What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How has Tampa Bay not clinched a playoff berth? (1 Viewer)

icypots

Footballguy
I don't understand how they could not make it in. Yet they have no X or Y next to their name in the standings. What a crock!

They could still lose the division to the Panthers and also miss out on the wildcard due to being on the short end of the stick on tiebreakers.But they do control their own destiny.

Fact #1: With a win, Washington is in the playoffs.Fact #2: If Washington wins and TB loses, they are both 10-6.Fact: #3: TB has the tiebreaker over Washington due to having beaten them.Fact #4(and the one I'm disputing): TB can miss the playoffs.Explain this ####, #####es!

Last edited by a moderator:
They clinch if the Giants win tomorrow.

Not sure why that is, but it just is.
Relax, icy, the only way that TB doesn't make it is if New Orleans, Oakland, Atlanta, and Dallas all win.
You sluts are contradicting yourselves! LOL...what a joke you guys are!!!! Hahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Relax, icy, the only way that TB doesn't make it is if New Orleans, Oakland, Atlanta, and Dallas all win.
You sluts are contradicting yourselves! LOL...what a joke you guys are!!!! Hahahahhahahaha!!!!!!!!!
If Washington wins the division, TB could lose out. A Giant victory gives NY the division. TB holds the tiebreaker over Washington so TB is in with a Giant victory.

No, they aren't. One was discussing a scenario where TB gets in, and one was talking about a scenario where TB didn't make it.Kinda like, 'Heads I win, Tails you lose'.

No, they aren't. One was discussing a scenario where TB gets in, and one was talking about a scenario where TB didn't make it.Kinda like, 'Heads I win, Tails you lose'.
Oh my gosh! I feel like such an ###!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to blame my obvious blunder on it being 4:30 in the morning at the time of my post, but I honestly don't know what to say here. Thanks for setting me straight.

If Washington wins the division, TB could lose out. A Giant victory gives NY the division. TB holds the tiebreaker over Washington so TB is in with a Giant victory.
So are you really telling me that Tampa Bay would lose the tiebreaker to Carolina, to Dallas, and to New York? Man, Tampa must have had one soft fuzzy piss poor schedule, huh?

TB loses tiebreaker to Dallas - not sure if this is precise, but I believe that if they lose, and the Giants win, and Dallas wins, and Carolina wins, TB is out of the playoffs.Edit - under that scenario, Wash is irrelevent. Dallas has tiebreaker over TB and the other two - Car and the G'ints would have better records - 10-6 v. 11-5

Fact #1: With a win, Washington is in the playoffs.

Fact #2: If Washington wins and TB loses, they are both 10-6.

Fact: #3: TB has the tiebreaker over Washington due to having beaten them.

Fact #4(and the one I'm disputing): TB can miss the playoffs.

Explain this ####, #####es!
Icy pots, #####es! Enjoy yo selves. Don't wrap ya end around something it can't pierce cleanly. Drab, drab! Icy pots. Yeah!

TB loses tiebreaker to Dallas - not sure if this is precise, but I believe that if they lose, and the Giants win, and Dallas wins, and Carolina wins, TB is out of the playoffs.

Edit - under that scenario, Wash is irrelevent. Dallas has tiebreaker over TB and the other two - Car and the G'ints would have better records - 10-6 v. 11-5
Washington can't be irrelevant. If Washington loses, then there would only be 6 teams 10-6 or better(NY, Dal, Chi, TB, Car, and Seat) so TB would be in.I think things are clearing up now:

TB has the tiebreaker over Washington, but every other playoff contender in the NFC has the tiebreaker over TB, most probably because TB is like a grandma's ###### on XMas! So if Washington wins their division, then TB would lose the WC tiebreakers to every other team.

