What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Hunter, Autry, Al-Shaair, Okuda defensive makeover (3 Viewers)

GregR

Footballguy
With no sign of @coolnerd for a while, making a new thread for ongoing discussion of the Houston Texans to replace the 2021 thread.

Link to start of 2024 offseason

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX..aaaNNNNNNNNNaa..
XXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXO7
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7OOO
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOO
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7OOOOO
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:OOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX+OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+XXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNX+NNNN:XXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXX:NXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXOOOOOOO+
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOO7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXNNNNNNN+XXXXOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+XXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXX:OOOO:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXX7OOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOOO7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNXX+OOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNZXXOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNXX+

Team page
HoustonTexans.com

Stats

Pro-football-reference
ESPN

Depth charts:
ESPN
FBG

News and Fan pages
Battle Red Blog
ESPN
Houston Chronicle
Texans Talk
Toro Times

Last edited:
Preseason game against the Saints:

LB Blake Cashman seemed like he was always around the ball and making plays when he was in there with the 2nd string. Was drafted in 2019 by the Jets. Can't say I knew anything about him, but every time I looked up Saturday he was making a play.

Pierce looked very good at RB with the second string. Showed good vision and some ability to make guys miss, but also was getting upfield in a hurry.

Pitre was always around the ball as well with the first string.

Stingley Jr and Kenyon Green were held out, Stingley precautionary, and Green with a knee injury.

1st string offense looked bad. Like 13 net yards in 3 possessions if you offset yards lost to penalties.

So, don't want to rush to judgment on the rookies, and free agents who have been brought in.

But I have to say, the signs are pointing pretty positive for Caserio's moves at this point.

Pitre looks like he could be a quality player.
Dameon Pierce looks like he could be a quality player.
I'm going to be hesitant about saying much on Kenyon Green yet. But McCray looked better than Sharping at LG even, so likely upgrade there either way.
Stingley so far has been looking like he could hit that upside he was drafted for, though he's got a long way to go too.
Cann seems like an upgrade at RG.
Jerry Hughes showed in preseason he's still got some motor and should be a contributor.
A number of the young DL have showed some promise, though I don't know that they'll end up more than average to below average. Rivers, Lopez, Hinish, etc, have produced in preseason.
I also think with Dorsett, Conley and Moore they have some decent depth at WR. Though Conley was looking a bit ragged in preseason.

They may have taken a bigger step towards "competent" than I thought they would. Though I'm still probably going about 5.5 for their under-over. So much depends on Mills.

Here... been a little difficult to offer insight the last couple of years as I've been so disinterested in this team. I did think Kenyon Green had some promising moments in the game against SF. This OL could be much better in the run game than some realize. Love what I've seen from Pierce. Now Mack was just cut. I'd have no issue taking Pierce 4th/5th round area now... he's just as good a gamble as guys like Elijah Mitchell IMO...

Cosign with Houston TurmOiler. I haven't been paying a great deal of attention but refreshing to see a Texan climb up the ADP charts (Pierce). I'm really pulling for Mills and hope he takes the next step. Still think this team tops out at 5 wins partly due to a weak division.

I’m extremely pessimistic and have zero trust in the front office or faith in the coaching staff. I mean Hamilton had fallen so out of favor that he was coaching XFL just a few years ago. I do think the o’line could be much improved if they keep Tytus at RT, Green gets caught up and in there soon and Tunsil stays healthy. I don’t think they will be very good at run blocking other than they can’t be any worse than last year when they were dead last. I am not buying it with Mills but some folks have made compelling arguments in other threads that he shows a lot more on film than he did in the few games I bothered to watch last year.

If Jax manages to finally be respectable I am thinking 3 to 4 wins tops. I think Caserio has found a few nice pieces but also blown a few things like getting sniped on Williams and then trading up for Metchie, also converting Tunsil’s salary so we can no longer trade him from a cap standpoint. Keeping him around isn’t the worse thing and should help keep Mills or any future successor upright the next year or two though.

I’m honestly surprised they cut Mack and will actually turn to Pierce. I wish they’d have shed some of the former Pats like Burkhead instead and really try to usher in a new era.

