What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you approach booking a flight? (1 Viewer)

Zigg

Footballguy
I saw a video about why there have been so few innovations in economy class, while business is incredible. I assumed it was simply greed and catering to money, but the video made a point that hit home, and the Southwest thread reinforced it, people flying economy tend to prioritize spending as little as possible.

I was certainly one of those people, and this board appears to have many others. I hope to travel much more moving forward, and will be breaking this trend.

I have a Vancouver-Toronto RT flight in February. Outbound economy, return premium economy. I’m curious what the difference will be. I find PE is often about 40-60% more than economy, with some decent perks. That is based on lowest fare, it is almost always cheaper than refundable economy.

I’m curious if this board is as cheap as possible, or splurges for perks(legroom, seat selection, premium). Business class flyers get lost. I’m disgusted and extremely jealous of you.

Primary is schedule / convience. I live closest to BWI but sometimes IAD or even PHL or NEW has the best time and route options, particularly if flying international. Want to go to South Africa? Well there's a direct from IAD. Delhi? Direct from Newark. This is especially true when traveling with little kids. I don't like landing after 10:00 as it messes up their sleep. I don't like getting up at 3:00 AM as it messes up my sleep.

Secondary is price, but tertiary of service comes into play. I'll pay more to fly SWA over Spirit. I'll pay more to fly Delta over United. I'll just more to fly Lufthansa over American. And that's 100% about the level of service and how well run the airline is.

I never pay extra for premium economy as it's not worth it for a family of 4 with two kids under 10. I generally hate the a la carte pricing and nickel and diming from Spirit, United, etc. I would prefer to have 1 bag checked, 1 carry on included in the price. Sometimes I'll use one, sometimes another, sometimes both, but it evens out and makes it easier to compare prices so I don't have to factor in those things when making a choice. Alas that ship has sailed.

I don't fly often, but the priority list is...

*Relatively early (but not too early) in the morning
*During the week
*No connection
*Price

If I'm not flying with kids then price can be more important if it's a meaningful difference as if I get stranded I only have to worry about myself. While we were planning on this already the escapades of the last 12-18 months confirmed we want to keep family trips within 6 hours or so and drive, so I spose that will be a more important factor going forward. There aren't any good reasons for us to venture outside of that radius with the army, so why risk...this.

Pretty easy for me. Alaska is pretty much the only domestic carrier that isn’t crap. We ask for gift cards for birthday/Xmas gifts so we tend to accumulate and use those. We don’t fly enough domestically for miles to really accumulate.

I'm mostly a solo traveler (maybe with girlfriend) so some of this is easier b/c of it. I try to fly out as early as possible; figure why not since its just more time at the destination. If the flight gets delayed, no biggie; most likely just more time to sleep. Coming back, not as early. I'm in no hurry to get back but I also don't want to get back at a late hour. Greater chance of delay, but not a big deal killing some time. I'll always fly direct unless there's really no other choice. Other than that, its mostly about price and just having a window seat. Was doing the economy plus for a bit (certainly nicer being 6' 4") but I'm done with paying an extra $200 just for a little extra legroom. Never pay for refunding option. As long as I can change, I can always change to another trip I have planned in the near future.

I doubt this works now but 20 years ago when I traveled all the time I would call them directly. Every time I called I would get a completely different price so I would just keep calling over and over until I got a good price.

I doubt this works now but 20 years ago when I traveled all the time I would call them directly. Every time I called I would get a completely different price so I would just keep calling over and over until I got a good price.
The modern version of this works in the airlines’ favor. If you check a price online but don’t book right away, when you go back to book a few days later the website checks your cookies and raises the price. Always browse on a different computer than what you book on.

Dad?
Those commercials are so good. All of them. The waiter doesn’t need to know your name is my favorite because my friends dad does that.

Always opt for direct, if available. Only exception if I’m going across the entire country.
Always opt for checked bags instead of carry on. I don’t like fighting people for overhead space and I like the extra room for packing in a checked bag (cheaper too).
Rarely ever spend for a larger seat or early seating. Just not worth it, imo.
Always look for the cheapest flight from the closest airport, such as Spirit. I also check out Kayak for prices.

Always opt for checked bags instead of carry on. I don’t like fighting people for overhead space and I like the extra room for packing in a checked bag (cheaper too).
This assuming you're paying separately for one or the other? I fly united mostly and when you choose the price option that comes with seat assignment, it also comes with carry on. But I do agree that carry on means you need to be more sensitive to when you board to ensure bin space. I'd much rather just wait until the last minute to board. It sure is nice though not having to wait for your bags.

1. Fewest number of stops.
2. Price, then schedule
3. Southwest (for now)
3. https://www.google.com/travel/flights
5. Compare all of the above.
6. I don't care what kind of seat. I've never flown first class/business class ever. Paying 3x-4x the price has never seemed worth it.
I’m this for the most part. If it’s a relatively short flight all I care about is price and time of day. Usually Southwest for west coast as most convenient. I will lean to United if traveling with my family as because of status all in my party get economy plus seats and up to 3 free checked bags. Also I can get exit aisles easily. The one thing I’ll add is I check Seat Guru for the plane’s seating configuration. It will show green, yellow and red for each seat.

I only fly first when I’m upgraded or if I fly longer routes international. It’s sure worth it if you need to sleep. Was great going to Australia.

Not a buying tip but a travel tip: Buy Apple AirTags and put in every piece of luggage that you check. If the airlines lose your luggage, they may not know where it is but you will.

YWIA

The modern version of this works in the airlines’ favor. If you check a price online but don’t book right away, when you go back to book a few days later the website checks your cookies and raises the price. Always browse on a different computer than what you book on.

This is a myth from what I have read.

This is a myth from what I have read.
I looked it up and it’s pretty inconclusive. It may be BS but I don’t chance it.

non stop or fewest
price. i usually buy economy and then upgrade the seats. this is cheaper than buying comfort plus/premium economy.
convenience. i have 3 airports near me, each is less convenient than the next. but nonstop factors into to this choice.
time of day

I saw a video about why there have been so few innovations in economy class, while business is incredible. I assumed it was simply greed and catering to money, but the video made a point that hit home, and the Southwest thread reinforced it, people flying economy tend to prioritize spending as little as possible.

I was certainly one of those people, and this board appears to have many others. I hope to travel much more moving forward, and will be breaking this trend.

I have a Vancouver-Toronto RT flight in February. Outbound economy, return premium economy. I’m curious what the difference will be. I find PE is often about 40-60% more than economy, with some decent perks. That is based on lowest fare, it is almost always cheaper than refundable economy.

I’m curious if this board is as cheap as possible, or splurges for perks(legroom, seat selection, premium). Business class flyers get lost. I’m disgusted and extremely jealous of you.
My family of 3, now that my oldest is out on her own, flies once maybe twice per year. For us it's always convenience over price. I'm 6'3"and am willing to pay for extra leg room. We don't fly first class or anything but always look for the most convenient, non stop if possible, time of day etc and choose that everytime.

I don't check a bag. There are videos on how to maximize packing, I'm a pro. The list of things that can go wrong on flights increases when you check a bag.

Earlier in the day flights, if I can. Increases options if there's an issue with flights.

Have a frequent flyer account with every airline you fly. I don't book with 3rd parties for airfare or hotels. If things go wrong, I want to be part of airlines ecosystem. Doesn't matter if you rarely fly.

Google flights is always a good start.

Use points for flights, and check the prices for bump to first class. Can often get a good deal.

No kids means I travel when kids are in school. But in general, if you can zig when everyone is zagging, less crowded flights, less crowded airports, but these days, feels like every flight is full.

Packing and proper luggage makes a big difference in costs unless you've got status or a card that gets you free bags. On discount airlines like Spirit, an optimized "personal Item" bag will save you a good bit of cash.

I travel a lot so I've accumulated an array of bags for various options:

PERSONAL ITEM: Cotopaxi Allpa 28L Pack
Having a good personal item bag can 100% save you money on checked bags, and improve your overall travel experience. I've usually run with a standard OGIO backpack but decided to step up here. The general consensus is you're looking at a 25-28L pack as optimizing your personal item while complying with airlines sizing limitations. I chose the Cotopaxi Allpa 28 because it is designed specifically for this purpose. The clamshell design with integrated packing cubes helps with organization if you'll be in and out of the bag a good bit. IMO most folks can easily do 2-4 day trip wtih this bag along. As a bonus it's water-resistant and also includes a small rain fly if you find yourself in a downpour. This pack is covered by Cotopaxi's lifetime repair or replace warranty.