Is that correct, my #####es?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/12/2.../scramble/3426/
If Tampa Bay beats the New Orleans Saints in Tampa as expected on Sunday, they’ll lock up the NFC South and the #3 seed in the playoffs. Even if the Saints somehow manage to end their four-game losing streak and pick up just their second conference victory on the season, Tampa is pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot anyway. In fact, the only scenarios in which Tampa could miss the playoffs are so obscure, that the NFL doesn’t even bother to detail them as part of the official playoff scenarios. After you go through the usual “team X wins or ties” scenarios to get Tampa into the playoffs, the official scenarios end with the curious phrase “TB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over DAL or NYG,” without any explanation for what actually has to happen in that scenario for the Bucs to end up on the driving range next week.Have no fear, Tampa fans looking for something to worry about this New Year’s weekend, here is what needs to happen for the Buccaneers to miss the playoffs. To even get to a tiebreaker situation which would leave Tampa Bay on the outside looking in, the Raiders must first beat the Giants on New Year’s Eve. On Sunday, Washington has to beat Philadelphia to win the NFC East, forcing the Giants into a wild card spot. After the Saints beat Tampa, Carolina has to beat Atlanta to capture the NFC South crown. Finally, Dallas has to beat St. Louis in the nightcap on Sunday to finish with 10 wins. If any of those things don’t happen, Tampa is in the playoffs.But if all those things do happen, the Buccaneers will be tied with Dallas and New York for the two Wild Card spots. As we all know, the first step to break a three-way Wild Card tie is to get down to one team per division. The Giants would win out over the Cowboys, because New York has one more NFC East win than Dallas does. New York and Tampa would then battle it out to determine who the #5 seed will be in the NFC.New York and Tampa didn’t play this year, so the head-to-head tiebreaker is out. After Tampa’s loss to New Orleans, both teams will have NFC records of 8-4. Tampa and New York have the requisite four common opponents to apply the third tiebreaker (Minnesota, New Orleans, Washington, San Francisco), but thanks to losses at San Francisco and the Week 17 upset at home, Tampa will finish tied with New York at 3-2 over their five games against the common opponents.That brings us to the old reliable strength of victory tiebreaker, a tiebreaker so rarely used that the NFL doesn’t list an explanation for how you determine it on its website. A team’s strength of victory is the winning percentage of the opponents that a team has beaten this season. Since the two teams in the tiebreaker situation have defeated the same number of teams, and there haven’t been any ties so far in the NFL this year, we’ll use the total number of wins instead of winning percentage for simplicity.Taking into account the scenario which is already needed to get to this point, New York would have a strength of victory of 71 wins while Tampa would have 70. The Giants would need wins from Arizona, San Francisco, Kansas City, and Denver to add to their strength of victory, while Tampa would need Minnesota, Buffalo, Green Bay, Miami and Detroit to win to add to the team’s total.If both teams end up with the same strength of victory, we next go to strength of schedule, adding in the records of the teams New York and Tampa lost to this season. The Giants seem to have the advantage in that regard, with the Buccaneers having lost to San Francisco and the Jets and the Giants not having a loss to anyone with a sub-.500 record. If Tampa gets the strength of victory tiebreaker over New York, the Giants end up with the #6 seed because of their aforementioned tiebreaker over Dallas.If the Giants lock up the #5 seed, however, that still leaves Tampa and Dallas to battle it out for the final playoff spot. The teams didn’t meet head to head, and would both have 8-4 NFC records if Dallas beats St. Louis and Tampa loses to New Orleans. The teams have four common opponents (Carolina, Washington, San Francisco, and Detroit), with Dallas and Tampa both 3-2 in those games. That brings us back to our good buddy strength of victory. Dallas would start with the disadvantage to Tampa, with a strength of victory of 69 to Tampa’s 70. Both teams defeated Detroit, making the result of the Lions’ game against the Steelers meaningless for this discussion.Dallas does have an advantage, however, in that it shares three of its four remaining vanquished opponents with the Giants — Arizona, San Francisco, and Kansas City. Their fourth, San Diego, plays against New York’s fourth, Denver. Since the Bucs had to lose the strength of victory tiebreaker with the Giants for their tiebreakers with the Cowboys to matter, they’ll probably lose a nearly identical tiebreaker to Dallas. If the Bucs and Cowboys tie on strength of victory, they would move to strength of schedule, which as we mentioned before, doesn’t help out the Buccaneers.So what does this mean for you Tampa fans out there who want to avoid having to sit through the final Sunday Night Football game of the year on ESPN waiting to see if Dallas has a chance to knock your team out of the playoffs? In addition to the playoff scenarios listed everywhere, add “losses by San Diego, Kansas City, San Francisco, and Arizona” and “wins by Minnesota, Buffalo, Green Bay, and Miami” to the list. If Tampa is losing to New Orleans late, get out your slide rule and start checking the scoreboards to see if you’ll need to cancel your plans on Sunday night.

