What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Stefon Diggs acquired. Hot Diggity (3 Viewers)

It's official, Demeco is the new Texans' Head Coach . Finally a positive addition to this franchise to give us a bit of hope. Now, just crossing my fingers Caserio doesnt blow these early picks again.

So glad to get Ryans, especially compared to what Denver is giving up for Sean Payton. I know he might be the more proven commodity but I wouldn't want to give up a 1st and another early day pick for him.

I count this as the 5th Head Coach for the Texans over the last 30 months
Pardon me for being cautious in praising them for anything right now.

Of the candidates I have heard mentioned, Ryans would seem like a pretty decent hire but it's really just another OC/DC hot name of the year.
My money is on fans looking for a new direction inside of 2 seasons but I hope I'm wrong. This might take quite a while to get turned around, more than a couple Drafts.

Good Luck Texans' fans

Super excited and the team needs to actually give him a shot. Curious to see how this move affects some of the relationship with Houston’s “old guard” like AJ and JJ.

Now with a legit coach we know will be here, it’s time to really fix the roster. Enough stewarding and stalling for the multi-year turnaround and get to it. Hopeful DeMeco might be that sort of draw to see some key pieces drawn to the Texans in spite of, or at least not in outright opposition, to our front office.

I count this as the 5th Head Coach for the Texans over the last 30 months
Pardon me for being cautious in praising them for anything right now.

Of the candidates I have heard mentioned, Ryans would seem like a pretty decent hire but it's really just another OC/DC hot name of the year.
My money is on fans looking for a new direction inside of 2 seasons but I hope I'm wrong. This might take quite a while to get turned around, more than a couple Drafts.

Good Luck Texans' fans

I nearly made this post in the Bloody Monday thread, but didn't feel like engaging some people there as it would have happened. Going to make it here though. Here's my recap of the last couple of years and where we're at today. This isn't aimed at you MoP, just a brain dump on my part of what has gone down and how we got here.

* Bill O'Brien should have been stopped from making obviously stupid trades. But ownership out of whatever combination of not stepping in with good judgment and/or having their head up Jack Easterby's backside, let them happen. He deserved to be fired sooner than he was.

* Subsequent offseason, team seeks Deshaun Watson's input on GM and coach possibilities. Then went a totally different direction and hired Nick Caserio without even a word to Watson. Watson has enough and demands a trade. Massage stuff hasn't broke or at least the full scope isn't known yet.

* Caserio comes in and hires David Culley, a coaching candidate that no other team seemed interested in, but that Deshaun Watson reportedly had in his list of preferred coaching hires. My take: the team was hoping to make up with Deshaun by going with someone he'd wanted. I might have done the same thing.

* Watson situation becomes fully evident. Cully sucks as a head coach, team in dissarray and is fired. People criticize the one and done firing. Why? You tell me. No other team interviewed him to be head coach once available, no one even brought him in as a coordinator. Why on earth would we criticize getting rid of a coach that no other team needed?

* But the dysfunction is still there. The team looks to be going with Josh McCown as the replacement. Who has never truly coached at any level even high school. It's hard to see a reason they'd be aimed at him other than his close relationship with Jack Easterby, and aforementioned owner's head up Easterby's posterior. So that's where I place all that blame.

* Fins coach firing and subsequent lawsuit puts the Texans in the public crosshair for firing a black head coach and aiming for a white replacement whose lack of experience makes him pretty indefensible. (At least until the Colts bring in Jeff Saturday but that's a year distant.) Flailing to get out of the hole Jack Easterby dug them, they promote their assistant head coach Lovie Smith.

* No other team was in interested in Lovie Smith as a head coach. No one expected he was going to be more than a bridge unless he just really took off and did well. What he was viewed as was someone who would be able to right the dysfunction in the locker room and restore the sense of being an NFL team there.

* Team finally kicks Jack Easterby to the curb and ownership (very possibly bolstered by owner's mother) finally starts to make some positive moves there. GM indicates his job isn't safe come postseason, suggesting maybe a real change is going on in ownership.

