What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Horror movies - most essential movies. (1 Viewer)

i've yet to see the words "Phibes" or "Motel" in this thread, so it's not for me.

mof, i'd pay $14 cash money to anyone who can show me anything that would make my heart race or blood boil. anybody else like that? i'm also immune to cartoon heroics, the height of the effects affecting only the height of my eyeroll. is there a connection?
Loved both films as a kid. Scared the crap out of me. Price was great in them. 

My list starts with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and definitely includes Saw and Paranormal Activity.

The former is what I think of when it comes to the 20th century horror movie and the two latter are my favorite from my time as a teenager/twentysomething.

Loved both films as a kid. Scared the crap out of me. Price was great in them. 

set a personal record by dropping acid and riding to the 114 Drive-in in Middleton MA in a friends trunk to watch the Phibes double feature EIGHT days in a row the summer of '72. Next to Hendrix, the only thing that rivals watching Phibeses on acid is riding in a trunk on acid (esp tandem).

60's

The Innocents

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

70's

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Halloween

The Exorcist

Duel

80's

The Thing

The Shining

The Fly

Night of the Creeps

90's

Misery

Scream

2000's

28 Days Later

The Orphanage

2010's

Cabin in the Woods

Train to Busan

Tucker & Dale Versus Evil

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a big fan of horror but The Thing, Halloween and Alien are my 3 favorites. Didn't see The Ring mentioned yet but that movie creeps the ever lovin #### out of me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Would definitely include The Audition. Movie is ####ed.

Does Battle Royale count as horror?
There's a handful that I think are great movies, but I would probably be super reluctant to have anybody watch unless we went through a bunch of others first - Audition would be one of these along with stuff like Martyrs, Midsommar, etc.   These are tough watches even for horror fans.  

1978 Dawn of The Dead might be my #1 film of any genre.
Zombies = not horror!  ;)  

This is one I need to revisit, and I still need to get around to Day of the Dead.   I remember loving the premise of Dawn, but being disappointed the look of the movie didn't hold up like I had remembered (watched it several years ago).   

The part that sticks with me even more than the helicopter blades slicing the zombie head was the stupid zombie banging its shopping cart into the down escalator.

set a personal record by dropping acid and riding to the 114 Drive-in in Middleton MA in a friends trunk to watch the Phibes double feature EIGHT days in a row the summer of '72. Next to Hendrix, the only thing that rivals watching Phibeses on acid is riding in a trunk on acid (esp tandem).

can a borrow a cup of acid? speak of the devil, The Abominable Dr Phibes is TCM's featured flick @ 8pm edt

Blair Witch Project/[Rec]  -  found footage
This was so brilliantly marketed. There were people that legitimately thought it was real. Loved taking different people to it in the theaters and being in on the act and convincing them it was real.

Hadn't had that much fun since the Ouija board.

60's

The Innocents

Psycho

Night of the Living Dead

70's

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Halloween

The Exorcist

Duel

80's

The Thing

The Shining

The Fly

Night of the Creeps

90's

Misery

Scream

2000's

28 Days Later

The Orphanage

2010's

Cabin in the Woods

Train to Busan

Tucker & Dale Versus Evil
night of the creeps was a good one

also liked Night of the Demons

and Basket Case

Zombies = not horror!  ;)  

This is one I need to revisit, and I still need to get around to Day of the Dead.   I remember loving the premise of Dawn, but being disappointed the look of the movie didn't hold up like I had remembered (watched it several years ago).   

My favorite of the series. 

I wonder if I’m alone, but I really like the first Jeepers Creepers. Its pretty entertaining. The sequels are trash, but that first one has some pop. 

In the psychological section I would suggest In the Mouth of Madness and Jacob's Ladder. Both from the 90's.

Was a great time for drive in movies. A bunch of us would go in 3-4 cars and go see the Phibes movies, Willard, The Omen, etc.
Got thrown out of the Litchfield drive in (Litchfield NH) after I popped the trunk of my 66 Coupe Deville to let out 4 kids. Litchfield drive in's specialty was not horror movies.

The part that sticks with me even more than the helicopter blades slicing the zombie head was the stupid zombie banging its shopping cart into the down escalator.
One of 2 movies I've walked out on. This was because my date freaked out on the the helicopter scene.
Things we do for love.

night of the creeps was a good one

also liked Night of the Demons

and Basket Case
Basket Case, Pumpkin Head, Motel Hell (my favorite) are all awesome.

brun said:
Was a great time for drive in movies. A bunch of us would go in 3-4 cars and go see the Phibes movies, Willard, The Omen, etc.
Got thrown out of the Litchfield drive in (Litchfield NH) after I popped the trunk of my 66 Coupe Deville to let out 4 kids. Litchfield drive in's specialty was not horror movies.
we had ona those, too - the 133 Drive-in in Georgetown MA (not all that far from yours, really). when it switched over to the "Litchfield" format, the 70s trend in that fare was adultifying fairytales & classic fables (everyone knows the Alice w the girl from Meatballs but also saw me some Throbbin Hood & Dan'l Poon type flix). decided to have a li'l fun w me Ma on this occasion. during a visit, i mentioned that Pinocchio was playing at the Georgetown Drive-in. We were car-less city folk til i was 12 but our Vermont summers when i was little often included sleepin'-bags-in-the-wagon trips to see family fare @ the Mallet's Bay Drive-in on Lake Champlain. i suggested she & Dad have a date nite with a harken back to the rosy past. me Ma was still the type of immigrant Catholic who said a rosary if she heard "damn" then, so you'll guess what a Pinocchio who wants to grow up to be 'a real stud' (and you'll never guess what grew when he lied) did for her.

Kids just watched the Monster Squad. I showed it to them last year because I loved it when I was ten. Now so do they. 

I'd probably try to get evolution in film history, and sprinkling in genres throughout. Start with early silents, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu. Move on to the monster movies of the 1930s, and show the Bride of Frankenstein and The Mummy. Then more golden age of cinema: Hitchcock and Psycho, as well as Peeping Tom.  70s flicks, like The Exorcist and Young Frankenstein (comedy, but I don't care). 80s slasher (not my cup of tea, but I guess it would be essential). Move on to more modern stuff, like Let the Right One In (which I think was an FBG movie club selection).
 I was fortunate enough to see Let the Right One In at Tribeca film festival and it's still one of my favorite films, any genre. 

Users who are viewing this thread