What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Horrible team nicknames (1 Viewer)

Smeagol

Footballguy
Team nicknames I never really cared for:Saints - Never cared for the nameSeahawks - Of all the cool animal names they could have chosen, why choose friggin Seahawk?Dolphins - What a poosay nameJets - mehBrowns - Being named after your owner = lameTexans - Why?Get rid of these names!!!

What else are you going to name a team from Seattle? You could go with the Boeing references, like the Supersonics. Or go for the sea angle with the Mariners. But this is football, you're supposed to be tough. So what's the most visible predator? A Seahawk. Only other choice is a Killer Whale or a bear. Cougars, Huskies are already taken.

As for the worst, the community college by where I went to High School (Trojans) was the Scottsdale CC Mighty Artichokes.

Are the Browns' helmets orange? I never understood that.I like the Seahawks logo though.Steelers is a pretty bad team name.

Are the Browns' helmets orange? I never understood that.
I think its named after there owner.
where?
My apoligies. They were named after there first head coach, Paul Brown.
No they weren't!They were named after the family dog.

Brownie! Cannot believe you guys wouldn't know that.

Also, Steelers as a bad name? What? :football:

They are named after the Steel mill workers that made the whole city up. The Steel Capital of the WORLD at the time.

Steelers is one of the best IMHO.....means something to the place they play. Also, the logo is the Steel industry logo. Since I'm clearing a few things up for ya!! :thumbup:

Happy New Year!

I would go with the San Diego CHargers which were named that by their own who was the original owner of the Diners Club card (Charge Card)and he wanted everyone to charge it.

I never liked the Ravens name. I know the reference to Edgar Allan Poe and all but Poe couldn't read a defense to save his life.

I still wish the Titans were instead called the Tennessee Valley Authority. That would have been sweet! :thumbup:

My high school's nickname was and is the Spuds.Yes. As in potatoes.As for the pros, I agree that the Texans was a WTF moment for me.I also dislike the Cardinals. Cardinals may play baseball, but they don't play football.The Bills are also dumb. Named after a guy nobody remembers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also dislike the Cardinals. Cardinals may play baseball, but they don't play football.
The Cardinals is at least a traditional name for a city's teams. It's occurred to me before that, from a geographic standpoint, it would make a lot of sense for the Rams and Cardinals to swap nicknames. The clubs IMHO have done a poor job with finding creative names for their teams, and this dates back to the 60's expansion clubs.

Falcons?

Seahawks?

Jaguars?

Panthers?

Titans?

The Saints at least refer to the city their in, as do the Bucs. The Ravens do too, but I felt that that one was forced (I would have loved the Crabs or something else pertaining to that city besides Poe).

As a group these seem like the kind of generic, automated names that Madden spits out at you when a club moves. :thumbdown:

The nickname Rams always seems odd.At the High School level, the HS that Troy Aikman attended (Henryetta, OK) had the nickname of the FIGHTING HENS

On the flip side, does any team nickname better represent the region in which it plays than "Vikings"?Uber cool logo, too.

There is a high school outside of Pittsburgh called the Burgettstown Bluecocks. Got to be one of worst nicknames ever.

On the flip side, does any team nickname better represent the region in which it plays than "Vikings"?

Uber cool logo, too.
Other good ones ("represent the region in which it plays") would include the Packers, the Giants (located in Gotham), the Saints, the Eagles, the Cowboys and the Steelers.

In highschool we played against the Pretzels once. I forget what city, though.
we played against the pretzels in high school, too. ours were the freeport pretzels. but the worst name i can think were the Milledgville MIDGETS

Kingsford Flivvers.

Actually I can't believe people haven't mentioned the Packers.
I don't get the comment on the Packers. I like teams that try to refer to something local, such as the Green Bay fish packing plants that were historically in operation. What's wrong with that?

I don't get the comment on the Packers. I like teams that try to refer to something local, such as the Green Bay fish packing plants that were historically in operation. What's wrong with that?
Fish?You must like the 49ers then too, right? That's another lame one IMO.

Kingsford Flivvers.

Actually I can't believe people haven't mentioned the Packers.
Meat packing. But that's not what the local Lions fans think. Oh no. They are very clever with the use of their adjectives around here.

Local Division III College. The Profs. As in Professors. As in a dorky Owl with a college graduation hat as a mascot. :thumbdown:

Can we agree on the worse one of all?The Mighty Ducks.Just shameless naming a team after a movie by the owners.

Local Division III College. The Profs. As in Professors. As in a dorky Owl with a college graduation hat as a mascot. :thumbdown:
I'll bet their debate team kicks ###.

Had to bring this thread back to life because a high school in our area were the...get this...Blossoms. They thought that was a little lame/sissy so they became the AWESOME BLOSSOMS! OOOOOOOOHH - SO INTIMIDATING!!!

Ok, I feel completed. Carry on.

Can we agree on the worse one of all?

The Mighty Ducks.

Just shameless naming a team after a movie by the owners.
Now that they're no longer named that, the new name doesn't roll off the tounge. And the jerseys stink.

The Mighty Ducks.

I've got a worse one. In arena football, there is a New York franchise called the Red Bulls, and yes, it's owned by the company that makes Red Bull. Although Red Bulls is admittedly a cooler name, standing on its own, than the Mighty Ducks.

The Bills are also dumb. Named after a guy nobody remembers.
Buffalo Bills. Not that bad to me. Especially if it has a dual reference to a person + name of the city. What's the problem? I always thought it was one of the better ones. Please enlighten me?

Thank God the NFL has jettisoned: Boston Yanks, Brooklyn Lions, Buffalo Bison (how redundant redundant), Cincinnati Celts, Columbus Panhandles, Dayton Triangles, Deluth Kelleys, Detroit Heralds, Evansville Crimson Giants, Frankford Yellow Jackets, Hammond Pros, Kenosha Maroons, Lousiville Brecks, Milwaukee Badgers, Newark Tornadoes, Oorang Indians, Pottsville Maroons, Racine Legion, Staten Island Stapletons, Tonawanda Kardex.

And the Philpitt Steagles.

Seahawks were in Miami before moving to Seattle so there is where the goofy name came from.

Rams started in Cleveland then to LA then to St. Louis, yet none of them make sense.

Browns, as much as people hate this name, are named after the father of modern day football. And if you get technical, he has two stadiums and a team named after him. As he should. He introduced the wireless helmet play calling as well as other things. Paul Brown did not want the team named after him but the fans called for it. He took the colors from Bowling Green where they held their training camps. And I actually think the name and color, that there is Brown in the scheme, is a coincidence.

On names I think suck, I'm surprised nobody has said Redskins because of it being a racist name. And I'm not a Cardinals fan, being in Arizona and all, they needed to change the name to a more regional icon. And even though they are gone, Oilers? If you oil something are you really an oiler?

The Mighty Ducks.

I've got a worse one. In arena football, there is a New York franchise called the Red Bulls, and yes, it's owned by the company that makes Red Bull. Although Red Bulls is admittedly a cooler name, standing on its own, than the Mighty Ducks.
Must be an Arena League thing. Miamis first arena team was Miami Hooters: Hooters girls as cheerleaders,Hooters logo on the helmets,etc.

Seahawks were in Miami before moving to Seattle so there is where the goofy name came from.

Rams started in Cleveland then to LA then to St. Louis, yet none of them make sense.

Browns, as much as people hate this name, are named after the father of modern day football. And if you get technical, he has two stadiums and a team named after him. As he should. He introduced the wireless helmet play calling as well as other things. Paul Brown did not want the team named after him but the fans called for it. He took the colors from Bowling Green where they held their training camps. And I actually think the name and color, that there is Brown in the scheme, is a coincidence.

On names I think suck, I'm surprised nobody has said Redskins because of it being a racist name. And I'm not a Cardinals fan, being in Arizona and all, they needed to change the name to a more regional icon. And even though they are gone, Oilers? If you oil something are you really an oiler?
Seahawks were in Miami before moving to Seattle so there is where the goofy name came from. Ummmm NO

Maybe I've just got used to them over time, but I enjoy all the old time names; Browns, Steelers, Packers, Redskins, etc. I can do without the Ravens, Jaguars, and other newer names

The Mighty Ducks.

Must be an Arena League thing. Miamis first arena team was Miami Hooters: Hooters girls as cheerleaders,Hooters logo on the helmets,etc.
Actually that is the name of the MLS team (soccer) in NY. Ten times better then their original name: NY/NJ MetroStarsLEts see, the Santa Clara BananaSlugs. The UC Irvine Anteaters

What about the Laguna Beach Artists (HS)? I think all the kids on the MTV show Laguna Beach went there.

and dont forget the worse full name ever... LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM (i know we are talking nicknames, but this is plain dumb)

The Bills are also dumb.  Named after a guy nobody remembers.
Buffalo Bills. Not that bad to me. Especially if it has a dual reference to a person + name of the city. What's the problem? I always thought it was one of the better ones. Please enlighten me?
I'm also kinda curious as to why the Bills are a good/bad option for a team nickname....

I've always liked the cardinals since they're the oldest existing franchise. I mean they've been the cardinals since the 20's and have been a team since 1898, I don't think they should change, too much history.

Cardinals History

Users who are viewing this thread