* Back to Lovie. Team sucked under Lovie. He wasn't a particularly good coach on the field, but he did at least rebuild them into some semblance of a team. They played some good teams close. But was he a good coach? No. Did any other team interview him to become head coach when he became available? No. Yet just like Culley people criticize the firing as if sticking with a coach you know isn't the right one is the right thing to do. Which is just an uninformed, dumb take if you ask me (and why I didn't post it in the other thread). The best that people were saying there was "The team didn't quit on him." Well ****, sign him up for another 5 years then he wasn't such a train wreck the players wouldn't even play for their own futures! The best I'll say is he wasn't a train wreck, and they did play some good teams tough down the stretch but man it took them forever to adjust to what other teams were doing.

There was no expectation at the hiring that Lovie was anything but a 1 year stopgap because the team painted themselves into the PR corner by listening to Jack Easterby about Josh McCown. No team in the league thinks Lovie is the right coaching candidate for their team. So why would you keep him in a year that you're likely making a decision on a potentially franchise QB with the #2 pick?

That's where this has all been, and where it is now. The team went out, and actually got the coach I think most people around the league had as their top choice given the draft pick cost of Payton. That seemed to be the case for the other teams seeking coaches. Denver's top choice was Ryans and Payton is their consolation prize that is going to cost them two early day picks.

I don't know that Demeco will turn it around, I don't know if Nick Caserio's drafting will turn it around. I do think Caserio gets way too much criticism. His first year his first draft pick was in the 3rd, the team was low on talent and had bad contracts he ended up having to get rid of. He's basically had one year to start bringing in players, and he's overall done a better job than I'd say anyone should have expected, including draft picks and free agents.

He had a great draft last year all told with a lot of quality all the way down into the later rounds. Stingley it is way too early to evaluate and he looked good enough I'm not going to criticize the pick yet just because the guy after him ended up being stellar. If Stingley turns out to be one of the better corners it'll still be a successful pick, and that's still very possible. Especially if they go with a system that fits his strengths.

Anyway, I just needed to do a dump. I'm all on board with roasting Cal McNair over who he put his trust in and how slow he was to react. I don't blame Caserio for the Culley or Lovie hirings or firings. I think more likely than not he was caught in a situation that ownership was still listening to Easterby, as I have a hard time seeing him preferring McCown. He's fixed the cap situation and started to bring in some talent though obviously they need more. So I'm board with the direction the team is going, for the first time in a couple of years.

Meco is also the prodigal son for a franchise with little history. He was picked by the Texans, was DROY, and is a former captain. Go look at stories JJ’s telling today.

Cal is and has been a bozo and since 2019 this team has been the definition of dysfunctional, but all things considered this was an absolute home run by them today. You just can’t overstate how opposite today is vs everything else surrounding this franchise for years.

The top coaching name on the market chose Houston. Think about how far that means they’ve come just today. Blitz them most days, today Cal actually deserves credit.

#2 Draft Pick is my next focus, good luck to Demeco Ryans, he's going to need it.

-I know OSU QBs are hit n miss but I liked Stroud and especially in the bigger games I thought he carried the team
-My issue is the Texans are so far in the hole that grabbing a QB 1st might be a mistake
-I am not a fan of the 185 lb QB in Alabama, if the Bears trade down and Stroud were to go #1 and Houston takes #2 just because they need a QB and go with Young from Bama, big mistake IMO, in fact the Texans should be trading down and accumulating as many draft selections as possible not just this year but in coming seasons. I did a mock myself and it seems like Houston has quite a number of picks coming their way.

I don't think the answer to the Houston Texans' problems is awaiting at 1 or 2, they need to be thinking about building up their OL and DL, add some playmakers and make it turn key for an NFL prospect at QB or perhaps attract a veteran.

I don't think you are going to find Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow this season, doesn't do any good to chase what isn't there. BPA-build the team up and then you have a chance to turn the corner at some point but it will take time.

Last edited:
RB-Pierce, seems to be a nice piece but we know RBs typically do not carry teams alone.

-I think building the interior of the OL, Kenyon Green might have been dead last out of 78 starting OG rated on PFF. Scott Quessenberry at Center was another disaster
-I would draft Pierce's starting OG at Florida, O'Cyrus Torrence. Certainly not with the top pick but figure out a way to shuffle down with the 2nd pick in the 1st if you don't accumulate more of them on draft day.
-I would also think about drafting another RB to team up with Pierce and take some heat off the QB, whoever they are.
-There are QBs after the top 2, I kinda like Will Levis, Richardson not as much, the kid from Stanford is interesting and more of a late 1st.

These are just my quick thoughts and I could apply this same philosophy to other teams "Don't chase QB" especially when you just lost a franchise caliber QB, we don't have to relive it.

I've been thinking about that #2 pick since my post. I have been thinking QB all season, but I'm not hugely sold on who is available. I wouldn't argue if they think they see the next franchise guy in one of them and take him. But I might prefer to trade down and build up more of the team, yes. Especially if they could go out and get a decent enough veteran to carry you for a year or two while you wait for the right go to show up. Brady, Jimmy G and Geno are all out there this year. Brady is probably only going to consider a top contender, but I wouldn't object to the other two guys if they used the picks to solidify their foundation.

But what I absolutely don't want is some bidding war to move up to #1. You do that and you have to end up with a top 5 NFL QB or it was a waste. I just don't think the odds are high enough on Young and Stroud to risk that.

I’m more and more aligned with skipping QB this year or throwing a late round flyer on a “maybe” with a lens to 2023 with you likely being wrong with your Hail Mary.

Assume Purdy is the 6th month variety and/or Brady heads to SF for a year, toss a 3rd rounder for Lance or later for Wilson, then…

1.02 Will Anderson, DE
1.12 Michael Mayer, TE
2.02 Jaxson Smith-Njigba, WR (maybe Zay Flowers, WR instead)
3 (first pick) Trey Lance
3 (CLE pick) Kayshon Boutte

Would leave you an offensive core like this:

QB - Lance
RB - Pierce
WR - JSN (or Flowers), Boutte, Collins
TE - Mayer

Even better is if you’re wrong on Lance and pick early in 2023, Williams and Maye are waiting. It’s also why I think you go more weapons heavy and bold (JSN and Boutte over Flowers and Downs) in effort to strike lightning.

JAN may not be there in the 2nd, but I like the overall thought process.
Two times in team history did this franchise go weapons in the 1st round - Andre Johnson & DeAndre Hopkins (well Fuller, too).

Other than Watson, this team loves to draft OL and DL early only it seems. We are severely lacking of weapons and I hope they remember that history. Add Mayer in there as a TE I feel like would fit in like Kittle does on the 9ers and it could get fun.

I really like Shanahan’s system for Houston, so might as well lean into it as well.

JAN may not be there in the 2nd, but I like the overall thought process.
Two times in team history did this franchise go weapons in the 1st round - Andre Johnson & DeAndre Hopkins (well Fuller, too).

Other than Watson, this team loves to draft OL and DL early only it seems. We are severely lacking of weapons and I hope they remember that history. Add Mayer in there as a TE I feel like would fit in like Kittle does on the 9ers and it could get fun.

I really like Shanahan’s system for Houston, so might as well lean into it as well.
I hope they do.

I’ll have Young & Stroud, and I’m hoping neither are Texans.

Report: Broncos tried to lure Ryans from Texans at last second

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, citing sources, that Denver didn’t give up on its dream of hiring 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans even after it became clear he was heading to the Houston Texans.

The Broncos labeled Ryans as their top candidate in the hiring search from the start.

“[Tuesday], when we all thought [the Broncos] were zeroing on Sean Payton, they made another run at DeMeco Ryans, failed there, and now go back to Sean Payton and reach a deal with him,” Rapoport said.

