What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Stefon Diggs acquired. Hot Diggity (1 Viewer)

The Texans signed Denzel Perryman to a one-year deal.

What it means: Perryman isn’t far removed from his 2021 Pro Bowl season with the Las Vegas Raiders and help add depth to the defense. However, Perryman and Christian Kirksey are both middle linebackers, and Kirksey has a cap hit of $6.2 million, so the Texans can save up to $5.2 million if they release Kirksey with only $1 million of his deal being guaranteed.

The Texans are bringing in Corey Littleton on a one-year deal worth $2.2 million.

What it means: Littleton is an experienced linebacker having started 71 games in his seven-year career. His best season was in 2018 when he was named to the Pro Bowl and second team All-Pro for the Los Angeles Rams after finishing with 125 tackles. He also had career highs in sacks (4), interceptions (3) and pass defections (13) that season. This move gives the Texans a downhill linebacker who could help improve the run defense.

Last edited:
The Texans are signing former Dolphins center Michael Deiter to a one-year contract, a person with knowledge of the deal said Tuesday.

Deiter, 26, was a 2019 third-round pick by the Dolphins, a former All-American out of Wisconsin who played in 57 games while in Miami and started in 23.

That I keep getting annoyed every time I see a mock draft having us take a pass rusher at 12, makes me think I really want a WR there.

I don’t get the bashing on twitter over the veteran signings. I think Ryans is bringing in quality players at important positions, while locking up their best O-Lineman.

Steady veteran presence at receiver with Schultz & Bobby Trees, to go along with the heap of young players they’re about to bring in.

It shockingly resembles competence. Maybe they’re just not used to seeing that out of HOU.

Texans have done a lot of one year contracts and have guys with expiring ones as well. Hopefully if a few guys they brought in work out well they can resign them for decent deals if the team is moving in the right direction. Edit to add: They still have to pay a bit of a premium as they aren't really a destination, so keeping the contracts short seems to me to make sense. Though some of them are actually rather cheap, Schultz and Singletary, otherwise I think they maybe had to pay a little extra for others.

At present though they are on pace to have the most cap room next year. Effective 2024 cap room (which already takes into account stuff like this year's draft picks they'll sign) is $137m free next year. Pats and Titans are next closest with $119m available next year.

If they are likely to make a big free agency splash I think next year is probably going to be it. Though IMHO the team who everyone picks to have won free agency, rarely is near the top when you look back a year or two later on how their deals went. To 'win free agency' you have to get the top guys and you're paying top dollar, so odds are a lot won't live up to it. I think we're doing it right, show some restraint and finds some good values like Schultz when they don't go right at the start of free agency when they money is flying.

I mean, is anyone going to say by this point in free agency that the starting lineup to date isn't already better than last year, even before we start accounting for the 12 draft picks they still have to make this year, and 5 in the first 3 rounds?

Last edited:
Closing in on the draft I’m curious how many scenarios the Texans really have at 1.2. Are they truly just set on Young or Stroud and likely grab the one the Panthers don’t select (unless CAR surprises)?

Especially if the Panthers pick Young, I hope the Texans play the long game. We are not just a QB away. We need to find creative ways to beef up everywhere. If I was them, instead of one of these QBs up top, I’d rather we do something like this :

1.02 - Will Anderson - solidifies your porous DL along with FA signings

1.12 - trade down (unless Jalen Carter slides here as I’d find it hard to pass on him). Pick up a 2nd or 3rd to slide down a bit and then grab a weapon in this order : Bijan, JSN, Addison. Strongly prefer the first two

2.02 - Hendon Hooker - could trade up to the late 1st to get his 5th year option and can use the 3rd acquired in the 1.12 trade down or our own if needed to sneak up.

Picture coming out of the first round like this : Anderson, Bijan, Hooker vs what I suspect will happen : Young, Smith/Van Ness

I was actually just sitting here after seeing three mocks with Tennessee taking JSN, wondering if it would be worth trading up to 1.10 to get him.

