What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How can NBC have Matt Millen on pre-game show? (1 Viewer)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, before Millen embarassed himself as a GM, he was a great color analyst. This was and hopefully will be his true calling.
To this day I would still say Millen is the best NFL color guy I have ever heard. The Fords have made him so filthy rich that I doubt he has much incentive to to it again, but I would love to see him back in the booth.
How many have you heard? Two?This guy was the original Madden rip-off artist, and a pisspoor one at that. All he used to do was say how he loved the tough guys and "that's the kind of guy I'd have on my team" (we saw what kind of guys he'd really get). Get back in line behind Siragusa, Boselli, and all the other buffoon analysts.

I can't believe people defend this idiot. I hope anyone doing so is just playing devil's advocate. Either that, or you no nothing about the mental midget that is Matt Millen.

If this guy gets another gig, I'll have to reinforce my mute button. Otherwise my rage will leave me with a lamp-sized hole in my TV.

He's actually pretty good on camera. It's hard to take what he says seriously given what a failure he was as a GM, but I don't think you have to be a successful GM to be a successful commentator. Maybe he can build some credibility.

he was good in the booth, he'll probably be good in the studio. no problems here.Millen was a bad executive, he still knows the game from a player's perspective very well.
what he said
I agree with this too. But he has such a negative reputation that I'm not sure he will be able to overcome that.
His negative reputation only comes from those who harbor the past... He did nothing illegal or foul in terms of the law."Some" people should just let it go.

Last edited by a moderator:
he was good in the booth, he'll probably be good in the studio. no problems here.Millen was a bad executive, he still knows the game from a player's perspective very well.
what he said
I agree with this too. But he has such a negative reputation that I'm not sure he will be able to overcome that.
His negative reputation only comes from those who harbor the past... He did nothing illegal or foul in terms of the law."Some" people should just let it go.
Yep. 0-16 and 8 years of garbage is all in the past. Calling J. Morton a ###### is in the past. Ducking reporters for 8 years and not accepting responsibility for his incompetence is in the past. Collecting $5 million a year for destroying a franchise is in the past. Drafting Harrington, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, et al is in the past. Where are you posting from, Millen's mustache?Taking $5 million/year from a senile fool for being the worst GM in the history of the game is criminal in my eyes.

So Roy Williams, Ernie Sims and Calvin Johnson are also the past?

Dont quote me on the Sims DP. Just thinking he's young enough for the Millen era.

Who were the Lions supposed to pick over Charles Rogers? I get the Williams pick, not the best choice.

You sound very bitter and living in the past. Im a bit more positive and in the NFL things can turn around very quickly.

EDIT : not a lions fan so my opinion varies greatly.

How can anyone take this guy seriously anymore? I almost fell off of my chair when I saw Millens face with Costas and Bettis.They were talking about Matt Ryan and his success. Millen "The way a young QB succeeds is to build a strong line to protect him, and have a strong running game"Is that why MM drafted WRs 4 years in a row while Harrington and Kitna and whoever were getting killed behind the worst line in football? Throw in that the Lions had the worst rushing attack in football under Millens regime.I can`t help..when I saw Millen it stirred up so much anger that this guy is doing a playoff pre-game while he destroyed the Lions frachise for the 8 years he was here, and for many years to come.
Ask my wife. I about threw something at our TV when I saw him... I had to double take at first. I was like, "Is... is that.... is that MATT MILLEN?!" :lmao:

Duke1948 said:
these threads always bring as smile to me...just because you play some silly game called fantasy football you all think you can do it better.....get over yourselves. millen didn't do a very good job but for you guys to sit here and say he should have done this, he should have done that is ridiculous. when you make a mistake on your fantasy draft you try to explain it away....so funny. at least he took the blame.
Thing is, it's awful hard to be worse than 0-16....

Pft reported on a rumor that NBC might be trying to groom Miller to take over for Madden next year

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/03/...-madden-rumors/
Seeing Millen on TV, and now this puts the final nail in the NBC coffin for me. They are hands down the worst network for NFL analysts. Can't stand their broadcasting except for Madden/Michaels.
TC said:
** PERSONAL FOUL **

Late hit by the FBG board.

Certainly, Millen did his best as the Lion's GM. He gave it great effort. It's just that he was very lousy at that job.
How can you even say this? Did you know that over 8 years, Millen never moved to Michigan? He spent most of his time back in PA with his family. Talk about a freaking dream job. $5 mil/year for a job you don't even have to show up for on a daily basis. Millen is the antithesis of "effort". He's a blowhard that is able to convince idiots of his greatness and that is his only skill.

money.never.sleeps said:
Duke1948 said:
these threads always bring as smile to me...just because you play some silly game called fantasy football you all think you can do it better.....get over yourselves. millen didn't do a very good job but for you guys to sit here and say he should have done this, he should have done that is ridiculous. when you make a mistake on your fantasy draft you try to explain it away....so funny. at least he took the blame.
:goodposting:
:goodposting:

money.never.sleeps said:

Dont quote me on the Sims DP. Just thinking he's young enough for the Millen era.

Who were the Lions supposed to pick over Charles Rogers? I get the Williams pick, not the best choice.

You sound very bitter and living in the past. Im a bit more positive and in the NFL things can turn around very quickly.

Andre Johnson was rated a beter pro prospect than Rogers. The MSU hype swayed Millen.

Pft reported on a rumor that NBC might be trying to groom Miller to take over for Madden next year

Seeing Millen on TV, and now this puts the final nail in the NBC coffin for me. They are hands down the worst network for NFL analysts. Can't stand their broadcasting except for Madden/Michaels.
TC said:
** PERSONAL FOUL **

Certainly, Millen did his best as the Lion's GM. He gave it great effort. It's just that he was very lousy at that job.
How can you even say this? Did you know that over 8 years, Millen never moved to Michigan? He spent most of his time back in PA with his family. Talk about a freaking dream job. $5 mil/year for a job you don't even have to show up for on a daily basis. Millen is the antithesis of "effort". He's a blowhard that is able to convince idiots of his greatness and that is his only skill.
Why do you take it so personal? Most people would do the same thing if they could get away with it. Should all the people from all the losing teams also be banished for life?

money.never.sleeps said:

Andre Johnson was rated a beter pro prospect than Rogers. The MSU hype swayed Millen.
Don't forget, they brought Bobby Williams in as a WR coach for the benefit of Charles. That chump Andre Johnson is probably in jail now while Rogers is tearing up the league. Oh wait, is that backwards?Roy, Calvin, and Ernie (we'll see) were good picks. So 2 good players in 8 years. That's going to happen by accident if you are perpetually picking in the top 10.

And for you guy thinking Millen is a genius - you don't think you could get more than 2 good players out of 8 drafts?

TC said:
** PERSONAL FOUL **

Why do you take it so personal? Most people would do the same thing if they could get away with it. Should all the people from all the losing teams also be banished for life?
Don't we all take "our" sports teams success/failure personally? Isn't that why we are fans? And yes, I would do the same thing if it were offered to me. But I wouldn't go flaunting it in the face of the people I fleeced, and I would at least try to do a good job instead of sitting on my thumb for 8 years.Comparing Millen to the average "losing" team is really unfair to the average losers. He has taking losing to a whole new level never seen before. Well not since the 76/77 Bucs, but at least they had the excuse of being an expansion team.

Duke1948 said:
What's funny is that you picked the one guy whose only advantage over the average fantay footballer is that he played in the league and commented on television for a few years. Before that he had no significant experience learning how to run a front office. he really is an example of what could or would happen if somebody gave a high level job to someone w/o the background to do it.

I blame Ford for keeping him for so long. Had Millen been fired 3 seasons ago, as he should have been, his public perception wouldn't be nearly as bad. It would have been seen as a failed experiment on a former football player who's good in front of the camera.

Now there's questions surrounding him as a commentator and a football analyst, which isn't fair, because he's above average as a media member.

Millen takes way too much flak for drafting 3 first round WRs. It's only in hindsight that he takes this blame, and in fact, the only pick that was criticized at the time was the CJ pick. Considering how good CJ is, that was a gutsy pick that worked out.

Rogers suffered some injuries and had off the field problems, but I don't think you can fault Millen for that. Everyone had Rogers as a top five pick, and many had him as a #1 or #2 pick. He was awesome and how do you pass on the hometown boy? Warren Sapp and Dan Marino had off the field problems, too. So did Randy Moss, and we saw what happened when he dropped.

