What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How OTL do you think a commish like this is? (1 Viewer)

cloudofdust

Footballguy
In one of my leagues, once or twice a season one of the co-commissioners ends up saying something like this (which he just emailed out to the listserv) when someone suggests a hypothetical or quasi-hypothetical or actual change to our league format/rules:

"[....]in any case, the league is fine and none of these rules will be discussed as possible changes now or ever."

Assume, as is the case, that the people teeing up the discussion are reasonable, normal members of the league.

Also assume the commish actually means those words (even if there'd certainly be mutiny if he ever tried enforcing them). Do you think they're reasonable? Or is that a commish who is way OTL into dictator-land?

Just curious, as I've tried pointing out to this commish repeatedly that his view on managing the league is way off from any/every other commish I've ever dealt with (including myself -- I'll let almost anything go to referndum in the leagues I run.)

Worth adding that the co-commish in question is a good guy but very very much, in general, stubborn/pig-headed/refuses to try to understand opinions that differ with his/etc -- we're talking about someone who is perpetually convinced his view is by natural law the right one.

Yep, sounds like a #####. Of course that's totally unreasonable. But as long as everyone keeps coming back to play every year, he probably thinks his position is justified.

Form a new league with the guys that don't like it, or oust the commish,

or move on. If this is to much trouble keep putting up with it. As commish

they'll see stuff they don't like but they at least have to allow a vote on

rules.

When I commished my league I always took suggestions and had a good discussion on possible changes. I think it's frusrating if you see problems and you have a commish who won't consider them at all. In that case I wouldn't be in the league the next year. It's not worth it

I don't know, I think the commissioner has made his position pretty clear. It's not like he's surprising you all with it.

From time to time, I'll start up a league with some weird rules, just to see how they play. I make it clear from the get-go what I'm doing and why. Invariably, I'll always get some traditionalists who complain about my odd rules and ask about changing them. I tend to be pretty open to suggestions and what-not, especially in established dynasties, but at some point... the whole purpose of me creating this league was for me to implement these rules, and I made that clear up front, and if you don't like it there are many more traditional leagues that will probably be a better fit for you. If I went through the trouble to set up and run a league because I wanted it done a particular way, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to keep it that way. Or even if the rules aren't particularly odd, if I start up a non-PPR league because I don't like PPR scoring, I'd rather not have the league voting to switch to PPR one year in. That was kind of the whole reason I started a non-PPR league.

Now, obviously this depends on the rules we're talking about. I mean, if people want to move waivers from Tuesday to Wednesday and he's balking, then he's just a jerk. That's not trying to maintain the core of the league, that's refusing to put any effort towards accommodating your leaguemates.

Users who are viewing this thread