I think they take a QB at #2 regardless. You just can't count on being in a position to take one in future years to pass up the top two here. Even if they aren't quite as sure thing as you'd want.

I was actually just sitting here after seeing three mocks with Tennessee taking JSN, wondering if it would be worth trading up to 1.10 to get him.

I think they take a QB at #2 regardless. You just can't count on being in a position to take one in future years to pass up the top two here. Even if they aren't quite as sure thing as you'd want.

What I wish would happen would be a move down from 1.2 for a king’s ransom like Chicago got, but I don’t see anyone desperate to move up now like Carolina was. I’ve come around to the notion that there is no guarantee you end up with a top pick next year and its exorbitantly expensive to move up for one so one of Young or Stroud is the way to go. I want no part of Richardson which means we’ll probably draft him. I think they’ve been locked in on QB at 2 from the beginning anyway.

I think it will be a WR at 12 as well. I wouldn’t begrudge them moving up a few spots for JSN if it was cheap, even though the time to trade up for a WR was last year and they screwed up staying put and let 3 teams trade in front of them then (and compounded it moving down for a guard and then overpaying to move up for Metchie.) The addition of Schultz even on a 1 yr deal makes me think TE is out so it will likely be BPA at defense at 2.02. Hopefully they can hit on another Pitre there.

What I wish would happen would be a move down from 1.2 for a king’s ransom like Chicago got, but I don’t see anyone desperate to move up now like Carolina was. I’ve come around to the notion that there is no guarantee you end up with a top pick next year and its exorbitantly expensive to move up for one so one of Young or Stroud is the way to go. I want no part of Richardson which means we’ll probably draft him. I think they’ve been locked in on QB at 2 from the beginning anyway.

I think it will be a WR at 12 as well. I wouldn’t begrudge them moving up a few spots for JSN if it was cheap, even though the time to trade up for a WR was last year and they screwed up staying put and let 3 teams trade in front of them then (and compounded it moving down for a guard and then overpaying to move up for Metchie.) The addition of Schultz even on a 1 yr deal makes me think TE is out so it will likely be BPA at defense at 2.02. Hopefully they can hit on another Pitre there.
The smart play, imo, would be Stroud at 2 and JSN at 12. Even move up from 12 if you have to, assuming you got Stroud at 2.

Closing in on the draft I’m curious how many scenarios the Texans really have at 1.2. Are they truly just set on Young or Stroud and likely grab the one the Panthers don’t select (unless CAR surprises)?

Especially if the Panthers pick Young, I hope the Texans play the long game. We are not just a QB away. We need to find creative ways to beef up everywhere. If I was them, instead of one of these QBs up top, I’d rather we do something like this :

1.02 - Will Anderson - solidifies your porous DL along with FA signings

1.12 - trade down (unless Jalen Carter slides here as I’d find it hard to pass on him). Pick up a 2nd or 3rd to slide down a bit and then grab a weapon in this order : Bijan, JSN, Addison. Strongly prefer the first two

2.02 - Hendon Hooker - could trade up to the late 1st to get his 5th year option and can use the 3rd acquired in the 1.12 trade down or our own if needed to sneak up.

Picture coming out of the first round like this : Anderson, Bijan, Hooker vs what I suspect will happen : Young, Smith/Van Ness
I’d bet on Hooker going top 24. Whether that’s the Ravens, Bucs, Vikings, lions…

I think Stroud and Young have about equal odds of being a franchise QB. Enough that I don't have a strong opinion on one over the other. I would really like JSN at 12 though.

Have seen a lot of mocks with Mayer falling into the 2nd round. While it would mean not as much defensive improvement this year, that wouldn't be bad to come out of the draft with both of them. Then if you don't resign Schultz it isn't as big of a deal. If you do, you've got two good TEs to work with.

But really I'm just good with BPA with the 2nd round pick. Get a center somewhere in the next round or two after that, and hopefully another corner.

Stroud’s numbers under pressure worry me a lot. I think I’ve convinced myself enough to not be as worried about BY’s size. It’s entirely possible it makes him Tua-like in that he might be really talented when available, but more susceptible to injury.

Something feels off with Stroud though. He had an amazing game against Georgia, but I fear that’s the outlier. I’m really hoping Carolina takes him as BY is worth the gamble at 1.2 to miss out on taking Maye/Williams next year. I fear the purgatory that selecting Stroud brings this team if Carolina goes with BY.

ESPN Insider article, best fits for playmakers, had this:

Marvin Mims to the Houston Texans

Height: 5-foot-11 | Weight: 183
College: Oklahoma
Where the Texans could get him: Round 3 (No. 65 overall)
Why he fits: With the expectation that Houston drafts a quarterback at No. 2 overall, DeMeco Ryans has to look for a wide receiver with big-play chops and run-after-catch ability. That's Mims, who can play inside or outside in a pro system. While his college route tree will need to expand against NFL defenses, Mims has the 4.38 speed to get over the top of safeties on vertical throws. His 20.1 yards per catch ranked third in the country last season.
Mims can also lift the secondary, opening up intermediate windows on schemed concepts. And with so many crossers and over routes in today's NFL, Mims can be set up to run away from man coverage. The Oklahoma product has the traits to complement Nico Collins and Robert Woods well in Houston.

The rumor that recently surfaced regarding the suddenly tenuous future of Texans G.M. Nick Caserio has expanded to include a rumor regarding his potential replacement.

Via Michael Silver of the San Francisco Chronicle, “the talk” is that the Texans would target 49ers assistant G.M. Adam Peters to replace Caserio.

That would pair Peters with former 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans, the new head coach in Houston.

For Caserio, the rumor is he’d leave the Texans to go back to New England.

The rumor that recently surfaced regarding the suddenly tenuous future of Texans G.M. Nick Caserio has expanded to include a rumor regarding his potential replacement.

Via Michael Silver of the San Francisco Chronicle, “the talk” is that the Texans would target 49ers assistant G.M. Adam Peters to replace Caserio.

That would pair Peters with former 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans, the new head coach in Houston.

For Caserio, the rumor is he’d leave the Texans to go back to New England.

Good, they should have fired him already to be honest. They should have brought in the new guy before the draft.

I’m increasingly concerned Caserio is going to outsmart himself yet again and overthink this draft. Hearing a lot of rumors that I don’t like. Keep it simple Nick. No need to appear to be the smartest guy in the room by swinging for the fences with early picks.

I’m increasingly concerned Caserio is going to outsmart himself yet again and overthink this draft. Hearing a lot of rumors that I don’t like. Keep it simple Nick. No need to appear to be the smartest guy in the room by swinging for the fences with early picks.
Agreed. Just like last year when he passed over Sauce for Stingley. I get the feeling he's going to pass on QB, but instead of taking Will Anderson he's going to do something like Tyree Wilson at 2.

I really want to get behind this team again. They just make it SO. DAMN. HARD.

Agreed. Just like last year when he passed over Sauce for Stingley. I get the feeling he's going to pass on QB, but instead of taking Will Anderson he's going to do something like Tyree Wilson at 2.

I really want to get behind this team again. They just make it SO. DAMN. HARD.

I am somewhat concerned as well. Been getting a lot of last years vibe where leading up to the draft it was all anyone talked about with Hutchinson or Thibodeaux and then all of sudden there were rumors at the last minute about Trayvon Walker maybe going #1. Seems similar to the early talk of Anderson vs Carter and now we are hearing about Tyree as maybe the first defensive guy.

I am not opposed to passing on Stroud if Young goes #1 but I sure hope it involves a move down as well instead of staying put and reaching on a different defender with “upside”.

Reality from Me

-No 2 pick sucks. You can spin it however you want but I guarantee Stroud/Young are not interchangeable on most draft boards that GMs have up in front of them.
-Carolina might take Young at No 1 overall which could be the reason they moved up from No 9 with almost 4 QB prospects in the early part of the Draft.
Why did they need to leapfrog everyone to get to No 1?
For a solid but not over the top prospect in CJ Stroud?
I actually believe he's(CJS) much better than folks seem to give him credit for, won't surprise me if he ends up Top 10 but that's me.

