What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Hunter, Autry, Al-Shaair, Okuda defensive makeover (1 Viewer)

I think they are dialed in for QB, but obviously some concern someone trades up in front of us. Despite his size concerns, I don’t want any of the other QB’s other than Young unless it’s in the 3rd or later. Problem with Hooker is he may not play much in ‘23 coming off an ACL so you may not know what you’ve got this time next year.

My guess is QB at 1.02. I know most mocks have us going WR at 12, but I am hoping one of these freak Edge guys that ran yesterday are still there at 12. Could go WR at top of the 2nd or BPA for o’line or defense or TE and dream of Marvin Harrison Jr next year…

I think they are dialed in for QB, but obviously some concern someone trades up in front of us. Despite his size concerns, I don’t want any of the other QB’s other than Young unless it’s in the 3rd or later. Problem with Hooker is he may not play much in ‘23 coming off an ACL so you may not know what you’ve got this time next year.

My guess is QB at 1.02. I know most mocks have us going WR at 12, but I am hoping one of these freak Edge guys that ran yesterday are still there at 12. Could go WR at top of the 2nd or BPA for o’line or defense or TE and dream of Marvin Harrison Jr next year…
Young or Stroud?

Depends how high they rate these qbs. If high enough to have a franchise rating, then you don’t pass on that ever.

Yeah, similar feelings on Young. I just hope we don't have to trade up to get him. I'm still pissed about the late game heroics and that 'meaningless' win 🤦‍♂️

Depends how high they rate these qbs. If high enough to have a franchise rating, then you don’t pass on that ever.
Yes trying to “tank” for Caleb Williams can easily backfire. Just look at how Houston “blew” the No. 1 overall pick this year.

Titans ownership showing that the a****** doesn't fall far from the tree.

They are planning to wear Oilers uniforms in a home game this season. Jim Wyatt, beat writer in Tennessee has said he expect it to be their game against Houston.

Yes trying to “tank” for Caleb Williams can easily backfire. Just look at how Houston “blew” the No. 1 overall pick this year.

Yes, this is how I feel too. We ended up with the #2 pick, and had a tie and an overtime loss in there plus a game against Dallas that could have been a win. Could have easily ended up picking outside the range a QB would be available next year.

They are planning to wear Oilers uniforms in a home game this season. Jim Wyatt, beat writer in Tennessee has said he expect it to be their game against Houston.
Right?
It's not like the Ravens pull out the Browns uniforms and sport them around on Sundays

The Ravens gave up the Browns team history, even, and it was assumed by the new Browns franchise when they came on so it's considered their history.

Bud Adams refused to do that with the Oilers history. NFL should have made him, IMHO. The Oilers were lame duck on their way out of the city already when I moved to town for my first job out of college. They weren't my favorite team growing up though I'd liked those Earl Campbell teams. Still felt it was wrong to let them walk with the history though.

Yes, this is how I feel too. We ended up with the #2 pick, and had a tie and an overtime loss in there plus a game against Dallas that could have been a win. Could have easily ended up picking outside the range a QB would be available next year.

I agree as well, I just disagree that any of the guys this year are franchise guys outside of Young that are worth spending the #2 on. But I also don’t work for an NFL team in any capacity so what do I know?

With Richardson and Levis having solid combines though, I do think there is a chance that the Bears don’t end up trading #1 now though. If you are LV, Atl or Car, probably a good chance one of those guys lasts to your pick now or maybe you can move to #3 or #5 or #6 for a lot cheaper than #1. Gotta think Carolina might be most likely to move up since they are sitting at the back of the line. Edit: obviously one or more teams may fall for one guy and want to secure him, but just thinking 4 possible franchise guys vs 2 means less need to move up to #1 since the Texans are likely taking 1.

Last edited:

Sources tell CBS Sports there's a push within the [Texans] building to sign quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and play him in 2023 while drafting a quarterback at some point in the first round with the plan to sit him for the year and grow.

Houston picks at No. 2 and 12 with more than $40 million in cap space right now, so the Texans could easily fit their quarterback of the future into the team beside the quarterback of the now if it's Garoppolo.

