What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much money a month does your wife spend? (1 Viewer)

JuniorGong

Footballguy
So I handle paying all the major bills in our family (mortgage, car, gas & electric, etc.) while my wife basically handles anything that is kid related. Grocery shopping is a shared responsibility so basically each month my wife is paying for some of the groceries, gas for her SUV and anything that might be for the kids. She works part-time making good money as a consultant but typically her work is front-loaded to the first half of the year. She is a 1099 consultant so she doesn't have any taxes taking out and I just handle things come tax time. She mentioned she is getting low in her account since we are entering the fall so I told her I would write her a check for 10K to cover her for the last four months of the year. She said that won't get her through the end of the year as typically she is blowing through 3 to 3.5K a month. 

I realize kids are expensive and lord knows at least one Amazon packages shows up at my house every ####### day but still seems excessive. However, figured I would see what other FBGs are dealing with before making it an issue. Regardless, I will probably just suck it up because frankly I don't need her poking around my spending habits as that could lead to problems for me.

My wife handles all the money in my family, with the exception of savings, pension, and 403b.  She is very frugal, much more than me, and I'm confident it is best for my family.  I spend very little on things and I know as I approach retirement this is the best thing for us.  Together with my retirement savings, pension, 403b, and social security, along with her savings, 401k, and social security, we will have a nice retirement.  I can't say I alone would have accomplished that.  In fact, I know that if it were left solely up to me we wouldn't have been better off.  I think any person in a family needs to recognize these things early on.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know how married couples don’t share bank accounts.  Why are all bills not everyone’s responsibility?
it's more a problem of one spouse or the other not being responsible for their actions vs. needing to have combined accounts to ensure accountability by both parties.

it's more a problem of one spouse or the other not being responsible for their actions vs. needing to have combined accounts to ensure accountability by both parties.
But in the situation above, it appears he’s just writing a check to counteract the situation anyway. What’s he going to do, make her not have a dime to her name the rest of the year?  If it was combined, he’d at least see that she had 41 manicures in July and could address things. 

But in the situation above, it appears he’s just writing a check to counteract the situation anyway. What’s he going to do, make her not have a dime to her name the rest of the year?  If it was combined, he’d at least see that she had 41 manicures in July and could address things. 
dicey either way

Here is the funny thing, my wife really doesn’t spend money on herself. She isn’t into big salon days and doesn’t spend on jewelry or clothes for herself. Quite confident the vast majority is spent on kids or stuff for the house.

For the record, we are in good shape financially. Lots of equity in our home, significant chunk of money in retirement funds, no debt beyond the remaining mortgage and one car. Putting away money each month for our kid’s education, etc.

Really just trying to gauge what others are dealing with in terms of spending.

Last edited by a moderator:
been married 27 years, loooong ago my wife stopped caring about the finances, so i took over.  we had separate accounts when we met and kind of kept that shtick as we evolved.  my check goes to my account, hers to her account.  our joint money is in my bank and we each contribute to the house fund, i write a check from her account to the house fund each payday.  leaves us each with personal spending money and house spending money.  she hasn’t used cash in over 2 years and every so often will have a shopping spree, but if she has the money, who cares (she usually does).

i basically keep 2 check books and a 3rd accounting for joint funds.  hard to explain, but it all works.  she has a bag and shoe problem and i have a small warehouse in her closet.  she works her butt off and pulls in more than me.  who am i to say she can’t have something?  i just inform her of her balance every so often if she has too many sprees and not enough funds.

I think $3k to $3.5k per month would be par for the course around here.  And I think that's right in the range where Mrs Johnnycakes' spending falls.  

I have a detailed post in a thread somewhere.  I have reigned in my wife substantially.

That #### was out of control.

about $30 a week.

Didn't include her gym membership, which is expensive but well worth it!

She spends a bunch. She makes good money and saves a lot so no complaints. 

If I thought it was irresponsible we’d probably discuss.

The optimal plan is to arrange your finances so that you're not affected negatively long term...period.  Whatever you have to do, to do that is up to you and your spouse. 

Last edited by a moderator:
been married 27 years, loooong ago my wife stopped caring about the finances, so i took over.  we had separate accounts when we met and kind of kept that shtick as we evolved.  my check goes to my account, hers to her account.  our joint money is in my bank and we each contribute to the house fund, i write a check from her account to the house fund each payday.  leaves us each with personal spending money and house spending money.  she hasn’t used cash in over 2 years and every so often will have a shopping spree, but if she has the money, who cares (she usually does).

i basically keep 2 check books and a 3rd accounting for joint funds.  hard to explain, but it all works.  she has a bag and shoe problem and i have a small warehouse in her closet.  she works her butt off and pulls in more than me.  who am i to say she can’t have something?  i just inform her of her balance every so often if she has too many sprees and not enough funds.
cool partnership going.  keep on like your keepin on.

We both spend too much. Need to do a better job budgeting. Joint account, I pay all the bills. She does most of the shopping including groceries, clothing, etc. I do go occasionally as well.

My wife spends next to nothing. She isn't a shopper. We pretty much agree on every purchase whether it is mine or hers. I'm very happy the only money discussions I've ever had are about which type of investment we want to put some cash in too.

Users who are viewing this thread