Weapons would be great for a new QB but they don’t have much to show for an O’line either to protect a new young QB. They’ve drafted exactly 3 offensive lineman in the first round in 21 years. Duane Brown in 2008, Tytus Howard in 2019, and Kenyon Green this last year. They did trade two 1sts for Tunsil obviously as well. Only 4 picks in the 2nd round in the last 21 years too, most recently busts like Sua’Filo or Max Sharping. Green was a rookie so maybe he improves, while Howard (once they left him at RT and stopped moving him back and forth to G) and Tunesil (pro-bowl pass blocker but middle of the pack run blocker) are solid tackles but they both want new top of market contracts for their spots. I don't have access to PFF grades, but it seems to me that they aren’t worth market setting contracts but they may get them just because we don't want to create even more holes on the roster. I've already detailed that I think they should trade Tunsil and hopefully get a 1st + another mid-round pick and then draft a new tackle that would be a lot a cheaper and younger. Another major problem was we were also starting a backup guard at center most of the year which was a massive hole and needs an injection of talent badly. They’ve got to address center this off-season either in FA or the draft if you want a new QB to have any protection up the middle at all.

I’m already on record thinking they should trade down from both the 2 and 12, just too many dang holes to fill. QB, WR, C, TE, DE, DT, LB and #2 Corner are all needs. They added talent to the secondary this past draft but our front 7 is really lacking, we have some of the worst linebackers in league for example. One great thing about DeMeco that I hope addresses some of these holes is the ability to develop and coach up talent. SF Def had a lot of homeruns from the mid to late rounds which we need badly, far too many guys drafted in our history with upside that never achieved it and he can do a better job of getting those guys to improve.

Another intangible is the excitement among former Texans players and changing the negativity around the franchise. Look at twitter and guys like JJ and Andre are effusive in their praise of Ryans and his hire. There was a picture posted on twitter yesterday of about 15 former Texans players in Houston yesterday, speculation is they were in town for Ryans big announcement.

There's a report we've requested to interview the Bengals WR coach as an OC candidate. Reading his resume looks pretty impressive for an up and comer. We don't have the WR talent that Cinci does obviously, but perhaps we can add some in the draft this year and next. Cinci's offense has been able to thrive with a less than stellar o'line as well.

He had a great draft last year all told with a lot of quality all the way down into the later rounds.

I'll have to disagree with you there. The Jets had a great draft. Stngley, Green and Metchie was about as big of a bust in Year 1 as you can get. Hopefully those players show some life in Year 2. He has to be better in the early rounds.

I’m not a fan of Caserio but he did unearth some gems and came into a rough situation. For every positive move I think I can point to a negative one pretty easily though.

Given that it was reported that Cooks was an Easterby guy, ‘Littlefinger’ may have had a hand in some of the questionable salary cap and contract decisions that I didn’t like. Jury’s very much still out, we’ll see what happens this off-season.

He had a great draft last year all told with a lot of quality all the way down into the later rounds.

I'll have to disagree with you there. The Jets had a great draft. Stngley, Green and Metchie was about as big of a bust in Year 1 as you can get. Hopefully those players show some life in Year 2. He has to be better in the early rounds.

Fine to disagree, but I'll point out a few things too. Pierce, Pitre, and Christian Harris were all great picks who look like long term building blocks. Especially for where they were taken. Alone they already made it a pretty great draft. And there's still a lot more potential to it.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to claim to have evaluated Metchie. You can't fault a GM for not knowing that type of medical condition when even the player didn't know. From all reports he should be able to return and play.

Stingley looked good early in the year and was being included in the lists of top rookies until his injury. That was despite the fact that Lovie Smith played so much Tampa 2, when Stingley was regarded coming out of the draft as fantastic in man coverage but only a good zone defender. Texans used Cover 2 the most of any team in the league and were considered predictable. If you read up on the 49ers defense you're going to see all kind of praise on how Demeco had adapted their scheme to the players they had available at any given point during the season.

Green actually played and there wasn't much positive there. So I'd agree criticism is warranted, especially given he seemed a big reach where he was picked.

Last edited:
Already, the franchise has reportedly requested permission to interview Bengals wide receivers coach Troy Walters and 49ers passing game coordinator Bobby Slowik for its offensive coordinator position. It’s also possible Ryans convinces 49ers defensive line coach Kris Kocurek to join him in Houston as his defensive coordinator.

Great hire if he gets the time he needs to be successful. Which I think he will. Those guys have a mountain to climb but I would bet they play their asses off for him and he succeeds in the end.

And if he does turn it around, the skies the limit. Offense will be very interesting and ironically enough, the deciding factor in the end. The other aspects are proven already, imo.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, citing sources, that Denver didn’t give up on its dream of hiring 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans even after it became clear he was heading to the Houston Texans.

The Broncos labeled Ryans as their top candidate in the hiring search from the start.

“[Tuesday], when we all thought [the Broncos] were zeroing on Sean Payton, they made another run at DeMeco Ryans, failed there, and now go back to Sean Payton and reach a deal with him,” Rapoport said.

Not buying it. The Broncos, more than anything, need to fix Russell Wilson. I would take Payton for that job over Ryans, for THIS situation, without a doubt.

They also have a top 5 D already in tact. Payton has plenty of pull to get someone to keep that D in tact.

Cute article/claim by an SF beat writer, but I'm not buying it. We'll see, but DeMeco Ryans fixing Russ and the offense over Sean Payton? No way.

Not buying it. The Broncos, more than anything, need to fix Russell Wilson. I would take Payton for that job over Ryans, for THIS situation, without a doubt.

They also have a top 5 D already in tact. Payton has plenty of pull to get someone to keep that D in tact.

Cute article/claim by an SF beat writer, but I'm not buying it. We'll see, but DeMeco Ryans fixing Russ and the offense over Sean Payton? No way.

To me, the Broncos likely had Ryans 1A and Payton 1B due to what they would have to give up to get Payton, which made Ryans a higher priority. But it didn't end up that way so they had to give up the picks to get Payton instead.

Fine to disagree, but I'll point out a few things too. Pierce, Pitre, and Christian Harris were all great picks who look like long term building blocks. Especially for where they were taken. Alone they already made it a pretty great draft. And there's still a lot more potential to it.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to claim to have evaluated Metchie. You can't fault a GM for not knowing that type of medical condition when even the player didn't know. From all reports he should be able to return and play.

Stingley looked good early in the year and was being included in the lists of top rookies until his injury. That was despite the fact that Lovie Smith played so much Tampa 2, when Stingley was regarded coming out of the draft as fantastic in man coverage but only a good zone defender. Texans used Cover 2 the most of any team in the league and were considered predictable. If you read up on the 49ers defense you're going to see all kind of praise on how Demeco had adapted their scheme to the players they had available at any given point during the season.

Green actually played and there wasn't much positive there. So I'd agree criticism is warranted, especially given he seemed a big reach where he was picked.

Good points on Stingley and definitely too early to tell. I'm worried about his injury history and his first season didn't relieve those fears. All these question marks when we could've had a game changing All Pro instead hurts a bit....Pitre takes some of the sting away but I can't give Caserio anything higher than a B- given all the picks he had. I hope he fares better in the early rounds. Those picks can make or break a franchise.

Last edited:

I think you meant "cute claim by Ian Rapaport on NFL Network". They included the video In the article. Listen to the final 15 seconds of the clip.

Nick about first interview, at the end of it parting words, Demeco basically said: "I want to come home. This is my dream job. Let's make it happen."

I think you meant "cute claim by Ian Rapaport on NFL Network". They included the video In the article. Listen to the final 15 seconds of the clip.

The article is written by Tristi Rodriguez, a Bay Area reporter. From what I can see, she just links Rapaport's release/tweet of the news is all.

Can you link where Rapaport says the Broncos wanted Ryans instead? I'm just curious and surprised by that. And yes, I did look for it.

Look, I think Ryans is going to kill it with Houston, with the time to do so. But a better HC for the Broncos CURRENT situation, I'll take Payton all day. And I also don't believe he was their fall-back or 2nd choice, like Tristi is claiming.

To me, the Broncos likely had Ryans 1A and Payton 1B due to what they would have to give up to get Payton, which made Ryans a higher priority. But it didn't end up that way so they had to give up the picks to get Payton instead.
Could be, if they were looking down the road. And believe me, I'd take either. They've had incredibly bad coaching. But through it all, they do have talent there and the clock is ticking. Houston, not so much. Give it time, and all that draft capital, and we'll see if a first-time HC can right the ship (I think he will, btw).

