What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How far will Quentin Griffin's stock rise tonight? (1 Viewer)

Big Daddy Kane

Footballguy
Any guesses as to how much Quentin Griffin's average draft position increases tonight? A good game will send it on an upward trend. Tonight we'll all get a look and see what Shanahan has planned for this kid.

folks PLEASE keep in mind that this is the FIRST of five pre-season games that Denver will be playing. Kubiak has already come out & said that there really isn't a gameplan for tonight so don't expect an exciting contest.If Griffin takes a handoff in the 1st qtr & goes 30+ yds then certainly many will be excited but remember...........there will still be 4 more games to determine a starter.

folks PLEASE keep in mind that this is the FIRST of five pre-season games that Denver will be playing. Kubiak has already come out & said that there really isn't a gameplan for tonight so don't expect an exciting contest.If Griffin takes a handoff in the 1st qtr & goes 30+ yds then certainly many will be excited but remember...........there will still be 4 more games to determine a starter.
Right. :rolleyes: This may be a meaningless game as far as win/loss records go, but jobs are won and lost based upon preseason, live hitting performance. If Quentin Griffin has a good game and shows his skills he moves further along to securing the starting role permanently. Griffin understands that, as well as Mike Anderson. I'm sure both don't view this as meaningless a game as you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just hoping he does not get injured.
:yes: True.At this point, yards don't matter much.This is my 18th fantasy season, and just when I think I can't possibly get more giddy over the start of preseason, another August rolls around and I surprise myself. They really should have rehab for this kind of thing.

In a few days, this game will be all but forgotten. Both teams will not be revealing anything new as far as plays, just very vanilla and then get the reserves some PT.

Yep, you won't see him longer than a couple series, so I don't expect his stock to rise any tonight unless he happens to bust one long.
linkAll but Hearst will be given playing time in Monday's Hall of Fame game with Washington. Kubiak said Hearst would be held out to rest a sore knee.

Griffin and Anderson will split time in the first half. Galloway and Beard will do the same in the second half.

We'll get a decent look at all the backs.

I'll say it here right now - Griffin isn't good. He might be better than the other DEN RBs right now, but he's no where close to Portis or TD pre-injury. I won't be drafting him at all.

I'll say it here right now - Griffin isn't good. He might be better than the other DEN RBs right now, but he's no where close to Portis or TD pre-injury. I won't be drafting him at all.
Worst post of the year.Domanick Davis isn't as good as Clinton Portis or pre-injury Terrell Davis. Better not draft him either. :loco:

Man, how many guys are as good as Portis or Terrell Davis? Terrell Davis could be a Hall of Famer, and Portis will be if he keeps up his current pace.Face it, there are only a handful of backs even in the same category as Portis right now, and there were next to none in the same category as Terrell Davis when he was in his prime.

From what you're saying, you only want top 5 RBs, and won't draft any in the top 10, that's ridiculous. :thumbdown:

I'm guessing Q's stock will rise tonight... at least it better seeing as how horrid the Redskins DLine is and the fact they are on turf... If he sucks he'll probably take a blow either way some will blow it out of proportion... :nerd:

Lets say Griffen has a very good night while Portis is decent. Do you downgrade Portis overall thinking that this is another indicator of the importance of the system vs. the talent of the player?I realize tonight is just a single preseason game, but would you look at the entire preseason this way?

Lets say Griffen has a very good night while Portis is decent. Do you downgrade Portis overall thinking that this is another indicator of the importance of the system vs. the talent of the player?I realize tonight is just a single preseason game, but would you look at the entire preseason this way?
I don't think their stats matter one bit during the preseason. What matters is whether they can evade defenders and break tackles. I'll be very interested in seeing how Griffin looks (I already know what Portis is capable of), but I won't be paying attention to his stats.BTW, nice catch by Darius Watts right there.

So far, I like the way Griffin is running. He's had very nice holes to run through the last two plays, but he's made some nice cuts and has shown a nice burst.

No, I probably wouldn't let any preseason games that don't have position battle implications (i.e. Denver RB) influence my drafting.The only thing to watch with a player like Portis is how he's used (although Gibbs says he'll get the ball tons), and how his line blocks for him. The O-line for Carolina will be another one to watch this preseason, as they could influence the worth of Davis/Foster this season.P.S. Plummer's thrown to Watts three times now (Watts only caught one), and he's not attempted a throw to Lelie yet, for what it's worth.

Lets say Griffen has a very good night while Portis is decent.  Do you downgrade Portis overall thinking that this is another indicator of the importance of the system vs. the talent of the player?

I realize tonight is just a single preseason game, but would you look at the entire preseason this way?
I don't think their stats matter one bit during the preseason. What matters is whether they can evade defenders and break tackles. I'll be very interested in seeing how Griffin looks (I already know what Portis is capable of), but I won't be paying attention to his stats.BTW, nice catch by Darius Watts right there.
BTW I didnt mention stats. My point is if Griffen appears to be elusive, quick, strong...etc. do you downgrade Portis a bit?