Curious what we’ll do this year and feel we’ll blow our chance to draft high enough next year for what we really need by accidentally winning a little more than we should.

They need to fire the entire front office starting with Nick caserio and then anyone he hired.

They probably can keep the coaching staff in place for a year since the dumpster fire is not their fault, however next year the coaching staff needs to go as well.

They need to fire the entire front office starting with Nick caserio and then anyone he hired.

They probably can keep the coaching staff in place for a year since the dumpster fire is not their fault, however next year the coaching staff needs to go as well.
Unfortunately will have to fire the owner somehow first before he probably gets rid of Easterby and Caserio and their cronies. Lovie and the rest of the coaching staff are just holding a clipboard until the Front Office gets a shot at whoever it is they really want with a clean slate and out from under Watson and a lot of dead cap money. I sure hope it’s not actually Josh McCown

I think thus far Caserio hasn’t done a bad job. He did get Mills last year and Pierce this year but curious how his top round picks will fair over time.

However Cal and Easterby must go before and real significant change can be made. But I don’t think Caserio is outright a problem, especially relative to the others.

I agree that I think Caserio hasn't done that bad of a job so far. He didn't have much in the way of picks to work with last year, but did find a few decent players from free agency. This year's draft is so far looking like it might be a good haul. And while going through the Watson stuff was painful, they ended up getting more for him than people thought they would during most of that ordeal.

I'd still like to find a good up and coming coach. And yeah, getting rid of Easterby would be a good thing.

In another move Tuesday, the Texans traded 2020 second-round defensive tackle Ross Blacklock and a 2023 seventh-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings for a 2023 sixth-round pick.
To add insult to injury, Blacklock has the distinction of being the player drafted with the pick we received in exchange for Hopkins. He started 3 whole games in 2 years. Way to go BOB.
It's pathetic to scan the transactions of the last few weeks and notice how many former Texans are easily cast aside by other teams..... many of whom were supposed to play key roles here and be cornerstones.

BOB made me so apathetic I forgot I had a hometown team I'm supposed to root for. Cal reinforced it by sitting in his owner's box ordering off the children's menu and coloring outside the lines with his complimentary crayons. It's hard to rebuild interest, other than fantasy football implications...

In another move Tuesday, the Texans traded 2020 second-round defensive tackle Ross Blacklock and a 2023 seventh-round pick to the Minnesota Vikings for a 2023 sixth-round pick.
To add insult to injury, Blacklock has the distinction of being the player drafted with the pick we received in exchange for Hopkins. He started 3 whole games in 2 years. Way to go BOB.

Essentially our only positive impact from the trade, was drafting Roy Lopez with a 6th round pick that came from the trade, and one of the picks was used to move up to get Nico, who the jury is still out on.

I agree that I think Caserio hasn't done that bad of a job so far. He didn't have much in the way of picks to work with last year, but did find a few decent players from free agency. This year's draft is so far looking like it might be a good haul. And while going through the Watson stuff was painful, they ended up getting more for him than people thought they would during most of that ordeal.

I'd still like to find a good up and coming coach. And yeah, getting rid of Easterby would be a good thing.

Easterby was the guy I was thinking of. All the kids that go to school with my kids wear astros jerseys, my daughter says that hardly anyone wears texans gear.

The texans are difficult to follow even for a local like me that loves football.

I’m honestly surprised they cut Mack and will actually turn to Pierce.
Who is the third string, Freeman?
On GameDay I'd assume it's Pierce, Burkhead, and then Freeman. If there was an injury I'd guess Mack would be elevated and be 2nd behind Pierce, but that's just my own opinion. I still like Mack as the handcuff to Pierce if I were looking to go that route with my roster, but no one on the team has stated that's the case to my knowledge....

