What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Long Will Twitter Survive With Musk? (1 Viewer)

How Long Will Twitter Survive With Musk?

• 100-150 days from today 11/20/22

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
@Runkle recently posted:

A Last-Longer over/under bet on Liz Truss as England's PM vs. how long Twitter survives with Elon running it would have been an amazing bet. "My money's on the lettuce".

She lasted 49 days.

What's your guess on how long Twitter will survive with Musk?

The assumption is he does what he's already said he'll do and appoints a CEO as I don't think anyone reasonably expects him to remain CEO of three big companies. But it also seems pretty clear he'll be leading regardless of who the CEO is.

What's your take on how long Twitter survives?

Last edited:
IF Musk has some angle....it's some sort of alien angle that our mathmaticians and physicists haven't figured out yet.

Does Musk sell it to someone else at a huge loss count as surviving? He can afford to run it for a long time losing a couple of billion a year if he wants to.

"With Musk" is the key for me. Twitter will exist in some fashion, but he'll bow out within 100 days. He just needs to find an exit that will allow him to claim persecution or cancel culture or whatever he thinks will allow him to preserve some measure of his fading stature.

Interesting. Thanks.

Thanks @BeTheMatch for the vote. Can you elaborate on why you think it only survives 50-100 more days?
"With Musk" is the key for me. Twitter will exist in some fashion, but he'll bow out within 100 days. He just needs to find an exit that will allow him to claim persecution or cancel culture or whatever he thinks will allow him to preserve some measure of his fading stature.
Ha, maybe. Even Elon says "How do you make a small fortune in social media? Start out with a large one."

ETA: why is my link not showing up correctly?
ETA2: Derp. Weird being back on FBG again after PSF moved to discord.

Between the World Cup, a busy NFL Sunday and reinstating the person we're not talking about here, I have to think today was about as stressful a workload for the servers as Twitter's had in a little while. I don't know how it was everywhere, and I'm certain with that many users there were some issues in some places, but servers seemed to be fine for me all day. Performance was totally normal.

I voted <50 because "with Musk" seemed like it could be understood a few different ways. I think he'll have somebody else running the show by then.

feels like he understands that people will participate MORE if they hate him. it works for people like Howard Stern, etc. and has for forever.

twitter will be around a good long while i assume considering it's widely used outside of the US and it feels like no one outside the US really cares about Elon Musk trolling.

Between the World Cup, a busy NFL Sunday and reinstating the person we're not talking about here, I have to think today was about as stressful a workload for the servers as Twitter's had in a little while. I don't know how it was everywhere, and I'm certain with that many users there were some issues in some places, but servers seemed to be fine for me all day. Performance was totally normal.

If nobody knew Musk took over, it would just be business as usual. Same if Facebook changed hands. Use it or don`t use it is up the individual

feels like he understands that people will participate MORE if they hate him. it works for people like Howard Stern, etc. and has for forever.

twitter will be around a good long while i assume considering it's widely used outside of the US and it feels like no one outside the US really cares about Elon Musk trolling.
I don't think Stern was ever striving to be hated. Controversial? Sure. Not hated.

I don't think Stern was ever striving to be hated. Controversial? Sure. Not hated.
Musk has no desire to ne hated. He is trying to provide a platform where different viewpoints can be heard without getting shutdown by the gatekeepers. Musk haters believe in gatekeepers.

Why would Twitter die?

That's a question for @Runkle.
Joe, I don't understand why you're calling out @Runkle. You asked him about his comment one or more times in the Twitter thread. Now you've quoted him in opening this thread, and now you're mentioning him again. Seems a bit fixated on him. This topic is just as valid and will get get as many replies without repeatedly mentioning another member's name. I don't think you want us to start topics based on quotes from someone else in another topic. Just my 2 cents. I have no opinion in this poll and I don't know @Runkle btw.

It’ll be around well after 3 years. But I despise what he’s done. He wildly overpaid for Twitter and when he couldn’t get out of it the writing was on the wall. They had to cut costs with that debt service. But no reason to treat people the way he did. They will be doing Harvard Business Review case studies using him as what not to do as a leader. Stripe CEO will be the case study of how to do cuts the right way. Elon the opposite.

I didn't vote because there are too many variables behind the phrase "With Musk":

- with Musk as hands-on owner and de facto CEO?
- with Musk as Jerry Jones-style owner, with a puppet CEO who takes care of the boring stuff but doesn't actually run the company?
- with Musk as hands-off owner who gives full control to the CEO?

:shrug:

It’ll be around well after 3 years. But I despise what he’s done. He wildly overpaid for Twitter and when he couldn’t get out of it the writing was on the wall. They had to cut costs with that debt service. But no reason to treat people the way he did. They will be doing Harvard Business Review case studies using him as what not to do as a leader. Stripe CEO will be the case study of how to do cuts the right way. Elon the opposite.

The primary motivation to fire people was not to cut cost. Musk was cleaning house to eliminate the culture there. Musk wants people there who support his vision. Getting a leaner meaner organization is a secondary goal. Musk is very particular about who works for him and when he bought Twitter much of the existing workforce openly talked about quitting. The existing workforce and Musk ate not a match and Musk knew that even before he bought it.

I didn't vote because there are too many variables behind the phrase "With Musk":

- with Musk as hands-on owner and de facto CEO?
- with Musk as Jerry Jones-style owner, with a puppet CEO who takes care of the boring stuff but doesn't actually run the company?
- with Musk as hands-off owner who gives full control to the CEO?

:shrug:

Musk has no interest in being a hands off owner. He is very much going to direct Twitter into implementing his vision with whomever he chooses as a CEO. That is why he bought Twitter. It was not to make money.

I don’t think Elon wants to be hated. Actually the total opposite. He sees himself as a hero and liberator. When he put out his poll for reinstating you know who, he pretty much said most of the “No” votes had to be from bots that need to be eliminated.

If nobody knew Musk took over, it would just be business as usual. Same if Facebook changed hands. Use it or don`t use it is up the individual

That's how it feels to me as well. But with the predictions of doom with all the people fired, I wondered how it would hold up to what had to be a high-traffic weekend with the events going on.

I'm super interested in this as we operate the forums here in a similar structure trying to accommodate traffic at peak times and such, even if it's microscopic in comparison.

I think it’s much less likely to crash than it it was lose money from sponsors, slowly lose some of its core users and turn into a Facebook/Reddit. That’s still a big successful business but it lacks the “credibility” and “prestige” of Twitter. I’m not saying Twitter ever deserved those things but there is not doubt that Twitter drives much more in the world of news and entertainment than FB or Reddit.

I think it’s much less likely to crash than it it was lose money from sponsors, slowly lose some of its core users and turn into a Facebook/Reddit. That’s still a big successful business but it lacks the “credibility” and “prestige” of Twitter. I’m not saying Twitter ever deserved those things but there is not doubt that Twitter drives much more in the world of news and entertainment than FB or Reddit.

Interesting. I thought the worry was very much about crashing and not being able to functionally operate without the staff that was cut.

My understanding is Twitter has been pretty awful with sponsor advertising for years.

Why would Twitter die?

That's a question for @Runkle.
I think he was making a joke, that you’re taking to heart. The joke was also a play on how short the last British PM lasted.

It’s pretty obvious that even if Musk was a complete moron (and he’s very much the opposite) something as established as Twitter isn’t going to crash and burn so quickly.

I don’t think Elon wants to be hated. Actually the total opposite. He sees himself as a hero and liberator.

I think that's an interesting point and one that makes the topic interesting. I'm not sure what he wants from this.

I would think the whole Twitter Blue change with paying a monthly charge for premium features and being deprioritized if you don’t pay, and people losing verified status, etc. will be noticeable to Twitter users. Those seem to be more than business as usual.

Last edited:
I would think the whole Twitter Blue change with paying a monthly charge for premium features and being deprioritized if you don’t pay, and people losing verified status, etc. will be noticeable to Twitter users. Those seem to be more than business as usual.

Agreed. That would be a significant change. Will be interesting to see if that happens and how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread