What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Believable is This? Music question. (1 Viewer)

How believable is it that a 45 year old American man has never heard the song "You Spin Me Round"?

• No way. Impossible.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • I guess it's possible. Very weird but possible.

Votes: 46 37.7%
  • I can see it happening. A little odd but not crazy.

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Very believable. Not strange at all.

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Totally believable. I've never heard it either.

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

McJose

Footballguy
How believable is it that a 45 year old man has never heard the song "You Spin Me Round (like a record)" by Dead or Alive?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

The man in question:

• Born and raised in California
  • Not deaf
  • Hetero for the most part
  • Does not live in a cave
  • Not Amish
  • Went to college
  • Enjoys listening to popular music as much or more than your average American (actually a rock musician himself)

Can we clarify...are you asking if such a person can actually have never heard it? Or does this person just claim they never heard it before?

Can we clarify...are you asking if such a person can actually have never heard it? Or does this person just claim they never heard it before?
This person (an actual real human) claims he has never heard this song before.

A 45 year old would have been 11 years old when the song was originally released in 1985.  That's a bit young for some to be wired into pop culture.

It was a hit in the USA but not as huge as it was in Britain.

A 45 year old would have been 11 years old when the song was originally released in 1985.  That's a bit young for some to be wired into pop culture.

even if the kid was an Amish Mormon, he's gonna hear that song at some point.  

Hogwash, I say.  HOG WASH.

I say possible only for the fact, that some people immediately turn the station when they hear a certain type of song come on. 

My BIL is a redneck--pickup driving. gun loving hick. I caan guarantee any song that isn't country comes on, he is turning it off after the first note. 

Maybe our imaginary guy the OP is referencing hears that "Dum, da Dum da Dum" first beat of the song and turns the channel. 

I say possible only for the fact, that some people immediately turn the station when they hear a certain type of song come on. 

My BIL is a redneck--pickup driving. gun loving hick. I caan guarantee any song that isn't country comes on, he is turning it off after the first note. 

Maybe our imaginary guy the OP is referencing hears that "Dum, da Dum da Dum" first beat of the song and turns the channel. 
Oh he's real alright.  

may have heard it back in the day but made no impression on him.  I'm sure there are lots of songs I've heard that I wouldn't recognize by title, artist , or hearing it.

Maybe he knows the song but just didn't know the song was called You Spin Me Round. Kind of like how Bohemian Rhapsody isnt mentioned 

There's a poster on this website that alleges he's never even heard of the Allman Brothers.  I don't believe him since he went to school in Eugene but there just might be some people around our age who were either very sheltered or never listened to music or both.  

I met a woman the other day, probably about the same age, who claimed to have never heard of Captain Morgan rum.

I didn't believe her either.

Just found out this weekend that one of our regulars here from the Metro Detroit area had never heard The 4 Tops song Bernadette so I suppose anything is possible. 
Not sure if this is really only questionable because he is from MoTown or if it is because everyone should be familiar with that song, but I was only recently exposed to it myself.  So, if that is a measuring stick, I would vote "I could see it happening, a little odd but not crazy."

I met a woman the other day, probably about the same age, who claimed to have never heard of Captain Morgan rum.

I didn't believe her either.
This seems more likely than Tanner’s scenario, IMO.  I know several non-drinkers and they seem to know very little about brands.

Not sure if this is really only questionable because he is from MoTown or if it is because everyone should be familiar with that song, but I was only recently exposed to it myself.  So, if that is a measuring stick, I would vote "I could see it happening, a little odd but not crazy."
It’s a heck of a lot better than Spin Round Like a Record or whatever

I bet tons of kids growing up on some Iowa/Wyoming/Montana farm/ranch where dad plays drums in The Wild Willie Trio grew up never listening to soul, R&B, jazz, blues, MoTown. 

I know I could list a ton of songs nobody here has ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet tons of kids growing up on some Iowa/Wyoming/Montana farm/ranch where dad plays drums in The Wild Willie Trio grew up never listening to soul, R&B, jazz, blues, MoTown. 
Pete Burns was a big fan of the Wild Willie Trio

I’ve never heard “Spin You Around”, or “Bernadette”.

:unsure:

56 - Born and raised in Michigan

Not deaf

Hetero

Lives in NYC

Not Amish

Went to college

Loves music

Never saw “The Wedding Singer”

Users who are viewing this thread