What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hot Water tank replacement advice? (1 Viewer)

And last one Jutz - big sharpie, write month / year installed. Remember to replace the anode in 7 years or so and you’ll get at least 20 years from the heater 
Thanks man.  It's funny you mention this because my FIL told me to do the exact same thing.  This water heater had a plastic pouch on the side where you keep the install and operation manual.  It also had a warranty card with a place to write down the purchase date and install date.  I wrote it on the card and put it in the pouch... then just did the registration online.  I might just have to write it with a sharpie anyway just because that seems like the cool old school thing to do. 

Thanks for the tip about the anode.  I did not realize that.  Now I just have to figure out how to remember.  Maybe I can write that with the sharpie too! 

One question for you... do you think it's worth it to drain and fill the hot water heater each year.  A lot of the vids I watched on the youtubes said doing that each year can help extend the life of the unit.  seems a bit excessive though.

It's always fun to cut the old water heater in half once you get it outside to see how much funk is in the inside. 
Once a year I drain mine and shop vac all the junk out of the bottom.  First time I did it there was like 2-4 inches of crud in the bottom.  Now I could likely go 2-3 years in between cleanings, but I like to know it's done. 

Jutz said:
Thanks man.  It's funny you mention this because my FIL told me to do the exact same thing.  This water heater had a plastic pouch on the side where you keep the install and operation manual.  It also had a warranty card with a place to write down the purchase date and install date.  I wrote it on the card and put it in the pouch... then just did the registration online.  I might just have to write it with a sharpie anyway just because that seems like the cool old school thing to do. 

Thanks for the tip about the anode.  I did not realize that.  Now I just have to figure out how to remember.  Maybe I can write that with the sharpie too! 

One question for you... do you think it's worth it to drain and fill the hot water heater each year.  A lot of the vids I watched on the youtubes said doing that each year can help extend the life of the unit.  seems a bit excessive though.
I drain off a couple gallons every month. Probably multiple ways to skin the cat tho 

Users who are viewing this thread