What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How would we rank these 5 RBs (1 Viewer)

travdogg

Footballguy
I thought these 5 RBs were very interesting in that they are all top-10 guys, but not truly elite guys. I'm wondering what the shark pool consensus is on them. I've seen a MJD v. DMAC and MJD v. Lynch thread, but I'd like to see a general tier discussion as opposed to a him or him discussion.

1. Joseph Addai, he was struggling at the start of the year, but was playing some great defenses with a depleted supporting cast and an injured QB. Now that those three problems seem to be fixed, Addai is hurt. While I don't believe his injury is going to effect him in the long run, it is a pretty big missed chance for a guy who seems to always have a few nicks each year. He's probably the least talented runner I'm going to list, and people seem to believe talent is more important than situation, but I've always believed that the Colts are the exception to that rule since their situation hasn't changed in a decade and likely won't until Peyton hangs em' up which could be another 4-5 years.

2. Marshawn Lynch, the guy looked great as a rookie and is only 22, but I really haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Only 3.5 ypc despite being in exactly the same situation he was in a year ago. Is it possible he's just suffering from the dreaded sophomore slump?

3. Maurice Jones-Drew, how long until he supplants Taylor? I hear the Westbrook comparisons but I don't see them. He's a better runner than Westbrook, but nowhere near the receiver, is anyone? I'm starting to think a more apt comparison is Tiki Barber.

4. Marion Barber, doesn't seem quite as explosive in a starting role, still great, but just not quite as much explosiveness as we've seen the past 2 seasons. TD's carry him and of all the guys I'm listing he has probably the most long-term competition for carries in Felix Jones.

5. Darren McFadden, had one big game and got hurt, sounds like he's healthy again, but how will the running game look with Kiffin gone? I think he's a very special talent, probably the most talented player on this list, but that situation is easily the worst on the list. What kind of payoff are we expecting here and how long will we have to wait for it?

I thought these 5 RBs were very interesting in that they are all top-10 guys, but not truly elite guys. I'm wondering what the shark pool consensus is on them. I've seen a MJD v. DMAC and MJD v. Lynch thread, but I'd like to see a general tier discussion as opposed to a him or him discussion.1. Joseph Addai, he was struggling at the start of the year, but was playing some great defenses with a depleted supporting cast and an injured QB. Now that those three problems seem to be fixed, Addai is hurt. While I don't believe his injury is going to effect him in the long run, it is a pretty big missed chance for a guy who seems to always have a few nicks each year. He's probably the least talented runner I'm going to list, and people seem to believe talent is more important than situation, but I've always believed that the Colts are the exception to that rule since their situation hasn't changed in a decade and likely won't until Peyton hangs em' up which could be another 4-5 years. 2. Marshawn Lynch, the guy looked great as a rookie and is only 22, but I really haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Only 3.5 ypc despite being in exactly the same situation he was in a year ago. Is it possible he's just suffering from the dreaded sophomore slump?3. Maurice Jones-Drew, how long until he supplants Taylor? I hear the Westbrook comparisons but I don't see them. He's a better runner than Westbrook, but nowhere near the receiver, is anyone? I'm starting to think a more apt comparison is Tiki Barber.4. Marion Barber, doesn't seem quite as explosive in a starting role, still great, but just not quite as much explosiveness as we've seen the past 2 seasons. TD's carry him and of all the guys I'm listing he has probably the most long-term competition for carries in Felix Jones.5. Darren McFadden, had one big game and got hurt, sounds like he's healthy again, but how will the running game look with Kiffin gone? I think he's a very special talent, probably the most talented player on this list, but that situation is easily the worst on the list. What kind of payoff are we expecting here and how long will we have to wait for it?
Lynch - great young player on a young team that likes to run the ballMJD - once he gets that job he will be very good just when is it going to happen for christ sakeAddai - good rb in a great situationMcFadden - i agree great talent on a subpar teamBarber - some might disagree but jones is too good to list Barber extremely high

I thought these 5 RBs were very interesting in that they are all top-10 guys, but not truly elite guys. I'm wondering what the shark pool consensus is on them. I've seen a MJD v. DMAC and MJD v. Lynch thread, but I'd like to see a general tier discussion as opposed to a him or him discussion.1. Joseph Addai, he was struggling at the start of the year, but was playing some great defenses with a depleted supporting cast and an injured QB. Now that those three problems seem to be fixed, Addai is hurt. While I don't believe his injury is going to effect him in the long run, it is a pretty big missed chance for a guy who seems to always have a few nicks each year. He's probably the least talented runner I'm going to list, and people seem to believe talent is more important than situation, but I've always believed that the Colts are the exception to that rule since their situation hasn't changed in a decade and likely won't until Peyton hangs em' up which could be another 4-5 years. 2. Marshawn Lynch, the guy looked great as a rookie and is only 22, but I really haven't been impressed with him at all this year. Only 3.5 ypc despite being in exactly the same situation he was in a year ago. Is it possible he's just suffering from the dreaded sophomore slump?3. Maurice Jones-Drew, how long until he supplants Taylor? I hear the Westbrook comparisons but I don't see them. He's a better runner than Westbrook, but nowhere near the receiver, is anyone? I'm starting to think a more apt comparison is Tiki Barber.4. Marion Barber, doesn't seem quite as explosive in a starting role, still great, but just not quite as much explosiveness as we've seen the past 2 seasons. TD's carry him and of all the guys I'm listing he has probably the most long-term competition for carries in Felix Jones.5. Darren McFadden, had one big game and got hurt, sounds like he's healthy again, but how will the running game look with Kiffin gone? I think he's a very special talent, probably the most talented player on this list, but that situation is easily the worst on the list. What kind of payoff are we expecting here and how long will we have to wait for it?
Rankings based on PPRMJD- I can see him as a top 5 RB by the end of next year, the next WestbrookBarber- Felix should keep chipping away at his carries more and more as time goes onAddai- one of the first weeks this year I thought he ran better than ever, since then "not so much"Lynch- does not seem to be as special as we first thoughtMcFadden- never thought his game would translate well to the NFL

MJDLynchMcfaddenBarberAddai
Any particular reason you think Addai is so far behind the other four?
I'll take a stab at it. Addai is a good running back in a great situaion and he seems to be injury prone. I doubt he could handle the full load. Mcfadden hasn't exactly roared out of the starting gates either but he still gets a bump for the unknown/productive college player factor.Barber has been pretty impressive but if Felix continues to be productive with the ball in his hands he may be on the upswing of shared backfield where MJD is on the downswing. Lynch seems to be in a similar situation and is losing touches to Fred Jackson.

Based on fantasy value?

MJD

Barber

Addai

Lynch

McFadden

Based on talent?

MJD

Barber

Addai

Lynch

McFadden

It's possible McFadden supplants Lynch on both lists. I'm not sold on Lynch at all, and I own him in dynasty. Reminds me too much, ironically enough, of the two backs that preceded him in Buffalo- Willis McGahee and Travis Henry. They're all NFL-caliber talents, but nothing all that special in an NFL context. All of them can put up strong aggregate numbers if you get them a huge dose of touches, but none of them are as talented as the RBs who'll wind up finishing around them, and none of them possessed the staying power of the RBs who they wind up finishing around.

Users who are viewing this thread