My thoughts on the Texans heading into 2022:

Positives:
  • BOB/Tim Kelly offense and complicated blocking scheme is now gone. If nothing else does, I think this will improve the running game, as the lineman will now have some idea of what they are supposed to be doing.
  • The line has added Tunsil (back from injury) and Green, and has moved Howard back to his more natural tackle position. This, combined with the addition of a decent line coach in George Warhop, should make the line at least respectable, barring injuries.
  • I think Nico Collins will get a lot of targets and be a great possession receiver compliment to Brandin Cooks. I think Brevin Jordan also could take a step up, although we didn't see too much out of him in the preseason.
  • Dameon Pierce looks like he could be a really good RB.
  • Defense will be starting rookies Stingley and Petrie, who could end up being really good, but of course will have some rookie growing pains.
  • The addition of Jerry Hughes and some other rotational players to the defensive line means the Texans will likely put more pressure on the opposing QB's which will hopefully lead to more sacks and turnovers. Lovie Smith's defenses, in 15 years as DC or HC, has finished in the bottom half of takeaways only once. They have finished 1st in takeaways 3 times. For as bad as the Texans defense was last year, they still finished 10th in takeaways. I think they should rank higher this year.
  • Lovie Smith brings some competence back to the coaching position. Culley was a trainwreck and even though they almost hired Josh McCown (which would have been a disaster), they ended up with Lovie who has shown he can lead winning teams in the NFL
Negatives:
  • Davis Mills is still a question mark. While he put up some decent numbers for a rookie, he hasn't shown a whole lot in the preseason indicating he is going to take a step up. If Mills doesn't improve, the Texans could be in for a long season.
  • No real star players on this team (yet). While Cooks is a good WR, he is pretty far down the list of number 1 receivers. They are paying Tunsil like a pro bowl tackle, but he really hasn't shown it yet. Stingley, Petrie, Collins, and Pierce, all could become stars, but they are rookies and second year players who haven't shown it yet.
Last year we knew the Texans were going to be bad with a bad roster and an unproven coach who turned out to be terrible. This year the Texans have a questionable roster which could be bad or good, and a coach who at least has had success at the head coaching position. I think MIlls and the other young players mentioned will struggle at times which will lead the team to a losing record. I do think they will be in a lot more games and will end up at 6-11.

One final point: I think this season will show us a lot we need to know about whether Casserio should be here long-term. If his draft picks show promise, then I think he earns himself a couple more seasons. If the draft picks flounder, then it may be time to start over at coach and GM with a promising amount of draft capital over the next two years. If Casserio does start to turn things around, I then hope Cal realizes Easterby does not need to be on the Texans anymore and lets him go. If that happens, then McNair will show he is starting to learn how to be an owner.

Last edited:

Positives:
  • BOB/Tim Kelly offense and complicated blocking scheme is now gone. If nothing else does, I think this will improve the running game, as the lineman will now have some idea of what they are supposed to be doing.
  • The line has added Tunsil (back from injury) and Green, and has moved Howard back to his more natural tackle position. This, combined with the addition of a decent line coach in George Warhop, should make the line at least respectable, barring injuries.
  • I think Nico Collins will get a lot of targets and be a great possession receiver compliment to Brandin Cooks. I think Brevin Jordan also could take a step up, although we didn't see too much out of him in the preseason.
  • Defense will be starting rookies Stingley and Petrie, who could end up being really good, but of course will have some rookie growing pains.
  • The addition of Jerry Hughes and some other rotational players to the defensive line means the Texans will likely put more pressure on the opposing QB's which will hopefully lead to more sacks and turnovers. Lovie Smith's defenses, in 15 years as DC or HC, has finished in the bottom half of takeaways only once. They have finished 1st in takeaways 3 times. For as bad as the Texans defense was last year, they still finished 10th in takeaways. I think they should rank higher this year.
  • Lovie Smith brings some competence back to the coaching position. Culley was a trainwreck and even though they almost hired Josh McCown (which would have been a disaster), they ended up with Lovie who has shown he can lead winning teams in the NFL
Negatives:
  • Davis Mills is still a question mark. While he put up some decent numbers for a rookie, he hasn't shown a whole lot in the preseason indicating he is going to take a step up. If Mills doesn't improve, the Texans could be in for a long season.
  • No real star players on this team (yet). While Cooks is a good WR, he is pretty far down the list of number 1 receivers. They are paying Tunsil like a pro bowl tackle, but he really hasn't shown it yet. Stingley, Petrie, Collins, and Pierce, all could become stars, but they are rookies and second year players who haven't shown it yet.
Last year we knew the Texans were going to be bad with a bad roster and an unproven coach who turned out to be terrible. This year the Texans have a questionable roster which could be bad or good, and a coach who at least has had success at the head coaching position. I think MIlls and the other young players mentioned will struggle at times which will lead the team to a losing record. I do think they will be in a lot more games and will end up at 6-11.