I think all of the Wide Receivers are foolish in the 1st Round, no reason to invest a top pick there, keep building out your OL and DL, that's what ultimately wins most of the time.
And I just want to say it's hard to care much for a team that has made the mess the Texans have the last couple years in the NFL. The owner should be on the clock or under the gun to either produce a winner or sell the team, this is a result of poor leadership, point the fingers wherever you must but this team is one I will never trust again.

I'm sure they come out of the Draft with a QB and WR and Trey Wingo or whoever will be there with anointing oils and proclaiming how well the Texans did this year.
Whoever they draft at QB and WR in the 1st Rd, odds are high they will be drafting to fill them again in 2-3 years, just my gut feeling when I size up the Draft.

-If they break protocol or step outside the box, trade down and take Carter/Anderson, go in another direction, then I would be impressed and know they are thinking ahead.
-The gut says they just want to be able to sell the seats and a new QB and WR they can plaster on posters everywhere is the only thing they can come up with right now.

I apologize to the Texans fan base,, what's left of them but it needs to be said.

Reality from Me

-No 2 pick sucks. You can spin it however you want but I guarantee Stroud/Young are not interchangeable on most draft boards that GMs have up in front of them.
-Carolina might take Young at No 1 overall which could be the reason they moved up from No 9 with almost 4 QB prospects in the early part of the Draft.
I actually believe he's(CJS) much better than folks seem to give him credit for, won't surprise me if he ends up Top 10 but that's me.

I think all of the Wide Receivers are foolish in the 1st Round, no reason to invest a top pick there, keep building out your OL and DL, that's what ultimately wins most of the time.
And I just want to say it's hard to care much for a team that has made the mess the Texans have the last couple years in the NFL. The owner should be on the clock or under the gun to either produce a winner or sell the team, this is a result of poor leadership, point the fingers wherever you must but this team is one I will never trust again.

I'm sure they come out of the Draft with a QB and WR and Trey Wingo or whoever will be there with anointing oils and proclaiming how well the Texans did this year.
Whoever they draft at QB and WR in the 1st Rd, odds are high they will be drafting to fill them again in 2-3 years, just my gut feeling when I size up the Draft.

-If they break protocol or step outside the box, trade down and take Carter/Anderson, go in another direction, then I would be impressed and know they are thinking ahead.
-The gut says they just want to be able to sell the seats and a new QB and WR they can plaster on posters everywhere is the only thing they can come up with right now.

I apologize to the Texans fan base,, what's left of them but it needs to be said.
If we assume the Panthers take Young and the Texans aren't sold on Stroud as a franchise QB, I think there is a fairly good chance they trade down. An intriguing trade would be with the Raiders, with the Texans getting a 1st next year and Garapollo, plus the Raiders picking up part of his salary. The Raiders get their future franchise QB, and the Texans get the best fitting stop gap QB with 3 1st round picks in 2024 to get a future franchise QB. The Texans could then use 7 and 12 to continue building their non-QB roster.

I believe the Texans want Levis. Not sure they want him at 2, maybe more along the lines of trying to get him with the 12th pick or using it to move up but I believe that's the QB they want, on assumption they can't get Young.

I believe the Texans want Levis. Not sure they want him at 2, maybe more along the lines of trying to get him with the 12th pick or using it to move up but I believe that's the QB they want, on assumption they can't get Young.
Yep. Levis is my biggest fear.

All the shenanigans the past 10-15 years makes me long for the Bud Adams days. I really hate this franchise lol.

All the shenanigans the past 10-15 years makes me long for the Bud Adams days. I really hate this franchise lol.

I have only lived in Houston(sugar land) for ~11 years or so, but there was a stretch where they had a winning record 7 out of 9 years. Current management does suck pretty bad though.

Maybe after bill obrien rehabilitates his image this year we can bring him back for stint #2, except keep him away from the GM decisions this time.