The Texans hired Bobby Slowik from the Niners to be their offensive coordinator. Who better to execute that offense quickly and efficiently than a healthy Garoppolo, who knows the head coach and offensive coordinator from his time in the Bay Area and the general manager from his time in New England?

Garoppolo will have to want to go to Houston, though. A free agent, Jimmy G can pick his spot. The Jets are waiting on Aaron Rodgers and are hopeful he's going to give an answer any day now. The Raiders could have interest in Garoppolo. But those places would seemingly be the top landing spots.

If the Jets get Rodgers and the Raiders opt to go another route, the best remaining chair for Garoppolo would be Houston. The Texans could get him on a heavily-incentivized deal (due to his injury history) that they can get out of for little to no penalty after the season when their first-round quarterback has developed into a 2024 starter.

Wonder what Pocic would cost.

Free Agent Rank

Ethan Pocic
C · Age: 28
Flanked by outstanding guards and coached up by Bill Callahan in Cleveland, Pocic finished in the top five in both pass block and run block win rate last season, per PFF. He's earned a starting job somewhere, although the Browns should be most motivated to re-sign him.

CBS:
Injuries have kept Pocic, 27, from playing more than a single full season at the NFL level, but he's still racked up 53 starts in six years. Best of all, he's fresh off a sterling run as the anchor of the Browns' front, emerging off the bench as arguably Cleveland's steadiest blocker -- even next to All-Pros Joel Bitonio and Wyatt Teller. Pocic wasn't a heralded starter during his first five seasons in Seattle, and he doesn't have the name recognition of fellow free agents like Garrett Bradbury and Dalton Risner. But his presence was instrumental to Cleveland's Nick Chubb-heavy ground game, and he's proven he can also play guard.

Resigned center Scott Quessenberry. Claimed Jags QB EJ Perry off waivers (undrafted out of Brown). Giving us at least one center for now, and a 2nd QB besides Mills.

Resigned center Scott Quessenberry. Claimed Jags QB EJ Perry off waivers (undrafted out of Brown). Giving us at least one center for now, and a 2nd QB besides Mills.
Worst ranked starting center in the league last year .....

Worst ranked starting center in the league last year .....

Yeah I think this is just to have at least a backup on the roster.

Radio today was talking about both the free agent class and the draft class are kind of short on centers. They were talking about Pocic who I mentioned, sounds like he's likely to get $7m or a bit over, and talk he might return to Seattle which is where he was drafted. They mentioned there's about 4 centers that will probably go from rounds 2-5 but other than that there's not much.

Excited to see these throwbacks as the Oilers always had great uniforms, but they shouldn’t be allowed to do this vs Houston

The Texans have been fined $175,000 and must forfeit a fifth-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft for paying for a gym membership at The Houstonian for former quarterback Deshaun Watson while their team facility was required by the league to be closed during the pandemic.

Texans received a 7th round compensatory pick, number 259 overall. This wasn't because of players lost to free agency. There weren't as many qualifying compensatory picks as the total number they have to give out, so then they give out the extra picks to teams based on the normal draft order. There were two extra picks, so Bears and Texans got them.

I really hope Nick is smarter than I think he’ll be. Shop the #2 to every team afraid they are about to miss out. Bonus points if it’s the Colts.

I’d love to slide down a bit, grab another 2024 1st and then pick one of the 4 sliding QBs or a top defender.

It’d be fun to slide down a bit, grab Will Anderson, and pick up a 2024 1st and more. Think if we have 3 1st round picks in a better QB year next year to move up for Williams/Maye if we need to move up.

Have to be not too happy with the trade if you're the Colts.

Now you're looking at the Panthers and Texans taking QBs at 1 and 2 potentially. And there's a draft pick sitting there at pick 3 that another team could trade into to leap frog you if they really like a guy. Potentially leaving Colts with what could be their least favorite pick of the four top QBs.

Even worse if less likely case, the Texans pick up Jimmy G and then trade back, you could still end up with 2 teams leap frogging you to picks 2 and 3. So they might even have to give Houston extra draft assets to move up to #2.

