What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you prepare for a draft? (1 Viewer)

BDole

Footballguy
Hello, everyone!

I'm drafting this Sunday in a Dynasty-ish league (we keep 4 this year, will keep 5 next year, building towards a full dynasty league) in a 1/4 PPR league and I'm trying to determine the best way to prepare for a draft.  I've done a few of them in the past but I've never been confident in my process so I thought this might be a good place to ask a few questions.  My questions are:

TLDR Version:  How people here prepare for a draft/mock draft and what materials/cheat sheets are recommended to prepare for the draft?  

Extended/Specific Questions:

1)  If I'm in a 1/4 PPR league that is a partial dynasty, what cheat sheets should I be using for drafts?  

2)  Do I look at PPR or standard?  

3)  Do I look at dynasty or redraft leagues (or do I use a dynasty guide to select my keepers for this year (4 of them) and use a standard redraft guide to finish my draft?

4)  Is the recommended approach to focus on tier based drafting?

5)  Is there a recommended document to read over regarding when to draft which positions?  The internet is flooded with suggestions but if anyone here has an article they found very helpful (or even just some strategy tips), I'd definitely be interested in that!

I can include more info about my league or even my current team but at this point, I think I'm interested in how everyone else would prepare for their drafts and any general recommendations for a slightly unconventional league like mine.  If you need any additional information to answer these questions, let me know and I can definitely upload it.  

I use Footballguys Draft Dominator app.  You have to be a footballguys premium member but it's such a good app.  You can set up your scoring system and it ranks them based on your system and how many teams there are and even makes adjustments to tell you based on your own team.  It's a great app and the best part is you can make your own adjustments to the list if Footballguys like somebody more or less than you do.

I've run like 12 different mock drafts through it already.  You can even set the intelligence level of the auto drafters.  Then at the end they tell you what they think of your team and how they think you can improve it.

To answer one of your direct questions, I'd use non-ppr cheat sheet.  You're talking a two to three point bump max for most players with only 1/4 point ppr.  If it was 1/2 or more, I'd probably use PPR.

Yeah, the thing that screwed me last year had to do with the keepers being out of order.  Not sure why that caused so many issues but it did and it made the app unusable for me, which was a real problem.  It's mainly because I didn't realize that was the source of the issues.  I'm trying to see if our league commissioner will let us know what everyone's keepers are in advance but I might just need to manually punch everything in manually for the first 4 rounds or so.  Chances are, I probably could've used it but I was completely caught offguard when it wasn't working for me and I didn't know why.  

But yeah, I have access to the draft dominator and will likely use it.  I'm just hesitant not to prepare a little bit beforehand in the event I have similar issues . . . unfortunately, my football knowledge prior to drafts is pretty low.  I can keep up once the league starts but drafting stresses me out a lot because I honestly don't know if I'm doing it right or not and usually get pretty bad feedback after a draft.  That said, I've been able to be in the top 3 for the past 2 years so I'm sure I'll be able to pull through (thanks, David Johnson and Aaron Rodgers!), but I'm hoping to get better at the process, not just rely on what data I have in my head (which is not much).  Thanks for the suggestion though, I will definitely try to use that for the draft!

Users who are viewing this thread