One final point: I think this season will show us a lot we need to know about whether Casserio should be here long-term. If his draft picks show promise, then I think he earns himself a couple more seasons. If the draft picks flounder, then it may be time to start over at coach and GM with a promising amount of draft capital over the next two years. If Casserio does start to turn thinks around, I then hope Cal realizes Easterby does not need to be on the Texans anymore and lets him go. If that happens, then McNair will show he is starting to learn how to be an owner.
And I have put my money where my mouth is as I have bet on the Texans to win more than 4.5 games

Positives:
Negatives:

One final point: I think this season will show us a lot we need to know about whether Casserio should be here long-term. If his draft picks show promise, then I think he earns himself a couple more seasons. If the draft picks flounder, then it may be time to start over at coach and GM with a promising amount of draft capital over the next two years. If Casserio does start to turn thinks around, I then hope Cal realizes Easterby does not need to be on the Texans anymore and lets him go. If that happens, then McNair will show he is starting to learn how to be an owner.
Helluva post brother. Damn good write-up 👍

It's hard for me to remember the Texans hitting on a pick after the 1st round in the past decade or so. Seems like they're always cut or traded for scrap a few years later...Crossing fingers the curse of BOB doesn't effect our 2021/22 haul.

On Wednesday, Houston claimed just one player as all teams went through the waiver wire process, and that player was former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Tyler Johnson.

While Johnson was a casualty of the 53-man roster deadline, he is seen by many as a young wideout with potential who got pushed down a loaded depth chart that includes Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Russell Gage and Julio Jones.
The Minnesota product was originally selected by the Buccaneers in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. Johnson was named first-team All-Big Ten in both of his final two collegiate seasons after putting up over 1,100 receiving yards in both campaigns. He caught 12 touchdowns as a junior and 13 as a senior. In 31 career NFL games with six starts, Johnson has caught 48 passes for 529 yards and two touchdowns. His best outing came last year against the New Orleans Saints on Halloween, as he caught five passes for 65 yards.

I like the Johnson move. We're slowly building assets, but I still wish we had put more emphasis on offensive weapons in this draft than we did. I think we will be a middle to bottom team this year and I suspect we might draft a QB high next year if so, even if Mills looks ok. If CJ Stroud is there, you almost have to run at that talent without much question. The challenge will be we didn't build the assets up around him and fear we'll be more on the Jets' schedule where they got Wilson, struggled, and then in this draft had to finally get some weapons. I wish we'd have just seen that likelihood coming and sped ourselves up a year or more in doing so.

The Texans are signing tight end O.J. Howard, a person with knowledge of the transaction said Thursday. Howard, a 2017 first-round pick by the Buccaneers, now joins a major position group of need for the franchise.

Howard was released by the Bills on Tuesday. He visited the Bengals Wednesday, and after Cincinnati claimed former Patriots tight end Devin Asiasi, Howard worked out with the Texans on Thursday.

I don't know if he'll work out, but TE is a position of need for us. Especially as they are supposed to be important in the offensive system Pep Hamilton wants to run.

The Texans are signing tight end O.J. Howard, a person with knowledge of the transaction said Thursday. Howard, a 2017 first-round pick by the Buccaneers, now joins a major position group of need for the franchise.

Howard was released by the Bills on Tuesday. He visited the Bengals Wednesday, and after Cincinnati claimed former Patriots tight end Devin Asiasi, Howard worked out with the Texans on Thursday.

I don't know if he'll work out, but TE is a position of need for us. Especially as they are supposed to be important in the offensive system Pep Hamilton wants to run.
I think it's interesting if he's a good run-blocker like I've read several places. Could be another plus along with an improved OL for Pierce...