But for now, the Broncos D is the one thing they don't need fixed. And they're clearly all-in on Wilson, like it or not.

In that situation, I will take a proven HC / offensive mind all day long. Yes, that means a rebuild eventually, but that's not where they're at right now. That's Houston.

Both teams got the best coaches suited for them, imo. And I'll believe it when I see it (actual proof) that Sean Payton was the Broncos 2nd choice.

The article is written by Tristi Rodriguez, a Bay Area reporter. From what I can see, she just links Rapaport's release/tweet of the news is all.

Can you link where Rapaport says the Broncos wanted Ryans instead? I'm just curious and surprised by that. And yes, I did look for it.

Look, I think Ryans is going to kill it with Houston, with the time to do so. But a better HC for the Broncos CURRENT situation, I'll take Payton all day. And I also don't believe he was their fall-back or 2nd choice, like Tristi is claiming.
When you see a tweet with a play button on it, you have to click it to make the video play.

FWIW I think given Broncos are stuck with Wilson for the near future, there is a synergy in that Payton will probably get more out of him. Used to a short QB,offensive coach, etc.

Though also true that giving picks for Payton further compounds the problem of not having capital to get good players in the future. I would have gone for Ryans first too just because of that cost.

When you see a tweet with a play button on it, you have to click it to make the video play.

ESPN article. Believe Tristi all you want, Payton was the Broncos first choice.

I mean, does it make more sense for the Broncos to go after a guy who's known for working with QBs, who they just spent a ton of money on. Or, go for a first-time HC -- which has blown up in their face repeatedly:

McDaniels, Studesville, Vance Joseph, Fangio, Nathaniel Hackett. I mean, laughably bad. All horrible, some beyond disastrous (Joseph and Hackett).

So Sean Payton ... OR, another first-timer, who focuses on DEFENSE (something they already have going for them).

Yeah, not buying Tristi's "scoop" that Payton was their 2nd choice. No way.

I mean, does it make more sense for the Broncos to go after a guy who's known for working with QBs, who they just spent a ton of money on. Or, go for a first-time HC -- which has blown up in their face repeatedly:

McDaniels, Studesville, Vance Joseph, Fangio, Nathaniel Hackett. I mean, laughably bad. All horrible, some beyond disastrous (Joseph and Hackett).

So Sean Payton ... OR, another first-timer, who focuses on DEFENSE (something they already have going for them).

Again, it was Ian Rapaport, on NFL Network. All Tristi did was quote the report and include the video which I've told you will play so you can hear it yourselif, if you click on the Play button on the tweet.

Believe Rapaport or don't. Tristi has nothing to do with this. Done on this topic.

A few thoughts:

I Think the DeMeco hiring is a good one. Even if he does not work out, the Texans were very competent in their search process. They fired Smith immediately, they had a good list of candidates to interview very quickly, and they followed the interview process until they zeroed in on the guy they wanted and made the hire. For the first time in about 3 years, it looked like a group of adults were running the Texans.

The complaints about the firing of Culley and Smith are the wrong complaints. The complaints should have been why did the Texans fail so badly in their hiring of these coaches. Firing them wasn't the problem, hiring people that no one else wanted was the problem.

I still don't have a definitive read on whether Casserio is a good GM or not. This year will be very telling. Casserio failed on his first two coaching hires but it was almost impossible to hire anyone who was in demand these past two years because of the s*** show the Texans were with the Watson/Easterby albatross hanging around their neck. Casserio gets a pass on the first draft because he didn't have a pick until the 3rd round. He gets a pass on his free agent signings the first 2 years because the Texans cap situation was so bad.

As to the 2022 draft, it was a mixed bag that has the potential to be very good. Pitre and Harris were very good picks and could be foundational pieces for the defense for years. Pierce was also a good pick IF the Texans get him some help in the backfield and don't run him into the ground. One of his strengths is he doesn't like to go down, but this causes him to take extra hits every time he runs the ball. Having a complimentary RB will help Pierce continue to be a battering ram in the backfield. Stingley was not used properly defensively so that hurst some of his production in his rookie year. But the knock on Stingley before the draft was whether or not he was an injury risk. Year one supports the view that he is. If he can get, and stay healthy, and is used more in man to man coverage, I think Stingley will be a great player. But if he remains injury prone, then Casserio blew a top 3 pick when he had an equivalent player without an injury history he could have taken. Green was a disappointment in year one. He still can become a good player, hopefully a new offense and new offensive coaches will help him develop. If he doesn't develop, that could be another pick that Casserio blew. Metchie, through no fault of the Texans lost a year due to health issues. If he becomes a contributing player, the 2022 draft becomes that much better for the Texans.

2, 12, 33, 65 and 73

-5 of the Top 75 picks, there are ways to turn that into 8-9 which i think you all need as many rookies as you can amass in the next 2-3 drafts. I would not worry about a QB right now. Oh you'll find someone to take snaps but this organization is not ready to handle a rookie QB taken #2 overall. Not IMHO. Too many holes and too much has happened, time to truly rebuild this team from the ground up. I would not hesitate to trade down with other teams willing to send you their "Single-Digit" 1st Rd pick with next year's 1st and another pick in this draft, likely a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick and load up the box. make this team strong from the inside out and then eventually you will either take a rookie QB and put him on a well built team that automatically increases his chances of success or you attract a QB that feels they can walk in and have immediate success.

So the d-line coach from the Cardinals hired as DC, there is a Robert Saleh connection between him and Ryans.

Kliff Kingsbury interviewing for OC today which seems surprising since he reportedly had no interest in interviewing for OC jobs. Maybe his off time in Thailand changed his mind?

Again, it was Ian Rapaport, on NFL Network. All Tristi did was quote the report and include the video which I've told you will play so you can hear it yourselif, if you click on the Play button on the tweet.

Believe Rapaport or don't. Tristi has nothing to do with this. Done on this topic.

Tristi or Ian, Tom Deer-in-the-headlights-Berger, Benjamin Franklin Al"bright?", or Bugs Bunny, I don't care.

It doesn't matter where the click-bait comes from, who's buying it? The part that's funny is how if it's written/stated, from wherever/whomever, it seems to be truthful...in the Shark Pool anyway.

Um, the Broncos new ownership, and that war chest, thinking yet another rookie HC would be the answer, ahead of Sean Payton, is humorous, to say the least. And of all holes to fill, a DC was they were looking for??? Please. That was literally the least of their problems.

Addressing the (failed, so far) investment in a franchise QB, with a coach that has a proven record, is the easy decision. IF, you can afford it. Well, guess what?

But no, Shark Poolers are all over Tristi and Ian or wherever else that SF click-bait comes from. That's the amusing part.

And now this (the last post above) . . . Um, no, I'm not believing that the Broncos brass were flocking to Jim Harbargh as a last ditch effort, before finally "settling" for Sean Payton.

So yeah, if you think the Broncos "pivoted" to Sean Payton, over those others, than believe what you want to believe.

Such desperation, their last and only choice, being the lowly Sean Payton. The story does sell though, to some.

Last edited:
The Houston Texans are expected to hire San Francisco 49ers pass-game coordinator Bobby Slowik as their new offensive coordinator, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Slowik, 35, hasn't called plays before in his coaching career and spent only the 2022 season as the 49ers' pass-game coordinator after serving as an offensive passing game specialist in 2021.

In other news, the Texans have agreed to a contract with Jerrod Johnson to be the team's quarterbacks coach, a source confirmed to ESPN. Johnson was the Minnesota Vikings' assistant quarterbacks coach this season.

Clint Stoerner had an interesting comment when they were discussing the Colts hire. He mentioned that Bryce Young seems like the best candidate for the kind of West Coast style offenses that Demeco and Bobby Slowik are coming from. While Stroud seems more like the fit you'd expect for Steichen with throwing it deep (Norv Turner system, Phillip Rivers, etc) and also more recently QB runs with Hurts.

On the subject of last year's draft... CBS ranked the rookie classes after their first year. Houston was #7. Ahead of them in order were: Jets, Seattle, Lions, Chiefs, Cowboys, Packers.