Lets say Griffen has a very good night while Portis is decent.  Do you downgrade Portis overall thinking that this is another indicator of the importance of the system vs. the talent of the player?

I realize tonight is just a single preseason game, but would you look at the entire preseason this way?
BTW I didnt mention stats. My point is if Griffen appears to be elusive, quick, strong...etc. do you downgrade Portis a bit?
Downgrade Portis for what? Not busting a 40-yard TD run yet? :confused:

No you upgrade Griffin... Portis is already downgraded by some because he is in a new offense...

This is obviously WAY premature to make a statement like this, but....well....here goes anyway.Quentin Griffin reminds me thus far an awful lot of Amos Zereoue last year with Pittsburgh. He's very effective in the open field off screens and misdirections, but running between the tackles, he's just too small. He can't move the pile and just seems very easy to tackle. He seems better suited to be a 3rd down back to me.Of course, Madden just said he's being figured for 20-22 touches a game with Anderson getting 8-10. I have to think Garrison Hearst may be the best every-down back they have, am I flat-out wrong? I may be - I didn't really see many Niners games last year - is Hearst washed up, and if so, why did he still get so many carries with Barlow on the roster?

Q looks great. The holes are enormous, but it looks like Q has the vision, speed and moves to make the most of them. Bump him up!!

I don't downgrade Ports; I upgrade Griffin. We already know about Portis's moves and quickness -- they're incredible.

Griffin3 attempts for 42 yards = 14 yards per carryaverage tier 1 RB = 4 yards per carryBut man he is short.

BTW I didnt mention stats.  My point is if Griffen appears to be elusive, quick, strong...etc.  do you downgrade Portis a bit?
I don't downgrade Ports; I upgrade Griffin. We already know about Portis's moves and quickness -- they're incredible.
yep... :thumbup:

Downgrade Portis for what? Not busting a 40-yard TD run yet? :confused:
The question mark in my mind was how much of Portis success do you attribute to the system in Denver. Thats not to say that he doesnt have talent, but that the system is perhaps a multiplier. If QG (not trendy...just lazy) looks very good, maybe that lends credence to the system argument.BTW I do agree to some extent with the post that Portis has already been docked somewhat, however he is still top 5 back in most projections.

Also BTW I am talking about using the whole preseason to make this assesment.

I have to think Garrison Hearst may be the best every-down back they have, am I flat-out wrong?
Griffin isn't as good as Hearst was in his prime. But right now, Hearst can't give you the quickness and burst that Griffin can.I think Hearst is a lot more like Zereoue than Griffin is. They both lack the explosiveness of Griffin.

The question isn't whether this stock goes up. Even if he played terrible, his stock would probably still go up because lots of football-starved fans will be watching the game and just seeing him start will get people's attention.The real question is: will his stock go up to the point where he's (at least temporarily) no longer a good VBD pick?

The question isn't whether this stock goes up. Even if he played terrible, his stock would probably still go up because lots of football-starved fans will be watching the game and just seeing him start will get people's attention.The real question is: will his stock go up to the point where he's (at least temporarily) no longer a good VBD pick?
Better start pimpin' Bell again :P

I have to think Garrison Hearst may be the best every-down back they have, am I flat-out wrong?
Griffin isn't as good as Hearst was in his prime. But right now, Hearst can't give you the quickness and burst that Griffin can.I think Hearst is a lot more like Zereoue than Griffin is. They both lack the explosiveness of Griffin.
I haven't seen much of Hearst lately, I remember that in the old days, he was much better between the tackles than his size would have indicated. I guess those days are over. I just want to see Griffin be more effective up the middle before I go too crazy with his ranking. He is looking at an awful lot of green in front of him when he is getting the ball - if the Broncos line can continue to blast open holes like that all year, you could put Bea Arthur back there and she'd go for 1,400 and 10 TDs. I have to think he'll need to get the tough yards a lot more often as defenses adjust.

The real question is: will his stock go up to the point where he's (at least temporarily) no longer a good VBD pick?
All the more reason to draft in July... :ph34r:

Another reason to take what we're seeing with a grain of salt - Danny Kanell is picking the defense apart. :P

5/45 (9.0 YPC average) at 1:13 remaining in first half for Griffin. Remember, he was #13 on my RB board before this MNF game!

MW

Looks like we are going to get a goal line preview.
That's what I need to see. While Griffin is definitely very quick and elusive, I want to see him do some damage at the goalline before I move him up. I play in a pretty TD-heavy league and I don't want to see Griffin blast up the field every week only to have Anderson come in and sponge all the TDs.

Users who are viewing this thread