What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston tanking the rest of the year (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Schuab seriously out played Keenum and gave the team their best option to win a game, so what do they do

The Texans announced Case Keenum will start in Week 15 against the Colts.

Coach Gary Kubiak said after Thursday night's loss to the Jaguars that Matt Schaub was an "unbelievable pro" and would be considered for the starting job for the rest of the season. Kubiak was then fired Friday morning. The 2-11 Texans are in full-blown evaluation mode, and it makes no sense to give Schaub anymore starts. His time is likely done in Houston, as well. Keenum has struggled mightily in recent weeks. He won't be a recommended fantasy option.

evaluation? hasn't Keenum been evaluated enough?!! What evaluation are u going to get from 3 & outs every freaking drive. Team is clearing tanking for the pick

The colts tanked an entire season for Luck.
their QB was IR'd at the beginning of the season and they showed more fight than this at the end of their season. This is different, theres NO REASON to keep playing Keenum expect to lose the games.

Schuab seriously out played Keenum and gave the team their best option to win a game, so what do they do

Coach Gary Kubiak said after Thursday night's loss to the Jaguars that Matt Schaub was an "unbelievable pro" and would be considered for the starting job for the rest of the season. Kubiak was then fired Friday morning. The 2-11 Texans are in full-blown evaluation mode, and it makes no sense to give Schaub anymore starts. His time is likely done in Houston, as well. Keenum has struggled mightily in recent weeks. He won't be a recommended fantasy option.

evaluation? hasn't Keenum been evaluated enough?!! What evaluation are u going to get from 3 & outs every freaking drive. Team is clearing tanking for the pick
I agree Schaub gives the team the best chance to win today.

I disagree with you other than that. Keenum could still end up a starter. I would bet against it if I had to bet. But it is not unreasonable he could overcome his weaknesses given time. He may get that time playing in actual games, more so than holding a clipboard. No, he hasn't been evaluated enough, though his evaluation isn't glowing to date.

If you put me in charge of the Texans for the next few years, I start Keenum the rest of the season as the best thing for the Texans organization. If I don't start him, then I'd start Yates for the same reason.

Now apply Adam Harstadt's tanking test. Have the NFL move to a randomized NFL draft order so that losing does nothing to help the Texans. If I'm in charge, I still start Keenum. I have nothing to gain long term by starting Schaub since he is only still on my roster because I can't take his cap hit until next year. I still may have something to gain with Case.

first of all -- they have 2 wins, I'm not sure how you can tell when they started tanking.

second, it sounds like keenum starting wk 15 was kubiak's decision, and he's been fired

Schaub's (once again) terrible INT at the end of the game is reason enough. Houston is on pace to be next years Kansa City Chiefs

The colts tanked an entire season for Luck.
their QB was IR'd at the beginning of the season and they showed more fight than this at the end of their season. This is different, theres NO REASON to keep playing Keenum expect to lose the games.
I agree wholeheartedly, but apparently there are those out there that feel Keenum give the Texans the best chance to win. It wouldn't bother me so much if it were just posters here, but apparently Bob McNair believes it too. :lmao:

I agree Schaub gives the team the best chance to win today.

I disagree with you other than that. Keenum could still end up a starter. I would bet against it if I had to bet. But it is not unreasonable he could overcome his weaknesses given time. He may get that time playing in actual games, more so than holding a clipboard. No, he hasn't been evaluated enough, though his evaluation isn't glowing to date.

If you put me in charge of the Texans for the next few years, I start Keenum the rest of the season as the best thing for the Texans organization. If I don't start him, then I'd start Yates for the same reason.

Now apply Adam Harstadt's tanking test. Have the NFL move to a randomized NFL draft order so that losing does nothing to help the Texans. If I'm in charge, I still start Keenum. I have nothing to gain long term by starting Schaub since he is only still on my roster because I can't take his cap hit until next year. I still may have something to gain with Case.
We've seen enough of Keenum, he needs to go back to the practice squad and study... I'd be ok w/ giving Yates one last shot if their dead set on never playing Schuab again. But theres a you TE and 3 young WRs out there and what are they going to learn w/ constant 3 and outs.