Houston Texans 2023 coaching staff​

NameTitle
DeMeco RyansHead coach
Matt BurkeDefensive coordinator
Bobby SlowikOffensive coordinator
Frank RossSpecial teams coordinator
Stephen AdegokeSafeties
Sean BakerAssistant special teams
Danny BarrettRunning backs
Ben BollingDefensive assistant
Jacques CesaireDefensive line
Shane DaySenior offensive assistant
Jarrod JamesOffensive assistant
Jerrod JohnsonQuarterbacks
Chris KiffinLinebackers
Nick KrayChief of staff
Bill LazorSenior offensive assistant
Ben McDanielsWide receivers/Offensive passing game coordinator
DeNarius McGheeOffensive assistant
Jake MorelandTight ends
Jake OlsonAssistant to the coaches
Cole PopovichAssistant offensive line
Chris StrausserOffensive line
Cory UndlinDefensive passing game coordinator
Dino VassoCornerbacks

The more I've thought about it the more I've soured of late on the option of adding a free agent QB and using the draft assets (trading down probably) to build the rest of the roster. Which means, rookie QB this year.

It's mostly that it feels like if we were going the veteran QB route that it's still too early to do so with where the roster stands. The ones I'd be ok with, would command too much money in 2023 which would just be thrown away essentially. The more I look at free agency this particular the year, the more I think we probably should be frugal and just bargain shop there while we bring in rookies via the draft. Keep the extra cash on hand for next year when hopefully it will be a little better set of free agents that won't see teams overspending. If Caserio can do as well as the last 2 years hunting up people like Malik Collins and Jerry Hughes for decent prices, that would maybe situate us to be able to really make a move next year then.

NFLPA had players grade their teams based on facilities, staff, etc, to create a report card to help free agents pick teams. https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Texans ranked 4th best and were top ten in every category, with the #1 training staff and travel ratings.

Overview​

The Houston Texans finished 4th in the team guide. Their team travel philosophy ranked the best in the league. On road games, they give the players plenty of room to be comfortable; and for home games, they allow veteran players to stay in their own homes instead of the team hotel. The biggest complaint among player respondents was that the Club is one of only two teams league-wide that does not offer either a steam room or a sauna. As one would expect for a team with ratings this high, 97% of the locker room believes the McNairs are willing to invest money into upgrading the facilities.

Ryan Burns
@FtblSickness

I would be sick to my stomach if I had to take a QB early this year and watch someone else take Caleb Williams a year later. Based on events to date, who do we think is positioning themselves for that?
--------------------
Ryan Burns
@FtblSickness
I'll say this: If I were Houston I honestly might try to kick the can down the road a year. Trade back for more picks or take my favorite defender and try to lose a ton this year. But that's a tough sell at this juncture I'm sure. And hey, maybe they get the guy who balls out.
JSS
@JScottShep
To me, there's only one non-scary QB prospect in this draft, one guy who would to top 5 in any year, and that's Stroud. You can dance around Bryce being 5'10" and 185 but you can't escape it, or fool yourself into thinking it's not a big deal for evaluators. It's a risk.
Ryan Burns
@FtblSickness
Stroud scares me plenty

Center Justin Britt released, $3m cap savings. Need a center now. (Needed one before the release too, but you know what I mean.)

I feel like it’s all but certain the Texans take Young if he slips or Stroud if someone jumps them, but I really don’t want that.

Yes, as a fan, the losing is exhausting. It stinks for us that Williams and Maye come in next year and we might be out of position to take one or the other, but this org isn’t ready to start the QB clock yet. Too many holes everywhere.

I’d rather we operate more like the Falcons did last year where we draft a QB later with possible upside and if he fails, you’re in position to get Williams/Maye next year.

For me that means the earliest I go QB is at 12 if Richardson or Levi’s slips and I’m willing to throw either to the lions and success just means we’re ahead of schedule vs failure sets me up for a franchise guy next year.

I’d wait and grab Hooker in the 2nd or wait even later and grab Bennett or Thompson-Robinson and roll with one of them + Mills for a year and otherwise surround them with OL/DL/weapons in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread