What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does the NFL reduce injuries? (1 Viewer)

Sam Quentin

Footballguy
NFL players are getting bigger, stronger, faster and ligaments and bones can’t keep pace.

what are some ideas to reduce injuries?

Changes to uniforms, rules, fields, do nothing….etc???

Here is my crazy, out of left field idea…

change the turf….make it more conducive to cutting to protect acls, while making it a slower track.  Slowing players will reduce force of impact…

what are some other ideas…

at some point the NFL will likely need to do something…

it's starting to affect fantasy more than ever. if the trend continues (and increases) it will start turning ppl off of fantasy, and thus viewership.

cant tell you how many ppl i know watch 90% for fantasy purposes only.

Fantasy viewership is one aspect

another is that people don’t want to see their heroes unable to walk all that well in their 50s

yet another is the long term effects of concussions 

Wasn't this the point of that movie concussion? This game could not be continued as is because it ruins the lives of players? The NFL and many people believed that concussions would result in the end of football because no one would want to play if they knew they were putting their lives on the line. In the end, I think they concluded that yes, football is bad for players but the game will survive on because ultimately there's still a market for it?

The avg Offensive Lineman in the 60s and 70s was about 250 lbs on the top side. Same for the Defensive Line, guys weighed a lot less when they played. I think Manny Fernandez the Nose Tackle for the Miami Dolphins during their B2B Super Bowls was like 230 lbs. 

You have 350 lb guys falling on folks all over the field now, they need to have weight limits, nobody steps on the field over 300 lbs, let's start there. 

The avg Offensive Lineman in the 60s and 70s was about 250 lbs on the top side. Same for the Defensive Line, guys weighed a lot less when they played. I think Manny Fernandez the Nose Tackle for the Miami Dolphins during their B2B Super Bowls was like 230 lbs. 

You have 350 lb guys falling on folks all over the field now, they need to have weight limits, nobody steps on the field over 300 lbs, let's start there. 
was just going to post this…weight limits at each position. Think it is far fetched but one of the few things that could possibly work?

was just going to post this…weight limits at each position. Think it is far fetched but one of the few things that could possibly work?
Weight in the early 90s shot up over 300 lbs simultaneously when they outlawed steroids in the NFL. Players started looking for ways to bulk up without them and they've mastered how to push their bodies to their absolute max and it puts a lot of stress on their joints, etc.

NFL started steroid suspensions in 1989

Last edited by a moderator:
Injuries are a huge part of the game......and it will never change unless you make it flag football......and then the league will go bankrupt and that will be that. 

Injuries have been bad for decades upon decades. This is really nothing new.

This is never going to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL players are getting bigger, stronger, faster and ligaments and bones can’t keep pace.

change the turf….make it more conducive to cutting to protect acls, while making it a slower track.  Slowing players will reduce force of impact…

Oooo like the bouncy stuff at playgrounds. I like it.

I actually don't think injuries have increased, so much as the treating of them has. Long gone are the days of guys like Jack Youngblood breaking his leg, rubbing some dirt on it, and playing the rest of the season on it. 

I think teams, and players, are smarter about protecting their investments than ever before, and with each game reporter running to twitter after everything that even looks like an injury, we have more awareness of player's health, as its much harder(though not impossible) to hide it from the public. 

Truthfully, I think its stupid they added a 17th game. Beyond that, I don't think anything needs to be done about injuries. Everyone knows the risk involved, everyone knows the reward involved. There is a reason I will never argue that football players are overpaid, and they were grossly underpaid until the 90's.

it's starting to affect fantasy more than ever. if the trend continues (and increases) it will start turning ppl off of fantasy, and thus viewership.

cant tell you how many ppl i know watch 90% for fantasy purposes only.
:bye:  If it wasn't for fantasy I would watch minimally Sunday afternoons and actually get out and do something with my day. Maybe a good Thursday or Sunday or Monday night game.

I would watch all of the real playoffs regardless.

Does the CFL have the same injury issues?  If not, I’m thinking a wider field could help.  Maybe employ size limitations also. I’m not sure how to do this, just throwing it out there.

Setting aside the discussion of "caring" about the players, it's hurting the product. It's always been "next man up" but fantasy is definitely putting this under the microscope and the game is chewing players up and spitting them out.

It's a universal problem in pro sports. You buy a Jays ticket and Vlady and Bichette's pictures are on it. You go to the park and they are on every poster and banner. Then you find out they're not playing. No one wants to see that.

I think turf is probably the biggest culprit. With the amount of money the NFL has, it's disappointing to see the focus of turf development is to make it look more real, not function as well as grass with respect to injuries and whatnot. Seems with the rise of turf has come the rise of ACL-like injuries with cleats getting caught and bodies twisting and causing tears. I think they either need to greatly improve how the turf functions in this regard or they need to do away with it.

Why?  Every player who takes the field knows the risk.  I read when Miami went undefeated their o-line averaged 230lbs with a ML that weighed under 200.    Now the o-line are 300 lbs with LBs that weigh 240 and run 4.5 40s.

It is plain physics.    Ban weight lifting and speed training?  But that will never happen. Players are only getting bigger and faster.

Seems like soft tissue injuries are the biggest culprit these days. Wonder what the numbers are between those and broken bones or torn ligaments. 

I think it's the fact that people are bigger and faster and stretching their bodies to the limit.

Not much the nfl can do about that...

Why?  Every player who takes the field knows the risk.  I read when Miami went undefeated their o-line averaged 230lbs with a ML that weighed under 200.    Now the o-line are 300 lbs with LBs that weigh 240 and run 4.5 40s.

It is plain physics.    Ban weight lifting and speed training?  But that will never happen. Players are only getting bigger and faster.
i’ve said this before but the only reason this is a big issue is because the NFL lied about it and tried to cover it up for 20 years. If they just would ha e excepted all the facts from the beginning we could’ve proceeded just like boxing has.

The only plausible solution is better equipment which they’re working on and weight limits for each position. That will create a whole host of other issues from people not making weight to players then dehydrating their bodies similarly to wrestlers/mma guys.

My belief is the primary issue is that we have reduced on the field training and increased off the field training. You got these bigger and faster athletes creating more force then ever while the bodies skeletal makeup is the same as it's ever been. Also I think something to be said for muscle memory and taking that off the field training and applying to on the field performance is not as conducive as on field repetition.

It's ironic to me because we have less padded practice due to players health but I actually think it's made it worse.

I have no answer how to make it better that is viable.

No idea if the data backs this up, but I feel there are a lot of injuries resulting from hits below the knees. If they can keep tackles/blocks/hits above the knees and below the neck, maybe that helps? 

No idea if the data backs this up, but I feel there are a lot of injuries resulting from hits below the knees. If they can keep tackles/blocks/hits above the knees and below the neck, maybe that helps? 
The problem there is enforcement. I feel like 90% of players getting hit in the head, is the fault of the player getting hit. They tend to turtle up, and what was initially a shot to the midsection, is suddenly a head shot. 

Ministry of Pain said:

Came here to post this...

dgreen said:
It's hard enough for a defender to make an effective tackle that qualifies as pristine and faultless under the current rules.

Users who are viewing this thread