I'm not utterly hating the trade. I think the difference between Stroud and Young is close enough in realistic odds of success that you could just about flip a coin. Yeah I'd rather they have their top pick. But with the trade happening, then Houston isn't giving up extra to move up which was the thing I most wanted to avoid.

Have to be not too happy with the trade if you're the Colts.

Now you're looking at the Panthers and Texans taking QBs at 1 and 2 potentially. And there's a draft pick sitting there at pick 3 that another team could trade into to leap frog you if they really like a guy. Potentially leaving Colts with what could be their least favorite pick of the four top QBs.

Even worse if less likely case, the Texans pick up Jimmy G and then trade back, you could still end up with 2 teams leap frogging you to picks 2 and 3. So they might even have to give Houston extra draft assets to move up to #2.

I'm not utterly hating the trade. I think the difference between Stroud and Young is close enough in realistic odds of success that you could just about flip a coin. Yeah I'd rather they have their top pick. But with the trade happening, then Houston isn't giving up extra to move up which was the thing I most wanted to avoid.

Yeah, I am glad the Texans didn’t trade up. Too many holes to give up picks, plus even better now I don’t have to read all those annoying click bait articles and mock drafts saying Houston JUST HAS TO TRADE UP. Obviously would have preferred we could have had the #1 and traded it for that haul, but much harder to pull the trigger on a deal like that when you have no QB yet.

Jimmy G signing with the Raiders. I wouldn't have objected to him at the price they got him.

Texans agreed to terms with QB Case Keenum (2 year deal).

DE Chase Winovich: The Texans have agreed to a deal with Winovich, the 6-3, 250-pound edge rusher, who last played for the Browns. He played in eight games last season for the Browns, and had 20 tackles and one sack. He was drafted to the Patriots in 2019, where he had 5.5 sacks in each of his first two seasons with the team. He’ll likely be one of the backups at defensive end.

RB Mike Boone: Boone, 27, joins Houston on a 2-year, $2.4 million deal with a $300,000 signing bonus after spending two seasons in Denver in which he rushed for 137 yards and caught 11 passes for 118 yards.

TE/FB Andrew Beck: The Texans will reportedly sign Beck to a two-year deal.

LS Jon Weeks: The Texans signed their longest tenured player to a one-year deal, $1.165 million deal.

Texans sign WR Robert Woods

The deal: Two years, $15.25 million ($10 million guaranteed)
Grade: B+
Signing Woods is a solid early grab in a shallow free agent wide receiver market. The Texans are about to have a new quarterback, which means it's both go-time for building the roster and that it's particularly critical to have competent receiver play to support the incoming young signal-caller. The team's best wide receiver, Brandin Cooks, requested a trade during the 2022 season and has said he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.
Woods is more solid than his 527 yards last year would suggest. Those numbers came in a run-first Titans offense, but Woods actually put up his best Open Score (71) since the Receiver Tracking Metrics began in 2017 (his Catch Score was also at a low (34) but Open Score is both more important and more stable). Last year was also his first back from a torn ACL suffered in November 2021, so Woods might improve with more time after that injury.
Locking in Woods for just $10 million guaranteed is a fine price in the modern (read: pricy) wide receiver market and ensures Houston doesn't get shutout from it. -- Walder

What this means for the 2023 draft: This signing likely doesn't take the Texans -- who own the Nos. 2 and 12 picks in April's draft -- out of the market for a young pass-catcher. With Cooks potentially on the way out and John Metchie III working his way back after missing his entire rookie season, they still have plenty of holes to fill. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State), Jordan Addison (USC) and Quentin Johnston (TCU) should all be options for Houston's second first-rounder. Adding a defender could also be in play as well. -- Reid

Signing WR Noah Brown from Dallas. Last year had 43 catches for 555 yards and three touchdowns in 13 starts.

49ers Safety Jimmy Ward. Two-year deal worth $13 million. He's got some injury history and is 32, but experienced in Demeco's scheme.

The Texans agreed to a one-year deal worth $4 million with DT Hassan Ridgeway. Run-stuffer, has very few sacks in his career. Played last year in San Fran, started 7 games.

Shaq Mason has an $8.5m salary and 1 year left on his contract. If they release Cann now they have him, that would recoup $4m of it. (Edit: reports they are indeed releasing Cann)

I love the move, almost no cost and our RG play has gone way up, plus potential if they want to resign him for longer and reduce the cap hit.

