What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston new 4-3 D (1 Viewer)

Just got to thinking about how Houston going from the 3-4 to 4-3 is going to affect their front 7.

Does Babin go back to his college position at DE? How do their LB's shake out?

The future MLB is probably not on the current roster. Wong has played there in the past but I don't believe that he is more than an average player there. More likely to be SLB and Greenwood WLB.

Pretty sure both Babin and Peek get some sort of look at DE. IMO, Babin is the more liekly to be able to do the job fulltime with Peek being no more than a situational rusher.

what about shante orr? seemed like he was their best OLB last year.
Good question. At 6'0 250 ish I am thinking Orr is not an everydown DE, but could come in on passing downs. A positive for him is that he played inside for one year in the 3-4 and has shown the willingness to learn any position that they put him at. I assume he is on the roster somewhere, but pinning down the position is tricky.

If this is beyond stupid, let me know.

Is it possible that baltimore would trade Ray Lewis to Houston?

I'm not sure what it would take, I imagine if the 1.01 were part of it, Ozzie Newsome would jump on it (though that seems highly unlikely), would the 2.01 be enough?

I know, AFC team... I don't know that Baltimore cares enough about that as they're in seperate divisions, and Houston does play Cleveland this year.

If this is beyond stupid, let me know.

Is it possible that baltimore would trade Ray Lewis to Houston?

I'm not sure what it would take, I imagine if the 1.01 were part of it, Ozzie Newsome would jump on it (though that seems highly unlikely), would the 2.01 be enough?

I know, AFC team... I don't know that Baltimore cares enough about that as they're in seperate divisions, and Houston does play Cleveland this year.
I would only make a move of that type if I thought I could make a serious playoff run. Lewis is probably not as good as reputation, coming off injury and is around 31 or 32. Would be an upgrade, but I think the Texans would be better off using a pick drafting and developing a MLB.

And what about DaShon Polk? He came on like gangbusters at the end of last year, when he got playing time. He was outperforming all of the Houston LBs. Will he go back to special teams only?

The future MLB is probably not on the current roster. Wong has played there in the past but I don't believe that he is more than an average player there. More likely to be SLB and Greenwood WLB.

Pretty sure both Babin and Peek get some sort of look at DE. IMO, Babin is the more liekly to be able to do the job fulltime with Peek being no more than a situational rusher.
Peek is too small to be more than a 3rd down end. Their LB coach has also said if it's up to him, Peek will be a LB next year.

At 6'2" and 250lbs you don't think Wong can be the MLB in this defense?

For at least a year or two?????

In MINN he had 112 and 98 tackles in the 4-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what about DaShon Polk? He came on like gangbusters at the end of last year, when he got playing time. He was outperforming all of the Houston LBs. Will he go back to special teams only?
Biggest issue here is that Polk is a FA and with this being a new staff hard to read what they think of him.

At 6'2" and 250lbs you don't think Wong can be the MLB in this defense?

For at least a year or two?????

In MINN he had 112 and 98 tackles in the 4-3.
It is a decent chance that happens, but the words that have been thrown around these parts are that the Texans don't have the MLB they would like on their roster, nor for that matter true DEs.

I agree with coolnerd. Look for Houston address this in the draft. This looks like a strong LB class and they should be able to upgrade.

Would Babin be big enough to be other than a 3rd down pass rusher?
He will need to add 5-10 lbs, but Babin should be big enough at 270 (currently at 260-265). Peek is the player who would have problems playing DE all three downs. I've read that his playing weight was in the 240 area.

Why would Houston switch to a 4-3 when the top team in the division struggles against 3-4s and lights up 4-3s? Dumb move IMO.

Seeking 4-3 defenders

On defense, they're switching to a 4-3 under new coordinator Richard Smith. They're overstocked at tackle, understocked at end and need a bona fide 4-3 middle linebacker.

Kubiak, general manager Charley Casserly, the assistant coaches, scouts, trainers, doctors and equipment men attend the combine. They'll watch players work out, and they'll spend several days interviewing potential draft choices.

Kubiak, Casserly and the rest of the Texans' contingent will interview Young and Bush, among the many other players in whom they're interested.

"I've been watching film and trying to get caught up because I want to get as much knowledge as I can about as many prospects as possible," Kubiak said. "Watching the players work out is good, but you can always get the tape of that. You know these guys are talented.

"What I'm really interested in are the interviews. I want to talk football with the players. I want to find out what they want to be doing in three years. I want to know how important

[I]Source: By JOHN MCCLAIN

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle Feb. 21, 2006, 11:07PM

I think their ideal solution would be to copy what Dallas did last season (in reverse, though) - load up on defensive players who fit their new scheme in the draft. They could probaby convert Babin, draft a DE and a MLB, and be in decent shape.

I think their ideal solution would be to copy what Dallas did last season (in reverse, though) - load up on defensive players who fit their new scheme in the draft. They could probaby convert Babin, draft a DE and a MLB, and be in decent shape.
I agree. I look for Houston to be a playoff contender in 06. They are a much better team than their record. I think they will take Bush and fill some key defensive needs in the draft. Look for Houston to have an outstanding draft this year.

I think they'll make a deal with NYJ to trade down for Abrahams. Then with the NYJ pick, they get D'Brick and use the money they save by drafting DBRick rather than Bush, to sign a FA MLB. Then with their 2nd or 3rd round pick, they grab a good cover, L CB. At least I hope that's what happens...?

I think they'll make a deal with NYJ to trade down for Abrahams. Then with the NYJ pick, they get D'Brick and use the money they save by drafting DBRick rather than Bush, to sign a FA MLB. Then with their 2nd or 3rd round pick, they grab a good cover, L CB. At least I hope that's what happens...?
Interesting...I could see that happening. It could be a good move. But, it would be awful hard to pass on Bush. Though sure would be nice to get D'Brick.With all the LB talent in this class, they can get their MLB in the draft as well as a corner.

Another option is: draft Bush and trade Davis for a draft pick. Not too sure what they could get for him. A early 2nd round pick would be helpful in filling some needs. Houston has some tough calls to make.

Like who? (I'm curious as I don't know who would be available.)

So no one so far thinks that D Polk has any future with the Texans anymore?
I had answered Polk in post 11. From everything that I hear from message boards and so-called insiders is that Polk is viewed as good depth and special teamer. Depending the agreement and offers from other teams he maybe back in that type of role. Nothing I have heard indicates that he is thought of as a starter.

I had answered Polk in post 11. From everything that I hear from message boards and so-called insiders is that Polk is viewed as good depth and special teamer. Depending the agreement and offers from other teams he maybe back in that type of role. Nothing I have heard indicates that he is thought of as a starter.
Thanks coolnerd, I must have skipped over that earlier response. I have him as a RFA in a dynasty and was wondering if he was going to be worth hanging on to. At this point it doesn't look like it.

Thanks coolnerd, I must have skipped over that earlier response. I have him as a RFA in a dynasty and was wondering if he was going to be worth hanging on to. At this point it doesn't look like it.
The Texans MLB situation is totally up in the air. I am guessing that there will be some unexpected name or maybe even a rookie that winds up filling that job and will be a nice top 25 LBs that can be had cheaply. Depending on your rules and depth of the league, you could do worse than having Polk as the last guy on your bench through the off season.

Users who are viewing this thread