What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hope (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
From Axios today. 

Think about it: Most people you meet in everyday life — at work, in the neighborhood — are decent and normal. Even nice. But hit Twitter or watch the news, and you'd think we were all nuts and nasty. 

Why it matters: The rising power and prominence of the nation's loudest, meanest voices obscures what most of us personally experience: Most people are sane and generous — and too busy to tweet. 

Reality check: It turns out, you're right. We dug into the data and found that, in fact, most Americans are friendly, donate time or money, and would help you shovel your snow. They are busy, normal and mostly silent.

These aren't the people with big Twitter followings or cable-news contracts — and they don't try to pick fights at school board meetings.

So the people who get the clicks and the coverage distort our true reality. 

Three stats we find reassuring:

75% of people in the U.S. never tweet.

On an average weeknight in January, just 1% of U.S. adults watched primetime Fox News (2.2 million). 0.5% tuned into MSNBC (1.15 million).

Nearly three times more Americans (56%) donated to charities during the pandemic than typically give money to politicians and parties (21%).

The bottom line: Every current trend suggests politics will get more toxic before it normalizes. But the silent majority gives us hope beyond the nuttiness.

I’ve found that cutting out cable news entirely, treating politics like the curse that it is, and focusing on the things I can change, I feel better.
Same.  To be honest once Biden won, I just lost all interest.  Like I was just exhausted so I stopped watching and reading about most of this stuff.  I’ve focused on cleaning up my finances instead and I’m almost there. Next up, I gotta lose 30 lbs (again). 

Same.  To be honest once Biden won, I just lost all interest.  Like I was just exhausted so I stopped watching and reading about most of this stuff.  I’ve focused on cleaning up my finances instead and I’m almost there. Next up, I gotta lose 30 lbs (again). 
I cut it out way back when Trump first got in, and it was great, until this place pulled me back in. Of course, now I’m only here to get updates on the war in Ukraine and dunk on Putin, which never gets old.

Join us in the otis fad diet thread.  A bunch of us getting back on the diet wagon myself included. 

I disagree with the premise. Most people aren't decent and normal. Sure they are decent and normal to friends and family. And they can put on a front for a little bit. But overall, most people suck. They care only about themselves and a few people around them. 
That's not suck.   That's how humans have survived for a million years.     

Now they suck?   People who say that seem to be mad because people won't do what "they" think they should.

I get that people here don't have Twitter. 

To be fair though, I'm afraid you can substitute "footballguys political forum" for Twitter in the article.  We're not avoiding what the article is talking about by just not having Twitter.

My Edit:

Think about it: Most people you meet in everyday life — at work, in the neighborhood — are decent and normal. Even nice. But visit the PSF or watch the news, and you'd think we were all nuts and nasty. 
It's a call for us all to better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the media I follow. 

Does the media you follow always name the race of the person in a crime if they are white, then just name the crime if a black commits it?

CNN and MSNBC always  say "White police officer shoots black motorist"  If a black police officer does the shooting it is "Police officer shoots motorist"

Same with all the Asian beatings in No Cal and NY.  Never mentioned race if a black person did the beatings.

Why is that? 

Does the media you follow always name the race of the person in a crime if they are white, then just name the crime if a black commits it?

CNN and MSNBC always  say "White police officer shoots black motorist"  If a black police officer does the shooting it is "Police officer shoots motorist"

Same with all the Asian beatings in No Cal and NY.  Never mentioned race if a black person did the beatings.

Why is that? 

Because it isn't relevant as the attacks have not been shown to be racially motivated, looking at the overall numbers and not isolated cases that got attention in the media.

Because it isn't relevant as the attacks have not been shown to be racially motivated, looking at the overall numbers and not isolated cases that got attention in the media.

Then it should not be relevant in any case. 

If two cops are involved in the same type of shootings even if justified, they only mention race if a white cop is involved. 

You know it is true but it is not your or mines fault.

Summer Wheat said:
Then it should not be relevant in any case. 

If two cops are involved in the same type of shootings even if justified, they only mention race if a white cop is involved. 

You know it is true but it is not your or mines fault.

I wasn't addressing the police shootings. This was what part of your quote I responded to and had bolded it:

Why is that? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't addressing the police shootings. This was what part of your quote I responded to and had bolded it:

But you never answered why? A black guy beat the crap out of a couple Asians in an obvious hate crime yet you had to do some research to find out.  White guys does it they will name the race.

Again, not blaming you.  Just a puzzling practice of division.

But you never answered why? A black guy beat the crap out of a couple Asians in an obvious hate crime yet you had to do some research to find out.  White guys does it they will name the race.

Again, not blaming you.  Just a puzzling practice of division.
I don’t think you are puzzled at all.  I think you are accusing one side and only one side of shading the truth.  

Users who are viewing this thread