I have only lived in Houston(sugar land) for ~11 years or so, but there was a stretch where they had a winning record 7 out of 9 years. Current management does suck pretty bad though.

Maybe after bill obrien rehabilitates his image this year we can bring him back for stint #2, except keep him away from the GM decisions this time.
That’s a fools stat imo with how weak that division has been. Cal was happy with the banners so that’s really all that matters.

Reality from Me

If we assume the Panthers take Young and the Texans aren't sold on Stroud as a franchise QB, I think there is a fairly good chance they trade down. An intriguing trade would be with the Raiders, with the Texans getting a 1st next year and Garapollo, plus the Raiders picking up part of his salary. The Raiders get their future franchise QB, and the Texans get the best fitting stop gap QB with 3 1st round picks in 2024 to get a future franchise QB. The Texans could then use 7 and 12 to continue building their non-QB roster.

Atlanta is hosting Stroud for a visit, total dreaming probably but wouldn’t mind seeing us trade down with them for a Trey Lance type package. Move to 8 plus a 24 1st & 3rd plus a 25 1st. Can still get an excellent defender at 8 or move back up again like Miami did after the same Lance trade. At that point you might could also reach out to see if one of Lance or Love might be available for a conditional 3rd or maybe a 2nd. Or just roll with Mills to take the losses for another year. Mills might even look respectable again in the SF system under Slowik.

Edit: ATL was also in on the bidding for Watson last year so the front offices have been friendly before.

-Lance Z on EstablishtheRun's podcast said there is juice for Stroud but the building is split on him. Hannah and Cal are more involved in the ordeals but not to the point where it interferes with the scouting process.
-Lot of smoke of Caserio leaving being replaced by Adam Peters of the 9ers
-Lot of smoke that the Texans want to trade out of 2 and love Will Anderson. Also Levis might be their QB2 after Bryce.

Reality from Me

Atlanta is hosting Stroud for a visit, total dreaming probably but wouldn’t mind seeing us trade down with them for a Trey Lance type package. Move to 8 plus a 24 1st & 3rd plus a 25 1st. Can still get an excellent defender at 8 or move back up again like Miami did after the same Lance trade. At that point you might could also reach out to see if one of Lance or Love might be available for a conditional 3rd or maybe a 2nd. Or just roll with Mills to take the losses for another year. Mills might even look respectable again in the SF system under Slowik.

Edit: ATL was also in on the bidding for Watson last year so the front offices have been friendly before.
I'm missing where teams collect treasure and then move back up to secure a Top 5 player
Miami did it and that's a terrific example.
I am here to report that the Houston Texans fan base IS NOT DEAD!!!
One step ahead of the front office and ownership unfortunately but it warms the cockles of my heart ♥️

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but it shouldn't be a secret that Houston would like to trade down at this point.
If the Texans and their FO was hellbent on the No 1 pick this season, you can be sure they would not have beaten the Bears end of season....right?
:oldunsure:

I don't even know what to think at this point.

How likely is it the Stroud stuff are smoke screens by teams hoping he'll fall?

Slowik will be running a version of Kyle Shanahan’s west coast offense.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.c...b-accuracy-richardson-levis-stroud-young/amp/

The nuance of the above is west coast focuses on short and intermediate passing with high accuracy and low turnovers.

Spoiler alert on the turnover side, but we all know how Hooker did on that front in a good way his past two years.

What the above article does is help us see that on the other four. I think we know Levis and Richardson fall below the other two, but Richardson was abysmal. The interesting wrinkle is this is the area Stroud really struggled as well.

Piecing things together, only Young and Hooker’s historical performances fit the profile. I think that is especially why, if BY goes to Carolina, we see the waffling on what the Texans do at 2. It almost solidified it for me that if we aren’t taking Young, we might wait for Hooker at 33 or slide up later 1st to snag him.

I don't even know what to think at this point.

How likely is it the Stroud stuff are smoke screens by teams hoping he'll fall?
Well, rule 1, nothing you hear from a team is what they really think. Rule 2, see rule 1.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the sources are on things. If it's teams that are in the mix for a QB or who. Which makes it hard to decide how much shrift to give any given reports.