The only bad pick was Williams, but he fell in the draft and I can't kill Millen for that. Troy Williamson was just as bad and went higher. Pairing up Williams and Shaun Cody looked like a good move, and many people loved the Lions draft that year. I just don't think it's fair to kill Millen if the coaches don't make those guys develop. Same thing if Gholston is a bust for the Jets -- I'm not going to put that as a knock on Mike T's resume.

Maybe this means I don't held GM's accountable, or maybe it just means I think the abilities of all GMs are much more similar than most want to realize. But for the people who constantly say "3 first round WRs zomg!!!111" I hope they're not the same people pimping Calvin Johnson in the other threads.

How can anyone take this guy seriously anymore? I almost fell off of my chair when I saw Millens face with Costas and Bettis.

They were talking about Matt Ryan and his success. Millen "The way a young QB succeeds is to build a strong line to protect him, and have a strong running game"

Is that why MM drafted WRs 4 years in a row while Harrington and Kitna and whoever was getting killed behind the worst line in football? Throw in that the Lions had the worst rushing attack in football under Millens regime.

I can`t help..when I saw Millen it stirred up so much anger that this guy is doing a playoff pre-game while he destroyed the Lions frachise for the 8 years he was here, and for many years to come.
I said the same thing to my wife when I saw him on the pregame show.
Me too. I was as shocked as everyone else. Not sure what NBC was thinking here at all.

How can anyone take this guy seriously anymore? I almost fell off of my chair when I saw Millens face with Costas and Bettis.

They were talking about Matt Ryan and his success. Millen "The way a young QB succeeds is to build a strong line to protect him, and have a strong running game"

Is that why MM drafted WRs 4 years in a row while Harrington and Kitna and whoever was getting killed behind the worst line in football? Throw in that the Lions had the worst rushing attack in football under Millens regime.

I can`t help..when I saw Millen it stirred up so much anger that this guy is doing a playoff pre-game while he destroyed the Lions frachise for the 8 years he was here, and for many years to come.
Me too. I was as shocked as everyone else. Not sure what NBC was thinking here at all.
I bet you Bettis was thinking in the back of his mind: "Haha, you guys paired us up with THIS clown?! Thank God I wasn't a Lion..."

I bet you Bettis was thinking in the back of his mind: "Haha, you guys paired us up with THIS clown?! Thank God I wasn't a Lion..."
All of a sudden Bettis looks like the smartest guy on the panel.

Millen takes way too much flak for drafting 3 first round WRs. It's only in hindsight that he takes this blame, and in fact, the only pick that was criticized at the time was the CJ pick. Considering how good CJ is, that was a gutsy pick that worked out. Rogers suffered some injuries and had off the field problems, but I don't think you can fault Millen for that. Everyone had Rogers as a top five pick, and many had him as a #1 or #2 pick. He was awesome and how do you pass on the hometown boy? Warren Sapp and Dan Marino had off the field problems, too. So did Randy Moss, and we saw what happened when he dropped.The only bad pick was Williams, but he fell in the draft and I can't kill Millen for that. Troy Williamson was just as bad and went higher. Pairing up Williams and Shaun Cody looked like a good move, and many people loved the Lions draft that year. I just don't think it's fair to kill Millen if the coaches don't make those guys develop. Same thing if Gholston is a bust for the Jets -- I'm not going to put that as a knock on Mike T's resume.Maybe this means I don't held GM's accountable, or maybe it just means I think the abilities of all GMs are much more similar than most want to realize. But for the people who constantly say "3 first round WRs zomg!!!111" I hope they're not the same people pimping Calvin Johnson in the other threads.
This is wrong on so many levels. Millen deserves every bit of flak he gets for taking 4 WRs in the Top 10. Everywhere you hear how to successfully build a team - start from the inside out etc... Not once have I ever heard someone say you need to have 3 Top 10 WRs. Millen himself even has stated you need to have a strong interior and go from there. It's just that when he's had a chance to draft, he did not follow his own advice. Rogers - pre-draft, the thoughts were that it was Rogers or AJ. Obviously, this was the wrong selection. But, Rogers did look like he'd be a player until his collarbone caught up with him. But, the issues with Rogers were off-field. The Lions knew about them, he lives in their backyard and yet they STILL chose him. They even added special clauses (different from a typical deal) to his contract to recoup losses in the event he decided to hit the bong. But, Millen gave in to the home town kid. Roy Williams - Another pick that the Lions did not need. At the time, it looked like Rogers could be a legit WR1, but obviously the Lions knew more about Rogers' background than the public did. Still, the Lions had so many needs that to go with a luxury was not wise. Fatso Williams - This was the worst pick of the Millen Era. Heck, it might be the worst pick in history. Pre-draft, everyone had the Lions taking Ware or Merriman. There were debates all over Lions board about who to take. The other player given consideration was Derrick Johnson. We have since found out that Tubs didn't fall in the draft, some teams had him off their board completely due to his horrific work ethic and ballooning weight. This is the pick that will define the Matt Millen era. He, inexplicably, failed to follow his own plans on so many occasions it makes Lions fans sick.CJ - This pick took guts. It looks like CJ will be a great one. I still would have taken the Falcons' offer to trade down or taken Joe Thomas, but I'm glad this has worked out. With Roy Williams in the fold, this was a luxury pick when there were GLARING needs that could have been filled.In my opinion, Millen deserves every bit of criticism hurled his way. If your team has glaring needs and a pro-bowl type player is available, take him. You don't have to go boom - or - bust with every pick.

Fatso Williams - This was the worst pick of the Millen Era. Heck, it might be the worst pick in history. Pre-draft, everyone had the Lions taking Ware or Merriman. There were debates all over Lions board about who to take. The other player given consideration was Derrick Johnson. We have since found out that Tubs didn't fall in the draft, some teams had him off their board completely due to his horrific work ethic and ballooning weight. This is the pick that will define the Matt Millen era. He, inexplicably, failed to follow his own plans on so many occasions it makes Lions fans sick.
:lmao: I could not agree more with the above, especially with the bolded part. Millen never stuck to a plan. He even talked yesterday about how important it is to build a good offensive line, yet he has not taken a first day offensive lineman since his first draft. He made a fool of himself saying that yesterday because he never bothered doing it when he was here.

The Mike Williams pick was one of the worst draft picks ever. The Lions had no need for him and we had glaring needs on defense, especially a pass rusher. Passing on Merriman and Ware was terrible and taking a fat lazy underachiever with no work ethic was as bad as it gets. I did not really have a problem with the Rogers pick or Roy, but the Mike Williams pick made absolutely no sense.

Take a look at Millen's drafts. He had a bunch of high picks every year. I think (not positive) that Shaun Rogers was the only pro bowl player Millen drafted and with the high picks he had, that pretty much sums it up.

EDIT TO ADD: He took Gosder last year in round 1.

Bojang0301 said:
Do I feel like I should kick him when he is down? No. I'm pretty sure he is probably embarrassed by his tenure with the Lions. The fact is though that one little line Da Guru pointed out is why he shouldn't be broadcasting anymore either. He sat in a position where he actually COULD do those things and refused to. I don't know how any serious football fan can't sit there and look at him and think he is a schmuck who doesn't know his ### from the hole in the ground. Especially when it seems evident to me that the words that his coming out of his mouth are either blatent lies, are being whispered in his ear/read off a prompter, or that he is just saying the PC things. I know other people can get over it but I can't stand watching someone like this.
For some reason he decided to draft best skill position talent available with high draft picks when he drafted all those WRs. I don't know why he allowed himself to make that mistake, but it's not very difficult for the man to look back with a little hindsight and now realize the error of his ways. I don't think he's lying or being fed what to say for one second. I don't know why he didn't try to build the lines first in Detroit, but I certainly believe him now when he says that is key to building a franchise. I just feel bad for him and Detroit fans that he couldn't follow that philosophy over the last 8 years.

Millen is a hard nosed football guy..or at least he was at one time.

Millen biggest mistake was to get rid of Gary Moeller as coach and bring in Marty Morningweg. Moeller is a hard nosed coach that the players loved, Moeller coached the team to a 9-7 record and they just missed a playoff berth as interim HC.

Had Millen stuck with Moeller the Lions would probably been built from the trenches out..the way Millen proclaims it should be on TV.

They got rid of Moeller because he did not interview well. This after Moeller had already coached more than half a season and turned the team around. Moeller is a football coach plain and simple. The guy will never blow anyone away an the interview process.