Last edited:
The Texans are still operating FA like Culley or Lovie as Bridget coaches are here. Are we significantly better at any position other than head coach?

The ripple effect problem I have is now the draft is even more important and Nick has yet to show he’s great at drafting. I think this is a big mistake and if he botched any degree of this draft, he needs to go.

Also, not making moves isn’t setting up the clock smartly for a would-be franchise QB. Starting the QB clock now based on what they’re doing doesn’t make sense. If we keep doing this and still draft a QB at 2, it screams novice.

I don't think this is the year for a spending spree. A few smart signings and hunt some values is the right move. It isn't like they are going to the playoffs, you just want some more pieces to help the young QB learn.

Got a smart veteran QB to be backup and help mentor.
Improved the offensive line, and I expect we'll see a center added in the draft.
Improved WRs compared to last year, and that's the case even if Cooks ends up gone. Plus, very likely they'll add another in the draft still, maybe with the other 1st round pick.

And are making a start on some improvements on defense with a veteran safety who can help mentor Pitre and Stingley.

This team isn't ready to go drop a ton on the big name free agents yet. If any slip through and get available for bargain prices, then great, but otherwise, I'm ok with this process.

I like the bargain hunting and depth signings, would prefer we landed one or two impact defender FA’s but I get the idea that making a big splash in FA rarely works out.

Patiently waiting to see if they address the elephants in the room though. (a) Cooks trade, (b) Tunsil’s salary demands and/or trade, (c) extensions for RT Howard or new RG Mason? A whole lot of cap tied up that I think is wasted if you keep all 3 of these o’line guys on one year contracts at their current numbers. Plus not sure you want to extend all 3 at the same time, that’s an expensive o’line even with a rookie QB contract. Roughly $75MM in cap tied up by Tunsil, Cooks, & Howard on a total rebuild, yeesh.

Did the fan base here have any preference at QB?
You sort of have to prepare for a rookie QB, yes/no?
I would say regardless of what the OL might or might not look like in '24, this year you need all you can get if you draft QB at #2.

Assume Stroud is gone at No 1?
Assume Tepper actually does take Richardson as some are reporting he's pondering or in deep thought about.
Does someone trade up to No 1 in order to play it safe with Stroud? Not sure the answer to that one.

Sheldon Rankins, DT​

NFL Network, which first reported the agreement, reports the deal is for one year and $10.5 million.

What it means: Rankins won’t have a steep learning curve for Ryans' defense since he played the past two seasons under Jets coach Robert Saleh. The Texans' and Jets' defensive schemes are similar since both are former defensive coordinators for the San Francisco 49ers. Rankins positively impacted the Jets run defense as the unit allowed 3.82 yards per rush, compared to 4.13 without him. The hope is Rankins can help a Texans run defense that allowed the sixth-most rushing yards for a single season (2,894 yards) ever last season.

What's the risk: Rankins turns 29 in April, and while the Jets' defense was better at defending the run when he was in the game last season, he hasn’t provided much production in the sacks department. In the past four seasons, Rankins has 9.5 sacks after posting a career-high eight in 2018 for the New Orleans Saints.

I think Stroud and Young are pretty even as prospects. I'm not hugely in favor of one over the other. Their pluses and minuses are different but overall I think they have about equal chances of turning out as successful franchise guys.

Did the fan base here have any preference at QB?
You sort of have to prepare for a rookie QB, yes/no?
I would say regardless of what the OL might or might not look like in '24, this year you need all you can get if you draft QB at #2.

Assume Stroud is gone at No 1?
Assume Tepper actually does take Richardson as some are reporting he's pondering or in deep thought about.
Does someone trade up to No 1 in order to play it safe with Stroud? Not sure the answer to that one.
I see it this way:
Young = Tua
Stroud = Goff
Levis = Lesser Matt Stafford
Richardson = Lesser Cam Newton

Yes, that means I prefer none of them this year and prefer to trade down at 2 and aim for Williams/Maye next year, but I doubt they do that.

