What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much longer before Frank Gore is named (1 Viewer)

How soon?

• Next 1-4 games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Next 5-8 games

• Next 9-12 games

• Never

• Total voters
With Mike Nolan making the switch to Alex Smith this week, the question has to be asked for Gore. The intent isn't to debate whether or not Gore would succeed in the role, but how much longer before he gets a shot.

The bottom line is, I dont think they can win with Alex Smith. I doubt he's ready and that team isn't good enough to help carry him. So sooner or later, Gore is going to get his chance. He could be a nice back, but has had injury problems in college. Hopefully that is behind him. Barlow is a dud, bottom line, and I doubt I'll hear any objections to that. So whether Nolan gets sick of Barlow to the point where he gives Gore a shot or where they keep losing and they better get Gore in there to see what he's got, he'll get a chance. I believe in the next 1-4 games. There are only 2 scenarios where they keep Gore from being on the field.. 1, Barlow gets his ### in gear like Drew Brees last season or 2, because Gore is a rookie and might not be able to pick up blitzes as well which would not help Smith.

I live in N.Cali, but have made it a point to NOT watch 49er games... until they're the only one on. So now that I've seen a game, I feel entitled to an opinion.Barlow is not the problem. He's not the stud people were hoping for last year and that has lead to some resentment. From what I saw he ran hard, fought for that extra yard and didn't miss many assignments. Gore missed a couple blocks BADLY. As a Gore owner, I'm not feeling too hopeful and while Barlow may have a low YPC, he's getting hit a yard behind the line of scrimmage more often than not.

Gore not only missed a couple blocks last week, he had a bad fumble. I know Barlow is bad, but Gore has look worse (if that's possible). The o-line is the worst in the league, and at least Barlow's big frame allows him to get those extra tough yards. Gore goes down on contact.

Didn't vote on the poll. Wish there was a "it doesn't matter" option.I don't think Barlow or Gore is their RB of the future. One of them may start in '06 -- if only because the team has so many other holes to fill.

You're right Double J, just wishful thinking coming from a 'Cane hater. I don't think Gore fits the usual mold though.

After last weeks game probably not this season!Gore was horrible in pass protection, ran loust, lost 12 yards receiving and fumble the ball for a TD for the Cards. Nolan was furious. Barlow is a big back who can pass protect Alex Smith then break off for a outlet pass.

There's no way they start Gore any time soon now that they've switch to their rookie Franchise QB. Gore would absolutely get Smith killed back there. You can forget about which RB is better or who should get a shot based on talent, right now it all comes down to who will be better at protecting Smith and picking up blitzers and Barlow wins that competition hands down.

There's no way they start Gore any time soon now that they've switch to their rookie Franchise QB. Gore would absolutely get Smith killed back there. You can forget about which RB is better or who should get a shot based on talent, right now it all comes down to who will be better at protecting Smith and picking up blitzers and Barlow wins that competition hands down.
Bingo.

SF isnt going to have any great rb's anytime soon. The line is horrible. With smith taking over i dont see anything changine for the rbs. Your not going to put 2 rookies back there full time and barlow is the better back for this year. Gore will get his shot next year.

When did Barlow become such a great blocker?
Nobody said he did...he's just better than Gore. Gore clearly missed some key blocks that got Rattay creamed last week.And Barlow did get 4.5ypc on his measly 10 carries last week. Woop de do. No RB is going to make much out of that slop.

When did Barlow become such a great blocker?
Nobody said he did...he's just better than Gore. Gore clearly missed some key blocks that got Rattay creamed last week.And Barlow did get 4.5ypc on his measly 10 carries last week. Woop de do. No RB is going to make much out of that slop.
:goodposting: He's not a great blocker but he is the lesser of two evils

Are you sure barlow is the better pass protecting back? I know Barlow used to stink at it which was why Hurst played so much. I think Gore gets his shot in the next few weeks.

Extremely :goodposting:

There's no way they start Gore any time soon now that they've switch to their rookie Franchise QB.  Gore would absolutely get Smith killed back there.  You can forget about which RB is better or who should get a shot based on talent, right now it all comes down to who will be better at protecting Smith and picking up blitzers and Barlow wins that competition hands down.
Are you sure barlow is the better pass protecting back? I know Barlow used to stink at it which was why Hurst played so much. I think Gore gets his shot in the next few weeks.
Based on the Sunday night game, there is no question Barlow is the lesser of two evils when it comes to blocking.Barlow also ran harder than Gore. On several carries, he turned a 2 yd gain into a 4 yd gain, or a loss into a 1 yd gain. As someone else said, Barlow is not the (entire) problem. The O-line is poor. I also think the play calling has been terrible. I still cannot understand how a team with a 14 pt lead in the 1st qtr and a 2 pt lead at half only runs the ball 13 times for the entire game. With the two quick def. TDs, a mediocre QB, and a starting WR out, SF should have tried much harder to establish a running game. Philly might be able to get away passing 70+% of the time, but no one will ever confuse rattay for McNabb or Lloyd for Owens.

There's no way they start Gore any time soon now that they've switch to their rookie Franchise QB.  Gore would absolutely get Smith killed back there.  You can forget about which RB is better or who should get a shot based on talent, right now it all comes down to who will be better at protecting Smith and picking up blitzers and Barlow wins that competition hands down.
I could not agree more.The 49ers are sensitive to RB's who can't block. Anybody remember Lawrence Phillips costing Steve Young his CAREER by missing the block that was the sack that knocked him silly?

I will say I am shocked at the number of people who put "never" in this poll. I haven't been impressed with Gore, thru pre-season OR 2 of the 4 games in reg season, but so many people seem so high on him (including Adam Schecter and most of the NFL network reports I see) that I just figured he'd be doing better than he is in this poll.

I could not agree more.The 49ers are sensitive to RB's who can't block. Anybody remember Lawrence Phillips costing Steve Young his CAREER by missing the block that was the sack that knocked him silly?

I will say I am shocked at the number of people who put "never" in this poll. I haven't been impressed with Gore, thru pre-season OR 2 of the 4 games in reg season, but so many people seem so high on him (including Adam Schecter and most of the NFL network reports I see) that I just figured he'd be doing better than he is in this poll.

Gore will likely be given a shot at some point this year. When, I really don't know. The Oline is terrible right now, so really it doesn't matter much who starts. Both RBs looked bad in the Arz game IMO. Both fumbled, one just happend to bounce right for Barlow. Both looked like they tried to run hard, but there simply wasn't anything there. Even if Barlow does hold on to the "strater" spot, I can't see any way that Gore does not continue to dig into his touches. Plus, it's not like Gore has to make vast improvements in his blocking to catch up to Barlow.

How long until Reggie Bush or LenDale White is the starting runnig back??? Hopefully 11 months from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long until Reggie Bush or LenDale White is the starting runnig back??? Hopefully 11 months from now.
Guess you missed the part about the 49ers needing OL and defensive help.

Guess you missed the part about the 49ers needing OL and defensive help.
I could only hope that SF uses it's 1st pick on a Tackle in the next draft.

SF will have to add a RB because Barlow is making too much money and Gore can`t seem to cut the mustard!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did Gore look yesterday? I checked the gamebook on nfl.com and saw that he got half of his carries in the first half. Barlow was completely shut down it looks like.

Gore is going to be one heckuva RB, IMO. I believe he's a mortal lock to be their feature back at some point (whether this season or next).

How did Gore look yesterday? I checked the gamebook on nfl.com and saw that he got half of his carries in the first half. Barlow was completely shut down it looks like.
I hope not too soon. As a Niner fan and a barlow hater, i'd rather see barlow in their getting smashed until they can find a QB to throw the ball..

Gore = Hearst, Hicks=BarlowGore is the starter with Hicks being the backup and cut into some carries.No need to get Bush, shore up the Oline and Def and SF can be an improved team.

I can't believe 80 of you guys voted never.

Code:
Next 1-4 games	  [ 44 ]	  ** [23.91%]Next 5-8 games	 [ 31 ]	 ** [16.85%]Next 9-12 games	 [ 29 ]	 ** [15.76%]Never	 [ 80 ]	 ** [43.48%]

Gore = Hearst, Hicks=BarlowGore is the starter with Hicks being the backup and cut into some carries.No need to get Bush, shore up the Oline and Def and SF can be an improved team.
Seems he was pretty much dead on...Don't remember if I voted in this one or not. Personally I like Gore, but he's risky with those knees...

Users who are viewing this thread