When Uvalde High School plays its first home football game since the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School that killed 19 students and two teachers in May, it will be outfitted in new gear — from jerseys to shoulder pads to mouthpieces — provided by the Houston Texans.

Texans linebackers Kamu Grugier-Hill and Christian Kirksey and coach Lovie Smith made the trip to Uvalde, located about four hours west of Houston, and surprised the players at their team dinner Thursday night. Then, they stuck around for an even bigger surprise Friday morning in a live shot with ABC’s "Good Morning America."

While Uvalde coach Wade Miller and team captain Justyn Rendon, who was picked to wear No. 21 to honor the 21 victims in the mass shooting, were talking to Houston native Michael Strahan on "Good Morning America," the Texans broke out the team's new equipment.

"I'm lost for words with that. It's unexpected," said Rendon, whose team won its season opener by scoring 21 points last week at Carrizo Springs.

In June, Texans players started a pool and came up with $200,000 to donate to the Robb School Memorial Fund, which provides financial assistance to the community. Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair and his wife Hannah matched that figure and the team sent $400,000 to Uvalde.

The Texans made yet another move with two players who are becoming quite familiar with the transaction wire. The franchise signed wide receiver Chris Conley to its practice squad Monday, and the team released running back Marlon Mack to create room for the acquisition.

When Houston Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair answered questions from fans on Reddit on Wednesday evening, he broke some news when he wasn't poking fun at himself.

A Redditor asked if the team had "any plans to do a jersey swap (especially for one particular player) for a free/discounted jersey of another player?"

Although the fan didn't mention any players by name, it's not hard to read between those lines and see someone who would like to rid themselves of their Texans' Deshaun Watson jersey.
"Yes, we will do this in October so stay tuned for details!," McNair posted on Reddit.

The New England Patriots made a similar move in 2013 when they allowed fans to trade in any Aaron Hernandez jerseys purchased from the team shop or online store for another player's jersey of comparative value. Hernandez was indicted on a murder charge earlier that year and convicted in 2015.

Colts game thoughts:

Mills accuracy was an issue in the game I thought. Also I kind of want to watch the broadcast for a better feel, but thought holding the ball too much was also an issue. I can't really say if that was play call/design, people not being open, or what though.

O-line looked decent in first half, not as good in second. Didn't really pay attention to who did well and who didn't.

Defense looked good in first half, but D-line just wasn't there in second half. I felt like they changed their defense play calls and went 4 rushers most of the time and suffered for it. Again, impression that could use watching the broadcast and focusing on it specifically.

Hughes looked good. Stingley had a great touchdown saving pass defense. Nelson had a good play on deep pass, but got burnt for a touchdown.

How did I leave out Pierce. I realize the carries he got, we didn't get results like we saw in preseason. But I was disappointed that he wasn't featured more than Rex Burkehead. I don't know how they feel about Pierce in pass protection, but I'd have liked to see the load favor Pierce 2:1 while we figure out what he is. 9 carries aren't enough. Felt like they meant to go with him more early but then went back to what they were familiar with as they got into the game.

Man, did Lovie ever show he is just holding a clipboard until someone better comes along.

Denver looked so unprepared and the coaches so out of their depth last night, I’d actually say Houston has a good chance at a win this week though.

Was dealing with stuff during the game so didn't get to watch closely. Interested to hear people's takes.

Listened to the radio program, from what I recall, lots of inaccuracy issues still although Mills wasn't helped out by a few drops by the WR's. Cooks dropped a for sure TD at one point for example.

Listened to the radio program, from what I recall, lots of inaccuracy issues still although Mills wasn't helped out by a few drops by the WR's. Cooks dropped a for sure TD at one point for example.

Yeah, that Cooks drop was horrendous but he was all over the place for most of the game. Arm strength is another real concern. On the positive side, he's good at not throwing interceptions.

Mills is just not fun to watch play QB. It's like Trubisky without any running ability. He'd look better wearing a cap and holding a clipboard for a hotshot rookie QB next year.

What’s frustrating is we saw this coming. We knew we wouldn’t be good and would likely be picking high next year which most likely meant a top tier QB.