TB has the tiebreaker over Washington, but every other playoff contender in the NFC has the tiebreaker over TB, most probably because TB is like a grandma's ###### on XMas!
No idea what this means, jwdwdfklk, but what I do know is TB beat Wash earlier this year, just like they did in the playoffs 5 years ago. :own3d:

TB has the tiebreaker over Washington, but every other playoff contender in the NFC has the tiebreaker over TB, most probably because TB is like a grandma's ###### on XMas!
No idea what this means, jwdwdfklk, but what I do know is TB beat Wash earlier this year, just like they did in the playoffs 5 years ago. :own3d:
And I do know that Washington has been to 5 super bowls and won 3 of them, while Tampa Bay was historically one of the worst franchises in the league prior to their ONE championship. But really...congratulations- You have as many titles as the Baltimore Ravens who have been around the league for less than 10 years.

And I do know that Washington has been to 5 super bowls and won 3 of them, while Tampa Bay was historically one of the worst franchises in the league prior to their ONE championship. But really...congratulations- You have as many titles as the Baltimore Ravens who have been around the league for less than 10 years.
Hey at least I only root for one team. Any other bandwagons you care to jump on? :thumbup:

Question: How can you tell that a team has been really, really bad for a long time?Answer: Their fans keep bringing up events that happened 20 years ago as if they make their team better than the team that has beaten them repeatedly since then.

Washington and Oakland fans are always the worst offenders, of course, although Cleveland fans have been known to pull out the 10-championship-games-in-a-row arguement from time to time, too.

Do you ever see a Packers fan walking around saying "We've won more championships than anyone?" Do you ever see Dallas and Denver fans walking around saying "We've been to more SBs than anyone?" Of course not. These teams have actually been pretty good recently, and their fans understand that nothing their team did 30 years ago affects what that team is today.

Why not save us all some time and just admit that your team is worse than his rather than bring up ancient history?

Question: How can you tell that a team has been really, really bad for a long time?

Answer: Their fans keep bringing up events that happened 20 years ago as if they make their team better than the team that has beaten them repeatedly since then.

Washington and Oakland fans are always the worst offenders, of course, although Cleveland fans have been known to pull out the 10-championship-games-in-a-row arguement from time to time, too.

Do you ever see a Packers fan walking around saying "We've won more championships than anyone?" Do you ever see Dallas and Denver fans walking around saying "We've been to more SBs than anyone?" Of course not. These teams have actually been pretty good recently, and their fans understand that nothing their team did 30 years ago affects what that team is today.

Why not save us all some time and just admit that your team is worse than his rather than bring up ancient history?
:eek: I have never heard of a more untrue statement about a group of sports fans.ETA: Example Link

:eek: I have never heard of a more untrue statement about a group of sports fans.

ETA: Example Link
Yeah, I realized after I posted that Packers fans were a bad example, since Packers fans sort of consider themselves their team the entire history of the NFL- or at least the parts that matter.I'd also add Dolphins fans to the list of fans that bring up history way more than is necessary. They'll never let 1972 go.

Question: How can you tell that a team has been really, really bad for a long time?Answer: Their fans keep bringing up events that happened 20 years ago as if they make their team better than the team that has beaten them repeatedly since then.

:goodposting: Sure jwdwdfkl loved that 1983 title, when he was 3 or 4 years old. :thumbup:

Hey at least I only root for one team. Any other bandwagons you care to jump on? :thumbup:
I've been called many things, but a bandwagon jumper has never been one. I'm extremely loyal to all Maryland/DC area sports teams, and I always will be. Nice try at changing the subject though.

I was born in 1982. I rarely bring up stuff that I havn't seen happen. But I definitely think that anything that happens during one's lifetime should count.

And for the record, Capella was the first one to bring up history when he mentioned a playoff game 5 years ago. I was just following his lead.

And for the record, Capella was the first one to bring up history when he mentioned a playoff game 5 years ago. I was just following his lead.
There is no point in attempting to have a serious discussion with Capella. He's on this forum to get under your skin. Your mistake was not just throwing him on ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread