What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Drew Brees is being underestimated (1 Viewer)

The best quote from the article is by James Carville....

“People want to talk about how [Brees] never won MVP, [just] the one Super Bowl. . . . What difference does it make? Ted Williams never won a World Series. He’s still Ted f------ Williams.”
I like this one:

Brees stared his Chargers offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer dead in the face in 2004, as San Diego weighed drafting Brees’s replacement, and said, “That would be the worst f------ mistake this organization ever makes.”

The best quote from the article is by James Carville....

“People want to talk about how [Brees] never won MVP, [just] the one Super Bowl. . . . What difference does it make? Ted Williams never won a World Series. He’s still Ted f------ Williams.”
And what a Splendid Splinter he was...

It feels like ‘they’ the MVP voters are going to screw him over. Again. I hope not but Drew still doesn’t have 4K yards, though he’s pretty close. And the old argument that used to be used AGAINST Drew is now being used FOR Mahommes. Why Mahommes has had to overcome a bad defense so he’s forced to throw, and he’s a stat maniac. Brees meanwhile has been guided by a steady defense and reliable run game. It’s ridiculous how it’s being argued.

He's also 3-1, all 3 wins 4th quarter comebacks.
That's tends to happen when you're playing against a QB who can't throw the ball ten yards and the refs give you most every call/spot.  I was on his bandwagon until 4 weeks ago.  His performance has fallen off the cliff.  Kamara and/or Thomas are much more deserving now.

Something else I've made a point for everyone to realize is that ever since he started in New Orleans, he's 5-0 at home in the playoffs.  And I don't expect that stat to change next week, either: This has been by far, the best season of his career.  And I just feel it's destiny for Drew Brees and the Saints to win it all again, just like they did in 2009.

We all know that Drew Brees is going to pass Peyton Manning on the alltime career passing yardage list sometime this season, probably Week 5 against the Redskins.  But, I just saw something on www.espn.com that said that he wants to play at a high level until he's 45.  He's only 51 touchdown passes away from Peyton Manning's alltime record of 539.  But, the fact that he only has one ring and Tom Brady has five is a clear sign that no one outside the city of New Orleans is paying attention.  Drew Brees is probably going to be the first Saint to have his jersey retired.  And, still, the only thing people want to talk about is Tom Brady playing until he's 45.  That makes the fact that Drew Brees is chasing history less appreciative.  And, that's sad.  When it's all said and done, Tom Brady may end up with at least 5 rings, but Drew Brees is going to be the guy with all the records.  Are we not appreciating that fact enough?
no we're not appreciating it. look,  in the old saying that gets bounced around ALL the time: if you're starting a franchise today, who is your first pick? I've NEVER, EVER heard some.anyone say Drew Brees.EVER. it's always, in no order:

Elway

Marino, Brady, Young, Aikman, Montana, probably Big Ben,Jim Kelly,  Unitas,Manning,  Fouts, bla bla bla..have you EVER heard anyone say 'drew brees'?! nope. and neither have I. Not sure why that is , but I will take Marino, Elway, Young, Montana, Kelly ( 4 SBs means a lot), Peyton Manning, Rodgers, maybe Plunkett , before I even consider Drew Brees. Seen him fold like a cheap tent in a hurricane too many times ( *cough* road games.outdoors.on grass ring a bell?) I don't consider him on the same level as any of the players listed above..Stats are great and all , and winning a SB helps his cause , but I've always viewed Brees as a stat whore sellout - i.e., anything for the stats but W/L aren't that important. 

when you hear people speak about the top 10 greatest QBs of all time, Brees doesn't sniff that list. have you ever noticed that? you don't hear people say 'at 5 I'd put Brees'..it includes many of these same players listed above. 

You'd be silly to take him over Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Young, Montana, Aikman, Manning, Kelly, Unitas, Ben R. 

I don't care that he passed Manning on any list. he can't hold a candle to Manning.

no we're not appreciating it. look,  in the old saying that gets bounced around ALL the time: if you're starting a franchise today, who is your first pick? I've NEVER, EVER heard some.anyone say Drew Brees.EVER. it's always, in no order:

Elway

Marino, Brady, Young, Aikman, Montana, probably Big Ben,Jim Kelly,  Unitas,Manning,  Fouts, bla bla bla..have you EVER heard anyone say 'drew brees'?! nope. and neither have I. Not sure why that is , but I will take Marino, Elway, Young, Montana, Kelly ( 4 SBs means a lot), Peyton Manning, Rodgers, maybe Plunkett , before I even consider Drew Brees. Seen him fold like a cheap tent in a hurricane too many times ( *cough* road games.outdoors.on grass ring a bell?) I don't consider him on the same level as any of the players listed above..Stats are great and all , and winning a SB helps his cause , but I've always viewed Brees as a stat whore sellout - i.e., anything for the stats but W/L aren't that important. 

when you hear people speak about the top 10 greatest QBs of all time, Brees doesn't sniff that list. have you ever noticed that? you don't hear people say 'at 5 I'd put Brees'..it includes many of these same players listed above. 

You'd be silly to take him over Marino, Elway, Rodgers, Young, Montana, Aikman, Manning, Kelly, Unitas, Ben R. 

I don't care that he passed Manning on any list. he can't hold a candle to Manning.
Can't hold a candle to Manning, but we're going to ignore that Peyton's the king of the "one and done" in the playoffs after an 11/12 win reg season, and that he was gifted his second SB by Von Miller and that defense?  And that Brees beat him head-to-head in the SB? 

I'm not saying Brees is number 1 or is absolutely better than Peyton because he passed him on a list.  But to say he shouldn't even be considered in that group is asinine. 

... I've always viewed Brees as a stat whore sellout - i.e., anything for the stats but W/L aren't that important. 
One thing that Drew Brees has never done in his Saints career -- not once -- is go after any kind of stats to the detriment of the Saints' chances of winning a football game.

His gaudy statistics have been come by honestly and 'organically', in the flow of the offense that Sean Payton and/or Pete Carmichael call each week. Yes, very often over the years, Drew Brees dropping back has been the Saints' best card to play. But it's not like Brees is waving off Payton and calling his own number all the time to rack up yardage or TDs.

Something else I've made a point for everyone to realize is that ever since he started in New Orleans, he's 5-0 at home in the playoffs.  And I don't expect that stat to change next week, either: This has been by far, the best season of his career.  And I just feel it's destiny for Drew Brees and the Saints to win it all again, just like they did in 2009.
Damn, I didn't realize it had been 10 years. 

Users who are viewing this thread