It’s one more reason I was doubling down during the draft on getting weapons this year. Now we’ll need both a QB and weapons and we should have spread that out.

Can we all agree Mills is not it now? I really wish we’d drafted weapons now. We need everything on offense next year, starting with a QB.

I think we should trade Cooks to the highest bidder to stash a few more picks. This WR class is shaping up how I thought it would and wish we’d gotten one of the first rounders, but at least rectify things by getting something for Cooks and look to the future.

Yeah, that Cooks drop was horrendous but he was all over the place for most of the game. Arm strength is another real concern. On the positive side, he's good at not throwing interceptions.

I take that back. Some really costly turnovers today :poop:

It's almost like these teams are playing their worst football against us yet the Texans still find a way to lose (or tie). Such a frustrating franchise to watch for the past 20+ years.

Can we all agree Mills is not it now? I really wish we’d drafted weapons now. We need everything on offense next year, starting with a QB.

I think we should trade Cooks to the highest bidder to stash a few more picks. This WR class is shaping up how I thought it would and wish we’d gotten one of the first rounders, but at least rectify things by getting something for Cooks and look to the future.
Unfortunately they structured Cooks extension (and have restructured it since) that it’s a massive hit to trade him. Same with Tunesil too :kicksrock:

I take that back. Some really costly turnovers today :poop:

It's almost like these teams are playing their worst football against us yet the Texans still find a way to lose (or tie). Such a frustrating franchise to watch for the past 20+ years.
They need to really blow it up. The franchise needs an exorcism. Change the team name to something less generic, change the uniforms, and ship out every veteran worth anything and go youth movement.

Yup, that also includes Cooks and his hit too. It was a really dumb decision to extend and they shouldn’t double down on stupid now. It’s a dunk cost, just eat it and move on.

Clint Stoerner (he's on the local sports radio) was talking about the stuff he saw breaking down the all-22 footage. It was very good. He got asked by the cohost if having better weapons would make a difference (which made me think about the comments earlier here). His answer was no. Would having a better roster help, well sure. But the things Mills was doing poorly weren't because of a lack of receivers being open. Throwing the ball late, or not recognizing a favorable matchup against the defense they were playing and checking it down to Pierce (which actually worked out ok that play) when a QB should have trusted Cooks long enough to let him make his cut and he'd have been in a weak spot in the defense.

He's not looking as good as a capable NFL QB should be with the guys he's got, so he doesn't think loading him up with weapons would really change that he's not the answer.

I also think I'd rather build up the important pieces (OL, corners and pass rush) first this year for a young QB and then give him weapons later or at the same time. Than draft them a year ahead of what we hope/assume will be an early 1st QB. I preferred going LT with the #3 pick but if you get a shutdown corner (and Stingley might be that) then it's still the great use of a pick given our needs.

I still believe the plan has always been sucking bad enough for a top QB pick. I guess the hope is Cooks and Tunsil are a bridge to future youngsters to fill those spots in 2-3 years and be protection/weapons for a CJ Stroud or a Bryce Young their first couple of seasons. Would have preferred trading Tunsil and Cooks for additional picks next year though as they will be at the end by the time the rebuild is done. With so many LT's going down could have pulled a 1st + another pick for Tunsil easily had they not restructured his contract.

Early on looks like it's us and Seattle in the running for #1 overall with Atlanta not far behind (i assume the Raiders will pick it up.) All 3 need QB's, someone may end up with a steal in Will Anderson. Hopefully Cleveland drops more games as I would like a pick in the teens to maybe add a top corner prospect across from Stingley or a WR to pair with Cooks (highly doubt anything ever comes from Nico or Metchie.) Petrie is looking like a real gem, even Green is looking pretty decent after only 2 starts on o'line (3rd best PFF grade on the line already.) Assuming another high pick in 2024, maybe you can land a pass rusher then and whichever out of corner/WR we don't get in 2023 with Clevelands pick.

A little disappointed I turned off the game at halftime. Didnt like anything I saw aside from Pierce. I thought Lovie might have improved the defense but they looked like fools gold against their first capable offense. Any glimmers of hope in the 2nd half?

Users who are viewing this thread