Duke1948 said:
Well, here is who I wanted the Lions to draft () with their first picks at the time:2001 - Backus (Archuleta)2002 - Joey Blue Skys (Jammer)2003 - Rogers (Andre Johnson)2004 - Roy Williams (Winslow)2005 - Mike Williams (Derrick Johnson)2006 - Sims (Sims...scary me & Millen agreeing)2007 - Calvin (J. Thomas)2008 - Cherilus (Otah)So, yes, I do believe I could have done it better. I would bet my life I would not have gone 0-16 in my 8th year on the job.

Millen is a hard nosed football guy..or at least he was at one time.Millen biggest mistake was to get rid of Gary Moeller as coach and bring in Marty Morningweg. Moeller is a hard nosed coach that the players loved, Moeller coached the team to a 9-7 record and they just missed a playoff berth as interim HC.Had Millen stuck with Moeller the Lions would probably been built from the trenches out..the way Millen proclaims it should be on TV. They got rid of Moeller because he did not interview well. This after Moeller had already coached more than half a season and turned the team around. Moeller is a football coach plain and simple. The guy will never blow anyone away an the interview process.
Well, he wanted to blow everyone out and do things his way.Remember his first 2 stud FA signings? Overpaying for Az Hakim & Bill Schroeder. Outside-In is how you build a team. Genius.

Laughable that people are actually defending him :excited:
It's because the people defending him do not live in Detroit or the surrounding area. I'm not a Lions fan but I live down in Toledo and have seen the garbage that has gone on for 8 years. I don't think any good fan in this area will ever look at Millen the same if the air out of his mouth is trying to talk about football. I'm not sure why others would value his analysis but it's their opinion. Mine is that the man has no business talking about football and putting his face out there to do such is another spit in the Lions fans faces. It's not right that their organization has fallen as far as they have and you can point to scouts and coaches but you arn't facing facts: over the span of 8 years Millen became the organization. During that time he changed coaching staffs THREE times and had full control over all scouting and player personnel. So yes it does come down to two people and I will simply disagree with you if you state otherwise: Millen and Ford.

Millen is a hard nosed football guy..or at least he was at one time.

Millen biggest mistake was to get rid of Gary Moeller as coach and bring in Marty Morningweg. Moeller is a hard nosed coach that the players loved, Moeller coached the team to a 9-7 record and they just missed a playoff berth as interim HC.

Had Millen stuck with Moeller the Lions would probably been built from the trenches out..the way Millen proclaims it should be on TV.

They got rid of Moeller because he did not interview well. This after Moeller had already coached more than half a season and turned the team around. Moeller is a football coach plain and simple. The guy will never blow anyone away an the interview process.
Well, he wanted to blow everyone out and do things his way.Remember his first 2 stud FA signings? Overpaying for Az Hakim & Bill Schroeder. Outside-In is how you build a team. Genius.
LOL..Hands of Stone Hakim and alligator arms Schroeder.

The guy was on to get grilled and get it out of the way. He took responsibility and shouldnt keep having to defend himself. Its over. :shrug: Say all you want about his GM skills he still knows something about football as a former player. Also was a commentator for awhile so I dont find it that ridiculous that he's on.
I always thought he was a pretty good analyst prior to taking the job in Detroit. I don't see the problem.Even the worst GM in the history of the NFL has more knowledge of the game than a bunch of schmuck's like us talking in a FFB forum. I think of the old saying, "those who can - do, those who can't - teach." In sports, those who can - do, those who can't - get a job talking about it. Bernie Miklatz is a sports columnists for the St. Louis Post Dispatch. The guy is a huge fat tub of goo that has never played a sport in his life other than maybe a pie eating contest. Despite that I think the guy is a phenomenal sports columnists. One does not have to be successful in the game to be successful talking about it. Mike Golic was a very mediocre D-Linemen. Other than the forced jock vs. metrosexual schtick on the Mike and Mike show I like to heat what the guy has to say about football. Joe Montana was one of the best QB's of all time. Horrible TV presence. Don't hate MM as an analyst because he blew as a GM...

The guy was on to get grilled and get it out of the way. He took responsibility and shouldnt keep having to defend himself. Its over. :thumbup: Say all you want about his GM skills he still knows something about football as a former player. Also was a commentator for awhile so I dont find it that ridiculous that he's on.
I always thought he was a pretty good analyst prior to taking the job in Detroit. I don't see the problem.Even the worst GM in the history of the NFL has more knowledge of the game than a bunch of schmuck's like us talking in a FFB forum. I think of the old saying, "those who can - do, those who can't - teach." In sports, those who can - do, those who can't - get a job talking about it. Bernie Miklatz is a sports columnists for the St. Louis Post Dispatch. The guy is a huge fat tub of goo that has never played a sport in his life other than maybe a pie eating contest. Despite that I think the guy is a phenomenal sports columnists. One does not have to be successful in the game to be successful talking about it. Mike Golic was a very mediocre D-Linemen. Other than the forced jock vs. metrosexual schtick on the Mike and Mike show I like to heat what the guy has to say about football. Joe Montana was one of the best QB's of all time. Horrible TV presence. Don't hate MM as an analyst because he blew as a GM...
I just hate him.

The guy was on to get grilled and get it out of the way. He took responsibility and shouldnt keep having to defend himself. Its over. :rant: Say all you want about his GM skills he still knows something about football as a former player. Also was a commentator for awhile so I dont find it that ridiculous that he's on.
I just hate him.
I hated him originally because of his hackneyed quips as an analyst and his "tough guy" act (and how can you screw up the word "Boom" & "Pow" which he did quite often?).And you are talking in circles. Obviously Millen can't "Do" as a GM. But he can be successful talking about it because he played the game and held the GM title? The way you state it, Miklatz should have been the Lions GM. He was more successful talking about sports than Millen.Also, obviously Millen is mentally slow. So, yes, a schmuk like me would be more successful after 8 years on the job than he was. Even if he does have more career tackles than me.

Millen takes way too much flak for drafting 3 first round WRs. It's only in hindsight that he takes this blame, and in fact, the only pick that was criticized at the time was the CJ pick. Considering how good CJ is, that was a gutsy pick that worked out. Rogers suffered some injuries and had off the field problems, but I don't think you can fault Millen for that. Everyone had Rogers as a top five pick, and many had him as a #1 or #2 pick. He was awesome and how do you pass on the hometown boy? Warren Sapp and Dan Marino had off the field problems, too. So did Randy Moss, and we saw what happened when he dropped.The only bad pick was Williams, but he fell in the draft and I can't kill Millen for that. Troy Williamson was just as bad and went higher. Pairing up Williams and Shaun Cody looked like a good move, and many people loved the Lions draft that year. I just don't think it's fair to kill Millen if the coaches don't make those guys develop. Same thing if Gholston is a bust for the Jets -- I'm not going to put that as a knock on Mike T's resume.Maybe this means I don't held GM's accountable, or maybe it just means I think the abilities of all GMs are much more similar than most want to realize. But for the people who constantly say "3 first round WRs zomg!!!111" I hope they're not the same people pimping Calvin Johnson in the other threads.
Not sure if I've ever said "zomg" or "oh noes" about CJ as a player. Why is it not possible, in your eyes, to be a big fan of CJ and what he can do but NOT be a fan of that draft pick? How many games has CJ won for the Lions? All those top 10 pick WR's get lambasted by us because you can't build a winning team by ignoring the OL/DL. Detroit has taken what, TWO lineman with their first pick in the last 8 years, and even those 2 were separated by 7 years. There are many teams more successful than the Lions that have squat at WR but have a solid OL and a solid D. The best WR in the world can't keep a QB off his rear end or keep the D from giving up 30pts/game. Everyone knew this but Millen, that's why the average Lions fan hates him so much - he took an average team and made it the worst in history.

How do I feel about Millen? If I saw him in an airport I'd strongly consider sneaking up on him and punching him in the throat.

It's very personal for Lion fans. They want to see that idiot tormented like the fans are tormented. Instead they see a rich millionaire yucking it up on TV and they (the fans) are stuck in Michigan with a football team that will suck for years.

Anyone defending Millen can go straight to hell. That ########## can die as far as I'm concerned.

You non-Lion fans can't possibly have any idea of the depth of the venom and pain.

How do I feel about Millen? If I saw him in an airport I'd strongly consider sneaking up on him and punching him in the throat. It's very personal for Lion fans. They want to see that idiot tormented like the fans are tormented. Instead they see a rich millionaire yucking it up on TV and they (the fans) are stuck in Michigan with a football team that will suck for years. Anyone defending Millen can go straight to hell. That ########## can die as far as I'm concerned.You non-Lion fans can't possibly have any idea of the depth of the venom and pain.
:football:

The guy was on to get grilled and get it out of the way. He took responsibility and shouldnt keep having to defend himself. Its over. :blackdot: Say all you want about his GM skills he still knows something about football as a former player. Also was a commentator for awhile so I dont find it that ridiculous that he's on.
I just hate him.
I hated him originally because of his hackneyed quips as an analyst and his "tough guy" act (and how can you screw up the word "Boom" & "Pow" which he did quite often?).And you are talking in circles. Obviously Millen can't "Do" as a GM. But he can be successful talking about it because he played the game and held the GM title? The way you state it, Miklatz should have been the Lions GM. He was more successful talking about sports than Millen.Also, obviously Millen is mentally slow. So, yes, a schmuk like me would be more successful after 8 years on the job than he was. Even if he does have more career tackles than me.
Your poor reading comprehension shows that you would likely not be better as a GM or as an analyst than Millen...

When I saw him on NBC, I turned to my wife and said, "There's going to be some crazy thread on the football forums because of this."

:coffee:

Da Guru said:
Millen did not do a very good job? :goodposting: That is an understatement.Millen had the worst 8 year tenure as GM in NFL HISTORY!! Millen built an 0-16 team for the first time in NFL history.
This is like Cal Ripken's Iron Man record, it'll NEVER be broken, mainly because no GM will ever be given that much leeway again though. :goodposting:

Da Guru said:
Millen did not do a very good job? :thumbup: That is an understatement.Millen had the worst 8 year tenure as GM in NFL HISTORY!! Millen built an 0-16 team for the first time in NFL history.
This is like Cal Ripken's Iron Man record, it'll NEVER be broken, mainly because no GM will ever be given that much leeway again though. :lmao:
If WCF likes you you will have employment. Ford kept Russ Thomas as GM from 67-89 and Thomas was a Matt Millen type. Mayhew has at least 5 years even if the Lions only win 2-3 games a season.Reason being if the Lions win two games next year Ford will say "Look at the improvement"

drew726 said:
Saw him, said "wtf", and muted the television.
Did the same thing.....I had to do a double take at first because I didn't believe it was him. Maybe NBC is setting some kind of spot for him possibly called "The Matt Millen Franchise Collapse Moment"

The difficult part about seeing Matt Millen on any pregame show is that he's a constant reminder of the ineptitude and failures of the Lions franchise. It's a slap in the face to all Lions fans and really any true NFL fan in general. Thanks for the great season guy. He should be banned from football for at least a couple years as pennace for his massive failures as a GM. I just wish he would have some shame and disappear for a bit. Also Millen is not a great analyst either. For those that think he is, you really have low expectations.

total joke, NBC should not have had that guy on tv talking football. Don't care if he used to do it, the guy is a laughing stock and I don;t care to hear anything he has to say about football.

money.never.sleeps said:
To say that Millen is the sole reason for the lions being this horrible isnt right IMO. The players and coaches also have to be held accountable. Blaming Millen only goes so far.

To think that Millen worked any less harder than anyone else is ridiculous. (esp. those claiming that fantasy football or High school JV/Varsity is qualified to give anymore insight than a previous NFL pro is crazy also)

What Im just trying to say is more than Millen is responsible. The whole organization top to bottom is at fault. I dont hate millen but at the same time im not a fan.

I just think its sad that any team has bottomed this badly in the league and I hope it changes soon.
Sure there's plenty of blame to go around but Matt Millen may be the worst GM in any sport that I can remember. Isaiah Thomas is close. Both of these guys were former Pro players but that obviously didn't qualify them for anything. You either know how to spot and manage talent or you don't. Even Michael Jordan failed at this. And not only were they poor GM's, they were franchise destroyers. Matt Millen was a giant franchise Death Star. How is it possible to run a team for 8 years, with all the draft picks and free agents and still end up with only a handful of guys who are first string level players. There are less than 5 Lions players that would be starters on any other team and one of them is a 38 year old kicker who was on the team before Millen arrived. It seems impossible but somehow Millen achieved it.

Users who are viewing this thread