What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Does Ramsey signing with the Jets (1 Viewer)

Snot Bubbler

Footballguy
After the Saints signed Brees, a lot of people, myself included, figured that N.O. would trade down with either the Jets or the Titans. The rationale being that a bidding war would ensue since BOTH teams wanted a new QB. But since NYJ signed Ramsey and still have Pennington, it appears that they have no reason to trade up. The Titans no longer have to worry about NYJ moving up so they too can sit still and presumably let Lienart fall into their lap at 3. So...if noone makes an offer to N.O. for the 2nd pick, do they draft Lienart and then try to trade him to Tennessee? Or do they take D'Brick, A.J. or (God forbid) Mario at 2?

I can't imagine the Ramsey trade impacting the draft at all. Jets could still take a QB. They only invested a 6th rounder in Ramsey.

I can't imagine the Ramsey trade impacting the draft at all. Jets could still take a QB. They only invested a 6th rounder in Ramsey.
:yes: NY papers today reporting rumors of JEts trading up for Leinart

Penny is dead money waiting to happen (probably cut next year) and Ramsey is actually dirt cheap. Jets are well under the cap and if they trade Abe will have money to burn.

I think the Jet's could still draft a QB. I haven't seen the details on Pennington's restructured contract but I'm not sure he is the long term answer for them any longer. And Ramsey is just a cheap backup.

I also think your assumption that the Saints won't draft a QB is off base as well. The Brees contract has a huge roster bonus next year and is effectively nothing more than a one year deal. They could easily draft Leinart and cut Brees next year.

I think the Jet's could still draft a QB. I haven't seen the details on Pennington's restructured contract but I'm not sure he is the long term answer for them any longer. And Ramsey is just a cheap backup.

I also think your assumption that the Saints won't draft a QB is off base as well. The Brees contract has a huge roster bonus next year and is effectively nothing more than a one year deal. They could easily draft Leinart and cut Brees next year.
I just can't see the Saints taking Lienart with the intent of keeping him. I know it's a cliche', but they have too many other needs to guarantee $10M+ to another QB. They need help at OT, DT, and LB. I'm not saying that Lienart won't be a better long-term answer at QB than Brees. But Brees and McAllister are the marquee names and the marquee players on that team now. Tom Benson's money would be better spent building a solid supporting cast to those guys and to shoring up the defense.

I just can't see the Saints taking Lienart with the intent of keeping him. I know it's a cliche', but they have too many other needs to guarantee $10M+ to another QB. They need help at OT, DT, and LB. I'm not saying that Lienart won't be a better long-term answer at QB than Brees. But Brees and McAllister are the marquee names and the marquee players on that team now. Tom Benson's money would be better spent building a solid supporting cast to those guys and to shoring up the defense.
you are correct. while brees' contract puts him hin line for a $12 million payday next year, they have no reason to invest $20+ million in another QB either. brees figures to be healthy going into the season, so they are protecting themselves in case he's a bust or can't come back physically. they have positioned themselves to have a pro bowl qb for the next several years with brees.i see the ramsey trade as a big deal. if they didn't think he was somehow important, they wouldn't have traded for him even as little as they have. they would have waited for him to be cut or pick up another FA. so they feel pennington's backup is important enough to get the guy they wanted. this means, to me, they are out of the 1.2 sweepstakes.

saints now have to find someone to partner with to make this deal. raiders? minnesota? cardinals? the price just dropped for any of these teams though, as the jets removed themselves from the bidding. if they can't get anyone to bite, i strongly believe they will draft d'brick and look to defensive help with the remainder of their draft. my gut says that if any deal happens, it is with minnesota. they have the picks that could make it happen.

I can't imagine the Ramsey trade impacting the draft at all.  Jets could still take a QB.  They only invested a 6th rounder in Ramsey.
:yes: NY papers today reporting rumors of JEts trading up for Leinart
Seems like a helluva lot of money sunk into 3 QBs...
Ramsey doesnt have much cash tied up in him, and if they draft Leinart, Penny will be shown the door. They'll keep Penny only if they go after Dbrick or Mario

you are correct. while brees' contract puts him hin line for a $12 million payday next year, they have no reason to invest $20+ million in another QB either. brees figures to be healthy going into the season, so they are protecting themselves in case he's a bust or can't come back physically. they have positioned themselves to have a pro bowl qb for the next several years with brees.i see the ramsey trade as a big deal. if they didn't think he was somehow important, they wouldn't have traded for him even as little as they have. they would have waited for him to be cut or pick up another FA. so they feel pennington's backup is important enough to get the guy they wanted. this means, to me, they are out of the 1.2 sweepstakes.

saints now have to find someone to partner with to make this deal. raiders? minnesota? cardinals? the price just dropped for any of these teams though, as the jets removed themselves from the bidding. if they can't get anyone to bite, i strongly believe they will draft d'brick and look to defensive help with the remainder of their draft. my gut says that if any deal happens, it is with minnesota. they have the picks that could make it happen.
Unless NO gets an outrageous offer, which I don't expect, I find it unimaginable that the Saints don't draft D'Brick to protect Brees. It was a bad LT filling in for an injured Roman Oben who was to blame for Brees getting injured, I'm sure the Saints done want that to happen again to a high-priced free agent they just signed.

Unless NO gets an outrageous offer, which I don't expect, I find it unimaginable that the Saints don't draft D'Brick to protect Brees. It was a bad LT filling in for an injured Roman Oben who was to blame for Brees getting injured, I'm sure the Saints done want that to happen again to a high-priced free agent they just signed.
i haven't seen the latest FA list for the o-line but, i agree, d'brick makes the most sense at 1.2 for them. between he and brown, they would have the oline anchored down for years. they could feel that between stinchcomb, who should be fully recovered from his preseason injury, that they have a good tandem between he and gandy. he was expected to replace gandy when the season began, IIRC. that's a lot to hope for though. they still need a C, regardless.is there a mini camp prior to the draft? stinchcomb's status might be key.

Users who are viewing this thread