel points this out and T.U.B. agrees that he is not knowledgable on contracts, but goes on to say he is sure $600,000 base is too low for a starting RB.

commentary - how can he have it both ways - he either knows contracts or does not know contracts.

diesel, after hearing T.U.B. does not know contract very well, explains that $600,000 in the first year of a contract with signing bonuses and guaranteed money is reasonable.

pine jumps in with a 'who are you' to just say it is what it is without proof.

diesel, losing patience, snaps back at pine and says, years of following football and commen sense.

pine, not to be outdone, pisses back suggesting diesel has no clue since he can not offer proof.

commentary - At least T.U.B. lack of information appears innocent, pine comes accross as an ###. What should diesel do? Write a thesis in this thread on the inner workings of nfl contracts in the salary cap era? Everyone who follows football and retains what they read knows that the first year of an NFL contract is lower than the remaining year. This is because signing bonus/roster bonuses are paid up-front (player gets money in hand) and the lower base makes the contract fit under the cap. Commen sense stuff, if you ask me. Base Salaries are only part of the equation when determing what a contract is telling you about how a player is valued by it's team.

thayman and radballs try to insert respect and decancy back into the thread.

gferrell also jumps in thinking he knows what the thread is about, but failed to absorb the first post properly.

The thread is questioning whether CT is the man in Minny which lead to a discussion about whether his contract and salary could help clear up the answer to that question. It's very well on topic. Considering T.U.B. started the post and was replying primarily to diesel, I think it goes to prove T.U.B. felt the exchange was what he was looking for.

To summarize, T.U.B. does not think CT is reliable - he is concerned.

The following think CT is a good value for 2006:

- diesel

- RaidierNation

- Bri

- datonn

- radball (does not think Minny with be drafting a replacement RB this year)

- EnglishTeacher

- Buttmonkey

- Biabreakable

- Baracuda

- BigTex

FridayFrenzy was questioned CT's value because of his assertion that salary cap increase as a result of the new CBA suddenly changes the way contracts are structured.

nygiants56 questions CT's value as he thinks Childress will duplicate Philly in Minny when it has been said time and again on this board and in press articles that Childress loves the run. The lack of run in Philly's offense was Reid, not Childress.

pinequick came in to piss at diesel.

gferrell20 thought he was fighting the good fight on getting the post back on topic, but read the post wrong. If it was off-topic for any reason, that was pine's fault.

I just traded Dunn/ Brad Johnson/ Darren Sproles for Chestor Taylor/ Jason Cambell/ Eric Moulds/ and a 2nd round rookie pick. :thumbup:

childress is also a guy who loved to use a RBBC format in philly..Westbrook caught oodles of passes yet ran for very few yards as a 'featured' back.

I think you'll see the same from Taylor this year, as Childress will use him and Fason and Moore as a three headed monster...
The one gripe I have with the very talented Westbrook is there's little toughness to his running(not sure how to word that). I love how he can pick up the blitz, blast outside and scoot past the D, catch a pass and outrun a speedy CB etc but IMO every RB should be able to put their head down and get some tough yards. Taylor can. So was Childress designing his offense around his player(Westbrook) or does he expect a Lamar Gordon type backup to come in and bust through the line? I think he was making the O for Westbrook and we'll see him use Taylor a smidge differently. How I'm not so sure. What do you think?Fason, Shelton, and Arrington have played like busts. They could have just been rooks all nervous and adjusting to the NFL game and be fine in 06. They could be busts though.

Personally, I think each team's gotta use them sparingly at first. Get their feet wet and their confidence up. Fason and Shelton maybe can be the short yardage back. I thought Arrington could be a good 3rd down back right away, still do.

In Dynasty, I'd be trading the 3 2nd year RBs if I could.

What RB on Philly was getting Westbrook's carries? Perhaps Westbrook didn't run the ball very much, but it wasn't because of a RBBC it was due more to offensive philosphy. Westbrook was the faeture back in Philly and very few other backs received carries when he was healthy.

I think you'll see the same from  Taylor this year, as Childress will use him and Fason and Moore as a three headed monster...
The one gripe I have with the very talented Westbrook is there's little toughness to his running(not sure how to word that). I love how he can pick up the blitz, blast outside and scoot past the D, catch a pass and outrun a speedy CB etc but IMO every RB should be able to put their head down and get some tough yards. Taylor can.
I am surprised not more people are questioing Chester's toughness. From what I can remember, the guy is always on the injury report and has only four 20+ carry games and two 100+ yard rushing games over the past 4 years.

I think you'll see the same from  Taylor this year, as Childress will use him and Fason and Moore as a three headed monster...
The one gripe I have with the very talented Westbrook is there's little toughness to his running(not sure how to word that). I love how he can pick up the blitz, blast outside and scoot past the D, catch a pass and outrun a speedy CB etc but IMO every RB should be able to put their head down and get some tough yards. Taylor can.
I am surprised not more people are questioing Chester's toughness. From what I can remember, the guy is always on the injury report and has only four 20+ carry games and two 100+ yard rushing games over the past 4 years.
:confused: You must be thinking of someone else. Taylor had a sprained ankle for a couple of weeks last year, but what other injuries are you referring to?

04/09 13:26 Vikings: Smith will be welcomed back THE NEWSRunning back Onterrio Smith will be welcomed back to the Vikings after a one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, according to team owner Zygi Wilf. "The way this coaching staff responds to players, this would be the right environment for him to move his career forward," Wilf told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
With SOD seemingly back in the RB mix, how does this factor into Chester being the man?

04/09 13:26 Vikings: Smith will be welcomed back

THE NEWS

Running back Onterrio Smith will be welcomed back to the Vikings after a one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, according to team owner Zygi Wilf. "The way this coaching staff responds to players, this would be the right environment for him to move his career forward," Wilf told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
With SOD seemingly back in the RB mix, how does this factor into Chester being the man?
That is a bit misleading. The actual article from pioneer press.

Smith update: As is, Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said he is comfortable with his depth at running back.

"If we had to go to battle tomorrow, we'd be ready," Bevell said, mentioning starter Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu.

But Vikings owner Zygi Wilf remained confident that the Vikings could bring back another player: Onterrio Smith.

Currently fulfilling a yearlong suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy, Smith is eligible for reinstatement next month, and Wilf said the Vikings could be inclined to give him another opportunity.

"The way this coaching staff responds to players, this would be the right environment for him to move his career forward," Wilf said. "But all that's subject to his reinstatement."

Wilf also said it would be important for the Vikings to feel comfortable with Smith, both mentally and physically, before inviting him back to the team.

Smith has more career touchdowns (nine) than Moore (four) and Taylor (seven).
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/14298686.htm

:confused: You must be thinking of someone else. Taylor had a sprained ankle for a couple of weeks last year, but what other injuries are you referring to?
Unfortunately I don't have time to comb through the injury report for every week last year but it seems that he was listed as questionable a lot. I may be wrong.This was important to note because he has usually been in the backup role. I might expect to see a starting RB there a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread