What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many people realized that Jags-Broncos is being broadcast exclusively on ESPN+? (1 Viewer)

ignatiusjreilly

Footballguy

I follow sports media pretty closely, and I had no idea this was happening until I saw it mentioned last week during MNF.

Although I find it hilarious that, after spending the first half of the season trying to cram Russ down our throats on island games, now the NFL is putting him behind a paywall. Honestly, I'm about at the point where I'd pay $6.99 a month to NOT have to watch Russ and that clogged-toilet of an offense.

I knew and commented on it during the Sunday Night Game.

Most people will joke lightly about it, but was this seems to me to be is a movement away from group packages and into a la carte games. It'll be awful for the consumer in the end, especially if you consume the NFL like I do, which is watching all the games. Thursday is on Prime, Sunday morning on ESPN Plus. Just another way for the piggies to make more money at the trough.

Most people will joke lightly about it, but was this seems to me to be is a movement away from group packages and into a la carte games. It'll be awful for the consumer in the end, especially if you consume the NFL like I do, which is watching all the games. Thursday is on Prime, Sunday morning on ESPN Plus. Just another way for the piggies to make more money at the trough.
Yeah, I realized that it's technically the same thing as putting TNF on Prime, but a heck of a lot more people subscribe to that than to ESPN+.

I think it's actually part of a larger trend with streaming, where you have to subscribe to all these different services to the point where you're paying about as much as you would for a traditional cable bundle

I think it's actually part of a larger trend with streaming, where you have to subscribe to all these different services to the point where you're paying about as much as you would for a traditional cable bundle

I agree. I said in that other thread that we'll look back on DirecTV and think of that as a really good deal that we wish was still around.

And I hate DirecTV since they got bought out by AT&T.

Live football is the Liam Neeson of television, in that they have a very particular set of skills (that will be milked for every last nickel). Still, the Bronco offering is a banana peel slip.

Thinking of the tons of Broncos and Jaguars that surely will be played by mistake because nobody realizes the game had started already and they can't take them out *

-QG

* - gotta be in the dozens no?

Thinking of the tons of Broncos and Jaguars that surely will be played by mistake because nobody realizes the game had started already and they can't take them out *

-QG

For fantasy purposes, why would it be any more unusual that the other 9:30 games they've done?

I will be sleeping away don't get up until 11 AM ET on Sunday. I normally get to watch the 4th quarter but guess not this week. Don't care much either. They need to do away with these 9:30 AM ET games they are just annoying for fantasy purposes and setting lineups.

I will be sleeping away don't get up until 11 AM ET on Sunday. I normally get to watch the 4th quarter but guess not this week. Don't care much either. They need to do away with these 9:30 AM ET games they are just annoying for fantasy purposes and setting lineups.
Lol .. so games across the pond are not going to go away. How do you propose “doing away” with the 930am starts for these games?

Lol .. so games across the pond are not going to go away. How do you propose “doing away” with the 930am starts for these games?
They don't have to start them at 9:30. The first few years they were all 1:00 games before they decided to add another island game

Yes, it’s horrible. I don’t want to have to subscribe to D+, Yahoo, Netflix and Hulu+++ to see 80% of the games.

people actually pay for ESPN+?
If you like college football, college basketball, and soccer - it’s actually a smoking deal. I like all of those so it works for me. If you’re indifferent to those things, it isn’t for you. I have it as part of the Disney+/Hulu bundle and I’d probably pay more.
Get ESPN+ as part of my Verizon service. Along with the rest of this bundle, but ESPN+ is the only part with value.

-QG

For fantasy purposes, why would it be any more unusual that the other 9:30 games they've done?

Maybe that little bit bc it won't be on regular TV
-QG
Yeah I guess it could be a little trickier. I guess I feel like if I didn't know ahead of time there would be a 9:30 game, I would never turn on the tv, and hence still never know there was a game. But yeah, some people might go strictly by the tv listings in which case they would miss it.

I can't remember the last time I watched a London game. I'm sure I have....I have a vague memory of Blake Bortles at Wembley...

If you like college football, college basketball, and soccer - it’s actually a smoking deal. I like all of those so it works for me. If you’re indifferent to those things, it isn’t for you. I have it as part of the Disney+/Hulu bundle and I’d probably pay more.
As a fan of a G5/mid-major college team, ESPN+ is a lifesaver. Seemingly half the football games and more than half of the basketball games are on ESPN+ now, so I pay for it to get that content. There are tons of college basketball games on during the season, if you're as much of a fan as I am. Having NFL Primetime and an occasional NFL game is a nice bonus, though I'm sure they'll slowly start drip-increasing the monthly fee. I wish it was "free" (as in "not a la carte") content like ESPN3 tied to my cable subscription, but I do get my money's worth with ESPN+.

It's obviously not ESPN+ that is the problem here. The problem is that while the NFL says it wants to have games in Europe to 'grow the fan base' they at that same time make sure that some of the American market won't be able to watch the game. It started with the NFL network games but at least I kind of understood that since, well, it was an NFL owned channel. But now with Prime and ESPN+ and whatever else they try to shovel, it's clearly a shortsighted money grab. Yes the NFL is popular enough to survive these kinds of decisions but I think it is serving to do the opposite of 'grow the fan base' at some level.

I do, but mainly because I'm a huge college baseball fan and that's the primary way to watch those games during the regular season.

I've got it as part of the Hulu/Disney+ bundle so other folks may already have access to it and just don't realize it...

I found out a few days ago. Don’t really care about this particular game, but would’ve watched. I enjoy the Sunday morning games.
Greed will eventually kill the sport imo

what's the point? is anyone really going to buy espn+ for one or two crappy London games?
I know, right? As the testimonials here from folks like @McBokonon demonstrate, it's a niche product. For those who want it for small-time college football or lower-profile sports or whatever, it's a great value. So why are they using it to broadcast a mass-market NFL game?

I'd be shocked if it generated more than a handful of sign-ups

what's the point? is anyone really going to buy espn+ for one or two crappy London games?
I know, right? As the testimonials here from folks like @McBokonon demonstrate, it's a niche product. For those who want it for small-time college football or lower-profile sports or whatever, it's a great value. So why are they using it to broadcast a mass-market NFL game?

especially given what it likely cost espn for the rights for the game...unless it was just an "add-in" of sorts as part of the MNF deal. I guess this is just how things are going to be from now are as they are doing it with baseball too...some games are on Yes, or ESPN or Hulu or Amazon....all very annoying since you already pay a fortune for all these services already.

especially given what it likely cost espn for the rights for the game...unless it was just an "add-in" of sorts as part of the MNF deal. I guess this is just how things are going to be fromI now are as they are doing it with baseball too...some games are on Yes, or ESPN or Hulu or Amazon....all very annoying since you already pay a fortune for all these services already.
I'm sure it was a throw-in with the MNF package. NFL wants to experiment with different formats and platforms.

In fact, I would recommend not buying ESPN+ just for this, since it will be better long-term if this is a flop and they don't look to expand it in the future.

I follow sports media pretty closely, and I had no idea this was happening until I saw it mentioned last week during MNF.

Although I find it hilarious that, after spending the first half of the season trying to cram Russ down our throats on island games, now the NFL is putting him behind a paywall. Honestly, I'm about at the point where I'd pay $6.99 a month to NOT have to watch Russ and that clogged-toilet of an offense.

I can tell you this about the NFL only showing the Thursday night games on Amazon Prime: :hot: My 89 year old mother is pissed off at the NFL!! :hot:She's paying over $200 per month for cable and now she can't even watch Thursday night football. That's a cruel thing to do to an 89 year old woman who is widowed and on fixed income! She is not about to pay more money just put on her reading glasses and try to watch the games on her cell phone.

As a fan of a G5/mid-major college team, ESPN+ is a lifesaver. Seemingly half the football games and more than half of the basketball games are on ESPN+ now, so I pay for it to get that content. There are tons of college basketball games on during the season, if you're as much of a fan as I am. Having NFL Primetime and an occasional NFL game is a nice bonus, though I'm sure they'll slowly start drip-increasing the monthly fee. I wish it was "free" (as in "not a la carte") content like ESPN3 tied to my cable subscription, but I do get my money's worth with ESPN+.

RE: ESPN +

If you're a hockey fan like me, you have to love the fact that when ESPN+ took the place of NHL-TV last season, they did it for $69.99 instead of the $149 I was paying previously for NHL TV.
Even with the price increase to $99 this year, it's still a bargain, even if you are only using it for NHL hockey!

Get a VPN and subscribe to DAZN.

In Canada, no issues getting these games, they’re all on TV. Actually, on sundays we have 3-4 games available on TV @ 1pm and usually most of the 4pm games as well. You can flip through the channels/games, but I prefer the triple screen method. Redzone on one and games on the other 2.

I've got it as part of the Hulu/Disney+ bundle so other folks may already have access to it and just don't realize it...
This is why I have it and I'd guess why most people have it. I've never watched game or video on ESPN+ but have read some articles but to your point I had it for a few months before realizing that I did.

Do you know if ESPN+ has a record option? Typically for these early Sunday games I'll record them, sleep in, get up around 1.5-2 hours before the noon kickoffs and have plenty of time to zip through it. Being forced to actually get up and sit through it all would be a drag, but I'll do it.

They don't have to start them at 9:30. The first few years they were all 1:00 games before they decided to add another island game

I'm not sure who exactly wanted the London games at that time. It's awful for the west coast, and while the east coast can theoretically watch four games b2b (as we could over here, theoretically), I'm not sure how many would. Maybe the TV powers that be in whatever market wanted the game with no counter programming from Redzone and/or more attractive domestic games?

I know from a point of view of having gone to a couple of the London games, a 2:30 (think it may even be 1:30 this week as we lose our daylight savings before you guys) local kickoff would be a huge turnoff, in that it'd necessitate more than twice the hotel cost

This is why I have it and I'd guess why most people have it. I've never watched game or video on ESPN+ but have read some articles but to your point I had it for a few months before realizing that I did.

Do you know if ESPN+ has a record option? Typically for these early Sunday games I'll record them, sleep in, get up around 1.5-2 hours before the noon kickoffs and have plenty of time to zip through it. Being forced to actually get up and sit through it all would be a drag, but I'll do it.
I don't know about a record option, but it does have an option to pause, fast-forward, rewind, etc., games that are running live When I'm watching college basketball games I'll often start watching maybe ~30 minutes after the actual tip-off, start watching from the beginning, and end up catching-up with live play sometime in the second half.

ESPN+ also stores replays, so you can re-watch games for days after they initially air. So you don't need to record so long as you plan to watch within a few days.

The London matchups are like TNF except if the Jags always played. Hard pass.

Apparently the Jags were getting 15% of annual revenue from just the London game. Now it would be even more behind a paywall.

Users who are viewing this thread