What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does Arizona NOT take Cutler (1 Viewer)

bagger.

The One Play Quiz
Arizona's defense is solid (#8 in yardage allowed) and have some great WRs on offense. They have an aging QB in Warner who cannot stay healthy backed up by McCown who by all accounts may not even be there next year.It may be too early to give up on Arrington to get a RB in the first, and an offensive lineman may be the safe pick. But why not groom Cutler for a year, get some OL via free agency and have a dynamic young offense for the future?Does this make too much sense?Arizona's OL is horrendous so starting Cutler this year would probably not be a wise idea, but give him a year and the organization to get that line shored up they may be good. :shrug:

O-Line is a good option. But I don't think the Cards see Arrington as their primary RB of the future. So drafting a RB is equally likely than an O-Lineman. Very few RBs were given the starting role (or had a good shot at it), failed in their 1st year, then went on to become successful, although there are different measures of "success". I am sure you could find a few, but bottom line is that most likely, JJA will never be more than a 3rd down RB. My personal opinion is that if the Cards want an O-Lineman in the 1st round, they could get a free agent RB if they have the money. But I don't see them going with JJA in 2006. It will be a 1st round rookie or a free agent. So I think who they draft in the 1st round (RB or OL) depends on what they do on the RB free agent market.

O-Line is a good option. But I don't think the Cards see Arrington as their primary RB of the future. So drafting a RB is equally likely than an O-Lineman.

Very few RBs were given the starting role (or had a good shot at it), failed in their 1st year, then went on to become successful, although there are different measures of "success". I am sure you could find a few, but bottom line is that most likely, JJA will never be more than a 3rd down RB.

My personal opinion is that if the Cards want an O-Lineman in the 1st round, they could get a free agent RB if they have the money. But I don't see them going with JJA in 2006. It will be a 1st round rookie or a free agent.

So I think who they draft in the 1st round (RB or OL) depends on what they do on the RB free agent market.
I agree this is probably the case. However throughout the Cardinals' franchise they have bypassed on franchise QBs for O-linemen and RBs. When do they make a concerted effort to get a QB that will be a stable force at that position for the next 10 years?

I'm with you Bagger. I'm not sure what Green and Graves think of Cutler, but I have the feeling that they are intent on letting Warner play one more year while grooming a highly touted rookie QB this year. Let's face it, Warner didn't play all that bad at all, so he wasn't the problem by any means and he should be good for 10 games in 2006.IMO, they have three to four glaring needs where they can't simply take the best player available overall. They have to draft the best player available based on need (probably in this order).1. OL2. RB3. QB4. TEBesides these four positions, it's difficult for me to say they are deficient in talent anywhere else as their defense has plenty of playmakers and we know about the WRs.

They could take Cutler in round 1, one of the top TEs/RBs/OL in round 2 and hopefully address the line via free agency.Let Cutler sit behind Warner next year.

Its not out of the question that Warner could play for 5 more years. He played well last season. I was one that thought he was done. He is 3 years younger than B Johnson..QB's can play forever. They have a few more years before they HAVE to draft a QB. IF they see a QB in the draft they are convinced is the guy im sure they would pick him.

Its not out of the question that Warner could play for 5 more years. He played well last season. I was one that thought he was done. He is 3 years younger than B Johnson..QB's can play forever. They have a few more years before they HAVE to draft a QB. IF they see a QB in the draft they are convinced is the guy im sure they would pick him.
:lmao: 2002: 7 games played

2003: 2 games played

2004: 10 games played

2005: 10 games played

does anyone see a trend here? my guess is that the cardinals would be better off not hitching their cart to a horse for the next 5 years who at best will play 2/3 of a season.

We must have saw two different people. I thought he was done, and last year did little to change that for me. Hes not done in the sense that he can't play the position, just done in that he can no longer be a winning QB. He can rack up garbarge yardage and throw incompletions in the redzone better than any QB in the league.

Good question. If Cutler is worthy of all this recent hype, getting your franchise QB at the #10 pick (ala a Ben Rothlisberger pick) would be great value. Much better than the 2nd RB or OT off the board.I personally do not like the pick for the 2nd RB, and I am a DeAngelo fan. Not unless one of the backs, like DeAngelo, just blows up in the workouts would I go RB that high. Not when so many good RBs have been taken the past few years (last year being the exception) with mid to late 1st and early 2nd round picks.If AZ really wants to improve running the ball, they need to improve the OL. RB is one of the easiest positions (to be productive at) on the offensive side of the ball. You simply need some holes to run through. With the wealth of RBs all ready in the league, many of whom have proven that they can be productive, and can be had much cheaper, I do not see why they would go RB.Now, all that being said, Denny will be under a lot of pressure to win this year. He is in year three, I believe, and now-a-days coaches are lucky if there given three full years to turn things around. If he does not turn it around this coming season, he may be gone or just walk as his plan obviously will not be working. So, to win now does not support the need to draft the QB of the future. To win now, he may look for needs at OL or RB or just BPA that can come in and improve a position immediately, which could simply mean the biggest playmaker on the board - either side of the ball.

Cutler may well be the best pick for the Cards, but trading down to another team that also needs a QB should be an option. The problem with the #10 is that they will be choosing between Deangelo Williams and Maroney at RB and Justice, Winston and McNeill at OT. Cutler would actually be a good fit since he can evade the rush and throw on the run. The Cards can use their later picks to shore up the OL and draft another RB, perhaps a power RB like Gerald Riggs as a complement to Arrington.

bagger are you a Vanderbilt alum or something? You're starting Cutler threads at a blistering pace.
:lmao: Just find him very intriguing to talk about.

I really didn't hear about him until after the college season and with all the hype around Leinart and Young, I am really interested to know more about this kid.

They could take Cutler in round 1, one of the top TEs/RBs/OL in round 2 and hopefully address the line via free agency.

Let Cutler sit behind Warner next year.
based on what his propensity for injury and their OL, I'm guessing that Cutler sits behind Kurt for maybe 6 games...

I would pass on the rookie QB and work on that O-Line. You can always add serviceable QBs with experience and any decent QB would look good with Boldin and fitzgerald. A rookie QB is usually a project and I think Ariz has enough projects. Build that O-Line to protect Warner and I think the Cards could be in the playoffs next season. Bring in Kitna to compete as the starter if you need depth.

I would pass on the rookie QB and work on that O-Line. You can always add serviceable QBs with experience and any decent QB would look good with Boldin and fitzgerald. A rookie QB is usually a project and I think Ariz has enough projects. Build that O-Line to protect Warner and I think the Cards could be in the playoffs next season. Bring in Kitna to compete as the starter if you need depth.
I hear you.Really the ultimate question I am getting to in a very roundabout way is when do the Cardinals address the QB position, a position they have neglected in the draft for years. They have never had a franchise QB and there are always other needs on draft day.

Eventually don't you have to force yourself to grab a possible franchise QB at the expense of short term success?

I would pass on the rookie QB and work on that O-Line.  You can always add serviceable QBs with experience and any decent QB would look good with Boldin and fitzgerald.  A rookie QB is usually a project and I think Ariz has enough projects.  Build that O-Line to protect Warner and I think the Cards could be in the playoffs next season.  Bring in Kitna to compete as the starter if you need depth.
I hear you.Really the ultimate question I am getting to in a very roundabout way is when do the Cardinals address the QB position, a position they have neglected in the draft for years. They have never had a franchise QB and there are always other needs on draft day.

Eventually don't you have to force yourself to grab a possible franchise QB at the expense of short term success?
Grab a developmental guy who COULD be a franchise QB, and stay the course with their rebuilding plan. I've heard from several folks that Arizona is working on an extension for Warner, which would indicate that they're a) comfortable with KW as the starter and b) committed to beefing up the offensive line in a hurry.

If Denny Green is going to draft a quarterback, it will have to be one special quarterback. Denny Green is pretty arrogant about his offensive system and believes it is so quarterback friendly he can almost plug in anybody to 'drive the car' as he likes to say.Denny Green is usually more interested in playmakers with speed and physically talented defensive linemen when it comes to first round draft picks.

I would pass on the rookie QB and work on that O-Line.  You can always add serviceable QBs with experience and any decent QB would look good with Boldin and fitzgerald.  A rookie QB is usually a project and I think Ariz has enough projects.  Build that O-Line to protect Warner and I think the Cards could be in the playoffs next season.  Bring in Kitna to compete as the starter if you need depth.

Grab a developmental guy who COULD be a franchise QB, and stay the course with their rebuilding plan. I've heard from several folks that Arizona is working on an extension for Warner, which would indicate that they're a) comfortable with KW as the starter and b) committed to beefing up the offensive line in a hurry.
What I don't understand is how they can be comfortable with a QB who has shown a very strong trend of not being able to finish a season.The easy answer is to draft an OL. Hey if Brickshaw Ferguson is there I say grab him. But every year there is some immediate pressing need and they put in a temporary QB in.

They have had temporary QBs for the last 30 years. This is an issue.

If Denny Green is going to draft a quarterback, it will have to be one special quarterback. Denny Green is pretty arrogant about his offensive system and believes it is so quarterback friendly he can almost plug in anybody to 'drive the car' as he likes to say.

Denny Green is usually more interested in playmakers with speed and physically talented defensive linemen when it comes to first round draft picks.
Luckily for the Cardinals 2006 should be his last year here.

If Denny Green is going to draft a quarterback, it will have to be one special quarterback.  Denny Green is pretty arrogant about his offensive system and believes it is so quarterback friendly he can almost plug in anybody to 'drive the car' as he likes to say.

Denny Green is usually more interested in playmakers with speed and physically talented defensive linemen when it comes to first round draft picks.
Denny Green has his detractors, but I think he is one of the top 8 coaches in the NFL. (Will start compiling my list in case I am called on it).Edited to add:

Quick list of guys who I would consider noticeably better than Green.

Belichick

Gibbs

Parcells

Gruden

John Fox

Bill Cowher

Not to imply those not on this list are worse than Green.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Denny Green is going to draft a quarterback, it will have to be one special quarterback.  Denny Green is pretty arrogant about his offensive system and believes it is so quarterback friendly he can almost plug in anybody to 'drive the car' as he likes to say.

Denny Green has his detractors, but I think he is one of the top 8 coaches in the NFL. (Will start compiling my list in case I am called on it).
Hey Blue,I would've agreed with you handiliy until this past year. I think coaches are only as good as they're motivation and it seems, for whatever reason, Denny isn't showing the focus and motivation he showed in Minnesota. I get the sense he's playing out the string in 'Zona...much like Schottenheimer played out the string in D.C. Ultimately Schotty felt driven after the Skins debacle to re-prove his ability, and maybe Denny's NEXT team will be where he re-asserts himself as a solid NFL head coach.

Denny Green has his detractors, but I think he is one of the top 8 coaches in the NFL. (Will start compiling my list in case I am called on it).Edited to add:

Quick list of guys who I would consider noticeably better than Green.

Belichick

Gibbs

Parcells

Gruden

John Fox

Bill Cowher

Not to imply those not on this list are worse than Green.
Not to hijack...but why would John Fox be on this list and Andy Reid wouldn't? Better winning percentage, same # of Bowls, more division titles, more seasons with a winning record. Methinks John Fox is overrated on this board. I think he's a darn good coach, but he shouldn't be in the short list of the NFL's best [whether you think Reid should or not].

Not to hijack...but why would John Fox be on this list and Andy Reid wouldn't? Better winning percentage, same # of Bowls, more division titles, more seasons with a winning record. Methinks John Fox is overrated on this board. I think he's a darn good coach, but he shouldn't be in the short list of the NFL's best [whether you think Reid should or not].
I will try to start another thread on this tonight, as this is more of a Cutler thread than a Denny Green thread.

I will try to start another thread on this tonight, as this is more of a Cutler thread than a Denny Green thread.
:goodposting:

:lmao: 2002: 7 games played

2003: 2 games played

2004: 10 games played

2005: 10 games played

does anyone see a trend here? my guess is that the cardinals would be better off not hitching their cart to a horse for the next 5 years who at best will play 2/3 of a season.
In 2004 his 10 games played was due to the Giants wanting to switch to Eli, not injury. While I agree that he is an injury risk we do not know how many games played he would have had in 2004 if Eli was not there. I think Warner can still get it done but I would want a decent backup.

With the great depth at OL this year, I'd like to see the Cards pick Cutler in the 1st (yes, if he's available) and go OL in the 2nd and 3rd. With the depth, they could really improve themselves quickly in this draft.

Users who are viewing this thread