CARRY-ON SIZE BACKPACK: Osprey Porter 46L Carry-On Pack
If I'm looking to only carry a single bag, but need more space than the 28L Cotopaxi, then the Osprey Porter is fantastic. It will comfortably hold two Medium packing cubes plus a bevy of other items. This bag offers significantly improved mobility over a Carry-on roller bag with the same capacity. I can comfortably live for a week or more out of this bag, depending on the environment. It also has a rain-fly if you get caught in the rain, and is covered by Osprey's Repair or Replace Lifetime Warranty.

CARRY ON ROLLER BAG: Wenger Swiss Army 2-wheel Roller Bag
Can't find a link for this or I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. This thing has been on probably 100 flights across various continents and countries and it's bombproof. Love the two-wheel tilt roller style MUCH more than the 4 wheel rollers (which suck IMO). Rolls smoother in general and is 100x better over uneven terrain (cobblestones, down stairs, etc). Replaceable roller blade style wheels rock. Fabric is a bit stained and worn but still holds up fantastic. Guessing I'll get several more years out of this bag.

I've not NEEDED to check a bag in ages, though I'll occasionally use a free bag check with Delta (Amex) or Southwest. Have ~2 weeks in Iceland coming up and I'll be using the Cotopaxi and the Swiss Roller. Have 5 days in Biloxi at the Beau Rivage next week and will likely just make do with the Cotopaxi.

I fly southwest every other year so hopefully they have their **** straitened out by august. I book with points. I book flights the day become available. southwest announces their release dates well in advance. book the most convenient non stop flight. check back often to see if prices went down. on southwest at least, if you book with points, you can rebook or cancel and the points just go back into your account. 2 free bags and one carryon per ticket.

The waiter doesn’t need to know your name is my favorite because my friends dad does that.
My mom and her husband both do this and then insist on not only calling them by name every time they come back to the table, but also saying "hola", "por favor" and "gracias" if we're in a Mexican restaurant and the staff is from anywhere in Central America.

Regarding Flight Shopping:

Google Flights
SkyScanner
Kayak

Scotts Cheap Flights Membership is great for international travel deals and occasionally domestic flights.

Skiplagged can be helpful for domestic or international flights if you're a bit flexible and don't mind booking separate return flights. Skiplagging is booking a flight with a stop at your desired destination because it's cheaper than just flying to your destination. Example: Let's say Memphis to Atlanta is $350 but there's a deal for Memphis to Tampa (by way of Atlanta) for $250. You book the second flight then just leave the airport in Atlanta. Catch is you must book return flights separately (They will cancel the balance of your itinerary), and you can't check bags.

I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for a better schedule (flight times / connections / Layovers). I'll almost always book for Aisle, preference for exist row.

Seat Guru is great for avoiding bad seat surprises... particularly on longer haul flights.

Last edited:
Would you guys be more likely to pay more for perks on a longer flight? Does your mindset change on a 2/3 hour flight verses as a 8-10 hour flight?

For the family flyers, would Air New Zealand’s sky couch interest you?

I find the different mind sets regarding travel fascinating. Personally, I find the flight to be an important part of the trip, and enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I even like airports.

Google Flights
SkyScanner
Kayak

Scotts Cheap Flights Membership is great for international travel deals and occasionally domestic flights.

Skiplagged can be helpful for domestic or international flights if you're a bit flexible and don't mind booking separate return flights.

I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for a better schedule (flight times / connections / Layovers). I'll almost always book for Aisle, preference for exist row.

Seat Guru is great for avoiding bad seat surprises... particularly on longer haul flights.
Do you book through third party sites, or is it just a reference? I will always book directly.

Not a buying tip but a travel tip: Buy Apple AirTags and put in every piece of luggage that you check. If the airlines lose your luggage, they may not know where it is but you will.

YWIA
Are they easy to set up?

I got a couple as a gift and play on using them on an upcoming cruise.

Just recently got introduced to skyscanner and am really liking it. I have a lot of flexibility and that site makes it very easy to shuffle between days to compare prices. I like that it takes you to the united site when you click to purchase.

Google Flights
SkyScanner
Kayak

Skiplagged can be helpful for domestic or international flights if you're a bit flexible and don't mind booking separate return flights.

Do you book through third party sites, or is it just a reference? I will always book directly.

I have no problem booking through 3rd party sites if the deal is sufficient.

I have incredible travel insurance through Chase Sapphire Reserve, so if something goes sideways it's usually fixed pretty quickly with minimal cost to me.

I have several different criteria, but I don't live in a world where it makes sense to spend 40-60% more for a ticket on the same flight.

YWIA
Are they easy to set up?

I got a couple as a gift and play on using them on an upcoming cruise.
Very easy as long as you have an iPhone. I don't believe they are compatible with Android.

They transmit RFID signals to any iPhone that is nearby and then transmits the location to your phone. You can see exactly where they are at any time (as long as someone with an iPhone is nearby. I have used them for a year or so and have never had an issue identifying exactly where my bags were at any given time.

I don't travel a lot these days but have in the past so proficient enough on my own to handle whatever comes my way. Probably 6-8 trips a year, pretty much can be anywhere in the country. Fly out of Charlotte so firmly in American's grasp. Pretty much all my miles are with them along with a credit card to monopolize miles as much as I can. My priorities are:
American
Direct
Price

I don't pay extra for the ******** seats. Paying an extra $30 for a couple hour flight isn't worth it to me. I always carry on as I don't trust the airlines to touch my stuff. Have a large Eagle backpack that I can get 7 days in and still meet airline carryon requirements. I am looking for something new though, similar to what @[icon] posted above. Backpack + roller.

I have used Skiplagged in the past but you gotta carry on so keep that in mind if you decide to give it a try. Not sure how you would fair using it now with all the cancellations, guessing you would get stuck someplace and it would be a ***** to unwind.

Convenience: 3 airports nearby. There is one very close I like to fly out of to vegas. usually forced to use spirit, but no issues yet.
non-stop/direct
service
schedule
price: I don't love the a la carte. when traveling with 4 it becomes a pita, but i will buy the pre-selection for seats/checked bags.

Last edited:
What Airline? It depends really. United for example, their premium economy(different from Economy plus) offers wider seats and more recline as well as slightly better food. Really it depends on the airline

I think it depends on the person. Me, i have a bad back, so it helps to fly business on long hauls(note that most people dont pay for this, either their company pays or they use miles to book or upgrade to business). But i also have tons of miles so i dont have to pay for business. Otherwise, ill try to get bulkhead in economy or an exit row and take something to fall asleep. for short flights, its really not a huge deal to fly first class and i wouldnt spend money on it personally.

IMO if you plan to travel a ton, your best bet is to get a travel CC that offers some benefits like free checked bags, or even status as well as a mileage bonus or bonus miles when you fly.

The waiter doesn’t need to know your name is my favorite because my friends dad does that.
My mom and her husband both do this and then insist on not only calling them by name every time they come back to the table, but also saying "hola", "por favor" and "gracias" if we're in a Mexican restaurant and the staff is from anywhere in Central America.
Hmm. Been going to a Mexican restaurant for years and thought it was a great way to practice my DuoLingo. I want to spend up to 2 months a year in Mexico when I retire. They seem to enjoy the banter. But making me think…

Hmm. Been going to a Mexican restaurant for years and thought it was a great way to practice my DuoLingo. I want to spend up to 2 months a year in Mexico when I retire. They seem to enjoy the banter. But making me think…
Don't. Almost every person from every non-English speaking country appreciates someone making an effort.

Don't fly a huge amount nowadays, but priorities are price/schedule (will easily pay more to avoid really early departures, same for late if I'm arriving at a city I don't know), airports used (I will deliberately avoid using my nearest airport at all costs as it is that bad), then airline (mainly looking at how cheap/easy it is to avoid a middle seat). Mostly fly in short haul in Europe, anything transatlantic I just prioritise leaving out of Dublin at all costs for preclearance

Don't fly a huge amount nowadays, but priorities are price/schedule (will easily pay more to avoid really early departures, same for late if I'm arriving at a city I don't know), airports used (I will deliberately avoid using my nearest airport at all costs as it is that bad), then airline (mainly looking at how cheap/easy it is to avoid a middle seat). Mostly fly in short haul in Europe, anything transatlantic I just prioritise leaving out of Dublin at all costs for preclearance
Do you have a favourite airlines for inter Europe travel? I love the idea of taking trains, but might fly now and then.

What Airline? It depends really. United for example, their premium economy(different from Economy plus) offers wider seats and more recline as well as slightly better food. Really it depends on the airline

I think it depends on the person. Me, i have a bad back, so it helps to fly business on long hauls(note that most people dont pay for this, either their company pays or they use miles to book or upgrade to business). But i also have tons of miles so i dont have to pay for business. Otherwise, ill try to get bulkhead in economy or an exit row and take something to fall asleep. for short flights, its really not a huge deal to fly first class and i wouldnt spend money on it personally.

IMO if you plan to travel a ton, your best bet is to get a travel CC that offers some benefits like free checked bags, or even status as well as a mileage bonus or bonus miles when you fly.
Flying Westjet. I should have worded it differently. I know the difference, but curious if the experience is worth it. Definitely leaning towards PE for most flights if the price difference isn’t too great. I like the extra space.

I’m a little surprised such a rich board flies so cheap. What is it about air travel that makes wallets slam shut?

Flying Westjet. I should have worded it differently. I know the difference, but curious if the experience is worth it. Definitely leaning towards PE for most flights if the price difference isn’t too great. I like the extra space.

I’m a little surprised such a rich board flies so cheap. What is it about air travel that makes wallets slam shut?

For me it's just that it's such a short time, I feel like I can suffer a little for a lot of money.

I think it's a balance for most, like we're not automatically just picking the cheapest flight. If the different is like 50 bucks or maybe even a few hundred (for a whole family) then sure, maybe take the better flight.

Right now I'm planning a Disney trip. There is a Delta flight, direct, at relatively easy time of day, for $2400 for our family of 4.

Frontier, with a stop, is $600 for all 4 of us. That's a HUGE difference.

Granted Frontier will have bag fees and seat selection fees and whatnot, but at this point Delta does too. Maybe we will suffer more on the flight out there, but now we've got $1800 bucks to spend on something really over the top, and that's pretty sweet. I think I'd rather take the family to a $1000 dinner in a pretend space station that they'll remember forever (or upgrade our lodging to a place with a commercial arcade in the house and a nearly life sized x-wing to play in if we didn't already own that house :P) then have a more comfortable flight.

I think another factor is that even if you plan a better flight, and pay more for it, it doesn't always work out better. If flights get canceled and all that mess, you can still end up on a really inconvenient flight or in really uncomfortable situations. My wife loves flying Delta, is happy to pay extra for it, and has this impression that everything always runs smoothly. But sure enough, our last flight Delta completely botched and put too much weight onto the plane, and we ended up sitting on the tarmac for three (it's a long story) waiting to take off while they figured it out. It was freaking awful, we ended up getting in super late (exactly what we were trying to avoid by paying for an earlier flight) with kids, were super uncomfortable, etc even though we paid more.

good question.

Well to be fair it can be quite pricey to fly premium and first class or business. so wanting that difference costs sometimes thousands of dollars each way. I have seen airlines toss out cheaper upgrade costs at checkin to try and find the right price point or worth. For me its worth it depending on the price and length of flight, whether i need to be productive right away, how im feeling, etc.

I look for the best flight times that are non stop or minimal travel time. I’ve started checking first class for when the upgrade amount is reasonable. I’m headed to a Vegas conference next year and booked economy on the way out and 1st class on the way back with the anticipated headache 🤕.

Do you have a favourite airlines for inter Europe travel? I love the idea of taking trains, but might fly now and then.
In economy there's not really a huge difference. SAS, Norwegian and Lufty have been fine in my experience but I've never had any huge problems with any low cost options. At least ones that haven't gone bust. Like you I do like to use trains where possible but recent destinations plus Eurostar and Deutsche Bahn doing their best not to make things easy/cheap have put the kaibosh on that for now

Fly out of Charlotte so firmly in American's grasp. Pretty much all my miles are with them along with a credit card to monopolize miles as much as I can. My priorities are:
American
Direct
Price
Similar here. Don't collect hundreds of thousands of American miles, but try to keep enough to cover at least a direct domestic flight or two. Recently discovered AADining which gives a nice boost for places I already frequent.

Fly out of Charlotte so firmly in American's grasp. Pretty much all my miles are with them along with a credit card to monopolize miles as much as I can. My priorities are:
American
Direct
Price
Similar here. Don't collect hundreds of thousands of American miles, but try to keep enough to cover at least a direct domestic flight or two. Recently discovered AADining which gives a nice boost for places I already frequent.
Olive Garden???? Fridays????

I've not NEEDED to check a bag in ages, though I'll occasionally use a free bag check with Delta (Amex) or Southwest. Have ~2 weeks in Iceland coming up and I'll be using the Cotopaxi and the Swiss Roller. Have 5 days in Biloxi at the Beau Rivage next week and will likely just make do with the Cotopaxi.
Don't you travel with a firearm?

Users who are viewing this thread