How often have we seen the backup qb come in, provide a spark, then go back to sucking?? Often enough for me to think if they play keenum in week 15, I would not think they were tanking.

I would argue that its Schaub that has been evaluated enough. We know he'll flop in the red zone and choke with the game on the line, just like he did for the umpteenth time last night. Didnt stay with Andre long enough on a critical play in the rz, then nearly threw another pick six the play before the INT. Guy has proved his best days are long gone. Yes Keenum has sucked but so does Schaub and now that his only supporter is gone I hope to never see him take another snap for us. Keenum isnt the answer but he might as well get the experience since he will be with the team next year and Matty Pick Six wont. I really dont think that is such an egregious transgression by the franchise.

:lol: Schaub is gone after this season. Keenum is not. Why not see what you got?

Some call that tanking, others call that looking to the future

Dr. Brew said:
:lol: Schaub is gone after this season. Keenum is not. Why not see what you got?

you haven't seen enough of Keenum?, hes played in 7 games already.

Dr. Brew said:

The problem is that he's been brilliant in some games, terrible in others. So I think no, we haven't seen enough of him because we need to figure out what the kid looks like when he's stable. He's been in an awful position this year, but he could still even out and be a good QB going forward.

I don't believe Keenum gives the best chance to win. But there's no sense in playing Schaub since he isn't their future qb. Tanking has nothing to do with it since it makes complete sense to see what Keenum does with a large enough same size.

Dr. Brew said:

You have not seen enough of Schaub and his pick sixes? He has had more years to prove himself and he proved he sucks.

Also, the only think he had on Keenum after his good game this past Thursday was a few more yards, 39 I believe. Completed one more on same attempts and threw as many TDs and picks. Keenum also had as many rushes and more yards.

So, was he that much better? No, but he should have been based off experience and confidence he was given from the coaching staff who supported him and not Keenum.

Supporting Schaub at this point as a starter in Houston, in my opinion, shows a real lack of understanding the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
7 games isn't that many games. It's in the team's best long-term interests to throw the young QB back out there and see how he handles it. See if he improves. Especially since they may have to decide to go with Teddy or Clowney.

Dr. Brew said:

I would argue that they've ONLY seen 7 games from him. He was a third stringer. I would argue a third string rookie QB would take at least 1.5-2 months to really get a full grasp of the nfl and the speed of the game.

They've seen Schaub for several seasons, so they know what they have there. No matter what they will have a top 10 pick. Sure benefits them to see what they have in QB before gambling a high pick in a franchise QB. If Keenum can get better with experience perhaps they grab one round 2. It makes perfect sense to play Keenum.

I don't think the Texans are tanking per se as it does make sense to play Keenum to see if he can improve, as he'll likely be the backup next year. It does have a secondary effect of possibly aiding in a higer pick I suppose. The Colts on the other hand probably pulled a tank job to some extent but it didn't seem blatant. It's similar to how i'm managing my dynasty team this year after I was eliminated. I'm putting out my best lineup each week but I'm not doing anything in terms of picking players off the waiver wire to make my team better.

Dr. Brew said:

You have not seen enough of Schaub and his pick sixes? He has had more years to prove himself and he proved he sucks.

Also, the only think he had on Keenum after his good game this past Thursday was a few more yards, 39 I believe. Completed one more on same attempts and threw as many TDs and picks. Keenum also had as many rushes and more yards.

So, was he that much better? No, but he should have been based off experience and confidence he was given from the coaching staff who supported him and not Keenum.

Supporting Schaub at this point as a starter in Houston, in my opinion, shows a real lack of understanding the situation.
Schaub had a few more yards as you mention, but did it in half as many possessions.

That is what highlights a major difference between them. Schaub can gain as many yards in fewer possessions because he moves the ball far more consistently than Keenum. Keenum's 8 drives included the Texans longest drive, 91 yards. But after that Schaub had the next 3 longest (76, 67, and 55 yards) despite Schaub only having 4 drives with any time on the clock.

Both had a single pick, though generally Case has better in terms of interceptions.

Dr. Brew said:

Schaub had a few more yards as you mention, but did it in half as many possessions.

That is what highlights a major difference between them. Schaub can gain as many yards in fewer possessions because he moves the ball far more consistently than Keenum. Keenum's 8 drives included the Texans longest drive, 91 yards. But after that Schaub had the next 3 longest (76, 67, and 55 yards) despite Schaub only having 4 drives with any time on the clock.

Both had a single pick, though generally Case has better in terms of interceptions.
Normally I encourage people not to quote Phenx since that is the only way I see his postings.

In this case, I agree with him. You already know what you get with Schaub. He's washed up, done, days of starting are essentially over unless Minnesota wants another retread.

You don't know what you get with Keenum; he has only started 7 games. He's a rookie. Give him some time, a chance, anything to make a case for even the backup role next year

Dr. Brew said:

Normally I encourage people not to quote Phenx since that is the only way I see his postings.

In this case, I agree with him. You already know what you get with Schaub. He's washed up, done, days of starting are essentially over unless Minnesota wants another retread.

You don't know what you get with Keenum; he has only started 7 games. He's a rookie. Give him some time, a chance, anything to make a case for even the backup role next year
I agree with the Texans starting Keenum, said as much near the top of the thread.

I completely disagree with his reasoning that because Schaub only had a few more yards means there wasn't much difference. There was a significant difference between them.

But you don't start Keenum because of a lack of difference. You start Keenum to see how much he can improve in the games he has left so you know better what your situation is going into next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Brew said:

I agree with the Texans starting Keenum, said as much near the top of the thread.

I completely disagree with his reasoning that because Schaub only had a few more yards means there wasn't much difference. There was a significant difference between them.

But you don't start Keenum because of a lack of difference. You start Keenum to see how much he can improve in the games he has left so you know better what your situation is going into next year.
I would agree completely

Goodell should kick the Texans out of the league and keep McNairs buy in.

Sorry, thought it was another one of those threads.

I think we hit the nail on the head. It is impossible for a QB to get any better after playing 7 games, therefore we know what Keenum is.............hence...........tanking

I've seen enough. Bridgewater or bust. Depending how Cousins looks I'd give the 2nd rounder for him. I have a feeling Washington wants more for him though. I think all 3 of our QBs could be gone next season.

lol...Cousins is for sure a high first rounder at this point.
That's obviously what they are going for. You think it's a coincidence they decided to start Cousins against ATL, DAL and then NYG? I could put up a decent stat line against those teams.

I've seen enough. Bridgewater or bust. Depending how Cousins looks I'd give the 2nd rounder for him. I have a feeling Washington wants more for him though. I think all 3 of our QBs could be gone next season.
Washington might want more, but they are unlikely to get it (at least, not straight up).

He was a 4th round pick, who has shown some promise, but it is a small sample size. Plus, unless multiple teams are competing to trade for him, Washington has very little leverage. With what they've invested in RGIII, he's going to be their QB. Other teams know this, and I don't see much chance anyone will give a 1st-rounder for him.

If a team with a high 2nd round pick were willing to trade that for him, the Redskins should quickly accept that trade (don't know if they will, but they should).

Washington might want more, but they are unlikely to get it (at least, not straight up).

He was a 4th round pick, who has shown some promise, but it is a small sample size. Plus, unless multiple teams are competing to trade for him, Washington has very little leverage. With what they've invested in RGIII, he's going to be their QB. Other teams know this, and I don't see much chance anyone will give a 1st-rounder for him.

If a team with a high 2nd round pick were willing to trade that for him, the Redskins should quickly accept that trade (don't know if they will, but they should).
There are countless guys like Flynn, Whitehurst, Hoying, Feeley, Kolb, etc., who have been traded on a small sample size for far more than they are worth. GMs get desperate and need to buy themselves time...trust me, as a Jets fan, each new QB we get provides a glimmer of hope in the beginning, even though it always ends in a ball of flames.

Users who are viewing this thread