What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Horrible team nicknames (2 Viewers)

Team nicknames I never really cared for:

Saints - Never cared for the name

Seahawks - Of all the cool animal names they could have chosen, why choose friggin Seahawk?

Dolphins - What a poosay name

Jets - meh

Browns - Being named after your owner = lame

Texans - Why?

Get rid of these names!!!
I prefer Seahawks over Smeagol!

My high school had probably the most infamous nickname --

We were known as the Pekin Chinks. :bag:

Changed our nickname to Dragons in 1981. Among other things a google search will pull up this.

My grade school was the Horace Mann Educators. Whaaat???

When I went to Indiana University/Purdue University at Indianapolis our name was the IUPUI Mastedons. They have since changed the name to the Jaguars.

Texans - Why?
To you, "Texan" just means a person from Texas.But "Texan" means to Texans exactly the same thing that the word "Patriot" means to someone from New England. In fact the history of what Texas and the original colonies went through for independence is incredibly similar. And Texas has held on to that history as well (if not even moreso) than New England has.That's why the name is a good one for Houstonians.

Last edited by a moderator:
My high school had probably the most infamous nickname --

We were known as the Pekin Chinks. :bag:

Changed our nickname to Dragons in 1981. Among other things a google search will pull up this.
suspected,So cool. I graduated from PCHS in 1979, I believe we were the last class that was known as Chinks :-)

As for bad team names, my vote goes to Delta State's "Fighting Okra" :lmao:

Some new team names (if you don't get some of these, Google it):

Miami Dope Smoking Running Backs

Buffalo Hot Wings

New York Homeless

New England Yankee Haters

Tennessee Elvises

Jacksonville Sons of Beaches

Indianapolis Brickyards

Houston Rocket Scientists

Baltimore Blue Crabs

Cincinnati Chili Beans

Pittsburgh Scrap Iron

Cleveland No Mo Modells

Kansas City BBQ Sauce

Denver Skeletors

San Diego Carmen

Oakland Old Washed Up Player Refuge

Philadelphia Cheesesteaks

Dallas Grassy Knolls

New York Incomprehensible Subway Systems

Washington Crooked Politicians

Chicago Pizza and Hot Dogs

Green Bay Toilet Tissue

Minnesota Sucks In Winter

Detroit Rust Belts

Carolina Blue Ridgers

Tampa Bay Gruden Dudes

New Orleans Mardi Gras All Nighters

Atlanta Strip Clubs

Seattle Caffeine Addiction

Arizona Gila Monsters

St. Louis Beer Farts

San Francisco Drag Queens

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Browns' helmets orange? I never understood that.
I think its named after there owner.
where?
My apoligies. They were named after there first head coach, Paul Brown.
No they weren't!They were named after the family dog.

Brownie! Cannot believe you guys wouldn't know that.

Also, Steelers as a bad name? What? :football:

They are named after the Steel mill workers that made the whole city up. The Steel Capital of the WORLD at the time.

Steelers is one of the best IMHO.....means something to the place they play. Also, the logo is the Steel industry logo. Since I'm clearing a few things up for ya!! :thumbup:

Happy New Year!
Yeah, how does Steelers make the list but not Packers? :bye:

There was a high schoo name Fairfield Union that allowed the students to name the mascot.

They choose the Charging Knights.

So put it together: (hint look at the initals)

Fairfield Union Charging Knights

Needless to say when the board finally figured this out, they changed the mascot's name.

Now the kids just wear hats with the school's initals

FU

:P

Fish Packers?

Miami Seahawks??

Every once in awhile I become very concerned about the "future leaders" of this country.

Team nicknames I never really cared for:

Saints - Never cared for the name

Seahawks - Of all the cool animal names they could have chosen, why choose friggin Seahawk?

Dolphins - What a poosay name

Jets - meh

Browns - Being named after your owner = lame

Texans - Why?

Get rid of these names!!!
love the seahawks, dolphins and jets.browns obviously has a lot of history attached to it, so that's forgiveable...barely.

i'm with you on the saints and texans - not a fan of those names at all. there are a lot worse names than most you mention though.

bills?

chiefs?

redskins?

packers?

cardinals?

Some new team names (if you don't get some of these, Google it):Pittsburgh Scrap IronCleveland No Mo ModellsMinnesota Sucks In WinterDetroit Rust BeltsNew Orleans Mardi Gras All Nighters
Alternative Names:Pittsburgh Helmetless RothlesbergersCleveland River FiresMinnesota Love BoatsDetroit Devils Night DerelictsNew Orleans Looters

Seahawks were in Miami before moving to Seattle so there is where the goofy name came from.

Rams started in Cleveland then to LA then to St. Louis, yet none of them make sense.

Browns, as much as people hate this name, are named after the father of modern day football. And if you get technical, he has two stadiums and a team named after him. As he should. He introduced the wireless helmet play calling as well as other things. Paul Brown did not want the team named after him but the fans called for it. He took the colors from Bowling Green where they held their training camps. And I actually think the name and color, that there is Brown in the scheme, is a coincidence.

On names I think suck, I'm surprised nobody has said Redskins because of it being a racist name. And I'm not a Cardinals fan, being in Arizona and all, they needed to change the name to a more regional icon. And even though they are gone, Oilers? If you oil something are you really an oiler?
Seahawks were in Miami before moving to Seattle so there is where the goofy name came from. Ummmm NO
You are correct, my apologies. There was Miami Seahawks who later became the Baltimore Colts. I had read some place that Miami moved to Seattle, but after doing some further research, I have found thta as wrong.

Trojans

:lmao:

A contraceptive..or..

a group of people who said.."yea,bring the big horsey into the city,what harm can it do?"

I would go with the San Diego CHargers which were named that by their own who was the original owner of the Diners Club card (Charge Card)and he wanted everyone to charge it.
He compensated for this by outfitting the team in the coolest uniforms in all of sports though. All is forgiven.

Trojans

A contraceptive..or..

a group of people who said.."yea,bring the big horsey into the city,what harm can it do?"

Now why would they name a condom after something that opened up once it got inside?

I never liked the Ravens name. I know the reference to Edgar Allan Poe and all but Poe couldn't read a defense to save his life.
Remember voting for the nickname? I voted for "Rhinos" so we could all wear funny rubber horns on our foreheads and make grunting sounds as they marched down the field.

Can we agree on the worse one of all?

The Mighty Ducks.

Just shameless naming a team after a movie by the owners.
I've got a worse one. In arena football, there is a New York franchise called the Red Bulls, and yes, it's owned by the company that makes Red Bull. Although Red Bulls is admittedly a cooler name, standing on its own, than the Mighty Ducks.
Can we agree on the worse one of all?The Mighty Ducks.Just shameless naming a team after a movie by the owners.
As John McEnroe once said: "You can't be serious!"

Users who are viewing this thread