I lieu of that, I’d pick Young and pray he stays healthy. If he goes #1, I really hope we trade down. No way in heck do the Texans deal with Watson’s agent (Stroud) in my opinion.

The releases of Cann, Reeves-Maybin and Addison save the Texans about $7.9 million in cap space, according to Over the Cap.

They will incur about $6.1 million in dead cap. The Texans entered free agency with the third-most cap space in the league at about $38 million. With all of their free-agent signings this week, that number is now estimated at $17 million, according to Over the Cap.

The Texans will use about $10 to $12 million for future draft picks, and hold an additional amount for in-season moves that result from injuries.

Houston will likely free up more money by cutting additional players, extending left tackle Laremy Tunsil and trading wide receiver Brandin Cooks.

The Dallas Cowboys are acquiring Houston Texans wide receiver Brandin Cooks for a fifth-round pick in 2023 and a sixth-round pick in 2024, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler and Adam Schefter.

Cooks restructured his contract Saturday so that Houston will pay $6 million of his salary this season and Dallas will pay the remaining $12 million, sources told ESPN

Last edited:
Houston Texans left tackle Laremy Tunsil has become the highest-paid offensive lineman in the NFL after agreeing to a three-year, $75 million extension, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

The deal includes a $30 million signing bonus with $50 million fully guaranteed and $60 million in total guarantees, sources said.

2 big items down. Imagine every mock draft that didn’t already have a WR penciled in at 12 will now. I’d rather have a pass rusher and maybe a pass catching TE at top of the 2nd but I get giving a new QB a new WR instead.

The Houston Texans made two major additions to their offense on Monday, agreeing to one-year deals with tight end Dalton Schultz and running back Devin Singletary, sources told ESPN.

Schultz's deal is worth up to $9 million, according to NFL Network, which first reported his deal. Singletary's deal is worth up to $3.75 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schultz, 26, will take over as the Texans' starting tight end. Jordan Akins had agreed to a contract with the Cleveland Browns in free agency, while O.J. Howard signed with the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday.

The signings are good gets heading into the draft. Schultz is the most legitimate TE we've had in years, and Singletary has been pretty solid throughout his career. Both positions were areas of need that we'd have been looking at in the draft, and even still could though now it won't be as urgent. More opportunity to take the best players available with a few other picks.

I hope Schultz works out and they can resign him.

Hmm, likely means no rookie TE and no Bijan (which was a longshot anyway) in the draft now. Seems a lock it will be a WR at either #12 or #33.

Not a fan of Singletary, they needed more of a pass catcher to replace old man Burkhead IMO. Singletary and Boone both seem just like meh depth, at least they're better than Ogun though.

Hmm, likely means no rookie TE and no Bijan (which was a longshot anyway) in the draft now. Seems a lock it will be a WR at either #12 or #33.

Not a fan of Singletary, they needed more of a pass catcher to replace old man Burkhead IMO. Singletary and Boone both seem just like meh depth, at least they're better than Ogun though.
Over the last 3 years Singletary has averaged 39 receptions a year, which I think is a pretty good amount, and he may get more opportunities in the west coast offense. Also, he is a good complement to Pierce, a big upgrade over Burkhead, and he can help keep Pierce fresh, which is necessary given the number of hits Pierce takes every time he runs the ball. It may not be a home run, but it is a good, smart signing, like the Schultz signing was. Good rebound for Casserio, after he totally screwed up the handling of Cooks.

Over the last 3 years Singletary has averaged 39 receptions a year, which I think is a pretty good amount, and he may get more opportunities in the west coast offense. Also, he is a good complement to Pierce, a big upgrade over Burkhead, and he can help keep Pierce fresh, which is necessary given the number of hits Pierce takes every time he runs the ball. It may not be a home run, but it is a good, smart signing, like the Schultz signing was. Good rebound for Casserio, after he totally screwed up the handling of Cooks.

Really thought they would bring in more of a pass catching specialist to be honest, but then again the offense is changing from what it was the last few years of course. Singletary seems more like a direct backup. Pierce had 30 catches in 13 games as a rookie so hopefully this means he will get even more going forward and they use Singletary to spell Pierce as you described.

Users who are viewing this thread