I'd take Young if he's there at two. I'd have had taking Stroud there ahead of trading down short of an amazing offer. Now I might be leaning more towards trading down than I had been though.

Thoughts on tonight? Unless they trade down my ideal first round would be Anderson or Carter at 1.2, more D or WR at 1.12 and then package a few picks to take Hooker late in the 1st.

Thoughts on tonight? Unless they trade down my ideal first round would be Anderson or Carter at 1.2, more D or WR at 1.12 and then package a few picks to take Hooker late in the 1st.

Similar, trade down assuming Young is gone at #1, if no trade then take Anderson, then BPA at 1.12 and 2.02 tomorrow. If no QB at all, ideally a trade of a 3rd or at least something not a 1st for Lance. I think I'd be okay rolling the dice on Hooker but depends on the cost to move up.

I realize the Texans may (are likely to?) blow the draft and make us all want to hang ourselves.

But isn't this kind of refreshing to see after all the time the Texans have been leapfrogged by teams who seemed to know exactly what they intended:

On Monday, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported how Houston was successfully keeping everybody guessing.

"No one has any idea what the Houston Texans are going to do," he said. "Literally no one except for (general manager) Nick Caserio and (head coach) DeMeco Ryans, which has led to rumors all over the place."

I would love it if Panthers pass on Young though don't see that happening.

I won't cause riots if they trade down, take Stroud or take Will Anderson. Not as much a fan of Tyree, after taking two injured guys last year. Not sure I like the other QB options other than getting Hooker really late. If one of the other QBs was at 12 I might consider them but would like JSN there.

I'd personally like to slide down a bit and pick Carter. I'd also entertain him at 1.02 based on what the scouts are saying. I think it's down to Wilson and Anderson and we will probably pick whichever is higher on our board. Even if Wilson is higher, his Lisfranc situation worries me just like Sauce vs. Stingley last year.

My bigger fear is what we do at 12. I'm worried one or more of these QBs slip and are available at 12. I think this crop is not worth it just like last year's group, and especially those that are likely to slide and be there at 12. Hopeful for Anderson/Wilson + JSN for the first round and then go from there on the rest.

If we pass on QB early, a player like Jake Haener could be a later round find for us while we likely find a more tier 1 QB in next year's draft. Will be most upset if we pick someone like Levis at 2. If we pick Richardson at 2, I think it'll be a mistake, but at least it'd be a "we're trying" signal. I fear Levis is fool's gold and screams, "watch this analytical oversmarting of all the other GMs."

Someone is gonna trade up to get ahead of IND. Whether it is HOU or ARI that trades the pick is the only question. Stroud's agent Mulugheta is also Deshaun Watson's agent. HOU can say all they want that it doesn't matter. It does. I think they go defense or trade out for a team that wants Stroud. Maybe TEN at #11.

Someone is gonna trade up to get ahead of IND. Whether it is HOU or ARI that trades the pick is the only question. Stroud's agent Mulugheta is also Deshaun Watson's agent. HOU can say all they want that it doesn't matter. It does. I think they go defense or trade out for a team that wants Stroud. Maybe TEN at #11.
Swing and a miss.

We still have two early 3rds and two early 4ths so potential to add some more pieces who could start.

I don't know it was a bad trade just in terms of I don't know that wasn't about what it takes to move from 12 to 3. Just not sure if it was the best move. If he turns out to be Khalil Mack then worth it. If not...

Well excited for Will Anderson, I wanted him at 2 instead of Stroud (hopefully I am wrong about Stroud.) The price to move up was slightly less than San Fran paid to move from 12 to 3 for Lance, the problem is they paid that price for a non-QB. It better have been Cleveland's pick or some sort of conditional whichever pick is later kind of thing. I appreciate the aggressiveness (where was it last year?) but gotta hit on those picks.

Still, I am thinking we would have been better off with Van Ness at 12 and keeping the rest of those picks though...

Users who are viewing this thread